Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

The NBA’s Greatest is about to take it to the streets in Times Square.

2K Sports has finally announced the known Legend’s Showcase DLC, which consists of five new game modes: HORSE, Two-on-Two Teammate Challenge, Three-on-Three Era Challenge, 21 and Pick-Up. You will also be able to take the NBA’s Greatest teams into online quick play. Another key point that was mentioned, was the roster sharing between current and classic teams, allowing you to place legends on current teams and take them into Association. However, unlike what most gamers were hoping, Crew is not part of the content.

“One of the biggest things I want to stress about the DLC project is that we’ve been working on it since the early stages of 2K12’s development, so we aren’t just trying to throw something together to charge people money,” said Ben Bishop, 2K Sports producer. “As the game finished up, the 2K12 team sent us the final version to help us put the finishing touches on the DLC.”

One thing Bishop really wanted to let gamers know was that his team really wanted the DLC to stand apart from the retail version. The DLC’s graphics have a cel-shaded look to them, giving gamers a whole new 2K experience.

In HORSE, you can re create **** battles just as MJ and Bird battled it out for a Big Mac in the old ’93 commercial. The shots you can take range from a simple dunk or jump shot, to trick shots, like standing on top of a building or interacting with your surroundings.

The Two-on-Two Teammate Challenge is similar to the old school NBA JAM ladder system. There are 15 duos that you will take on in the challenge. Starting from top to bottom, you must find a way to topple each and every team. Teams include the obvious of Jordan/Pippen and Bird/McHale, but even branch into the less popular tandems of Payton/Kemp, Mullen/Hardaway and Mourning/Johnson.

The big prize for completing the ladder is the ability to take any of the players on the NBA Greatest rosters into the Creating A Legend mode.

“One of our big focuses in the content was to incorporate the legends,” said Bishop. “We wanted to find another way to feature them in ways we haven’t done before. The NBA’s Greatest is focused on who is the best team of all time, but the Legends Showcase gives you the opportunity to find out who is the best player of all time.”

The Three-on-Three Era Challenge allows you to take the best threesomes from each era and pit them against each other. You’ll be facing teams like the Celtics form the 60s, the Lakers from the 80s and the Bulls from the 90s. Once this mode is complete, you will be able to combine any current and classic players onto a team and form ultimate domination.

Pick-Up is the mode that gives you the most freedom. From anything to a one-on-one match up to a full on five-on-five scrimmage, Pick-Up will let you create the most random rosters from a pool of over 300 players, half current and half classic.

Included in the classic roster will be players that aren’t even in the retail game. You’ll see the likes of Kevin Johnson, Bob Pettit, George Mikan and Rick Barry to name a few. The list of new legends will slowly be revealed between now and the unannounced release date. Also to be noted is that players in the Legend’s Showcase DLC will be re created to be at the peak of their careers. For example, Bill Walton appears in NBA’s Greatest as his career is dwindling down on the 1985-’86 Celtics, but in the DLC he will appear on the ’78 Blazers. Current players like Jason Kidd, Tim Duncan and Grant Hill will also be re rated so you can use them at the peak of their careers. Disappointingly, though, the jerseys and players that are added to the DLC will not be available anywhere in the retail game.

Last, but most definitely not least, you will have the ability to take your My Player into Pick-Up, HORSE and 21.

“If you haven’t built up you’re My Player, it’s going be tough,” said Bishop. You can’t beat MJ, Bird or Magic one-on-one if you’re rated 85.”

All in all it sounds like the DLC, with the $10 price tag, will be a solid addition to NBA 2K12.

“This is something we’ve wanted to do from the get-go,” said Bishop. “We saw how 2K12 was taking shape and wanted to extend it even further. We knew there was a lot more we could do with the legends, so we went with this. It definitely stands as its own product.”

Official Press Release

2K Sports Announces NBA® 2K12 Legends Showcase: New Downloadable Basketball Experience

Unique add-on content includes hours of additional gameplay features and modes

New York, NY – October 20, 2011 – 2K Sports today announced the upcoming release of “Legends Showcase,” a downloadable add-on for NBA® 2K12, the latest installment in thetop-selling and top-rated NBA video game simulation franchise*. Legends Showcase will be available this holiday season for $9.99 via PlayStation®Network for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and for 800 Microsoft Points via Xbox LIVE®Marketplace for the Xbox 360®video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.

Legends Showcase creates a truly unique basketball experience for all fans, featuring a new, cell-shaded art style set in New York City’s iconic Time Square. This downloadable add-on enhances NBA 2K12 by providing a never-seen-before gaming experience, unlocking hours of additional gameplay and giving fans an all-new way to end the debate over who is the greatest basketball player of all time.

Legends Showcase allows gamers to select from more than 150 of the NBA’s all-time greatest players, including Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Dr. J, and compete in authentic pick-up games from 1-on-1 up to 5-on-5. Legends Showcase also features mini-games, such as 21 and H-O-R-S-E, along with other new features like the 2-on-2 Teammate Challenge and 3-on-3 Era Challenge. Gamers can also unlock current NBA players to create unique match-ups between legends and current stars. Finally, for the ultimate challenge, gamers can bring their My Player into the mix and battle the legends of the NBA to see how they stack up against the best ever.

As an added bonus, Legends Showcase also includes Classic Quick Match, a new mode that is opened up in the main game allowing gamers to play online with the NBA’s Greatest teams in a regular simulation setting.

NBA 2K12 is now available at leading video game retailers nationwide for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 system, PlayStation 2 system, Wii, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system and Windows PC.

NBA 2K12 is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB.

NBA 2K12 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K12 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Colts18 @ 10/20/11 02:43 PM
I guess it would be like if you want to play COD with your friends and one of you have the new maps and the other doesn't?

# 62 EmmittSmithx22x @ 10/20/11 02:45 PM
1) I can't believe they took crew OUT of the game when it already worked to a point and was IN the game last year. (just fix servers and lag and this would have been hands down my favorite feature)

2)why aren't you adding crews back into the game? (this mode was amazing to play with friends, and despite its issues it was fun. Which is why I play games...to have fun...) Hopefully, this mode will be added in a patch....because if I hear that it will be a DLC that costs money....then I'm going to have a problem with that.

3) The DLC sounds great and all....but don't you think you could have had this in the game rather than charge us 2 times? Horse, 21, 2 on 2, 5 on 5, pick-up mode....and any others that i might have missed..all sounds awesome...but these could have easily been in game modes... I am having plenty of fun playing myplayer, and enjoying everything else you've put into the game already.... but I wont be buying the DLC because i don't feel that its right for you to be charging us 2 times just so we can get extra stuff that could have been put into the game (minus the the cell-shaded graphics...what were you thinking on that one?)

4) Despite my first 3 points, I still have to say this. 2k12 is an amazing game and I love it because you improved on everything you had from last year. But this announcement did nothing for me. It actually made me a little mad that this stuff wasn't included in the game.... You held out on us 2k...that's not cool.

5) But, your still a great developer that listens to your fans. So please hear this. If you do put crews back in the game....don't charge us for it. Because it was a free mode included with the game last year. And the DLC is great, it has good features... just don't overcharge people for it. If the DLC is more than 5$ i don't think anyone should buy it because really its an expanded roster with 4-5 game modes that could have easily been included in the game...(come to think of it.....weren't these modes in last years game!??!? the whole Sprite themed street section? I could be wrong....but still i know some of it was in there....) If that is the case.... your charging people for stuff you included in past titles...and thats just not right.....

As the guys on ESPN would say.... COME ON....MAN!

# 63 STLRams @ 10/20/11 02:45 PM
Quote: (Another key point that was mentioned, was the roster sharing between current and classic teams, allowing you to place legends on current teams and take them into Association.)

So does this confirm that we will be able to edit/release legend teams players offline, without doing the association work around. Hopefully we can edit generic players and add missing classic players. Heck if 2K is adding more players they maybe filling in some of those classic players. I saw Kevin Johnson on the list so I definately want to recreate the 93 Suns now. The option to play with legend teams online and have full roster sharing/editing with the classic teams offline is HUGE to me, hopefully 2K comes through on this.

# 64 BRxSKINSx @ 10/20/11 03:06 PM
Dang....I was thinking crew was gonna be part of the DLC...oh well, bring it on anyways....

# 65 Csmooove32 @ 10/20/11 03:24 PM
terrible move by 2k...if you cant bring the new legends or jerseys in the retail game its pointless

# 66 chadskee @ 10/20/11 03:25 PM
Quote:
Disappointingly, though, the jerseys and players that are added to the DLC will not be available anywhere in the retail game.
So the new players cannot be used to make custom rosters? No buy from me.

# 67 Anaxamander @ 10/20/11 03:27 PM
Quote:
In HORSE, you can re create **** battles just as MJ and Bird battled it out for a Big Mac in the old ’93 commercial.
I just want to know what word could possibly be censored here. None of the cuss words I know of would logically make sense... unless that Jordan-Bird commercial was a lot different than I remember.

# 68 Goffs @ 10/20/11 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxamander
I just want to know what word could possibly be censored here. None of the cuss words I know of would logically make sense... unless that Jordan-Bird commercial was a lot different than I remember.
E P I C

# 69 ZoneSix @ 10/20/11 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxamander
e p i c ....

# 70 MarvellousOne @ 10/20/11 03:37 PM
Hmmmm...I doubt I will spend 10 dollars on this, its cool to be able to go online with classic teams, but the fact that you have to buy this for the chance to unlock adding legends to current team is just stupid, when last year it was already in the game. Another thing that is cool is the new legends being added but what kills that is the fact that they can't be used in the retail game which sounds like you can't add them onto any regular or classic teams its just for the newer game modes I suppose which is definitely pointless to me since people want to be able to recreate classic teams and current teams.

# 71 Pared @ 10/20/11 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
E P I C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneSix
e p i c ....
I agree - incredible post!

# 72 mlp111 @ 10/20/11 03:48 PM
no thanks, have the pc version, not wasting more money on something like this that should be free.... especially since online is flop again, pc version for me for now on!

# 73 xrobbyh14x @ 10/20/11 03:57 PM
c l a s s i c was the word if you guys weren't just sarcasming. Haha.

No buy from me. Not interested in something that isn't worth ten bucks. I'd have gladly paid ten bucks to crew, but hey, different strokes for different folks I guess.

# 74 TUSS11 @ 10/20/11 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
2K Sports has finally announced the known Legend’s Showcase DLC, which consists of five new game modes: HORSE,Two-on-Two Teammate Challenge, Three-on-Three Era Challenge, 21 and Pick-Up. You will also be able to take the NBA’s Greatest teams into online quick play.

HORSE - new
Using NBA's Greatest teams online - new
Two-on-Two Teammate Challenge - fancier name, but in 2K11
Three-on-Three Era Challenge - fancier name, but in 2K11
21 - in 2K11
Pick-Up - in 2K11

So that's one new mode, and one new feature for $10. Really???

Quote:
“ we aren’t just trying to throw something together to charge people money,” said Ben Bishop, 2K Sports producer.
No, you're taking features out that were in 2K11, and charging us $10 to get them back.

Quote:
However, unlike what most gamers were hoping, Crew is not part of the content.
FAIL!

# 75 EmmittSmithx22x @ 10/20/11 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSS11
HORSE - new
Using NBA's Greatest teams online - new
Two-on-Two Teammate Challenge - fancier name, but in 2K11
Three-on-Three Era Challenge - fancier name, but in 2K11
21 - in 2K11
Pick-Up - in 2K11

So that's one new mode, and one new feature for $10. Really???

No, you're taking features out that were in 2K11, and charging us $10 to get them back.

FAIL!
All I have to say is thank god I am not alone in feeling the way you do.... And you took everything I said and cut it down to like 1/10th. :P Clear, Concise, To the point. Just the way i like it.

# 76 oldschool127 @ 10/20/11 04:20 PM
This is a joke. I don't want to play with the cel-shading option. Not into players looking like cartoons. Just another gimmick. I already paid $60 for the game. Now I have to fork over another $10 to be able to play with the legends that I already unlocked? Greed. Plain and simple. They are just testing the waters. In the future you can look forward to games that are missing modes that we have to buy as DLC. Think Tiger Woods Golf. I wouldn't be surprised if the game ships missing half the NBA courts and you have to purchase the other half for $10 like Tiger Woods does with courses that used to come included with the game. It's bad enough that I pay $60/year for a glorified roster update, now the game comes incomplete? That would be like if I owned a car dealership and sold new cars missing the muffler, passenger seat, and two rear seats. Sorry, the seats are "optional."

Some of you might not care but I find myself buying fewer and fewer games from the greedy companies. I think $60 is a fair price for a COMPLETE game. You want to sell half a game, then sell it to me for $30.

# 77 oldschool127 @ 10/20/11 04:25 PM
And just to be clear, I spent many hours trying to figure out the workaround to be able to trade and release legends. It wasn't easy. And it was beyond frusterating. Not to mention it was still flawed. There are a lot of bugs this year when you bring legends into Association. Now you want me to pay for that right? I may actually sell this game. Between the lockout, the game being over-hyped, and now this, I think I'll pass on 2K basketball this year. I have other games to play.

# 78 TUSS11 @ 10/20/11 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmittSmithx22x
All I have to say is thank god I am not alone in feeling the way you do.... And you took everything I said and cut it down to like 1/10th. :P Clear, Concise, To the point. Just the way i like it.
I seriously think they did this to pay for the rights to all the classic players. So I have to play $70 to get a full game just because they added players like Tree Rollins and LaPhonso Ellis?

# 79 Pared @ 10/20/11 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSS11
I seriously think they did this to pay for the rights to all the classic players. So I have to play $70 to get a full game just because they added players like Tree Rollins and LaPhonso Ellis?
You don't HAVE TO do anything.

Not interested? Don't buy it. This is a simple concept.

Your game will not dissolve or anything if you don't buy the DLC. You knew going in what was offered to you for your $60 so all these claims about a "half" game are silly.

# 80 kolanji @ 10/20/11 04:38 PM
the cel shaded look is really gonna make the game feel and look more like a new game instead of a just an odd on.....very good idea VC am all aboard

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.