Home
Grand Slam Tennis 2 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

The EA SPORTS™ Grand Slam® Tennis 2 demo is available today on Xbox LIVE® and the PlayStation® Network. Start out playing as the world’s number one ranked player*, Novak Djokovic on the Practice Court to develop your shots using Total Racquet Control, and progress to Play Now to experience the rivalry of Djokovic and Rafael Nadal on Wimbledon’s Centre Court. The full game will be available in stores in North America on February 14 and elsewhere worldwide** by February 10.

EA SPORTS Grand Slam® Tennis 2 will include a host of gameplay features including:
  • All-New Total Racquet Control: Control every shot with the right analog stick, smashing forehands, backhands, overheads and volleys with precision, accuracy and power.
  • Become a Champion: Become a true Grand Slam® tournament champion by capturing all four major championships in succession – including Wimbledon (exclusive to the EA SPORTS Grand Slam® Tennis franchise).
  • PlayStation Move Support: The motion control experience gets you on your feet and puts a racquet right in the palm of your hands.
  • Legends of Now and Then: Play with or against more than 20 of the greatest players to ever grace the courts, including Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Bjorn Borg, Maria Sharapova, Serena and Venus Williams.
  • Professional, Realistic, Organic (P.R.O.). AI: The playing styles and behaviors of the sport’s greatest stars are captured right down to their signature swings and emotional reactions. Realistic tactics and strategies are your keys to success against each legend whether playing on hard court, clay or grass.
  • ESPN Grand Slam® Tournament Classics: Relive some of the most memorable moments in tennis. From Borg versus McEnroe, to Nadal versus Federer, play your way through history unlocking up to 25 amazing moments of Grand Slam® tournaments.

Game: Grand Slam Tennis 2Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 2 - View All
Grand Slam Tennis 2 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 ronaldo9 @ 01/10/12 10:50 PM
Really impressed by the demo. It plays a lot like TS4, in my opinion, and that's a good thing. I think it's a little easier to finish off points, esp at the net, and the same goes for the CPU. The swing is a little weird at first, but I started to get the hang of it. I really like that you can ace and get aced - thought that was missing from TS4 and I got pretty good at the game.

The graphics were really good although not as good in my opinion as the video trailer were (no surprise).

I looked at the game manual and it appears that there are 128-player tournaments, which hopefully speaks for the game's career mode depth, and there is roster sharing - but not sure how many slots exactly there are. I just hope there are a lot, and that the career mode doesn't mean you have to start from scratch as a poor amateur and move your way up (I hate that, and don't have enough time to power through the career).

Really encouraged by this. I might wait til the price goes down a little bit - I can't imagine it will take long considering tennis games don't sell well - but this looks like a great competitor to TS4.

# 22 at23steelers @ 01/10/12 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clivo1050
Surprisingly, I really liked this demo. The graphics are good, commentary seems solid and the controls are engaging. I have trouble placing the ball where I want it, though.

I can't remember the last time I bought a tennis game, but I might have to pick this up!
What about the players movement though? Is it me, or is it really fast? It's as if they don't plant their feet and have that "ice-skating" feel? Honestly, I was disappointed by the demo, but I agree if they fix a few things it can be an awesome game. Just didn't seem like the tennis game took much strategy compared to top spin 4. This is go to the net, which takes half a second and then hit an easy shot. I had no chance at the baseline. Not to mention, the AI player went to the net 8 times in 3 games!!! The average on the pro tour is 8 times a whole set, which on average is probably 9-10 games.

# 23 ronaldo9 @ 01/10/12 10:51 PM
I liked the commentary but they sure were going back and forth a lot - I'd really enjoy some minimal commentary for sure. Looks like this will only be turned on for specific matches.

# 24 Goblowsoup @ 01/10/12 10:54 PM
Ok, I said I'd play TS4 to compare earlier, and I've got to say that GS2 is on par with TS4. I think the control scheme is far simpler on GS2 though. Players move a lot freer on GS2 than on TS4. I think Top Spin is far more realistic and simulation than Grand Slam is going to be. However, I think both games will offer something for Tennis fans, and unfortunately GS2 is the only one I can get my Wimbeldon on in. So, it's got that going for it. Plus it looks like it's lineup of players is a lot bigger than Top Spins, either way I'm now looking forward to the full retail release.

# 25 rangerrick012 @ 01/10/12 10:54 PM
I have to say that the Total Racquet Control is a nice addition and a good way to play the game. It'll take some getting used to, but I like it.

My main problem is the strength of the AI at net. The AI comes in and becomes a brick wall, making passing nearly impossible. That alone has soured me on this game. I think there's a good foundation if they tone down the net play. Personally I like TS4 better, more sim while this is more of a casual game (though not as casual as Virtua Tennis).

# 26 ronaldo9 @ 01/10/12 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
What about the players movement though? Is it me, or is it really fast? It's as if they don't plant their feet and have that "ice-skating" feel? Honestly, I was disappointed by the demo, but I agree if they fix a few things it can be an awesome game. Just didn't seem like the tennis game took much strategy compared to top spin 3. This is go to the net, which takes half a second and then hit an easy shot. I had no chance at the baseline. Not to mention, the AI player went to the net 8 times in 3 games!!! The average on the pro tour is 8 times a whole set, which on average is probably 9-10 games.
Yeah, they did skate a bit, and I wasn't really feeling like I had control with the left stick, but I still enjoyed it. Also, it's not uncommon to get to the net that often on grass because it's a faster court. I'm hoping this is the cause for these problems (problems?) - no tennis game really feels good on grass, and that's probably an accurate reflection of the game.

# 27 rangerrick012 @ 01/10/12 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
What about the players movement though? Is it me, or is it really fast? It's as if they don't plant their feet and have that "ice-skating" feel? Honestly, I was disappointed by the demo, but I agree if they fix a few things it can be an awesome game. Just didn't seem like the tennis game took much strategy compared to top spin 3. This is go to the net, which takes half a second and then hit an easy shot. I had no chance at the baseline. Not to mention, the AI player went to the net 8 times in 3 games!!! The average on the pro tour is 8 times a whole set, which on average is probably 9-10 games.
Yeah, the movement is a bit too fast for my likes. Though some felt that TS4 was a bit too sluggish when it comes to movement, I feel this is a bit too fast. The players have no real weight to them.

Agreed on the net play as well.

# 28 at23steelers @ 01/10/12 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo9
Yeah, they did skate a bit, and I wasn't really feeling like I had control with the left stick, but I still enjoyed it. Also, it's not uncommon to get to the net that often on grass because it's a faster court. I'm hoping this is the cause for these problems (problems?) - no tennis game really feels good on grass, and that's probably an accurate reflection of the game.
I agree with all of this. Have to remind myself that it's just a demo. Has potential for sure. In what ways do you think it plays like top spin 4? I like in top spin 4 that where your aiming is crucial, and that it plays slower, so that you can create a game plan and execute it. I wish there was more unforced errors in all tennis games, although last patch for top spin solved the issue somewhat. Maybe with practice this will get better, but this seems like a move close to the ball, swing, the ball goes randomly back and it's back and forth with no strategy really involved. IMO, this game is closer to virtua tennis than it is to top spin.

# 29 ronaldo9 @ 01/11/12 12:01 AM
Sure seems that it's more like Virtua Tennis than Top Spin, although I've only played the demo for VT. It plays really fast, and it felt to me like points ended more quickly - it was easier to kill off a volley or slam, which I was kind of happy about. On TS4, I felt like I could get everything if my guy was fast enough, and most points were grinding it out and I could never hit the acute angle or lines that I was trying for.

Also, Djokovic hasn't missed a first serve in 3 matches I've played him in, which is worrying.

# 30 Araxen @ 01/11/12 12:14 AM
Don't care for the controls at all. I feel like I have no control over point construction and to which side I hit the ball too. It just doesn't click for me sadly.

# 31 Thrash13 @ 01/11/12 12:20 AM
I haven't played many tennis games in recent memory, but I really enjoyed the demo. I can't go into the detail that some of you can because I haven't played the others, but this was just fun in my opinion. I can't wait to see how the final version compares to the demo, and I can't wait to have the full roster and courts at my disposal. I think I might end up getting this game at release!

# 32 Methlab @ 01/11/12 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araxen
Don't care for the controls at all. I feel like I have no control over point construction and to which side I hit the ball too. It just doesn't click for me sadly.
Use the face buttons. Much better than the sticks.

# 33 bonannogiovanni @ 01/11/12 05:09 AM
Gameplay-wise I'm totally disappointed by the demo, it plays and animates like an arcade game, I can't compare it with TS4 because it's not a sim.

# 34 Hjkflannel @ 01/11/12 05:25 AM
The thing i found dissapointing is the movement, it felt very scripted and auto locked on. Sometimes it feels like you are merely suggesting where your player should run before you get sucked into an animation. I like the idea of racquet on the right stick and movement on the left but hopefully there might be a match speed slider. I also found the ball hard to locate when coming at you, its rather small on the screen. Commentary is a revelation... very interesting game, could be a great alternative to whats out there already.

# 35 TreyIM2 @ 01/11/12 06:48 AM
Played the PS3 demo yesterday and I really like the feel of it. Great graphics but I didn't like what felt like cutscenes instead of real time camera cuts. In this day and age, ALL sports games should have real time cam cuts.

Now, as a former fan of VT who felt like VT never made the current gen leap it should have, and a person who only played the TS4 demo where it felt like the players just hovered above the courts and glided and skated everywhere, I feel I'm connected to the ground and game more so in the GS2 demo.

I like this and will be copping this game.

# 36 Jasong7777 @ 01/11/12 07:52 AM
I have never bought a tennis game, but I will be buying this one. Loved the demo.

# 37 The Bimmer @ 01/11/12 09:27 AM
i totally enjoyed the demo. I will agree that the movement of the players are questionable, but it is a demo right? This is not the complete product right?

I will admit the game may have an arcade feel, but the presentation, stat overlays, commentary gives the game more of a fun factor to me. I can accept 90% simulation if the presentation variables are good.

# 38 ronaldo9 @ 01/11/12 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bimmer
i totally enjoyed the demo. I will agree that the movement of the players are questionable, but it is a demo right? This is not the complete product right?

I will admit the game may have an arcade feel, but the presentation, stat overlays, commentary gives the game more of a fun factor to me. I can accept 90% simulation if the presentation variables are good.
I really agree with what you say. I enjoy the espn presentation and I have high hopes for the tournaments - I believe not all Wimbledon matches are played on center court and that they have more courts. I think this game will play quicker than TS4, which was time-consuming. Hopefully GS2 has an in-game save for us because I love 5-set matches in GS's, but rarely have time to play them.

# 39 The Bimmer @ 01/11/12 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo9
I really agree with what you say. I enjoy the espn presentation and I have high hopes for the tournaments - I believe not all Wimbledon matches are played on center court and that they have more courts. I think this game will play quicker than TS4, which was time-consuming. Hopefully GS2 has an in-game save for us because I love 5-set matches in GS's, but rarely have time to play them.
The more I have played the demo, the more I like it.

A. The commentary is great, there are enough things being said and it is mixed up pretty well. I would like though to hear McEnroe make comments about each player though. Maybe these lines are in the final game.

b. Unforced errors, I see alot of them. At least 2-4 from the Cpu and 1-2 by me in each match. If the Cpu has 3 every 3 games thats 6 a set and on course for 30 in a 5 set match. I can live with that.

c. I have not won a game on the Pro level, got the games to deuce, but thats about it. Game seems tough for me which I like, but then again my reactions are not like they used to be.

# 40 The Bimmer @ 01/11/12 12:19 PM
Player Statistics Centre Court - Gentlemen's Singles - Finals
Rafael Nadal ESP (1) 4 1 6 3
Match Completed

Novak Djokovic SRB (2) 6 6 1 6
Match Statistics Serve Statistics

Match Summary

Nadal (ESP) Djokovic (SRB)

Aces 5 7

Double Faults 1 1

Unforced Errors 15 12

Winners 21 27

Net Approaches 6 of 9 = 67 % 19 of 26 = 73 %

Fastest Serve Speed 126 MPH 126 MPH

Average 1st Serve Speed 118 MPH 117 MPH

Average 2nd Serve Speed 89 MPH 93 MPH

I figured since the alot of talk was about net approaches why not look at the stats. 33 total games were played and Nadal approached only 9 times and Djokovic 26 in the Final. I didnt watch the whole match, but is this a result of Djokovic not allowing Nadal to get to the net?

I think the P.R.O. logic of the A.I does not recognize the player, but responds to the shots it is making, i.e. if it keeps hitting deep shots on you and is got you running all over the place it will charge the net. I have noticed that I can keep the Cpu off of the net alot of times, but then I make a few bad shots off balance or not deep enough and the CPU takes advantage and gets me running around for a few rallies then charges the net.

The unforced errors are done well in the demo imo.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.