News Post

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Blzer @ 01/19/12 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I don't know how the motion capture is done generally, but I presume that mocap is done via shadow swing/pitching, without them actually hitting/throwing a ball. If that's the case, unless the player doing mocap is really putting effort into imitating his own swing, there will be some difference.

Many pitching motions don't have realistic arm actions (i.e., many of them don't have their elbow leading the way, like the Doc Gooden pic I have as my avatar) because of this. I'm just guessing...
Could be, because in the "Vita B-Roll" video that was released, I noticed Gonzalez didn't really have any sort of loading stride that he has in real life (like the one where his shoulder turns in a bit and his back contorts as his weight shifts back, though he keeps a level head). I'm guessing he probably has his specific load/stride in the game, so maybe just that one video didn't show it off. I'm sure if you use analog hitting, you'll be able to see it for yourself since you control your own load. If not, maybe it's just not in the game.

# 22 Tabata4Prez @ 01/19/12 10:52 PM
Quote:
I don't know how the motion capture is done generally, but I presume that mocap is done via shadow swing/pitching, without them actually hitting/throwing a ball. If that's the case, unless the player doing mocap is really putting effort into imitating his own swing, there will be some difference.

Many pitching motions don't have realistic arm actions (i.e., many of them don't have their elbow leading the way, like the Doc Gooden pic I have as my avatar) because of this. I'm just guessing...
That's what it looks like. I don't even think that they'd have to go through the trouble of mocapping follow throughs to make them look better, though. Simply adding 5 to 10 follow through animations based on the swings we see in reality would be great. Most players in the MLB use a rotational swing, which puts an emphasis on rotation of the hips to generate power. The finished product of this type of swing is the player facing the pitcher, leaned back a bit with a stiff front leg. The follow through conveyed in The Show right now reflects more of a weight transfer approach which is used mostly by contact hitters or guys looking for line drives up the middle. A mixture of both would be great.

Anyway, I just realized how much I'm rambling here, haha. So I'll wrap this up.

# 23 nomo17k @ 01/19/12 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabata4Prez
That's what it looks like. I don't even think that they'd have to go through the trouble of mocapping follow throughs to make them look better, though. Simply adding 5 to 10 follow through animations based on the swings we see in reality would be great. Most players in the MLB use a rotational swing, which puts an emphasis on rotation of the hips to generate power. The finished product of this type of swing is the player facing the pitcher, leaned back a bit with a stiff front leg. The follow through conveyed in The Show right now reflects more of a weight transfer approach which is used mostly by contact hitters or guys looking for line drives up the middle. A mixture of both would be great.

Anyway, I just realized how much I'm rambling here, haha. So I'll wrap this up.
Yeah I agree. Sometimes looking at those follow throughs, I feel as if I'm watching a game in the Japanese league, haha... most hitters there take a weight transfer approach.

Good thing is that we can expect these things to improve in future....

# 24 Tabata4Prez @ 01/19/12 11:00 PM
Quote:
Yeah I agree. Sometimes looking at those follow throughs, I feel as if I'm watching a game in the Japanese league, haha... most hitters there take a weight transfer approach.

Good thing is that we can expect these things to improve in future....
Exactly, man. The Show never dissapoints. Looking at the game now, it seems like very few areas are going to need major improvement in the future. As I said before, near perfect.

# 25 dgrfan88 @ 01/19/12 11:05 PM
Quote:
I don't doubt that Gonzalez did come in to do his swing for the game. As I stated before, the developers of The Show go to great lengths to give us an amazing game every year. All that I'm saying is that follow throughs need work - not just Gonzalez's. Compare these pictures to the screenshot. Stiff front leg, legs not too spread out, top arm under the chin.
The upper body is leaning too far forward as well. Since the players don't shift their weight to the front foot, it doesnt allow them to "clear" their hips, stay behind the ball and throw their hands at the ball. "the Show" hitter has a leg lift and hip rotation, which is fine in some cases, but, they get too far over center of gravity, stay forward and just "roll" over. I don't think they'll ever fix this. Too far into this generation to change now.

# 26 Tabata4Prez @ 01/19/12 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrfan88
The upper body is leaning too far forward as well. Since the players don't shift their weight to the front foot, it doesnt allow them to "clear" their hips, stay behind the ball and throw their hands at the ball. "the Show" hitter has a leg lift and hip rotation, which is fine in some cases, but, they get too far over center of gravity, stay forward and just "roll" over. I don't think they'll ever fix this. Too far into this generation to change now.
You could be right. However, the developers really do go out of their way to make this a top notch baseball game. Ball physics, a very essential part of the game, for example. Wrote an entirely new code for it. So I'm definitely hoping now that they have things like that out of the way the swings can recieve more attention.

# 27 Blzer @ 01/19/12 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrfan88
I agree so much, but they explained why it's not as easy as just mo-capping a new swing, and what they said makes sense. It's too bad, because seeing some pure A-Gon swings would look nice in a game that does so much well.

# 28 davis420 @ 01/19/12 11:21 PM
I know this doesn't have any thing to do with A-Gon but I see a very good crowd. It looks like they added more fans with different features.

# 29 Tabata4Prez @ 01/19/12 11:32 PM
The crowd does look great. One thing I'm really hoping to see is when a player hits a shot that looks like it's going out, the entire stadium will begin to rise to their feet. I remeber that being in MVP 2005. I loved going back and watching the replays. As the ball approached the fence, more and more fans would rise to their feet. Felt so real and looked awesome.

# 30 Tabata4Prez @ 01/19/12 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_F_Z
MVP 2005 ? The crowd was 2 dimensional. Oh, you mean the little bit of 3D crowd behind the plate and down the lines ? I think I remember that too. I still like that game.
Haha, yeah. The cardboard cutout fans. Regardless of how terrible they look to us now, it was still cool to see them rise up every time a ball approached the outfield wall.

# 31 statum71 @ 01/20/12 01:21 AM
Honestly....its hard to be impressed when I already felt the graphics were top notch. The Show is still brilliant.

# 32 LastActionHero @ 01/20/12 02:07 AM
Please have Ichiro's follow through.
I mean he has the most extreme ever, he's practically already on 1st base when he makes contact.

# 33 Eman5805 @ 01/20/12 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero
I mean he has the most extreme ever, he's practically already on 1st base when he makes contact.
That's what I'm waiting for too. It's long past due for his swing to get overhauled.

# 34 Tabata4Prez @ 01/20/12 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero
Yeah, I've expected to see this for a while. Not meaning to worship MVP too much here but they had that as well and it looked perfect. I'm surprised that neither of the "next gen" baseball series have had his follow through yet, especially with how detailed of a game The Show is.

# 35 m1ke_nyc @ 01/20/12 12:34 PM
OMG I need a new PS3 so bad, even though im a Yankee fan that screen is pure awesomeness.

# 36 nomo17k @ 01/20/12 01:02 PM
Quote:
Yeah, I've expected to see this for a while. Not meaning to worship MVP too much here but they had that as well and it looked perfect. I'm surprised that neither of the "next gen" baseball series have had his follow through yet, especially with how detailed of a game The Show is.
Having a "signature" swing/follow though is one thing, but I think what the Show lacks right now is a type suitable to represent slap hitters in general. Those left-handed hitters who start running right after making contact. That may take an introduction of a new swing mechanism....

# 37 Tabata4Prez @ 01/20/12 01:10 PM
Quote:
Having a "signature" swing/follow though is one thing, but I think what the Show lacks right now is a type suitable to represent slap hitters in general. Those left-handed hitters who start running right after making contact. That may take an introduction of a new swing mechanism....
True. I wonder if that fact that less than a handfull of players in the league slap hit would be why they wouldn't even bother with it. Regardless, I'm sure the developers are aware of the problem. I doubt we're going to see anything done about it this year. Let's hope to see work on the swings in the near future thought.

# 38 DodgerFanatic2K3 @ 01/20/12 02:26 PM
Quote:
Ya when Rafael Furcal was a Dodger it was impossible to find a left handed batting stance that fit his slap hitting style. I sent video after video to them to show what his slap-hitting stance looked like and they were never able to duplicate it and now I know why

One reason I'm glad he's not on our team anymore

# 39 metsfan4life1 @ 01/21/12 01:45 PM
Another thing MVP had done was alot Of the players faces. I mean even in only his first debut of a video game , David Wright looked pretty close to his real self. We're talking on older consoles ...

# 40 sydrogerdavid @ 01/21/12 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan4life1
Another thing MVP had done was alot Of the players faces. I mean even in only his first debut of a video game , David Wright looked pretty close to his real self. We're talking on older consoles ...
Then over half of everybody else had a generic face. Yadier Molina, Adrian Gonzalez, Kiko Calero...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.