Home
News Post

Playstation.Blog has posted their MLB 12 The Show hands-on preview, along with an interview with Community Manager, Ramone Russell.

Quote:
PlayStation.Blog: What’s your personal favorite addition this year?

Ramone Russell, Community Manager: I think it’s our new ball physics. Our programmer ripped out every line of last year’s code and completely re-invented the way the ball acts. It’s a nerd feature, but it adds so much to the game. The baseball gains and loses energy like a real baseball, and if you go into replay, you can count the rotations – that ball is going to spin the way it’s supposed to. This opens up the game because we have bloopers, ricochets off the bases, balls going into no man’s land….it’s much more dynamic and engaging.

After reading the article, what are you most excited about?

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 mjsonoma01 @ 12/09/11 12:57 AM
Well, as this blog values opinions, all I can say about the article is "Meh."

The ball physics sound cool, presentation doesnt really matter a whole lot to me because I sim alot. When I do play it is on fast mode cuz I dont want to spend 40 minutes on one game.

Im still hoping for some good news regarding the franchise free agent issue and trade logic problems. Has ANYONE heard ANYTHING regarding that this year?

Knight? Have you?

# 42 Mynameztwitch @ 12/09/11 01:58 AM
I'm most excited by the new multiplayer mode.

"Nobody has every done a multiplayer mode like this in any sports game, ever."

One thing I have been hoping for for years (probably unrealistically too) is a multiplayer mode similar to Road to the Show where you compete against other teams. Straight 9 on 9 games.

# 43 bcruise @ 12/09/11 02:17 AM
Not that I wasn't already planning to be a day one Vita adopter, but this news just completely sealed the deal. If they really crammed the whole PS3 Show experience into it then....wow. I think we're going to be very impressed with where the handheld focus has been going these last few years.

And, oh yeah - the PS3 game sounds pretty good too. Obviously the gameplay and broadcast additions will be welcome, but now as a Move adopter I'm curious to see that in action, and how it connects with the Show's core gameplay. Hopefully there will be options to do some things with the Move and some not (I'd rather not do the fielding if it's just going to be a flick in a direction). I might as well book my appointment right now for Tommy John's Surgery now that we can pitch with it....

# 44 CujoMatty @ 12/09/11 02:31 AM
I thought nothing of the Vita at all until I read that you can continue your franchise on both the ps3 and Vita. Thanks Sony there goes 300 bucks I'm pre ordering tommorow.

# 45 Guffers @ 12/09/11 03:10 AM
I really saw no need to spend cash on a Vita...until now.

Two thumbs way up for these devs, they never fail to deliver. New presentation and ball physics is going to give this game a whole new lease on life.

# 46 LilRick110 @ 12/09/11 03:28 AM
although I haven't been playing my PS3 lately, I've been on 360 playing Madden, and some of the shooters. I always go back to PS3 for MLB the show. To be honest I haven't bought a 2K baseball game since MLB 2K7. I am wondering what this new presentation will be like, last year was good but this should be even better. I am kinda hoping they bring back King of The Diamond. That mini-game was fun.

# 47 gigadkc @ 12/09/11 05:43 AM
this will be the very first The Show game I won't buy. It's simply the same thing every year. Some things that annoy me:

1. I love cursor batting and I won't buy The Show again if they don't include that. PYS is still king when it comes to batting and ball physics. We'll see how good the physics will be in The Show 12 but I doubt they can compete against PYS.
2. fielding has to be improved, PYS is also better in that area.
3. Multiplayer sucks for years now because of the lag and I don't expect it to be any better.
4. I want all minor league levels and a way better financial system.

I know it sounds like I'm a ***** but why would I have bought every The Show game so far? I simply haven't had any fun in The Show 11 because it feels like every other The Show and I feel that this series is developing sooo slow. It's basically The Show 07 with some new features and slightly improved gameplay. It's okay if you have still fun with the game but I simply prefer PYS these days because to me it feels like it's the more realistic game in almost every area.

# 48 LastActionHero @ 12/09/11 05:56 AM
Man o man this is too much.
Presentation overhaul, completely re-written ball physics and lets not forget a new dynamic tag system as well! And it's just december.

I'm so psyched that If I would get the full new feature list wrapped up under a the tree it would be the best gift of 'm all haha!

# 49 PsychoBulk @ 12/09/11 07:27 AM
In the words of Ramone himself...

Quote:
“The key feedback we heard involved our presentation and commentary, so that’s our number one focus this year.” Russell described a new feature called True Broadcast Presentation, which accurately recreates broadcast camera cuts and other presentation signatures you’d see in a televised MLB broadcast. “We’re trying to blur the lines between baseball simulation on your PS3 and what you’d see on MLB.TV sitting on your couch,” Russell explained. “When a batter strikes out, the camera will cut and you will see his face, his anger.”

Commentary, which Russell specifically described as the “number one complaint” from last year’s game, is seeing a similarly massive overhaul. “You’ll hear more season-specific commentary, more conversation pieces,” Russell explained. “The commentators are going to talk about the MVP race, the Cy Young race, the series that you played in two days before. They’re going to talk about how your pitcher is having an awful year because he’s 5 and 15.”
Winner winner chicken dinner.

My main concerns, addressed in one fell swoop.

Marvellous.

# 50 econoodle @ 12/09/11 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustOpinions
Hearing Presentation is Number 1 Priority accompanied by new commentary its like my favourite team getting two big name free agents lol
I just hope its a 2 man booth even if its Matty V and Dave Campbell again....

lol
heck the Show just signed their 2 biggest free agents!

# 51 nomo17k @ 12/09/11 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigadkc
I know it sounds like I'm a ***** but why would I have bought every The Show game so far? I simply haven't had any fun in The Show 11 because it feels like every other The Show and I feel that this series is developing sooo slow. It's basically The Show 07 with some new features and slightly improved gameplay. It's okay if you have still fun with the game but I simply prefer PYS these days because to me it feels like it's the more realistic game in almost every area.
Again, each to his own... There's nothing wrong with liking PYS; it's a different game with different audience in mind, so there's no point comparing the two like that. Go with PYS if you like it better. Simple as that... (I want to try the game but it's so expensive to import....)

Funny thing is what I read about PYS in Japan is that people over there are now complaining that it has become just a roster update year after year. On the other hand, they are quite pleased by the Show's approach toward realism when they actually bother to import and play it... (You can look at Amazon Japan reviews; it's 2.7/5.0 for PYS and 4.6/5.0 for the Show)

Now with Yu Darvish moving to the MLB, they wonder why the Show isn't officially released over there, despite the popularity of the MLB over there has become not so insignificant these days. (Some joke Konami not letting SCE to do it to hold onto their local advantage...)

So whether gamers feel stale on a game really depend on their familiarity with the game. I love the Show more I get better at playing!!

# 52 markprior22 @ 12/09/11 08:50 AM
While I agree that presentation and commentary are important, I am disappointed that those are the highlighted areas of improvement this year. I hope the developers take the time to sim 15-20 years, stopping every offseason and checking roster mgmt (such as free agent signings, handling of rosters, etc). Make sure financial rules work properly and that trades are tightened up as much as possible. The last several years we've had to wait for a couple of patches to address things such as FA's being unsigned, and that sort of thing. I know it isn't going to be perfect but I would much rather see significant time spent on franchise stuff than making sure it mimics a TV broadcast. Crossing my fingers.

# 53 beerdujour @ 12/09/11 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
Here's to hoping franchise mode got some love this year. One of the big tings I want to see is teams call up or send down players not only for injuries. I want to see players having a great year in the minors be called up or if a player is having a terrible year in the majors get sent down or benched for a prospect.
that would be great...it takes time, but I would manage all 30 teams and promote the AA & AAA players of the month from the email report up 1 league and send down the AA & AAA players on the struggle report...made things fun...

# 54 gigadkc @ 12/09/11 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Again, each to his own... There's nothing wrong with liking PYS; it's a different game with different audience in mind, so there's no point comparing the two like that. Go with PYS if you like it better. Simple as that... (I want to try the game but it's so expensive to import....)
true. The "problem" is I'm not a big fan of Japanese baseball at all so I only play PYS because the game itself is awesome. Too bad Konami doesn't have the licence to make a MLB game, I would be the happiest person on earth

# 55 Pared @ 12/09/11 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste
I've read 'All new Broadcast' features on the back of a lot of game boxes throughout my entire gaming career (not just The Show). Then you play the game and you get a ton of camera angles that aren't real-life camera angles. I'm hoping '12 really delivers!

Ball physics sound great too. I'm excited!

-ghoste
I don't think you have to worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
most overrated commentary there is, gets just as redundant as any other sports game out there. Bought 2k11 and was going through Kings franchise and lost count the number of times I had to hear about Carl Landry catching and elbow to his teeth. Like all games commentary and music gets muted in my house
Oh please - Add in the fact they have NEW commentary as the year progresses with NBA Today... and there isn't a sports game out there with better commentary.

Period.

The Show needs to get onto that level... and it will.

# 56 BSUFAN @ 12/09/11 10:27 AM
Since I am new to The Show , Only getting a PS3 this November for my birthday and having MLB11 to play I have nothing but great things to say and like about the game. Having said that and having only the 2K series to play before I am like a kid in a candy store with The Show and can only say that MLB12 should be awesome for me. So you that complain about it being the same doesn't bother me in the least and am glad to pay my $60.00 for an awesome baseball experience.

# 57 MLB Bob @ 12/09/11 10:33 AM
These feature announcements didn't solve hunger, world peace or diabetes, guess I'll stick to the old games. oh wait, what?, this is the beginning of info to the public and there is over 2 months of features and press releases to come out? nah I heard enough. if they didn't tell us everything day one it's not in there. lol

I think these are some sweet features. the forum has been asking for awhile. I know there's more but these features will make a difference. I have pretty high expectations this year, but I won't get ahead of myself.

I like the new additions, and rightly so I expect other features mentioned when they have more media days and reviews. I think my policy this year is to comment on the features being discussed and not chastising a game development group before we know everything, just seems logical and right

# 58 econoodle @ 12/09/11 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
most overrated commentary there is, gets just as redundant as any other sports game out there. Bought 2k11 and was going through Kings franchise and lost count the number of times I had to hear about Carl Landry catching and elbow to his teeth. Like all games commentary and music gets muted in my house
wow, just wow.

granted when u play in franchise, you hear the same stories for your team.
I think there should be some sort of code that knows which team u chose, and then limits that teams stories/anecdotes.
But most overrated?
Good god, its light years above anything out there.
Have u heard ANY of the Madden's?, FIFA? Tiger? Fight Night?
Yuck lol
To each his own, but to me, its no contest.

# 59 tril @ 12/09/11 10:38 AM
great to see that they are working on the presentation.
But what about the swing stick. any refinements,any chnages. last years swing stick was not fun at all. it wasnt intuitive enough.

# 60 The Kid 24 @ 12/09/11 11:01 AM
Anybody heard if we getting new or more equipment choices this year?? Also, anything about fielding gloves being fixed?? (Where every pitcher/infielder doesn't have trapeze style web and every outfielder doesn't have open style web)

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.