Home
News Post

Ebenezer Samuel, writer for The New York Daily News, has posted his MLB 12 The Show hands-on impressions, discussing the improvements made in the game with the Playstation Move.

Quote:
Sony’s Move can differentiate various swings, and it does it with relative accuracy. If you pull your shoulder back and “load,” it reads that as a power swing, and if you attempt to check your swing, the game can read that, too. It’s all instantly immersive, and it easily adds tremendous drama to each and every at-bat.

It’s also incredibly difficult. I don’t know about you, but I’m not exactly headed for next year’s MLB Draft, and if not for pitch-guessing and quick button-pressing reflexes, my virtual Albert Pujols would never smack a single home run, so the idea of stepping into the batter’s box against a pixelated Jared Weaver is not a pleasant thought. You don’t have much time to recognize pitches in this game, and while each and every at-bat is exhilarating in its realism, it’s also frustrating once you realize that you’re, well, not anywhere close to MLB-ready.

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 sydrogerdavid @ 12/09/11 11:39 AM
I wonder if they fix the delay. In 11, you practically have to swing just after the ball leaves the pitchers hand.

# 2 tnixen @ 12/09/11 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydrogerdavid
I wonder if they fix the delay. In 11, you practically have to swing just after the ball leaves the pitchers hand.
That delay issue is the reason I did not buy the move controller for MLB 11 The Show. If they fixed the delay then I guess I will be buying a move controller. When I swing the move controller I want the bat on screen to move at the same exact time. A delay even if its very small is just not fun at all to me and ruins the experience.

I played baseball on the Wii and I don't remember there being any delay at all when swinging the Wii controller.

# 3 nomo17k @ 12/09/11 12:10 PM
Now this is so enticing!

I'm a bit surprised Move will be introduced so quick right after the pure analog last year, but if this actually works just like real stuff, the Show will be a really, really fun game to play. I've been quite amazed how sensitive Move is, and it will be a good sport game to showcase its ability as well... (On the other hand, using Move with the HR derby in MLB11 isn't really fun at all...)

(What I hope is eventually the pitching interface also becomes like real life with Move... probably harder to do than hitting, but it will be cool to be able to actually pitch with your body/arm! Good exercise as well!!)

It looks like getting Michael Jackson The Experience was a wrong Move for me after all!

Edit: Right, something like the delay in response, if really present, needs to be addressed... it can be a deal breaker for choosing among different interfaces...

# 4 TheBrew101 @ 12/09/11 01:54 PM
I'm excited about this news. Played the crap out of The Show 09. Skipped 10 as was still happy with 09. Played a ton of MLB11 this year and was thinking might skip 12 but if The Move is integrated well I might have to change my thinking. Granted the Home Run Derby support last year left a little to be desired, but I liked the concept of swinging rather than just pushing buttons or moving joypad. Hope it works and is fun. I just got The Move a week ago as part of a cheap Tiger Woods bundle package Best Buy was running and I like it. But don't really see any other games that use The Move that are any good so hopin The Show 12 is.

(Sidenote, how can there not be a good Tennis game out there that uses The Move. Or boxing. Or even bowling. The Move technology seems pretty good--wish there were good in-depth games that used it. It is nice to be able to move around when playing a game instead of just sitting there and it is a more immersive experience I think.)

# 5 BKAraujo @ 12/09/11 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew101
I'm excited about this news. Played the crap out of The Show 09. Skipped 10 as was still happy with 09. Played a ton of MLB11 this year and was thinking might skip 12 but if The Move is integrated well I might have to change my thinking. Granted the Home Run Derby support last year left a little to be desired, but I liked the concept of swinging rather than just pushing buttons or moving joypad. Hope it works and is fun. I just got The Move a week ago as part of a cheap Tiger Woods bundle package Best Buy was running and I like it. But don't really see any other games that use The Move that are any good so hopin The Show 12 is.

(Sidenote, how can there not be a good Tennis game out there that uses The Move. Or boxing. Or even bowling. The Move technology seems pretty good--wish there were good in-depth games that used it. It is nice to be able to move around when playing a game instead of just sitting there and it is a more immersive experience I think.)
Don't mean to jump off topic here but Sports Champions Table Tennis on Move is amazing. When bronze assist is turned off in options and that paddle does everything you do it is awesome.

# 6 sydrogerdavid @ 12/09/11 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAraujo
Don't mean to jump off topic here but Sports Champions Table Tennis on Move is amazing. When bronze assist is turned off in options and that paddle does everything you do it is awesome.

Right. This is the kind of reaction the Show needs. To me, it seems the Move is synced perfectly with the paddle.

# 7 nomo17k @ 12/09/11 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAraujo
Yes, most games in Sports Champions are good with Move. Have to agree with Table Tennis (no, it's not Ping Pong)! That thing is amazingly fast and cool! (I got my PS3 as a Move bundle last with SC; it's a good set of games to showcase what Move can do.) If Table Tennis is any indication, playing baseball with Move would be an amazing experience. Hope the devs get the first iteration right!

Gradiator Duel is fun as well. Amazing how fine you can control the sword and the shield with Move. It will be amazing in the Show, eventually!

# 8 Blzer @ 12/09/11 04:13 PM
I'm really excited to see how the player models interact with us controlling the bat when we're in our stances. Is it possible that we can kind of "makeshift" our own versions of their stances while they're batting? For instance, if I wanted to give myself a Griffey pose when batting, it might be reflective in-game as I'm batting with somebody?

Or do you think they scrapped out the "stance" portion this year that was in the floating bat mechanism for HRD last year, and they'll just have their stance until you swing with them?

# 9 nomo17k @ 12/09/11 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I'm really excited to see how the player models interact with us controlling the bat when we're in our stances. Is it possible that we can kind of "makeshift" our own versions of their stances while they're batting? For instance, if I wanted to give myself a Griffey pose when batting, it might be reflective in-game as I'm batting with somebody?

Or do you think they scrapped out the "stance" portion this year that was in the floating bat mechanism for HRD last year, and they'll just have their stance until you swing with them?
I don't think that would be possible with Move... Basically the only info you can give with the Move stick is how you orient and move your bat, and *not* how you actually move your body.

But I can reasonably assure Move will be much, much more realistic than analog, because there's a lot more detailed info you can transmit between the game and the controller.

Now, if you have a bunch of Move sticks and attach them to your body and do something similar to motion capture, that's another story but I don't think the time is ripe for it... But theoretically possible... maybe next generation gaming...

# 10 tril @ 12/09/11 06:48 PM
thats nice, but playing 162 games every at bat.
I can see alot of injuries, especially those that really want to swing like they are really playing.
it woudl be nice if they had a life size bat also, to work with.

# 11 Chef Matt @ 12/09/11 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
thats nice, but playing 162 games every at bat.
I can see alot of injuries, especially those that really want to swing like they are really playing.
it woudl be nice if they had a life size bat also, to work with.
Not quite lifesize but there are a few decent third party accesories out there.

I bought a different one then this and it worked OK. But my son took it outside and used it as a lightsaber so it's broken now...

# 12 Blzer @ 12/09/11 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I don't think that would be possible with Move... Basically the only info you can give with the Move stick is how you orient and move your bat, and *not* how you actually move your body.

But I can reasonably assure Move will be much, much more realistic than analog, because there's a lot more detailed info you can transmit between the game and the controller.

Now, if you have a bunch of Move sticks and attach them to your body and do something similar to motion capture, that's another story but I don't think the time is ripe for it... But theoretically possible... maybe next generation gaming...
That's what I was thinking. Me bending my knees wouldn't do anything for the player, unless our calibration means that the camera knows the proper height and facing of the controller to do these very things for us. Probably not, though.

# 13 TreyIM2 @ 12/09/11 08:23 PM
I can't see playing every at bat with this. I didn't read the article but I wonder if u can assign Move functionality to certain players on ur team so u don't have to use the Move for every at bat.

# 14 sparkdawg777 @ 12/09/11 11:32 PM
I'm not sure if I missed it in the article but surely we will be able to use the move with our RTTS player right?

# 15 Bobhead @ 12/10/11 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
it'd be nice if they would allow us to play something other than 162 game seasons. How about letting us shorten the season so that instead of playing 3 game series you can play 2 or even 1 for a really short season. I can never make it through a full season, i hate to sim games and 162 games is just so much to play.
This has already been an option for at least a couple of years. I already sold 2011 in preparation to buy 2012, so I can't tell you where it is, but I promise you... it's in there.

# 16 Bobhead @ 12/10/11 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Matt
I bought a different one then this and it worked OK. But my son took it outside and used it as a lightsaber so it's broken now...
This is hilarious.

# 17 El_MaYiMbE @ 12/10/11 08:23 AM
I know that SCEA is obviously a Sony company, and Move is a Sony product, but this is not a feature for die-hard console fans or baseball fans.

Yes, you get to swing a bat but it will never replicate the true "live" experience and playing with a control in this scenario ironically does it more justice.

I am sure Sony is making them make this, but I think other things should come as priority. Just my 2 cents.

However still very cool for those who will enjoy it.

# 18 nomo17k @ 12/10/11 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
Yes, you get to swing a bat but it will never replicate the true "live" experience and playing with a control in this scenario ironically does it more justice.
You can say this to all video games though. It will never be the replications of real stuff. Yet the Move will provide another console gaming experience by itself is unique, that's for sure...

I don't know if you've used Move before, but I'm quite impressed by the controller. The HR derby in MLB11 was a letdown but I think you see what I mean if you've played Table Tennis in Sports Champions.

# 19 LastActionHero @ 12/10/11 08:40 AM
Remember companies (Sony in this case) always try to sell their product to a broader audience to increase sales. SCEA always listens to us hardcore fans but ofcourse also have to keep sales in mind otherwise this game won't get another chance upcoming years.

I must say I've never been interested in the move. Hearing about the little lag and the fact you only could see a floating bat kept me from even trying. But now hearing you see the actual player I'm getting curious, if the lag is gone as well I will definitely give it a try! Having friends over and swing for the fences with your favourite player in homerun derby (or the actual game in '12) will be a blast.

# 20 ps3veron @ 12/10/11 09:43 AM
The whole Move integration is very exciting and as usual I hate to be the pessimist but I am not a fan of Move (nor do I own it). When I get home from a long day, I am happy to be a couch potato pressing (and totally mis timing) X for a swing.

I'd love to see the analog functions better defined for example and the entirely new ball physics has me drooling.

Sure there is huge potential in this but I am just hoping there are enough improvements to keep us core (and perhaps boring) players interested.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.