Home
NCAA Football 13 News Post

Ben Haumiller talks to Kotaku's Owen Good at length about how the realignment uncertainty affects development of NCAA Football 13.

Here are some of the bullet points, but you should definitely read the detailed article, right here.

Quote:
  • They're working on a scheduling logic that accounts for a 22-team conference.
  • They may include it in the game even if C-USA/MWC does not merge. It depends on space and other budget considerations.
  • They've had to develop multiple contingency plans for their scheduling logic.
  • They would probably never include the ability to rename or remove a conference in Dynasty set-up, for obvious reasons.
  • They would likewise never insert AI that realigns conferences midseason, independent of the user.
  • They won't try to predict future membership changes, as the TCU/Big East lesson this year bears out.
  • They don't want to hear their Madden colleagues bitching about schedule changes, that's for sure.

Game: NCAA Football 13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 60 - View All
NCAA Football 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Flithy @ 11/12/11 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychicDB
How about they fix the damn broken gameplay first.
yup exactly man exactly

# 2 Steve_OS @ 11/12/11 09:21 PM
How about we stay on topic and wait for gameplay details, broken or fixed.

# 3 wallofhate @ 11/12/11 09:35 PM
Yeah I feel for Ben and his team its definately a cluster **** that is not only hindering video game college football but ruining college footballl imo. Most of these teams that will compete will have no history,no games to reflect upon..no revenge factor! Having teams in the same region just makes sense. Kids play harder against known foes or schools that didnt recruit them and we would still have decades of rivalry games! I know some people will say create new rivalry's but why destroy the nastalgia??!!! Money rules I accept that but it doesnt make all these moves suck less

# 4 The Yurpman @ 11/12/11 10:33 PM
Sounds like a perfect (first) excuse for when the game doesn't work properly.

# 5 PowerofRed25 @ 11/12/11 10:40 PM
I mean, I like that they are doing this. They need to. By the time the final version of the game is out, who knows where some of these teams are going to be and what the logos/divisions/etc will be. At the same time, it sounds like they are overthinking the topic. They couldn't even figure out scheduling logic to give some teams a full 12 game schedule if you edit the schedules of other teams. This will end up costing me a bowl bid in one dynasty, because I'll end 5-6 with no way to win a 6th game as I only have 11 games (took over midseason).

This sounds incredibly complicated and with too many open variables to write a code without inherent problems. And even in the event the code is completed, the amount of time spent on this will no doubt take away from parts of the game in dire need of help.

Why not set a firm date (say April 1) for conferences to decide what they are doing. If it isn't done by then, program the game as the conferences are set at that point and then keep the custom conferences as programmed now, up to 16.

# 6 khaliib @ 11/12/11 10:49 PM
Since he mentioned their code in this article...

"Haumiller said his team is "Building CODE" for NCAA 13 that tries to accommodate scheduling in a 22-team.

They just admitted that they have serious issues with tampering with their code in patch #4.

Now they're going to build on top of this same code for scheduling?

How quickly NCAA 12 is scraped to the side in preperation for the next marketing injection.
I'm sorry, but the guy acts like there were no issues with NCAA 12 in this article.

I hope gamers really take a scalpel to NCAA 13 before they buy!!!

# 7 canes21 @ 11/12/11 11:56 PM
I wish they'd add the ability to add/delete conferences. I don't really want to have a 4 team WAC. It'd be nice to take those last 4 teams, spread them out in other conferences and lose the WAC altogether.

Just an example.

# 8 Solidice @ 11/13/11 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I wish they'd add the ability to add/delete conferences. I don't really want to have a 4 team WAC. It'd be nice to take those last 4 teams, spread them out in other conferences and lose the WAC altogether.

Just an example.
They likely are not allowed to do that because of the license.

# 9 patsfan1993 @ 11/13/11 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21

Just an example.
I would too, but according to the article it won't happen.

"But even with some leagues' existences in doubt—the Big East, notably, and whatever becomes of the Mountain West and Conference USA—Haumiller can't foresee ever giving users the ability to rename, delete, or change the symbology of existing conferences. Such a feature could diminish or insult a critical licensing partner."

# 10 Gotmadskillzson @ 11/13/11 12:17 AM
So basically......they already have a good excuse in place for when something doesn't work in NCAA 13

OR

An excuse for not putting something in the game or improving something in the game.

I can hear it already, we ran out of time because we had to do all this coding for all these possible conferences realignment.......By the time the conferences were finalized in real life, it was too late in the cycle to improve this or that, or add this or that.

Therefore the only thing we really worked on in NCAA 13 was dynasty scheduling.

# 11 TheRegan @ 11/13/11 12:14 PM
I'm surprised they let him use language like that in an interview. The way he talked about the Mountain-USA merger, perhaps they could use conference mergings as a way to get rid of conferences.
I love how people love to hate this game every chance they get. I'd rather be able to fully edit everything in Dynasty mode and have only a few minor tweaks to gameplay, I can spend hours editing and tweaking everything how I want it before I ever play a game.

# 12 bigbob @ 11/13/11 12:43 PM
I'd just love to have the ability to merge conferences and the biggest thing for me when it come to custom conferences, the ability to add extra teams. Even if it's just 10 free spots where we can add
team builder' teams because we all know teams like Villanova are going to make the move within the next couple of years and it sucks not being able to add them in.

# 13 MNgoph @ 11/13/11 12:51 PM
I understand about not being able to delete conferences, but can we get rid of the independent conferences. I would like to move BYU to the PAC 12 but I have moved the other non independents already. That one bugs me a lot for some reason as well as other issues.

# 14 dochalladay32 @ 11/13/11 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNgoph
I understand about not being able to delete conferences, but can we get rid of the independent conferences. I would like to move BYU to the PAC 12 but I have moved the other non independents already. That one bugs me a lot for some reason as well as other issues.
Independents are like a conference in their programming with the exception that they don't have to play eachother and they have different caps on number of teams. The indies will not be eliminated. If anything, I wish we could have more independents!

# 15 hbk_wess @ 11/13/11 01:10 PM
It isn't a matter of licenses it is a matter of laziness. Come one, we have been wanting them to let us be able to bring in Teambuilder teams without replacing a current team. If we could do this we should at least have the ability to keep the current conferences and create a brand spanking new conference and name it whatever we want. This takes care of licenses altogether. I foresee the same nonsense in NCAA 13 as I do in current and older versions of the game. They aren't Sierra Sports, who could actually do what we wanted them to without asking, like, rename divisions and leagues and teams and more. (see: Front Page Sports Football Pro of any year) Their excuse for this will be, "We have a college football game and the licenses...blah blah blah"

EA should rewrite their catchphrase, Instead of IF IT'S IN THE GAME, IT'S IN THE GAME to IF IT'S IN THE GAME, WE WON'T PUT IT IN THE GAME.

# 16 Retropyro @ 11/13/11 03:16 PM
I see now that they are done with patching NCAA 12, Ben has come out of his hole and talking again.

I'm not falling for another word out of his mouth until he admitts to screwing up 12.

# 17 Molsongoalie41 @ 11/13/11 05:37 PM
Conference wise they need to two things and I will be happy, let me add at least 10 team builder teams without deleting others so I can make every conference have a playoff. And please let me delete the independent. I get the rights issues for other conference but there is not copywriter for independent. Game play wise the list is a little bigger.

# 18 Retropyro @ 11/14/11 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychicDB
Lol my last post got deleted for "trolling" because I used everybody's favorite nickname for our beloved EA producer.

Anyway, NCAA sales improved 17% from 11 to 12. They have made $65+ million on this game. As much as I share your resentment for HAUMILLER & Co., they won't ever admit to screwing up jack **** because no matter how crappy this game is, it is still guzzling boatloads and boatloads of money.

HAUMILLER gives less than a damn about what anyone thinks, and given the game's sales, he really has no reason to give a damn. That is why he is only talking about 13 now. EA is at heart a shrewd capitalist corporation, not a faithful champion of the consumer that develops games out of passion.
I actually like EA quite a bit. They make alot of really good games that do deliver. But last year listening to Ben for 7 months non-stop making promises and then to see him just clam up when the game crapped out, really made me angry.

I get it, sometimes things don't go as planned. But to go from media "insert insult here" to disappearing? Why would I ever trust a word that ever comes out of his mouth ever again?

I don't hate NCAA 12, I don't believe it's unplayable. For me it least it killed the online dynasty experiance. But I do still play offline, it's not perfect but I've never expected perfect realism. I don't believe the game is as bad as alot of people do, but I think the problems that did and still do exist are magnified because of the closed door attitude at Tiburon.

I just find it disgusting the way this guy was out and answering everyones questions before release but then went into hiding when the game came out. And now he's going to be sitting there smiling away going on about how amazing NCAA 13 is and most likely refusing to acknowledge that NCAA 12 ever had a single problem for the next 8 months.

I'll be smarted next year, I'll do a seven day rental a few weeks after release to test it out.

As for the whole deleting or renaming the conferences, they would never let that happen. If the did why would anyone buy the next game?

I still would like to see EA switch developers every other year. Let Tiburon do the games for odd numbered years and EA Canada or someone release during the even numbered years. Then at least each dev team has 2 years to work on the game and get in a lot more testing. Plus competition is good and since there is no other title competing, at least the two developers would be pushing each other to see who gets the better scores.

# 19 I_Tyler_Durden_I @ 11/14/11 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropyro
I actually like EA quite a bit. They make alot of really good games that do deliver. But last year listening to Ben for 7 months non-stop making promises and then to see him just clam up when the game crapped out, really made me angry.

I get it, sometimes things don't go as planned. But to go from media "insert insult here" to disappearing? Why would I ever trust a word that ever comes out of his mouth ever again?

I don't hate NCAA 12, I don't believe it's unplayable. For me it least it killed the online dynasty experiance. But I do still play offline, it's not perfect but I've never expected perfect realism. I don't believe the game is as bad as alot of people do, but I think the problems that did and still do exist are magnified because of the closed door attitude at Tiburon.

I just find it disgusting the way this guy was out and answering everyones questions before release but then went into hiding when the game came out. And now he's going to be sitting there smiling away going on about how amazing NCAA 13 is and most likely refusing to acknowledge that NCAA 12 ever had a single problem for the next 8 months.

I'll be smarted next year, I'll do a seven day rental a few weeks after release to test it out.

As for the whole deleting or renaming the conferences, they would never let that happen. If the did why would anyone buy the next game?

I still would like to see EA switch developers every other year. Let Tiburon do the games for odd numbered years and EA Canada or someone release during the even numbered years. Then at least each dev team has 2 years to work on the game and get in a lot more testing. Plus competition is good and since there is no other title competing, at least the two developers would be pushing each other to see who gets the better scores.
Really? I don’t like this idea. They are not seeing the light in the code they’ve created. Giving them code from a second team every other year could scare them to death. ;-)

To be fair, creating a schedule in an NCAA-Football-Game is tough. There are so many things you have to account for and there is no such thing as “structure” you can rely on.
Do they have to get it right? Of course they have to, because that’s their job and we are paying with real money to get a game that is as close to reality as possible and a big part of it is the schedule.
What I really don’t understand is why some people complain about the game not being accurate enough and then complaining about not being able to delete conferences. Don’t get me wrong, I like the idea of having a game that is customizable, but taking one step after another.
As long as there are players they don’t know what to do if an option is coming their way or tendencies are flipping for some players or pancake-stats are messed up or QB’s in an option offense do have no idea how to read the defense, I don’t feel the need to delete conferences.
I want a game that is as close to the things I see on Saturdays and what I can’t see there is Notre Dame as a member of the B1G. If we are able to make this happen, nice, but that has nothing to do with “realism” and therefore it shouldn’t be on top of their to-do list.

# 20 truintellectplaya @ 11/14/11 07:43 AM
This game looks very good. Sad,that it has so many detractors. I think this is just another built excuse not to do anything next year. Change commentary to start with and that's a start.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.