Home
News Post

Perennial All-Star And American League Most Valuable Player Candidate
Adrian Gonzalez Announced as Cover Athlete For MLB® 12 The Show™,
Exclusively on The PlayStation®3 (PS3™) And PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) Systems

Boston Red Sox Slugger Ready to Swing for the Fences
in the Latest Installment of the Highest-Rated Sports Game Franchise

FOSTER CITY, Calif., Nov. 9, 2011 -- Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (SCEA) announced today the North American release of MLB® 12 The Show™, the latest installment of the number-one selling and rated Major League Baseball® (MLB®) video game franchise. Gracing the cover of The Show in 2012 will be Boston Red Sox All-Star first baseman Adrian Gonzalez. A candidate for this year's America League Most Valuable Player (MVP) Award, Gonzalez is a four-time All-Star (2008-2011), three-time Gold Glove winner (2008, 2009, 2011), and 2011 Silver Slugger Award winner.

Available for the PlayStation®3 (PS3™) and PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) systems, MLB 12 The Show is due to arrive in stores on March 6, 2012, just in time for MLB Spring Training. The Show has been and continues to be the market leading and highest ranked officially licensed baseball title of this console generation (according to MetaCritic.com) and the number-one rated sports video game over the past four years (according to GameRankings.com), delivering true-to-life gameplay, authentic franchise and season modes, and incredible detail not found in any other sports game. MLB 12 The Show builds on what has been delivered in previous franchise releases, adding compelling features that bring unparalleled innovation and polish to the sports genre.

"I feel very humbled to be chosen for the cover of MLB 12 The Show," said Gonzalez, who recently won his third Gold Glove Award. "I think most sports fans would agree it's a dream come true to be immortalized as the cover athlete for a video game so I jumped at the chance to work with a leading franchise like The Show—it's truly a great honor."

"With a standout 2011 season in his first year with the Boston Red Sox, Adrian Gonzalez has cemented himself as one of the best all-around players in baseball," said Scott A. Steinberg, Vice President, Product Marketing, SCEA. "Similarly, The Show has been the market leader and the highest rated, best-selling baseball video game franchise of all time. Therefore, Adrian was an easy choice and a perfect fit to represent the next installment of our critically acclaimed series, MLB 12 The Show."

The first overall pick by the Florida Marlins in the 2000 MLB Draft, Adrian Gonzalez has steadily become one of the top players in all of baseball, both on the field and at the plate. In 2010 while playing for the San Diego Padres, he was named team MVP for the third consecutive year and fourth time overall. In 2011, Gonzalez was traded to the Boston Red Sox in a blockbuster deal and enjoyed one of his best professional seasons, which included his 1,000 career hit, fourth consecutive All-Star selection, third Gold Glove, first Silver Slugger Award, and a top five finish in batting average (.338) and RBI (117) in all of baseball.

MLB 12 The Show is the first baseball video game cover for Gonzalez who joins an elite cast of cover athletes and spokespersons to represent The Show, including Minnesota Twins catcher and 2009 American League (AL) MVP Joe Mauer, Red Sox second baseman and 2008 AL MVP Dustin Pedroia, Philadelphia Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard, and New York Mets third baseman David Wright. As the latest representative of SCEA's baseball series and ambassador for MLB 12 The Show, Gonzalez's duties will include participation in the game's motion capture process, artificial intelligence (A.I.) consultation, integration into all facets of the marketing campaign, and spokesperson for the franchise.

As Gonzalez continues to establish himself as one of the most talented players in the game today, MLB 12 The Show continues to build upon an already stellar reputation for immersion and unparalleled delivery of the baseball experience. With various new key features and enhancements to the critically acclaimed series, MLB 12 The Show is poised to continue the franchise's reign as the premier MLB licensed game on any platform. Specifically for PS Vita, MLB 12 The Show will utilize all of the core gameplay features found in the PS3 version providing a big league experience that players can take with them on road, anytime, anywhere. All new features for MLB 12 The Show will be unveiled and detailed throughout the course of the campaign, prior to the game's launch on March 6, 2012.

The independent Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) rating for MLB 12 The Show is "RP" for "Rating Pending." For more information about the ESRB visit http://www.esrb.org. For more information about the MLB 12 The Show, visit http://theshownation.com/ or http://www.facebook.com/mlbtheshow.

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 jr86 @ 11/10/11 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antilowpe
Still no pitcher ?

12 A-Gon
11 Mauer
10 Mauer
09 Pedroia
08 Howard
07 Wright
06 Big Papi

The past two years have seen the pitchers becoming more & more dominant and with the season Verlander (and Kershaw and Halladay...) had, a pitcher deserved the cover.

And if I have to make a choice, I put Kemp on the cover.
His last season was amazing. Which player was the last to be such close to the 40-40 club before Kemp ? Vladdy ?
Whatever about previous years but i think it is fairly obvious why there has not been a pitcher on the cover the past 2 years...no?

# 42 yankeesgiants @ 11/10/11 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
SCEA, really??!
A-Gon. Really?!
And your serious?
After that **** collapse.

Thats all i gotta say on this matter.
I dont know maybe **** collapse is a new mode?

# 43 S2S @ 11/10/11 12:46 PM
I don't have anything against Gonzalez but other players had better years.

I don't see why they don't just make it a dual cover with the Rookie of the year winners on it. I know it probably wouldn't have as much appeal like the bigger names of Mauer or Gonzalez and other names. But I remember the commercials of " Making it to the Show! " and all that. What better picture to be on your product than to have the kids who made it to the Show and shined brightest? But people would probably still complain.

# 44 EnigmaNemesis @ 11/10/11 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antilowpe
Still no pitcher ?

12 A-Gon
11 Mauer
10 Mauer
09 Pedroia
08 Howard
07 Wright
06 Big Papi

The past two years have seen the pitchers becoming more & more dominant and with the season Verlander (and Kershaw and Halladay...) had, a pitcher deserved the cover.

And if I have to make a choice, I put Kemp on the cover.
His last season was amazing. Which player was the last to be such close to the 40-40 club before Kemp ? Vladdy ?
Halladay and Verlander were picked up by 2K, they are off limits.

Kershaw... Who? Now us hardcore baseball fans know this guy. But your average gamer/sports gamer... Kemp or Kershaw are unrecognizable. And with the Dodgers sad state of affairs with the team and owner... not too marketable at this time.

Remember, it is all about marketing, etc. I am sure Adrian was in consideration long before he was traded... him having a great season, in a hugely popular market team now, being Latino and having a great community off field presence are all factors.

This has nothing to do with 'Red Sox bias' (if he was in Mets/Yankees/or other big market uniforms he would still have been chosen I bet)... just luck of the draw. Also the fact that he was in San Deigo for so long, where the studio resides, probably affords them more interaction as well.

People on here put way too much stake in the cover athlete, and let it bother them way too much. It does not take away from the game, and it is not marketed to YOU! Since we are outside the norm for average gamers. This should honestly be a non-issue to us on OS. We have custom cover threads (and I never even see the cover outside when I first purchase the game). Our purchasing decision does not reside in the cover athlete.

# 45 yankeesgiants @ 11/10/11 12:48 PM
Quote:
Pre order bonus announced:

5 dollars off any order of $25 or more at KFC.
You have to lock in your pre order with at least 3 weeks left before the release or you won't get it.

but seriously folks, how about a nice collectible pre-order this year?
It would be Popeyes. It's across the street from the ballpark.

# 46 Mr. Franchise @ 11/10/11 02:20 PM
Terrible choice -_-

# 47 Woodweaver @ 11/10/11 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by truintellectplaya
Lies, and skewing of statistics they are not the #1 rated sports game 4 years in a row.
No lies. No skewing.

"The Show has been and continues to be the market leading and highest ranked officially licensed baseball title of this console generation (according to MetaCritic.com) and the number-one rated sports video game over the past four years (according to GameRankings.com), "

# 48 cardsfan2222 @ 11/10/11 05:11 PM
I don't care much about the cover athlete, but I do get tired of seeing Boston players on the cover. There were a lot of great names in the playoffs this year, but they pick another Red Sox player, after a historic collapse. Very disappointing choice in my opinion.

# 49 Russell_SCEA @ 11/10/11 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by truintellectplaya
Lies, and skewing of statistics they are not the #1 rated sports game 4 years in a row.
Check Metacritic and do the math.

# 50 Marino @ 11/10/11 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballforever
I mean really, its just a cover and for some guys to say they wont buy it or now just rent because of the cover, get real...

The guy put up *Regular Season .338 27 117*

Whats wrong with that.

Now a screen shot would have been nice.
Matt Kemp put up .324 with 39 HRs and 126 RBIs and 40 SBs

Here are Kemp's NL Rankings:

1st in NL in HR (39)
1st in NL in RBI (126)
1st in NL in R (115)
8th in NL in BB (74)
2nd in NL in SB (40)
2nd in NL in SLG (.586)
2nd in NL in OPS (.986)

Should have been cover boy. Tired of all these Red Sox on the cover.

# 51 Marino @ 11/10/11 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Halladay and Verlander were picked up by 2K, they are off limits.

Kershaw... Who? Now us hardcore baseball fans know this guy. But your average gamer/sports gamer... Kemp or Kershaw are unrecognizable. And with the Dodgers sad state of affairs with the team and owner... not too marketable at this time.

Remember, it is all about marketing, etc. I am sure Adrian was in consideration long before he was traded... him having a great season, in a hugely popular market team now, being Latino and having a great community off field presence are all factors.

This has nothing to do with 'Red Sox bias' (if he was in Mets/Yankees/or other big market uniforms he would still have been chosen I bet)... just luck of the draw. Also the fact that he was in San Deigo for so long, where the studio resides, probably affords them more interaction as well.

People on here put way too much stake in the cover athlete, and let it bother them way too much. It does not take away from the game, and it is not marketed to YOU! Since we are outside the norm for average gamers. This should honestly be a non-issue to us on OS. We have custom cover threads (and I never even see the cover outside when I first purchase the game). Our purchasing decision does not reside in the cover athlete.
Dodgers market a lot more than you think even with the down turn in the organization. Dodgers are big from Texas on West and a good bit of fans still in the Northeast.

So, Kemp should have been on the cover. Oh well, custom cover here I come.

# 52 catch212 @ 11/10/11 05:40 PM
I'm sick of players from the northeast. Believe me, ESPN gives us enough of New York, Boston, and Philly, so I don't need more from the show.

All of this is just semantics though, since I'm expecting a fantastic game.

# 53 EnigmaNemesis @ 11/10/11 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino
Dodgers market a lot more than you think even with the down turn in the organization. Dodgers are big from Texas on West and a good bit of fans still in the Northeast.

So, Kemp should have been on the cover. Oh well, custom cover here I come.
It is not about who makes what... it is about marketing. And Yankees/Red Sox as much as you like to think otherwise, and the most highly marketable teams in almost all of professional sports. They are the Dallas Cowboys of baseball.

It is about recognition. Your average Midwest gamer is going to know a Red Sox or Yankee player over a dodger... especially Kemp or Kershaw.

Not saying their statistics do not deserve the cover... but here is MUCH more to it than "statistics".

There is team recognition, player's off field accessibility and contributions, race, etc.

Who is to say all the players us armchair analysts "think" should "have been" on the cover were even accessible to the marketing needs by Sony?

That is a huge factor we fail to take into consideration. And I bet if Adrian was still in the San Diego uniform, he still would have graced the cover... it just so happens he was traded to one of the most highly marketed teams.

# 54 econoodle @ 11/10/11 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino
Matt Kemp put up .324 with 39 HRs and 126 RBIs and 40 SBs

Here are Kemp's NL Rankings:

1st in NL in HR (39)
1st in NL in RBI (126)
1st in NL in R (115)
8th in NL in BB (74)
2nd in NL in SB (40)
2nd in NL in SLG (.586)
2nd in NL in OPS (.986)

Should have been cover boy. Tired of all these Red Sox on the cover.
Looking at those numbers and the LA effect. Kemp hands down should have made it.

But there is obviously a Red Sox bias in the Sony camp.
Not saying AGon didnt have a good year or whatever, but when getting ideas together for the cover dude, didn't sony think to say, 'hey lets shy away from picking a red sox AGAIn this year, seeing as theres a good 10 other choices out there'?
i guess not lol

They mentioned they wanted the Latin market? Agon aint the only one out there.

# 55 EnigmaNemesis @ 11/10/11 07:00 PM
As much as the media[see: fans] would like to spin things, '04 was the biggest choke/collapse.

True Story!

He is not a "terrible choice", and "ever hear him speak"... yeah, I heard him speak, and read his interview. When not taken out of context for media driven agenda... he is well put together, and articulated. And his off field contributions in San Diego are exceptional.

Ever hear Pujols speak? Out of context he sounds like a crybaby (cried like a poor sport in '04 when swept). Cano? Does he even speak English? Hamilton, his past as much as he turned it around, is still a taint and taken into account by the league... the list goes on. It is all about accessibility and filling the needs of the marketing as well people.

# 56 MinnTwinFan2616 @ 11/10/11 07:02 PM
All of you that say that Adrian Gonzalez shouldn't be on the cover because of the Boston Red Sox's collapse and because some players were playing video games, drinking beers, and eating chicken in the clubhouse, you all are just whack. It's not like Adrian Gonzalez went into the clubhouse during a game to eat some chicken or drink a beer or he was the main reason why the Red Sox did not make the playoffs. This guy went out there every game and grinded because he wanted to win so much. Especially since he came from San Diego. This guy was hot in September and he produced. Unfortunately his teammates made a few poor decisions on their off days. I believe this is a good choice for the cover of MLB 12 The Show because he put up MVP numbers in his first year of his big contract, unlike Werth, Dunn and his teammate Crawford.

# 57 econoodle @ 11/10/11 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
04 was the biggest postseason collapse but the red sox blew the biggest september lead in mlb history. Its one thing to lose 4 games in a row. But its another to have a 9 game lead with less than a month to play and you go 7-19 and miss the postseason by a game.

wait the yankees lost FOUR games in a row in 04?
Well, I never!
lol

# 58 EnigmaNemesis @ 11/10/11 07:29 PM
Quote:
wait the yankees lost FOUR games in a row in 04?
Well, I never!
lol
Whatever you need to say to make it less impaction in sports history in the Championship Series being up 3 games to none and only needing one more win.

It is all besides the point. What a team does has nothing to do with the cover athlete. You all sound silly reaching for excuses.

# 59 Knight165 @ 11/10/11 09:03 PM
It's not about the team....it's about the player.

M.K.
Knight165

# 60 Knight165 @ 11/10/11 09:23 PM
...and to piggyback myself....it's not ONLY about the players stats....hardware......or championships.
While plenty of the names mentioned in this thread would be equally as deserving for the cover.....but so is Gonzalez.
If you refute that, you're just lying to yourself.

M.K.
Knight165

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.