Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

The NBA’s Greatest is about to take it to the streets in Times Square.

2K Sports has finally announced the known Legend’s Showcase DLC, which consists of five new game modes: HORSE, Two-on-Two Teammate Challenge, Three-on-Three Era Challenge, 21 and Pick-Up. You will also be able to take the NBA’s Greatest teams into online quick play. Another key point that was mentioned, was the roster sharing between current and classic teams, allowing you to place legends on current teams and take them into Association. However, unlike what most gamers were hoping, Crew is not part of the content.

“One of the biggest things I want to stress about the DLC project is that we’ve been working on it since the early stages of 2K12’s development, so we aren’t just trying to throw something together to charge people money,” said Ben Bishop, 2K Sports producer. “As the game finished up, the 2K12 team sent us the final version to help us put the finishing touches on the DLC.”

One thing Bishop really wanted to let gamers know was that his team really wanted the DLC to stand apart from the retail version. The DLC’s graphics have a cel-shaded look to them, giving gamers a whole new 2K experience.

In HORSE, you can re create **** battles just as MJ and Bird battled it out for a Big Mac in the old ’93 commercial. The shots you can take range from a simple dunk or jump shot, to trick shots, like standing on top of a building or interacting with your surroundings.

The Two-on-Two Teammate Challenge is similar to the old school NBA JAM ladder system. There are 15 duos that you will take on in the challenge. Starting from top to bottom, you must find a way to topple each and every team. Teams include the obvious of Jordan/Pippen and Bird/McHale, but even branch into the less popular tandems of Payton/Kemp, Mullen/Hardaway and Mourning/Johnson.

The big prize for completing the ladder is the ability to take any of the players on the NBA Greatest rosters into the Creating A Legend mode.

“One of our big focuses in the content was to incorporate the legends,” said Bishop. “We wanted to find another way to feature them in ways we haven’t done before. The NBA’s Greatest is focused on who is the best team of all time, but the Legends Showcase gives you the opportunity to find out who is the best player of all time.”

The Three-on-Three Era Challenge allows you to take the best threesomes from each era and pit them against each other. You’ll be facing teams like the Celtics form the 60s, the Lakers from the 80s and the Bulls from the 90s. Once this mode is complete, you will be able to combine any current and classic players onto a team and form ultimate domination.

Pick-Up is the mode that gives you the most freedom. From anything to a one-on-one match up to a full on five-on-five scrimmage, Pick-Up will let you create the most random rosters from a pool of over 300 players, half current and half classic.

Included in the classic roster will be players that aren’t even in the retail game. You’ll see the likes of Kevin Johnson, Bob Pettit, George Mikan and Rick Barry to name a few. The list of new legends will slowly be revealed between now and the unannounced release date. Also to be noted is that players in the Legend’s Showcase DLC will be re created to be at the peak of their careers. For example, Bill Walton appears in NBA’s Greatest as his career is dwindling down on the 1985-’86 Celtics, but in the DLC he will appear on the ’78 Blazers. Current players like Jason Kidd, Tim Duncan and Grant Hill will also be re rated so you can use them at the peak of their careers. Disappointingly, though, the jerseys and players that are added to the DLC will not be available anywhere in the retail game.

Last, but most definitely not least, you will have the ability to take your My Player into Pick-Up, HORSE and 21.

“If you haven’t built up you’re My Player, it’s going be tough,” said Bishop. You can’t beat MJ, Bird or Magic one-on-one if you’re rated 85.”

All in all it sounds like the DLC, with the $10 price tag, will be a solid addition to NBA 2K12.

“This is something we’ve wanted to do from the get-go,” said Bishop. “We saw how 2K12 was taking shape and wanted to extend it even further. We knew there was a lot more we could do with the legends, so we went with this. It definitely stands as its own product.”

Official Press Release

2K Sports Announces NBA® 2K12 Legends Showcase: New Downloadable Basketball Experience

Unique add-on content includes hours of additional gameplay features and modes

New York, NY – October 20, 2011 – 2K Sports today announced the upcoming release of “Legends Showcase,” a downloadable add-on for NBA® 2K12, the latest installment in thetop-selling and top-rated NBA video game simulation franchise*. Legends Showcase will be available this holiday season for $9.99 via PlayStation®Network for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and for 800 Microsoft Points via Xbox LIVE®Marketplace for the Xbox 360®video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.

Legends Showcase creates a truly unique basketball experience for all fans, featuring a new, cell-shaded art style set in New York City’s iconic Time Square. This downloadable add-on enhances NBA 2K12 by providing a never-seen-before gaming experience, unlocking hours of additional gameplay and giving fans an all-new way to end the debate over who is the greatest basketball player of all time.

Legends Showcase allows gamers to select from more than 150 of the NBA’s all-time greatest players, including Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Dr. J, and compete in authentic pick-up games from 1-on-1 up to 5-on-5. Legends Showcase also features mini-games, such as 21 and H-O-R-S-E, along with other new features like the 2-on-2 Teammate Challenge and 3-on-3 Era Challenge. Gamers can also unlock current NBA players to create unique match-ups between legends and current stars. Finally, for the ultimate challenge, gamers can bring their My Player into the mix and battle the legends of the NBA to see how they stack up against the best ever.

As an added bonus, Legends Showcase also includes Classic Quick Match, a new mode that is opened up in the main game allowing gamers to play online with the NBA’s Greatest teams in a regular simulation setting.

NBA 2K12 is now available at leading video game retailers nationwide for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 system, PlayStation 2 system, Wii, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system and Windows PC.

NBA 2K12 is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB.

NBA 2K12 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K12 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 jmarcguy @ 10/22/11 09:23 AM
Ok I don't play online much so I didn't read this thread until today. I understand charging $10 to cover the costs of all the legends in the game. My problem is losing abilities we had last yr. All I wanted was to use a few classic teams in association. Like last yr! I'd pay for extra teams & players but wish I had the features I expected going in.

# 162 mrclutch @ 10/22/11 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarcguy
Ok I don't play online much so I didn't read this thread until today. I understand charging $10 to cover the costs of all the legends in the game. My problem is losing abilities we had last yr. All I wanted was to use a few classic teams in association. Like last yr! I'd pay for extra teams & players but wish I had the features I expected going in.
Not sure what your getting at. You can use classic teams in association.

# 163 SdotThaDon @ 10/22/11 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsa
I don't think so. I believe classic teams vs classic teams is a separate mode.
So no, you couldn't play that match up.
Yeah, I think you're right the way I read it. I guess it's not a deal breaker but it sure would have been nice to be able to go current vs. classic though. I think 2k12I is great and after patches will be even better, but I can't shake the feeling that the devs are trolling us this year...way too many "close but no cigar" type features this year.

# 164 jmarcguy @ 10/22/11 12:07 PM
Sorry. I meant I can't edit the lineups for the classic teams. I get rid of generics. I also add a few other classic teams in. It can be done but not easily like last yr b

# 165 yungsta404 @ 10/22/11 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboooo
Just to confirm: There are no online options for My Player...right?
Nope you can only import you player to play against computer controlled legends which is dumb IMO..

# 166 econoodle @ 10/22/11 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
This sounds cool. Could make for a nice diversion from the main game.

They are going after a hybrid NBA 2k and NBA Street type experience.

The ability to use the classics online is nice. Cue the inevitable "we can't use sliders online?!?!?" posts that will follow upon release.
when i saw that Dr J pic, i instantly thought of NBA Street Vol. 2

# 167 evilgenius80 @ 10/22/11 08:29 PM
put crew and my player online pick up and I'll give an additional $ 10.00 Till then I'll be out of any DLC's

# 168 DoWork @ 10/22/11 10:02 PM
I don't see this as being worth it at all if we can't play online with the classic teams vs. current teams or be able to play with our my players online.

# 169 Tomb Of God @ 10/23/11 01:00 AM
I know this doesn't have Crew mode, but does this allow My Player pick-up games? Thanks.

# 170 LebronGarnett12 @ 10/23/11 12:23 PM
crew mode sucked last year so y r people complaining it was impossible to find a game and when u found one it would hacked 99 overall my players

# 171 Dmac1991 @ 10/23/11 01:13 PM
There's no crew with this DLC
no My-Player pickup with friends
You can't use your my-player online if you buy this DLC
come on people, read the actual article for what it says and not what you want it to say

# 172 monopolowa @ 10/24/11 02:42 AM
How about an online friends list for the PC version first?

# 173 SpSoloSr @ 10/24/11 10:32 AM
I'm really confused...

I thought the overall consensus was that NBA Blacktop was a garbage mode that wasted disk space. No one played slam dunk contest. No one played 21. And I'm sure that if it wasn't 5-on-5, no one play pick up either... (unless you're in the small minority that did)

So, if these modes weren't being used...
...and 2K took them out to put NEW modes in...
...why's everyone mad about paying for a mode they probably weren't playing to begin with?

Granted, DLC could definitely be better served in other aspects of the game like jerseys, courts, teams, etc., yet let's be adult about some of this stuff for a second. 2K is not some subsidiary of the NBA. They're not entitled to all these things just because they're an NBA game. The NBA allows 2K to replicate and produce upon it's image along with it's players association. Much of the things we'd like to have as DLC just aren't as easily obtainable as we'd hope it to be. Why? Because there's huge amounts of money necessary to get the licensing for these images, and unlike what many of you are trying to allude to, 2K is NOT EA. People are complaining about the $10 now. Imagine if we had to pay to get MJ...or for that matter Charles Barkley.

The Legend's Showcase seems to simply be 2k's glorified NBA JAM, and though many are going to rip on me for saying it, they have every right to charge people for it. They took a mode no one was playing off the disk, put in better modes on the disk, fixed the old one up to make it more appealing, and are now providing it to you as extra, completely optional. Makes sense to me.

This is my only condemnation of this whole thing though. For this to be necessary to manipulate the legends rosters the way we were able to in 2K11 is pretty upsetting and I'd like to believe that there's some type of method to this madness. Nevertheless, I do appreciate 2K's efforts at expanding upon itself and I am looking forward to playing this mode.

P.S. - When Cheesers stop cheesing and Hackers stop hacking, you'll get Crew back.

# 174 kbmnm247 @ 10/24/11 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpSoloSr
I'm really confused...

I thought the overall consensus was that NBA Blacktop was a garbage mode that wasted disk space.

So, if these modes weren't being used...
...and 2K took them out to put NEW modes in...
...why's everyone mad about paying for a mode they probably weren't playing to begin with?

...Why? Because there's huge amounts of money necessary to get the licensing for these images, and unlike what many of you are trying to allude to, 2K is NOT EA. People are complaining about the $10 now. Imagine if we had to pay to get MJ...or for that matter Charles Barkley.

The Legend's Showcase seems to simply be 2k's glorified NBA JAM, and though many are going to rip on me for saying it, they have every right to charge people for it. They took a mode no one was playing off the disk, put in better modes on the disk, fixed the old one up to make it more appealing, and are now providing it to you as extra, completely optional. Makes sense to me.

This is my only condemnation of this whole thing though. For this to be necessary to manipulate the legends rosters the way we were able to in 2K11 is pretty upsetting and I'd like to believe that there's some type of method to this madness. Nevertheless, I do appreciate 2K's efforts at expanding upon itself and I am looking forward to playing this mode.

P.S. - When Cheesers stop cheesing and Hackers stop hacking, you'll get Crew back.
I'm really confused.

You say it's a mode that was never used. Then you say that you like what they did with the DLC (which is basically the same mode you just stated was never used) which was basically nothing but make it cel-shaded graphics and do the 2on2 bracketing for you.

You then touch on how much money it would cost for fees licensing and what not, yet, I think the only thing people are really upset about is the fact that modes that were in the game last year were taken out and now we have to pay to get them back. I, for one, would gladly give My Player back for that mode, as I do not use My Player and most likely never will. I enjoy playing with the real players. So, it really didn't cost them anything for this mode, they already had it made.

I miss blacktop mode, me and my buddies would do 2 on 2s all the time. It was quick, easy, random, and fun. Now I have to pay for it? And I don't even get the normal graphics? Lame. And something 2k has never done before. I'm disappointed.

Not ragging on you but I'm fine with them charging for new modes and the cel shaded graphics and legends and all that and a bracket tourney 2on2 mode, but please give me back the modes I had last year for free, some of us did play and enjoy them.

If the disk is full to capacity then I take back what I just said, but I doubt the whole disc is full to the brim.

# 175 SpSoloSr @ 10/24/11 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmnm247
You say it's a mode that was never used. Then you say that you like what they did with the DLC (which is basically the same mode you just stated was never used) which was basically nothing but make it cel-shaded graphics and do the 2on2 bracketing for you.
I apologize if there was a misunderstanding. What I meant by it being a mode that no one used is based on the perception I got from looking around about the game. There was rarely if hardly ever any mention of improvements to the Blacktop mode and it never seemed to be a big trend amongst the posters on this board. So I just assumed that no one really cared.

As for what I like about the mode now is that it seems like they've taken the initiative to revamp it and give it purpose. That purpose, from what I've read, is to highlight the legends in a different aspect than what's in the core game. How well will it pan out, only time will tell, yet what I couldn't understand is how a mode which never really got much attention or feedback is being battled over because it was replaced no now people have to pay for it.

If you and your friends like you said did enjoy the original Blacktop, I am sorry for your misfortune. It definitely is not fair to those who truly enjoyed that element of 2k. But, from my prospective 2K put some great modes in on the disk, and if I have to pay a little extra to get more out of the game, I'm really ok with that.

# 176 ManiacMatt1782 @ 10/26/11 09:49 AM
What would make this a buy for me is if it put an option for legends to be in the free agents pool, or in the fantasy draft pool in private associations.

# 177 VDusen04 @ 10/26/11 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
What would make this a buy for me is if it put an option for legends to be in the free agents pool, or in the fantasy draft pool in private associations.
Man, I never expected them to include even more legends, but now that they are, there's a part of me who's now bummed we won't be able to have them in the real game. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

# 178 ManiacMatt1782 @ 10/26/11 10:32 AM
Yeah I had no real interest in blacktop anyway, so stripped down blacktop with legends is just not for me. I would be all over my idea, hint hint 2k. I would also be all over the old online leagues with full admin controls being brought back.

# 179 Ejfalcon9 @ 11/03/11 08:17 AM
Hopefully the roster sharing will keep the legends stats and career progress. I hated doing my CAL with Byrd and the announcers saying. And he's starting in his very first NBA game. I'd like to think of it as MJ or Byrd making an un likely return to the NBA not being a rookie in their 30s.

# 180 OhioBobcats @ 11/03/11 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by concolt
Who's Byrd?
Marlon of course.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.