Home
News Post

Playstation.Blog has posted their MLB 12 The Show hands-on preview, along with an interview with Community Manager, Ramone Russell.

Quote:
PlayStation.Blog: What’s your personal favorite addition this year?

Ramone Russell, Community Manager: I think it’s our new ball physics. Our programmer ripped out every line of last year’s code and completely re-invented the way the ball acts. It’s a nerd feature, but it adds so much to the game. The baseball gains and loses energy like a real baseball, and if you go into replay, you can count the rotations – that ball is going to spin the way it’s supposed to. This opens up the game because we have bloopers, ricochets off the bases, balls going into no man’s land….it’s much more dynamic and engaging.

After reading the article, what are you most excited about?

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Pared @ 12/09/11 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
MLB 2k
You're in the wrong forum. If you're interested in discussing that game, you should hit the back button and find the right forum.

# 82 Mr. Franchise @ 12/09/11 05:21 PM
The slow progress of this franchise is starting to bother me.

# 83 Pared @ 12/09/11 05:46 PM
I'm taking that as sarcasm considering your signature.

# 84 Russell_SCEA @ 12/09/11 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB Bob
These feature announcements didn't solve hunger, world peace or diabetes, guess I'll stick to the old games. oh wait, what?, this is the beginning of info to the public and there is over 2 months of features and press releases to come out? nah I heard enough. if they didn't tell us everything day one it's not in there. lol

I think these are some sweet features. the forum has been asking for awhile. I know there's more but these features will make a difference. I have pretty high expectations this year, but I won't get ahead of myself.

I like the new additions, and rightly so I expect other features mentioned when they have more media days and reviews. I think my policy this year is to comment on the features being discussed and not chastising a game development group before we know everything, just seems logical and right

You obviously didn't get the memo, how dare you take the first preview article at face value. I'm not sure I can handle this type of rational thinking, I'm completely flabbergasted that you seem to think its good practice to wait until more info and the fact sheet is released to know all of the new features and updates to the game this year. I don't know how I'm going to handle this type of thinking moving forward.

# 85 econoodle @ 12/09/11 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
You obviously didn't get the memo, how dare you take the first preview article at face value. I'm not sure I can handle this type of rational thinking, I'm completely flabbergasted that you seem to think its good practice to wait until more info and the fact sheet is released to know all of the new features and updates to the game this year. I don't know how I'm going to handle this type of thinking moving forward.

See, Russ can work 15 hour days for months at a time on the Show and still have a quick wit about him.
He aint fried yet!

# 86 Rob_NYY @ 12/09/11 07:26 PM
As a presentation junkie, I am so happy they focused on improving that area and getting us a more TV-like presentation!

# 87 pay_26 @ 12/09/11 07:53 PM
something I would like, to teams should celebrate the end of the division series or World Series with the trophy in the field

greetings mexico

# 88 ChrisHansen59 @ 12/09/11 08:00 PM
So happy for new ball physics. That's the thing that really felt stale in 11, along with commentary. Can't wait for the franchise overhaul either.

Kudos to SCEA.

# 89 Black59Razr @ 12/09/11 09:51 PM
New True Broadcast Presentation
New Ball Physics
New Massive Overhaul Commentary

1 out of 3 aint bad. I turn off commentary and presentation cam no matter what. I hate making the game feel like I am watching it on TV. I want it to feel like I am playing.

Now I just hope they fix the outfielder physics. I hate seeing every OF play like a 21yo Andrew Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolink
Loving that they finally made presentation and commentary their No. 1 priority this year.
Ya, but I liked when he said ball physics was his favorite change this year. It is kinda like a "wink wink" to the gamers out there that dont care about making the game look like TV.

# 90 Russell_SCEA @ 12/09/11 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black59Razr
New Ball Physics

1 out of 3 aint bad. I turn off commentary and presentation cam no matter what. I hate making the game feel like I am watching it on TV. I want it to feel like I am playing.

Now I just hope they fix the outfielder physics. I hate seeing every OF play like a 21yo Andrew Jones.

Ya, but I liked when he said ball physics was his favorite change this year. It is kinda like a "wink wink" to the gamers out there that dont care about making the game look like TV.

I won't promise you the world but I can tell you that the overall speed of all the fielders has been slowed down a bit. Along with their reaction time and arm strength. There is still a bit of tuning left to go but at this point in development its already an improvement over last year.

ai

# 91 econoodle @ 12/09/11 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black59Razr
New Ball Physics

is that what that was? lol i think he just liked that part of it.

# 92 Black59Razr @ 12/09/11 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
I won't promise you the world but I can tell you that the overall speed of all the fielders has been slowed down a bit. Along with their reaction time and arm strength. There is still a bit of tuning left to go but at this point in development its already an improvement over last year.

ai
That is great news! Or maybe its bad news; considering I played over 400 games this year. I'm really gonna have no life next year

I am just hoping to see guys like Adam Dunn completely whiff on line drives to left field. I LOVE the way RTTS outfielders don't instantly show the ball indicator. I wish the CPU's OFs, and users, could impliment that system. Perhaps a top flight OF's indicators can appear instantly, and a 40 year old cather, for example, wont appear for a full second, leaving him to guess on the first few steps.

This year, I ended up putting fielding on manual, just so both teams could equally dominate in the outfield.

# 93 sparkdawg777 @ 12/10/11 01:19 AM
"For PS3, we have a brand-new mode that is really, really innovative. Nobody has every done a multiplayer mode like this in any sports game, ever."

I don't think it's 9 on 9 because he said any SPORTS game, ever. FIFA and NHL have both done this type of Online Team Play.

Maybe a Co-op RTTS? You could go online with friends and play with your RTTS player or possibly playing on the same team offline with a friend? That is my only guess because I don't really see what else could be done as far as Online Franchise goes? I don't think any sports game has ever introduced a co-op player mode? I'm very excited to find out though!

# 94 Spaced Ace @ 12/10/11 03:33 AM
Like I said earlier, SCEA always does a great job making improvements to The Show year in and year out. With that said, this new multiplayer mode... they have to get the net code up to par first. If the game runs horribly online (and let's be honest, it DOES run horribly online) nobody is gonna wanna play it, regardless of how much fun it is. Online is a huge part of most games nowadays, and it needs to get a lot attention for 2012. Console online gaming has been around for years now, there should be no reason The Show should perform so poorly online, especially when the offline game is so damn good.

# 95 Spaced Ace @ 12/10/11 03:42 AM
I stand corrected. Apparently, this new mode doesn't necessarily involve multiplayer or online functionality. My comments stand though. Online play needs a MAJOR upgrade when it comes to smoothness, timing, and playability.

# 96 JT30 @ 12/10/11 08:48 AM
Great article! Looking forward to this game

# 97 Pared @ 12/10/11 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced Ace
Console online gaming has been around for years now, there should be no reason The Show should perform so poorly online
No, not at all. It's not like sports games in every genre continue to be plagued with lag, drops, issues, etc.

WWE'12 ("sport" for the smartass guys) certainly didn't have issues when it launched online.

NBA 2k doesn't have issues online typically.

No one complains about Madden online and random drops.

I don't recall NCAA having issues with their online dynasty.

FIFA isn't the cause of account hackings recently.

NHL doesn't have issues with disappearing players.

I completely get what you're saying - this online thing should be simple. What the heck are they waiting for? A child could get this online thing up and running without any problems!

# 98 Millennium @ 12/10/11 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
No, not at all. It's not like sports games in every genre continue to be plagued with lag, drops, issues, etc.

WWE'12 ("sport" for the smartass guys) certainly didn't have issues when it launched online.

I completely get what you're saying - this online thing should be simple. What the heck are they waiting for? A child could get this online thing up and running without any problems!
I laughed. Then I cried. You speak the truth, oh wise Wall.

# 99 Spaced Ace @ 12/10/11 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared

Easy. I'm not trying to be a smartass. I know all sports games have issues online. With that said, what is the point of something like an online franchise mode when it runs horribly? I'm sure it's not that simple, but something has to be done. As good as The Show is, this game would be even better with online play that didn't suck. I'm sure you'd agree. I don't expect the online portion to run identical to the offline game, but I do expect it to be playable. Co-op games online in The Show run decent enough, but head-to-head is awful.

# 100 Pared @ 12/10/11 04:01 PM
I know of one league that has made it work somehow. I agree that it could be better but it's obviously a problem for every game.

Is that an excuse/cop out/poor reason? Maybe to some. Until I start seeing multiple sports developers have a solid online offering free of issues then all I can expect is improvement or at least attempts at improvement, something this team does year in and year out.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.