Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

NBA 2K has never had reliable servers for online gaming, and it's starting to take a toll on their image. With EA out of the NBA game for now, it seems as though 2K is wasting valuable time to recreate what is broken.

Too many times gamers are disconnected in the middle of a game, too many times you aren't able to even log on to your Online Association, and too many times (every day to be exact) are the servers down for maintenance.

So with that said, I ask you, OS staff writers, are NBA 2K12's online gaffes a major concern?

Read More - OS Roundtable: Are 2K12's Online Gaffes a Major Concern?

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 qnzballa5 @ 10/13/11 04:05 PM
Of course its a major concern...for offline gamers its not going to be.. For Online gamers like myself its a major concern.. Not just the servers tho but its features.. Not saving playbooks, coach settings etc.. Yet we had this for 2k9 n b4.. Sad

# 2 hoop xyience @ 10/13/11 04:08 PM
If the game was sold new at 35$ then NO...

But for 65$ YES its a major concern..

Why settle for half of a game sold at full price..

# 3 RedSceptile @ 10/13/11 04:14 PM
I'll keep it simple

# 4 HipHopandBasketball @ 10/13/11 04:15 PM
Online has been a pain for me. When I get into a game, right after tip off a message will come and say that the game has encountered an "error". Cmon 2k. If you guys would just fix the servers. And also the nba 2k website still hasn't come up yet. It just says "coming soon".

And then when I get in a game, it freakin ridiculous. Cheesers have found the weaknesses in the game already and its only been out for 2 weeks. Last year, cheesers abused the hopstep and the euro step online. 2k fixed this. but now cheesers are abusing 3pointers and steals. In this game you can steal almost anything, and if you get 3 inches of space at the 3 point line you can knock down the shot. 2k needs to turn the steal and 3pt success down a bit. if they can do that and fix the servers, 2k12 would be PERFECT.

# 5 JWiLL02 @ 10/13/11 04:16 PM
My biggest issue is the removal of features/modes, it just doesn't make any sense. 2k may have the only game this generation that is moving backwards online every year. In 2k8 we had ranked and unranked lobbies of different difficulty levels, leagues, tournaments, saved settings, a working VIP system, player % ranks, a functioning leaderboard, etc.

Now we have....quick games, team up and a poorly functioning online association? It's just baffling. I don't understand the decision making.

I'd like to hear one good reason why they removed single season leagues. The only people who were really asking for online association are here on OS. 95% of 2k online gamers would rather single season leagues where you can choose the # of teams. Even those rarely finished because people would become inactive, what hope does a 30 team association have?

Even looking past all the server and latency issues, they're moving in the wrong direction online. I can't think of a single other gaming franchise this generation where that holds true.

# 6 UniversalNoob @ 10/13/11 04:22 PM
It is a great issue. I'm a member of a online league community. We are over 30 players and are now in a lockout like the Real NBA players. locked out from 2ksports. We're playing on PC and there its not possible to play a game in online association, cause the benchmark is not saving for online association. and with no benchmark, the game forces you to play with 15 fps. all we can do is wait for a patch, but in the recent announce, ronnie just speaks of patch headed to microsoft/sony, so i think, patch is not for pc...

# 7 truintellectplaya @ 10/13/11 04:26 PM
Nope, this has been a issue for quite some time. As I have stated the last time a played a 2K game online was NBA 2K8, some claim that was there best online game and it failed because of plug pullers and such. Did I stop buying NBA 2K even though Live was on the market, NO. It is a concern but it is not a major concern. A major concern must have major penalties for handling it wrong and there are no major penalties for 2K not having it's online game correct, just like there were never any major penalties for MLB THE Show not holding up online. Answer this for me, why have I never seen a roundtable about MLB THE Show and how poor there online operated?

Once again, I think people are reaching with this. Yes, I want it fixed even though I am not into online like that, but making article after article beating a dead horse is really not the answer. At the end of the day, 2K will not be good online next year either and they will not lose significant share to Live. Too strong of product recognition at this point.

# 8 JCEVO @ 10/13/11 04:29 PM
sports games online period is A MAJOR CONCERN. i havent played a GREAT ONLINE SPORTS GAME YET and i have played great online games is other GENRE.

i hate that people bash 2k so bad online but think EA is great at it. i laugh at the mere thought of it

i want online to feel like offline as close as possible so no lag compensation, same game tempo, no disconnection unless the players do it. streamlined play to play basically

# 9 qnzballa5 @ 10/13/11 04:36 PM
I agree jwill thats whats more concerning to me. I've been a fan of 2k since dreamcast days.. Its sad to see where online has become.. Lets not talk about how bad the servers r for a second cuz we all know about the network errors, lag, takes so long to get into quick match, n teamup.. Lets talk about the features..

We had an Online menu for online option for 2k9,2k8 n every 2k before that.. It was to save playbooks, rotations, coach settings. What happen 2k? 2k10 yall took all of those features out y??? For online yall used to show opponent records, rank, dnf before every gm now we cant?? And another thing that excuse about taking rank lobbies out is old now.. Listen certain gamers r gonna cheat regardless but have yall noticed ever since yall took the rank lobbies out there has been serious server issues.. Y not give us a choice to play halloffame rank?? Or if the casual gamerz want to play allstar then let them.. Y restrict gamers to one setting? This way yall can please the hardcore gamers n casual??

I mean if yall keep saying gamers will cheat n lose on purpose then get a better matchmaking system then.. Let it be random for rank but let us choose if we want to get matched up with halloffame rank sim setting or not.. N hae leaderboards for that.. Let leaderboards be about quality of games not about who can play 500 games in 1 month come on 2k..

There is so much i can talk about online it can be pages worth how i can make online much better.. Just do something about it.. Bring back unrank lobbies for halloffame come on 2k.. Y is the jumpshot feedback gone for online?? Y is it allowed for cheaters to still dropglitch since 2k2 on dreamcast?? Get it together for online asap.. No more excuses

# 10 ManiacMatt1782 @ 10/13/11 04:36 PM
Absofreakinloutley!

# 11 qnzballa5 @ 10/13/11 04:41 PM
Also one thing i noticed.. Not trying to bash offline gamers but ive seen them come into these threads n say who cares about online.. Of course they will say that so their opinion doesnt matter.. They say they dont play online cuz of cheesers etc.. Ok if u dont play online then y come into an online thread saying its not a concern?? Of course its not going to b a concern for u if u dont play it lmaoo ignorant fans.. For serious online gamers like myself we all know its a major concern n has been a concern for many years with their series.. Its getting to a point where they are going backwards n doesnt know how to treat Online gamers..

# 12 NINJAK2 @ 10/13/11 04:47 PM
It is a big concern imo. I don't think it's critical to the overall success of the title but it is a problem that is holding this title back from being the best it can be. IMO the most fun I have in 2k was in team up mode when you had 4 other people on your squad all trying to work together to beat 5 other users on the other side. On the rare occasions that I was able to connect and finish the whole game it was a great experience(give or take the no team play shot chuckers you could randomly get stuck with). 2k12 may be worse this year in this regard as far as server stability goes in this mode.

It's perplexing to me that games like COD or battlefield bc2 can have up to 24 players online in the same online game with rockets flying everywhere, vehicles, explosions, and collapsing buildings and suffer very little in performance and connectivity issues while 2k12 is riddled with them. They should really hire a consultant from Valve, Dice, or Infinity Ward to help them develop their servers. It's truly approaching pathetic.

# 13 JCEVO @ 10/13/11 04:55 PM
well ninja sports game are totally different beast than shooters. shooters are not that hard to make a streamlined online game. everything about shooters online is simple

# 14 skillz7854 @ 10/13/11 04:56 PM
Online is what sells NBA 2K

# 15 Pete1210 @ 10/13/11 04:59 PM
What is upsetting is the unfulfilled promises.

From the Online Association Insight:

Quote:
Private Associations allow for a greater sense of league customization and, essentially, allow the commissioner to control just about anything that happens within the league.
Yet there is almost no control whatsoever. There was infinitely more control and customization in the old online leagues.

# 16 hallauer @ 10/13/11 05:06 PM
Great article! I completely agree that 2K's inability to maintain a solid online game is causing them to lose a lot of respect with the online sports gamers.

# 17 DubTrey1 @ 10/13/11 05:22 PM
Online is a major miss for 2K. They really need to address this longterm if they are ever to truly dominate the genre once EA gets back in the fight.

# 18 NINJAK2 @ 10/13/11 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCEVO
well ninja sports game are totally different beast than shooters. shooters are not that hard to make a streamlined online game. everything about shooters online is simple
I'm no dev JCEVO so I'll take your word for it but that is no excuse for 2k's servers to be as bad as they are....

# 19 tril @ 10/13/11 05:39 PM
I dont play sports games on line, but I would have to say its a major concern.
Maybe 2k should consider outsourcing their online services to a more experienced company., and if they already do this, maybe they should find a new provider.
Cost , is what is most likely holding 2k back from providing a stable onlineenvironment.
IMO, I dont think they have their business model for sports online gaming hashed out yet. I dont think they even sat down and thought out plans that included scalablity issues, etc.

I would hate for 2k to lose business becuase of this.

# 20 Gotmadskillzson @ 10/13/11 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillz7854
Online is what sells NBA 2K
Online is what sells videogames period this generation.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.