Home
NHL 12 News Post

As mentioned on the 22nd, NHL 12 patch 1.04 is available now, please post your impressions here.

For the NHL 12 1.04 patch details, click here.

Game: NHL 12Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 26 - View All
NHL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 jyoung @ 01/08/12 02:13 PM
Penalties seem the same to me.

Only change I've seen with this patch are the numbers on helmets.

I think you guys are placeboing.

# 142 BlueNGold @ 01/08/12 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33

How is it placebo for something that you actually get stats for? Saying you're getting X amount of penalties now is a lot different than "I think the puck is looser now".

I've had a game post-patch where I had 5 penalties combined in one period. I've played over 80 games of NHL 12 and I never had that happen pre-patch. That's not placebo at all.

# 143 gopher_guy @ 01/08/12 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33

Yeah, like BlueNGold said, not really "placeboing" when you have hard statistical evidence. I know for a fact that penalties have increased for me, post patch.

# 144 MizzouRah @ 01/08/12 11:27 PM
I just played a BAGM game (no patch) where I had 1 penalty and the CPU took 6. I honestly don't think they did anything with penalties, but only EA really knows since nothing was mentioned in the patch notes.

# 145 metal134 @ 01/09/12 12:01 AM
I think I'll have to bust this back out and see for myself about the penalties. I shelved it because of this issue, though I check in from time to time to see if it's been fixed. But right now, it seems some people are seeing more and some are seeing the same.

# 146 metal134 @ 01/09/12 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speels
I am just going to throw this out there, but people are comparing the PP and PK to real NHL stats. But, no one has even mentioned that fact that most of us play with either 10 or 7 minute periods. This means that we are really only playing half a game, therefore stats should be about half what they are in a real NHL game. So when people are getting 3 penalties per game, then IRL that would average to 6 which is about right. Playing 10 minutes of NHL12 is not likeplaying 20 minutes of real hockey, its like playing 10 minutes.
Video game hockey does not play at the same pace as real life hockey. So I may play 10 minute periods and get, say, 4 penalties which would average to 8 in a 20 minute period. But here's the problem. Playing 10 minute periods, I average about 60 or so combined shots per game. So in 20 minute periods, that would be about 120 shots per game. So where's the middle ground?

# 147 Vikes1 @ 01/09/12 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Which is about close to real as you're going to get. I used to be like Harshy and those guys, now I just enjoy the game for what it is and if I can get it to play a fairly realistic game I'm satisfied.
Like you Real....overall, I'm pretty satisfied with '12'.

Yeah, there's somethings I wish were different, but I normally get a satisfying game of video hockey outta this game. Of course I wish it was an outstanding experience....but being 'satisfied", isn't all that bad a place to be with a video game, imo.

Heck...I play the game as much as I have time for. So that pretty much says it all.

# 148 canucksss @ 01/09/12 01:41 AM
in my BaGM, after the experiencing 6 pens called in 1 game, after playing 4 games i only encountered only 2 penalties total!!! in those 4 games, i played 3 teams in my division.... supposed to have at least 2 pens per game there... but only 1 was called.

i was excited at first that im finding there are penalties being called. (im not picky... even 2 pens per game for me is acceptable) but now im finding myself wiht the same frustration pre-patch.

# 149 blitzkreig @ 01/09/12 08:18 AM
I Notice before the patch I would recieve trade offers daily. Maybe 1-2 trade offers a day. Now I don't get any... it must be the patch. I dont have a problem with it really, cause they were never good offers but it was just something I have noticed.

# 150 Millennium @ 01/09/12 08:36 AM
In regards to penalties:

Honestly - I think the penalty issue is based on user play style. If you rush down the ice and try to pass once and shoot, you aren't going to get any penalties. Penalties are created in hockey by tired players for the most part, and tired players are created by offensive zone possession.

Rush players just aren't going to see as many penalties, and the stat I would like to see is the Offensive Zone Possession Time ratio to Penalties.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

# 151 MizzouRah @ 01/09/12 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
In regards to penalties:

Honestly - I think the penalty issue is based on user play style. If you rush down the ice and try to pass once and shoot, you aren't going to get any penalties. Penalties are created in hockey by tired players for the most part, and tired players are created by offensive zone possession.

Rush players just aren't going to see as many penalties, and the stat I would like to see is the Offensive Zone Possession Time ratio to Penalties.

You might be right.. one guy on here who has his fatigue set to max is getting many penalties called.

# 152 Millennium @ 01/09/12 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
You might be right.. one guy on here who has his fatigue set to max is getting many penalties called.
I use max fatigue and 2 for recovery, and I get a mixed bag.

The one thing I know is this: I use the Caps. I often get into the "rush up the ice and use my skill players" rut, and I started losing and couldn't figure out why. Then I looked at stats: my offensive zone TOP and my penalties were way down.

Sometimes the answer you're looking for is the one staring you in the face: maybe on ice strategy needs to change...not sliders.

# 153 gsize19 @ 01/09/12 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Yes I get a lot more penalties and I use max on fatigue...

# 154 MizzouRah @ 01/09/12 10:00 PM
I think my fatigue is set to 4/4 or something like that and I'm happy with what I'm averaging for 10 minute periods.

# 155 DJ @ 01/09/12 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Which is about close to real as you're going to get. I used to be like Harshy and those guys, now I just enjoy the game for what it is and if I can get it to play a fairly realistic game I'm satisfied.
Me too, Realm. I've got the game tuned to where I want it and I'm seeing a nice range of penalties (8 in my last game). The game is fun to play, and that to me, is the most important thing.

# 156 Vikes1 @ 01/10/12 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
In regards to penalties:

Honestly - I think the penalty issue is based on user play style. If you rush down the ice and try to pass once and shoot, you aren't going to get any penalties.
In many ways Mill.... I'm guilty as charged.

Yep, I do quite a bit of looking for that one open pass and shoot, type of rush up ice. And I have noticed when I do try to stick-handle my way through defenders...ie, move my feet, I do draw more penalties.

# 157 Guffers @ 01/10/12 06:10 AM
I couldn't agree more. Since upping the fatigue slider and slowing down my play I'm also seeing more penalties. I still give away more than the CPU but its a rather large improvement.

I feel sheepish for writing this game off a few days ago because it's now starting to really click with me.

# 158 jb1 @ 01/10/12 06:12 AM
I played a couple of games last night, my first games for sometime and they both reminded me of why I bought the game in the first place. They were just great, excitement filled fast paced games, a 5-3 and a 7-4 with 6 penalties called in each game.

I've said before that the only gameplay issues I have with this game are penalties and pass reception, other than that I think it's a very good game to play.

Whether the patch has done anything to penalties or not I don't know but what I did notice was that whereas some calls were being missed when I last played these same calls were being made last night.

The most important thing I think when playing is as others have said enjoying the game and last night I did just that, hopefully that continues.

# 159 jake19ny @ 01/10/12 10:12 AM
I'm going to try the fatigue thing when I get a chance....been so pissed at this game and been hooked on Skyrim so it fell to the wayside. I will say I always try and cycle the puck, work behind the net, and set up plays and still do not draw penalties. I'm glad its working for some of you and the rest of us can only hope....the truth is though its still a broken aspect of the game. It never mattered what style or how you played in the past and was never a problem in past games, nor was it a problem pre patches so its so damn annoying that its not addressed by EA. I will say the fact that some of you are getting it to work better is hope for the rest of us but I'm weary of trying to hash it out. I hope this fatigue thing works for me otherwise I may abandon my season for the first time in about 16 years......

# 160 Pythons80 @ 01/10/12 01:25 PM
I'm not entirely convinced some of the people on this board aren't working for EA!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.