Home
Madden 12 News Post

EA Sports had plans to bring back Madden on the PC, but not they way you would have liked. According to Kotaku, they were looking to deliver a browser-based game, but it never materialized.

Quote:
EA Sports, which ended publication of Madden NFL for the PC in 2008, evidently had plans to return to that platform through a browser-based game sometime in 2010, according to mockups created by a former staff designer. The label was serious enough about the project to build a working, mouse-driven interface for the game's console engine.

It doesn't sound like it will happen, but would this interest you at all?

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Gotmadskillzson @ 12/22/11 04:45 PM
Browser based ? Not interested.......Give me a full game on a disc that I can play on my PC, that way I can mod the hell out of it and make it better then the way they designed it.

# 2 baseballsim @ 12/22/11 05:16 PM
I think a text-based Madden football game (similiar to Strat-O-Matic) could work. On defense you could pick your play, hot route some guys, and then pinch the line. On offense, you could do the same and then let the engine generate the outcome.

# 3 dcal @ 12/22/11 09:55 PM
Lame idea. Bring THE FULL GAME back to the PC. I want madden not some browser based Sodoku knock off.

# 4 DigitalMikey @ 12/22/11 10:27 PM
Yes, please bring it back to the PC. I'm still playing 08 actually because it's pretty much the same damn product as 12 on consoles.

# 5 dcal @ 12/22/11 11:16 PM
I am thinking of picking up madden 08 pc again

# 6 KBLover @ 12/23/11 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballsim
I think a text-based Madden football game (similiar to Strat-O-Matic) could work. On defense you could pick your play, hot route some guys, and then pinch the line. On offense, you could do the same and then let the engine generate the outcome.
Yeah, or an OOTP-type game for NFL football.

# 7 GlennN @ 12/23/11 02:03 PM
None for me. Either put out the real (full) game or don't bother.

# 8 Nza @ 12/24/11 05:13 PM
Browsers can actually do a fair bit these days and it won't be long before proper widespread 3D acceleration is possible within a browser. I'm not sure what effectively amounts to a "wrapper" really provides developers looking to make proper 3D PC games however - people surely want them to be fullscreen, so why bother having them in a browser? It will be aimed at taking current browser based games to the next level, not as a desktop replacement.

Although with that said, with Windows 8 and the Metro app initiative, which is HTML5 and Javascript driven, such a browser based game could effectively become a "desktop" game.

Not sure what EA were thinking here. The quote "The label was serious enough about the project to build a working, mouse-driven interface for the game's console engine" seems to suggest you'd be given the chance to manage a Madden franchise in your browser, which their servers actually play out? And you watch? Kind of like as a GM? Or maybe even as coach mode. I think I would probably pay to try something like this, if heavy improvements were made to Madden's GM functions. I still want Madden back on the PC though - with NBA 2K on PC, EA officially ran out of excuses years ago. It's clear now EA Sports are just not savvy enough to tend to a PC audience and aren't even going to bother to try - we scare them, I suspect.

# 9 LambertandHam @ 12/25/11 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballsim
Someone else that enjoys Start-O-Matic?

While I play Madden on a console, the prospect of being able to mess with the game internally, adding rosters, and players easily, would certain make me give it a look.

# 10 ab713 @ 12/28/11 08:28 AM
I don't think this would have been a stripped down version of the game. It would just move all of the UI menus into the browser, allowing you to adjust your franchise, etc, from anywhere and then launch the on the field 3d game similar to how battlefield 3 works.

Since they are saying it would be a 4GB download, I am sure that graphical assets would be on you PC meaning you could have free reign to mod as you wish.

I don't really see a negative here and would welcome it; especially if it indeed had the ability to manage a franchise from anywhere.

# 11 RunRunPass @ 12/31/11 03:28 AM
I lament the passing of the pc version of the game and would certainly buy it again if it were to return. Not sure about the browser -based version but would probably give it a go if that was all that was on offer. After they dumped the pc version, I launched a one-man boycott of Madden 09, but had to succumb to buying a ps3 the following year just so I could play Madden again.

Having played on the ps3 for several years in online leagues I think I would stick with that but would love to get back to the pc as well. Sadly, I don't think it will happen as they just can't rake in the same amount of money for pc games as they can console ones.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.