Home
Grand Slam Tennis 2 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

The EA SPORTS™ Grand Slam® Tennis 2 demo is available today on Xbox LIVE® and the PlayStation® Network. Start out playing as the world’s number one ranked player*, Novak Djokovic on the Practice Court to develop your shots using Total Racquet Control, and progress to Play Now to experience the rivalry of Djokovic and Rafael Nadal on Wimbledon’s Centre Court. The full game will be available in stores in North America on February 14 and elsewhere worldwide** by February 10.

EA SPORTS Grand Slam® Tennis 2 will include a host of gameplay features including:
  • All-New Total Racquet Control: Control every shot with the right analog stick, smashing forehands, backhands, overheads and volleys with precision, accuracy and power.
  • Become a Champion: Become a true Grand Slam® tournament champion by capturing all four major championships in succession – including Wimbledon (exclusive to the EA SPORTS Grand Slam® Tennis franchise).
  • PlayStation Move Support: The motion control experience gets you on your feet and puts a racquet right in the palm of your hands.
  • Legends of Now and Then: Play with or against more than 20 of the greatest players to ever grace the courts, including Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Bjorn Borg, Maria Sharapova, Serena and Venus Williams.
  • Professional, Realistic, Organic (P.R.O.). AI: The playing styles and behaviors of the sport’s greatest stars are captured right down to their signature swings and emotional reactions. Realistic tactics and strategies are your keys to success against each legend whether playing on hard court, clay or grass.
  • ESPN Grand Slam® Tournament Classics: Relive some of the most memorable moments in tennis. From Borg versus McEnroe, to Nadal versus Federer, play your way through history unlocking up to 25 amazing moments of Grand Slam® tournaments.

Game: Grand Slam Tennis 2Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 2 - View All
Grand Slam Tennis 2 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 ps3veron @ 01/11/12 12:30 PM
I absolutely love it!

Like someone said the more you play it the better it gets.

Its not crazy Arcade fast like the VT series and its not as slow as Top Spin. I think the pace is perfect and its a smart move as it will appeal to the masses.

Unforced errors are a lot more common than the TS and the presentation is perfect.

I am leaning towards getting this, it really is a lot of fun!

# 42 Stormyhog @ 01/11/12 01:12 PM
I really enjoyed the demo as well and like the blend of sim and arcade. I don't want it completely sim as that can suck the fun factor out of it and it is a game after all. The presentation is well done and the commentary added to the tv style. Sure movements of the players are a bit exaggerated but I had fun with it and look forward to the final product.

# 43 nolesfan69 @ 01/11/12 01:36 PM
No lie!! This has to be one of the best sports games that I have ever played. Outside of NBA 2k11 and Fifa 12 this game comes a close third. I love the feel of the total racquet control. And this game is very challenging even of pro. I mean the AI will adapt to you and find a way to get the upper hand.

I actually had the demo for over 2 weeks because it was in the marketplace. Then it was removed, so I got lucky!! I also love the commentary with Pat Cash and Johnny Mac. And having a chance to play Wimbledon and a 10 year career plus playing online tourneys. Now I can just hope to play 128 player tourneys.

# 44 Agentholm @ 01/11/12 02:25 PM
Presentation, graphics, sound and commentary are great... So much better than Tops Spin 4

I´m very disappointed with the gameplay though. It´s way too fast and too arcady, and the AI goes to the net way to often.....

I wish I could blend the graphics, sound etc with the gameplay-style of Top Spin 4. Then It would bee the perfect tennisgame. Anyone knows how to do that? Please?

I´m not sure if I will buy the final product. I´m really not convinced yet.

# 45 ronaldo9 @ 01/11/12 02:47 PM
I'm glad to hear you guys are getting unforced errors. Not all tennis points end with winners and previous games seem to have a difficult time reflecting that when it comes to UEs

# 46 tanner75 @ 01/11/12 04:48 PM
The only unforced errors i've seen are balls hit into the net, not seen one single shot go out, even at full power and aiming it out which is a bit worrying.

Hope that the ball boys actually move in the retail version instead of standing/sitting there like statues.

Really like everything else though. Nice commentary, some player specific lines would be nice. Would be great if in the espn classic games if mac and cash talked about the players like they do in nba2k12 legends! Imagine Mac talking about himself in Borg vs McEnroe!

# 47 ripper9100 @ 01/11/12 06:11 PM
I was really looking forward to this game but this game is no good. This game doesn't even feel like tennis. My biggest issues are:
  • AI attacks the net way too much. These players rarely do so.
  • Slice doesn't behave like a slice and animation for it is completely wrong.
  • Nadal and Djokovic don't hit one handed backhands unless they slice.
  • Ridiculously fast returns no matter how well you serve.
  • You're always able to pull off good hard shots even while on the run
  • AI is very predictable it never hits behind you.

Even if it is going for an arcade feel these issues are too big for me to overlook as it severely hampers tennis strategies and incorrectly represents the sport.

# 48 wrigleyville33 @ 01/11/12 06:27 PM
I liked this game quite a bit... then again I'm not really a tennis player which is why. I may try to grab this when the price goes down.

# 49 toine2983 @ 01/11/12 07:56 PM
Finally got a chance to play the demo and I really enjoyed it.

TRC is a nice addition but it felt restrictive at times in terms of where I wanted to place my shots. Switched to the face buttons and felt more comfortable.

The game feels a bit faster compared to TS4 but other than that it plays similar.

I'm no tennis aficiando by any means, but I loved TS4 so I will probably pick this up eventually.

# 50 The Bimmer @ 01/11/12 09:17 PM
I am convinced after playing this demo for about 2 hours that it will be a purchase for me. I can definitely say for sure there are tons of unforced errors in this game.

I just finished a match and finally won against Nadal (4-2) on Pro and there were 13 unforced errors total. 8 by Nadal and 5 for me. Most were wide errors and a some into the net. There are 2 kinds of errors that I am not seeing though.

1. No service faults by the CPU
2. Errors that go long, I think I have seen 2 so far.

Even the commentary remarked about the errors.

If they can tighten the movement a notch this will be a great game imo.

# 51 at23steelers @ 01/12/12 12:25 AM
How do you aim with joystick? Game is significantly easier with the buttons!

# 52 The Bimmer @ 01/12/12 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
How do you aim with joystick? Game is significantly easier with the buttons!
I use the buttons most of the time. There is one thing similar to TS4 that I like is loading up the shot (holding down button for power). At first I was trying to get full power on everyshot, but if you mix up the speed of the shots you can keep the Cpu off of the net.

I will agree they still charge the net more then I would like, but maybe it is because of the grass surface? Maybe the P.R.O logic stratagey is set for the Cpu at Wimbedon to charge the net as soon as there is an opening? I know my goal is to get to the net ASAP.

If the final game has the Cpu throw in some first service faults and maybe a double fault here and there and add a little more unforced errors that go long, this game will get some serious recreation time from me.

# 53 ronaldo9 @ 01/13/12 11:11 AM
Amazon is offering a $10 credit if you pre-order the game, if anybody is interested

# 54 Mos1ted @ 01/15/12 09:03 AM
I haven't bought a tennis game at all this console generation, and I'm getting my butt kicked in the demo ... but I'm loving it! I've been waiting for a game to come out to convince me to pick up a PS Move, and if the Move controls translate as well as the Dual Shock does, this may just be the game to get for me!

EDIT: I went and downloaded the Top Spin 4 demo, and I like the gameplay in that title more. Like others have stated, in GST 2, it seems as if the players skate around the court. It reminded me of NBA 2K12, an aspect I hate the most about that particular game. I definitely want to get a tennis game for a change of place, but at this point, I'm leaning more towards TS4.

# 55 Only1LT @ 01/16/12 05:05 PM
After trying out the demo, I am very pleased with what I've seen so far, and will most likely be buying it on day one. It isn't all rosy, and there are a couple of issues for sure, but I am really enjoying the game.

The speed is a tad bit too fast with respect to player movement, and the locomotion needs more momentum and realism added, but it's EA so this isn't all that surprising. With that though, the animations are still quite good, the player models are very nice looking, ditto player faces, and the gameplay with the Right stick is fun, intuitive, and fairly well done. With some more tweaking it could be really special.

As far as the stick goes, there needs to be more variations in ball placement and more penalties for really going for the lines. I feel sometimes like there is only about 3 different angles that I can hit the ball, even though there should be multiple angles within about a 170 degree or so window. I also feel like it's too hard to hit a shot that doesn't end up on the court. Like TS4, it has the timing mechanic, so I understand that if you hit it with good timing that the shot has a better chance of being good, but when that isn't coupled with more shot angles to add that risk reward, it becomes more arcadey after you've gotten the timing down. The timing isn't as unforgiving as TS4 either, which is both a good and bad thing.

The AI is also good without being cheap. The AI seems to make smart decisions based on solid Tennis, and honest hedging as opposed to reading my mind. The one complaint with the AI I have is that i is a little too perfect. Playing even on Amateur difficulty, the AI had almost no unforced errors (which plays into my previous point about how hard it is to hit the ball out for either AI or human) and I have yet to see the AI not get a serve in, in ANY game. And I've played many games of the demo so far and the AI's first serve % is ALWAYS 100%. That needs to be fixed in a major way.

The commentary is a very welcomed addition as well. Although there wasn't a lot of it in terms of volume of lines (I'm hoping that was due to it being a demo and a lot of it being left on the cutting room floor in favor of a smaller download) what was there, seemed very well done. The dialogue flowed well and was fairly conversational (although there were a few times where Mac wouldn't chime in for long stretches, but again, could be because it was just missing lines in the demo) and there were even a few lines that Mac delivered where he stumbled over his words a little bit which added to the feeling that this was a real broadcast and not a recording done until it was perfect. Player names were strangely absent from commentary as they just kept saying the player instead of calling them by name, but again, etc, etc...

Overall I found the game to be a pretty good mix of fun and simulation. Like I said before though, with some tweaking to try and add more sim to the mix, it could be quite special indeed.

# 56 georgiafan @ 01/19/12 08:59 AM
I played the demo and enjoyed it i've been looking for a good tennis game on ps3 after I didnt like top spin 3 bc it was dang hard to just hit the ball. This is a good game to play with friends when they come over. I'm anxious to see how much the career will get me. Its the not kind of game I'm gonna spend 60$ on, so i'll wait till it drops to about 30 and get as part of a buy 2 used and get 1 free.

# 57 Kramer5150 @ 01/19/12 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan
Its the not kind of game I'm gonna spend 60$ on, so i'll wait till it drops to about 30 and get as part of a buy 2 used and get 1 free.
Not sure if it matters or not,but according to Gamestops website,the game will retail for 49.99.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=1...+Slam+Tennis+2

# 58 georgiafan @ 01/20/12 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
Not sure if it matters or not,but according to Gamestops website,the game will retail for 49.99.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=1...+Slam+Tennis+2

That's good that will it should start selling used at 45$ right off the bat

# 59 CMH @ 01/23/12 10:38 PM
I like it, but I have no idea how to beat anyone that goes to net.

It seems that once they go to net, I can't hit a shot past them and if I lob, they always get to it and just slam the ball past me.

Is there something I'm supposed to be doing while lobbing? It just floats in the air, and I can't for the life of me get the ball to slice around the line (I know this is a hard shot in real life, but I'd like to at least try to attempt it) so that it can pass by the volleyer.

# 60 tanner75 @ 01/24/12 02:57 AM
I have found a way to beat the cpu when he plays at the net. All you have to do is hit top spin shots and he will hit the ball wide. This is a big flaw as i could win 3 0 on superstar using this method. Hopefully this will be fixed in final version.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.