Home
Madden 12 News Post

Recently, we asked Justin Dewiel, Community Manager at EA Sports about online franchise roster updates and the promised Madden NFL 12 tuner sets. Here is his response.

Any updates for the Online Franchise Rosters?

Quote:
We don't normally do online franchise roster updates during the season. There's one to start the season and one at the end.

What is the latest on Madden NFL 12 tuner sets?

Quote:
No updates regarding tuners to pass along at this point.

As many of us already know, tuner sets and surprise onside kicks were announced back in February.

Based off of his response, do you think we see tuner sets for Madden NFL 12?

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Vaporub83 @ 11/27/11 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Merk_House
Yeah, big surprise. This is why you need competitiveness in the industry. EA also said there would be Kinect support for Madden 12, but big surprise there is none. Just another way for them to get a "new feature" featured article on IGN.
On a separate note I also find it comical how the reasons for the exclusive license continue to contradict one another. It was initially stated that they did not think that 2k fairly represented the game of football. They used the hard late hits in NFL 2k3 as their primary argument. Now years later they decide to allow EA to use the NFL license to produce NFL Blitz (which looks cool but I digress).
I just wish companies could be honest and say it is a business decision. "We wanted to make the most money off our brand" SMH
Sir you do realize that the NFL is NOT allowing the current blitz to use late hits right?

# 22 blklightning @ 11/27/11 11:03 PM
2k comes back next year, right?

# 23 ryan36 @ 11/28/11 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning
2k comes back next year, right?
we don't need this here, guys

# 24 ABR173rd @ 11/28/11 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS

Recently, we asked Justin Dewiel, Community Manager at EA Sports about online franchise roster updates and the promised Madden NFL 12 tuner sets. Here is his response.

Any updates for the Online Franchise Rosters?

What is the latest on Madden NFL 12 tuner sets?

As many of us already know, tuner sets and surprise onside kicks were announced back in February.

Based off of his response, do you think we see tuner sets for Madden NFL 12?
I would have to believe that there is an issue with the tuners sets or EA believes they are useless. Judging by the amount of Tuners that were released on NCAA when the feature was first released in comparison to this year for both Madden and NCAA I would bet we wont be seeing any tuners.

# 25 C the Lyte @ 11/28/11 09:21 AM
Just to gauge opinions here... what exactly needs to be tuned?

Me personally, I think it plays pretty well. Much better than anything on this generation. I've stayed out of the bugs and glitches threads this year and really haven't seen a whole lot other than minor hiccups here and there.

I'm not saying it's great or perfect.

# 26 Senator Palmer @ 11/28/11 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C the Lyte

Me personally, I think it plays pretty well. Much better than anything on this generation. I've stayed out of the bugs and glitches threads this year and really haven't seen a whole lot other than minor hiccups here and there.

Overall, the package that is M12 is a lot more polished than '11 out of the box, but there's still a glaring issue or two that needs some attention. For me, the biggest issue that needs to be tuned is the lack of pressure from the defensive ends vs. the defensive tackles who are overpowered. That alone would make this game for me.

There's also a few other things I have issue with that might only be fixed with a patch like the run-off in franchise mode, or the issue with the ROLB in zone coverage where he'll cross over into the MLB's zone, leaving a void.

# 27 MMurda @ 11/28/11 11:37 AM
yea im not suprised really. i mean take a look at the ncaa 12 online dynasty website update that was "coming soon" and slated for august release....never came out and not a single word of if/when it will ever show up. nothing ea pulls is suprising anymore...the only way it would be was if i havent bought any of their games and compared them with their promises every yr or every other yr...and see how far off with delivering they really are. but to their credit, madden is way better an exp than ncaa is this yr. how that happened, i have no idea.

but at this point im done with ea FOOTBALL...until they add fifa realtime physics, true locomotion that has to be obeyed by all(meaning not just the WR's, but also the DB's who dont and routinely skip breakdown steps and round off 90 degree cuts to cheat to get positioning due to faulty AI), a halftime show, a real online franchise with roster updates, and better AI and translation of difficulty. no reason to support these mediocre at best titles any longer. too many other great games out there worthy of my $60.

# 28 RGiles36 @ 11/28/11 11:42 AM
Quote:

While I share some of that opinion, most disappointing to me is the lack of communication this year. Aside from roster updates and ultimate team stuff, there's zilch.

# 29 KOV @ 11/28/11 12:28 PM
If you all sit back and think logically for a second, the answer will stick out like a sore thumb. Oh, and it has nothing to do with " laziness" or incompetence"

# 30 RogueHominid @ 11/28/11 12:29 PM
I actually like this year's game and don't think there's much that really needs tuning. I can do most everything I want through sliders and coaching schemes/gameplans. I think I can ride this game out till '13 drops easily just with the offline franchise mode.

As far as their PR and marketing scheme goes, though, I think you have to file this one away so that the credulous among us are a little less so next year. Perhaps our interviewers for next year might include issues like this in their question lists to see how the new leadership responds to questions about past performance.

# 31 C the Lyte @ 11/28/11 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
While I share some of that opinion, most disappointing to me is the lack of communication this year. Aside from roster updates and ultimate team stuff, there's zilch.
True indeed but look @ who was communicating. Those individuals are no longer present.

# 32 SteboSSK @ 11/28/11 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOV
If you all sit back and think logically for a second, the answer will stick out like a sore thumb. Oh, and it has nothing to do with " laziness" or incompetence"
Of course, everything at this point is sales driven. They dont have to go above and beyond anymore to make a mark or standard. At this point they are the football standard. With no competition its pretty much a win win situation. Cant get mad at them for it, its just business. If consumers want to see things change, they will not purchase the game altogether. I dont see how people buy this game year in and year out and complain on these boards. M12 was my first madden I purchased not played since M09...this is my last first day purchase from them until I have solid evidence that the game has really improved. I payed my money for it so I will enjoy it for what it offers.

# 33 Gotmadskillzson @ 11/28/11 02:10 PM
I can think of several things that needs to be fixed in this game and NCAA, just off the top of my head:

1. Coach mode needs to be fixed in Madden.

A) You have way too much control, you can move anybody that you want, throw to anybody you want, that isn't coach mode, that is nothing but Auto Pass from broadcast cam. That isn't coach mode, coach mode is exactly how NCAA 12 has it, you call the plays and that's it.

B) In Coach Mode in Madden 12, the QB of the team you are controlling don't ever scramble. Don't matter what his traits are, he will not scramble and will just take sack after sack when he has nobody to throw to.

2. Lack of pass interference.

3. DTs are overpowered in the game and get more sacks then DEs, which in itself is BS. All these years and EA still hasn't learned how to replicate a pass rush from the DE position.

4. Special teams needs an over haul from the ground up.

A) There needs to be blocked punts by the CPU.

B) CPU needs to return a punt for a TD every once in a while.

C) CPU needs to return a kickoff for a TD every once in a while.

Seriously watching the CPU do special teams in Madden and NCAA has always been way too predictable and boring, since you know damn well they won't ever get more then 10 yards or ever is a threat to return it for a TD.

That is like you know damn well your punt will never ever be blocked, so therefore you don't ever have to do max protect. Special teams is too automatic. Always perfect snaps, perfect holds.

5. Ball carrier vision logic needs to be fixed. All ball carriers seem to suffer from tunnel vision and just one in a straight line way too much, instead of using the entire field. And everybody seem to have the attitude of I am going to try to run the defender over, despite my size and his size.

I for one am tired of seeing speed backs trying to run over players that out weigh them. If you took the names and numbers off the players, you couldn't visually tell the difference between a power back or speed back. Just like you can't tell the difference between a DT or DE, a pocket QB from a scrambler QB.

Everybody runs the same way. Everybody moves the same way and everybody always try to run over people. There is no variation in anything.

It is though EA only could afford to hire one MoCap guy and he played all the positions.

6. Tackle animations and break tackle animations need to be over hauled from the ground up. For all their talk of 100s of new tackle animations and 100s of gang tackle animations, I only see the same 4 tackle animations over and over again.

And in 12 for Madden and NCAA, the developers overdosed on power hits. Majority of the tackles are power hits that look like they really pushing you then actually hitting you.

7. Locomotion needs an overhaul from the ground up. You can still turn on a dime on offense and defense, same thing for the CPU. There is no sense of weight shifting or anything. You don't lose speed or anything when you change directions.

8. WR/DB interaction.....there is none. It is still nothing but a foot race to a spot on the field. And who ever is fastest, wins. Speed is still king and only thing that really matters. DB still mirrors the WR step for step. Most of the time he cuts before the WR does.

9. Player mirroring over all is a big time problem. You see it everywhere, especially between the OL/DL. You still see 2 or 3 players on the line either break their bock at the same time in the same direction or they get pancaked at the same time.

You still see with ball carriers, every move you do, the entire defense that is following you do the exact same thing as you at the same time. Quite comical and sad at the same time that still happens in this day and age.

# 34 RGiles36 @ 11/28/11 02:15 PM
Quote:
True indeed but look @ who was communicating. Those individuals are no longer present.
Right, but I think someone should carry the torch. There should be some mouthpiece in place. Not someone who caters to OS as Ian once did, but someone who'll drop a blog every other week or so to let us know that they are listening and/or still supporting the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I agree that developer communication has seemed minimal this year post release but what real benefit came when there was more interaction in the past?

I know people lauded some past devs for their community interaction and I think credit should be given where credit is due. However, I can't recall how that extra PR had any effect on Madden or my general perception of it.
If we're talking about community interaction in general, then I'd disagree with you that no real benefit came as a result. When I look at M09 (when interaction first started) and the finished M12, the quality and features speak for themselves. I think the game improved immensely w/ interaction.

As far as post-release goes, it just seems to me that Tiburon provided a lot of support for M10 & M11. I can't remember clearly for M10, but M11 received quite a few patches. Not to mention DLC to add even more authencity to their game. Just seems there was more enthusiasm and committment surrounding the previous product. This year, not so much...

# 35 C the Lyte @ 11/28/11 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
I can think of several things that needs to be fixed in this game and NCAA, just off the top of my head:

1. Coach mode needs to be fixed in Madden.

A) You have way too much control, you can move anybody that you want, throw to anybody you want, that isn't coach mode, that is nothing but Auto Pass from broadcast cam. That isn't coach mode, coach mode is exactly how NCAA 12 has it, you call the plays and that's it.

B) In Coach Mode in Madden 12, the QB of the team you are controlling don't ever scramble. Don't matter what his traits are, he will not scramble and will just take sack after sack when he has nobody to throw to.

2. Lack of pass interference.

3. DTs are overpowered in the game and get more sacks then DEs, which in itself is BS. All these years and EA still hasn't learned how to replicate a pass rush from the DE position.

4. Special teams needs an over haul from the ground up.

A) There needs to be blocked punts by the CPU.

B) CPU needs to return a punt for a TD every once in a while.

C) CPU needs to return a kickoff for a TD every once in a while.

Seriously watching the CPU do special teams in Madden and NCAA has always been way too predictable and boring, since you know damn well they won't ever get more then 10 yards or ever is a threat to return it for a TD.

That is like you know damn well your punt will never ever be blocked, so therefore you don't ever have to do max protect. Special teams is too automatic. Always perfect snaps, perfect holds.

5. Ball carrier vision logic needs to be fixed. All ball carriers seem to suffer from tunnel vision and just one in a straight line way too much, instead of using the entire field. And everybody seem to have the attitude of I am going to try to run the defender over, despite my size and his size.

I for one am tired of seeing speed backs trying to run over players that out weigh them. If you took the names and numbers off the players, you couldn't visually tell the difference between a power back or speed back. Just like you can't tell the difference between a DT or DE, a pocket QB from a scrambler QB.

Everybody runs the same way. Everybody moves the same way and everybody always try to run over people. There is no variation in anything.

It is though EA only could afford to hire one MoCap guy and he played all the positions.

6. Tackle animations and break tackle animations need to be over hauled from the ground up. For all their talk of 100s of new tackle animations and 100s of gang tackle animations, I only see the same 4 tackle animations over and over again.

And in 12 for Madden and NCAA, the developers overdosed on power hits. Majority of the tackles are power hits that look like they really pushing you then actually hitting you.

7. Locomotion needs an overhaul from the ground up. You can still turn on a dime on offense and defense, same thing for the CPU. There is no sense of weight shifting or anything. You don't lose speed or anything when you change directions.

8. WR/DB interaction.....there is none. It is still nothing but a foot race to a spot on the field. And who ever is fastest, wins. Speed is still king and only thing that really matters. DB still mirrors the WR step for step. Most of the time he cuts before the WR does.

9. Player mirroring over all is a big time problem. You see it everywhere, especially between the OL/DL. You still see 2 or 3 players on the line either break their bock at the same time in the same direction or they get pancaked at the same time.

You still see with ball carriers, every move you do, the entire defense that is following you do the exact same thing as you at the same time. Quite comical and sad at the same time that still happens in this day and age.
That turned into a wishlist with the quickness.

# 36 roadman @ 11/28/11 02:48 PM
Quote:
I agree that developer communication has seemed minimal this year post release but what real benefit came when there was more interaction in the past?

I know people lauded some past devs for their community interaction and I think credit should be given where credit is due. However, I can't recall how that extra PR had any effect on Madden or my general perception of it.

Seems to me the lack of tuner sets kind of speaks for itself, in that they said tuner sets would allow them to tweek certain aspects without having to wait on a patch. So no tuner sets would seem to suggest there is nothing that can be tweeked, instead of patched, that they think should be. I have seen people compare the NCAA 11 tuner set that addressed the DE/DT pressure, I think, but since tuners don't seem to be multiple choice, I guess they would rather leave well enough alone.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't think tuner sets can address much more than what slider sets can. So rather than putting out a factory slider set/tuner set, it seems reasonable to just let offline/online community players make their own adjustments, not rock the boat for online head to head players that are satisfied with the current settings and of course ignore online franchise players until hopefully next year. LOL

PS: I am not trying to be "smart" with that last comment because it has been implied that online franchise is a focal point for M13 but was not touched much for M12. Based on that it's reasonable to believe that online franchise players are probably not considered when making decisions about tuner sets.
I need to disagree with this just a bit.

When Ian was in charge, OS has members picked to go to Community Day for a few years. Also, Ian put a wish list up during the production of 10 in the main forum and when 10 was finished, he brought the wish list back up and stated 90% of what OS wished for was in the game.

So, OS did have a much more influence back then vs now.

# 37 RGiles36 @ 11/28/11 02:55 PM
Quote:
I make no secret of my belief that M13 will break the Madden mold and think the current team has little interest in placing much focus on outgoing developers Madden "swan song". I think there will be far more post release interaction with M13 seeing as more current leadership would seem to have more personal investment in it.
That's a good point...and I hope you're right.

# 38 bigfnjoe96 @ 11/28/11 03:51 PM
Sad....

10char

# 39 roadman @ 11/28/11 05:58 PM
Quote:
Again, I was talking post release and I should have made that more clear. I think there will be just as much pre-release interaction as before and that it can't help but have some impact on the game.
I hope you are right about that.

# 40 LambertandHam @ 11/28/11 05:59 PM
While I find myself playing Madden 12 more than past Madden's, I'm a little miffed about the tuner sets, and other things talked up before release.

Tuner sets are in house, and shouldn't be that hard.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.