Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

NBA 2K12 Patch 1.03 has been released for the PS3. (The XBOX360 patch is coming soon).

Here are the official patch notes:

GAMEPLAY
  • On-dribbler steal success rates have been tuned down.
  • Tuned accuracy of directional passing in order to more reliably pass to the intended target.
  • Improved help defense, specifically for rotations on pick-and-roll situations.
  • Defensive tuning on 3PT shots to reduce the success of contested threes.
  • Addressed an issue on drives to the basket where the help defender wouldn’t fully engage in the double team
  • Several matchmaking optimizations have been made in order to help users get into games quicker. This will reduce the amount of time the “Searching For Opponent…” screen is displayed for.
  • Addressed a number of network errors that would cause games to end prematurely.
  • Addressed an issue in Team-Up where certain conditions would lead to a player standing idle for prolonged periods of time.
  • Corrected a Win/Loss streak tracking issue such that the “Back to Back to Back” achievement/trophy will now unlock at the proper time.
http://2kgam.es/NBA2K12P103

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 Mos1ted @ 11/07/11 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cream and crimson
And back to the patch I played two games on it last night the game felt slow and the players felt lethargic. This patch did nothing but slow everything down to me. Speaking on the online part. Steals we're still being spammed. As usual. O well nice try 2k. But this game is seriously broken
And yet, 360 users wonder why we're complaining.

# 162 TMURDER625 @ 11/07/11 01:05 PM
No guy the shooting mechanics were not affected. Its juss the "window of oppuntinity" has been cleaned up. Basicilly you have less room for error
to get a perfect release for 3's. Combined with defense and shot selection. Im really liking the patch. I pride myself on taking good shots and choosing my spots wisely. DONT PLAY VIDEO GAME PEOPLE, PLAY BASKETBALL ! LOL

# 163 MeloNYK7 @ 11/07/11 01:09 PM
yall right we do get everything first lol. i still feel bad for pc users there dont get nothing

# 164 Pared @ 11/07/11 01:22 PM
Guys - back to the patch please. The release of the 360 patch is impending and has nothing to do with this thread.

# 165 LD2k @ 11/07/11 01:54 PM
To expand on what Pared mentioned,

Per Ronnie:

Quote:
The 360 patch needs to be approved by Microsoft. We sent it to them the same day we sent it to Sony
Please continue to leave feedback and suggestions as is it invaluable for our team. I will relay over the suggestions to them. You guys help mold the next game-play patch!

Thanks guys.

# 166 MeloNYK7 @ 11/07/11 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Guys - back to the patch please. The release of the 360 patch is impending and has nothing to do with this thread.
i would but i dont have a ps3 haha when the 360 patch drops i will make sure i'm informative tho because all this craziness is still going on over here

# 167 Mos1ted @ 11/07/11 02:12 PM
After about 15 online games with the patch, let me sum up my impressions using the same format as my offline impressions. After all, my opinion of online is from actually playing the game with the patch.

The Good

- Framerate lag seems to be completely eliminated. The game looks just as smooth online as it does offline. The keyword here is looks, but more on that later.

- I was able to connect to an opponent within 10 seconds at the most.

- 3 point shootouts have been eliminated.

- Steal success has indeed been turned down.

The Bad

- The majority of opponents still think there are only three teams in the NBA: the Celtics, the Thunder, and the Heat LOL.

- Any passing improvements that were included in the patch are not evident online. Passing is still slow, laggy, and floaty. Also, psychic defense on full court passes is in full effect.

- Reach-in fouls and shooting fouls in the paint need to be called exponentially more often. I had plays where my player was literally mauled by the defense and didn't get the call.

The Ugly

- It seems that offensive animations were slowed down, while defensive animations were either sped up or remained the same. Whichever the case, the defense definitely has the advantage in the movement and court navigation department. This becomes troublesome because players are lunge at the ball for a steal and still recover all in one solitary motion. Working the ball around on offense is actually discouraging because defenders can cover so much ground quickly and move faster than the ball.

This also present a problem when attempting a dunk, layup, or post shot. Even if you have the space for an open layup, the defense is able to "catch up" their animation and get a successful block. This makes trying to work the post with a good post up player an ineffective strategy for the longterm.

- Sliding needs to go.

- I understand decreasing the shot success to combat the 3 point shooting, but this shouldn't come at the expense of 1:1 shot stick control. When jumpshooting, there's a delay with starting the shooting animation and releasing the shot. When attempting to dunk or drive, your player sometimes does the opposite layup animation than you triggered. It reminds me a lot of 2K11 when playing the CPU on simulation. The game would force you into some other, usually more complicated shot animation -- advantage defense.

- Controlling the ballhandler feels like he's walking through quick sand. When you couple that with aggressive on-ball steal spammers, it becomes annoyingly frustrating. Of course, if passing was working properly, I could just hit the open man for the open shot...

- Ball tangibility/liveliness is virtually non-existent. Players can run around with the ball with a perimeter player with little consequence. Chances are they won't be losing the ball off another player unless they're attempting to do the kickstart dribble and run into another player.

My Suggestions

- Increase the fouls online to discourage the overly aggressive behavior. That type of play wouldn't work in an actual basketball game. I thought that was the focus of this series?

- Bring back lobbies and different difficulty levels.

- Balance out the offensive and defensive animation speeds.

- Get rid of sliding if possible.

- Bring back the 1:1 control that was there at launch.

# 168 cashblingz @ 11/07/11 02:13 PM
wow just had another game. passing feels really bad, could be worse than pre patch. when i try passing the ball to the post the big AL would sometimes hide behind his defender that results in another TO.

no more passing during mid shot... tried to pass during mid shot to milsap because he is wide open on the baseline and he just looked at the ball and it goes through his hands and out of bounds.

is fast break really back??? can't seem to get the wings to the right spot they always end up tippy toeing on the baseline.

also in offline games the frame rate drop issue is still there... what the hell man...

come on 2k... seriously you guys can't be playing this game and say hey man job well done we really nailed it this year. when i look back and read all the things you guys promised most of them were empty promises. you guys always claimed you have fixed this and that but none came out to be true.

breaks my heart as an 2k fan since dreamcast day... ****

# 169 Pared @ 11/07/11 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashblingz
wow just had another game. passing feels really bad, could be worse than pre patch. when i try passing the ball to the post the big AL would sometimes hide behind his defender that results in another TO.

no more passing during mid shot... tried to pass during mid shot to milsap because he is wide open on the baseline and he just looked at the ball and it goes through his hands and out of bounds.
This is disheartening. Are you referring to button passing or is this the case with icon passing as well?

# 170 Mos1ted @ 11/07/11 02:34 PM
Quote:
This is disheartening. Are you referring to button passing or is this the case with icon passing as well?
They both are equally bad in my opinion. If the defense wasn't so fast, it wouldn't be as big of an issue because the balance would still be there. But as of right now, the defense can move faster than the ball can.

# 171 flamangatang2k5 @ 11/07/11 02:49 PM
I don't play online as often as most of you but I have been doing so this year. I didn't have a ton of complaints before the patch, and i still don't. The one thing i did notice is that players on defense are allowed to gamble for steals without any consequence. The kid i played literally ran a gauntlet at my player (Derrick Rose) until I eventually tried to pass and either he or the CPU would jump the lane. If I tried going in for the score or pulling up at the ft line for the short jumper, his CPU teammates would help out and contest my shot.

My only option was to make passes down low to Noah or Boozer and cheese my way to buckets. I didn't want to do that so i just tried playing my normal sim game of running plays and pick n rolls. Eventually he and the OKC Thunder, or should i say he and Kevin Durant, got hot and put the game away. By games end, Rose had 7 TOs and my team had over 20 TOs. I believe it was only a 5-7min qrt game.
As a longtime 2ker (back to dreamcast days) there is no way im going to turn the ball over 20x's while playing conservative. I honestly don't care much about online, and i hope 2k doesn't start catering the game play around online players.
I've been playing MY Player mode and I have noticed that the 3pt shooting is way down. Which hurts my team because i play for the PHX suns as a PG and can't get assist like i used to by just running the plays.

# 172 kolanji @ 11/07/11 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashblingz

is fast break really back??? can't seem to get the wings to the right spot they always end up tippy toeing on the baseline.

also in offline games the frame rate drop issue is still there... what the hell man...

come on 2k... seriously you guys can't be playing this game and say hey man job well done we really nailed it this year. when i look back and read all the things you guys promised most of them were empty promises. you guys always claimed you have fixed this and that but none came out to be true.

breaks my heart as an 2k fan since dreamcast day... ****
mein that really made me hold my breath if that is the case, makes me kinda skeptic in getting in on the 360 right away....am having problems as it is as of now pre patch with direct passing, n the fact that passing to wide open guys magically runs to the basket and have the ball stolen as soon as u pass to them on the perimeter ...i think am not buying anymore sports game on launch day these games are not tested properly for gameplay as they are for bugs.dev cycle is just too short

# 173 Painkiller1974 @ 11/07/11 04:27 PM
I'm a PS3 user: it seems that the Live Roster doesn't work.
Even if you put this option OFF every time I switch on my ps3 the default roster is loaded !!!

# 174 Michgantown @ 11/07/11 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painkiller1974
I'm a PS3 user: it seems that the Live Roster doesn't work.
Even if you put this option OFF every time I switch on my ps3 the default roster is loaded !!!
What live roster.

# 175 davis420 @ 11/07/11 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gensancaloy
only one thing about this game. a whole mess game. what a waste for $60. not worth it. online is a mess, 3pts shootout until the end of the game. press the steal button all the time, defense is a mess.what a joke. this is my last purchased for 2k games. NBA LIVE is the best!
Can we stick to the patch instead of bashing!

# 176 Goffs @ 11/07/11 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis420
Can we stick to the patch instead of bashing!
He's trolling he wrote the same thing on page 16...

# 177 cashblingz @ 11/07/11 10:44 PM
Quote:
i mostly use icon passing. never try total control though because you know... its a hassle to switch players.

another thing about the passing, while icon passing is supposed to give you better accuracy on the placement, it pretty much never gives me bounce passes. only chest passes most of the time.

button passing gives me a better choice of pass but placement is ****, so theres a trade off in using them.

# 178 jakx27 @ 11/08/11 12:51 AM
Can we do something abut the play calling? Its just about great. Random play calling, AI running the same plays too whats that about? and up the 3 point shot by 2-3.

# 179 m-dogg @ 11/08/11 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamangatang2k5
I don't play online as often as most of you but I have been doing so this year. I didn't have a ton of complaints before the patch, and i still don't. The one thing i did notice is that players on defense are allowed to gamble for steals without any consequence. The kid i played literally ran a gauntlet at my player (Derrick Rose) until I eventually tried to pass and either he or the CPU would jump the lane. If I tried going in for the score or pulling up at the ft line for the short jumper, his CPU teammates would help out and contest my shot.

My only option was to make passes down low to Noah or Boozer and cheese my way to buckets. I didn't want to do that so i just tried playing my normal sim game of running plays and pick n rolls. Eventually he and the OKC Thunder, or should i say he and Kevin Durant, got hot and put the game away. By games end, Rose had 7 TOs and my team had over 20 TOs. I believe it was only a 5-7min qrt game.
As a longtime 2ker (back to dreamcast days) there is no way im going to turn the ball over 20x's while playing conservative. I honestly don't care much about online, and i hope 2k doesn't start catering the game play around online players.
I've been playing MY Player mode and I have noticed that the 3pt shooting is way down. Which hurts my team because i play for the PHX suns as a PG and can't get assist like i used to by just running the plays.

I was worried about this. I wanted the 3 pt tweaked more than anyone, but I worried they might nerf your CPU teammates to last year when they could not shoot over 18% from three. I hope this is not the case, all we are asking is for our CPU teammates and opponents to shoot a realistic % from deep depending on the shot quality.

also how did they handle it per difficulty? on pro maybe your teammates can hit threes, but can you get realistic results on allstar in my player? man i really hope they just patch sliders in when this supposed "big patch" comes down the line...so maddening...

# 180 ruxpinke @ 11/08/11 11:19 AM
I dont want to go too off topic, even though this thread is dying painfully. but i just wanted to express my condolences for my player guys who dont have sliders. Im not a my player guy at all, but just reading all these issues from guys who play that mode because they dont have slider access is brutal.

I dont think 2k has the capability of patching sliders in, but i really hope they prove me wrong. for the sanity of this board.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.