Home
News Post

PSNation has posted their MLB 12 The Show hands-on preview, as they detail the PS Move and PS Vita.

Quote:
Honestly, the controls work very well, and the fact that this series has always been about “choice” this is a perfect opportunity to play The Show with your kids. While you may have your controls set to Pulse Pitching, Analog Zone Hitting, and Classic Fielding, the simplified Move controls can be set for the other player. The Move controls are quite intuitive and are very easy to pick-up and play with. There’s a bit of a hesitation in the hitting at first, but once you get used to the timing, it works very well.

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 rodperezto @ 01/24/12 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Some games are better at handling it than others, though...

Sports Champions is fun because it really is 1-1, and for me it really shows when playing the table tennis game. You can swing the paddle, rotate your wrist around to change the paddle angle and see all that movement in real time, and it's really immersive for such a simple game. Others like Tiger Woods for example definitely have some lag on the swing, because you'll be in your follow through before you hear the club strike the ball. In TW's case the 1-1 really isn't essential for game play (personally I don't even look up at the screen until after my swing), so it can kinda get away with it. It would be pretty important for a baseball game to have a quick response since you WILL be looking at the screen as the pitch comes in.

It all depends on how well the Move is implemented.
Fair enough. However, my point stands: the lag we see on the video will most likely not be the same when we're playing it.

# 22 pdawg17 @ 01/24/12 06:27 PM
If the Move controller can detect high, low, inside and outside swings I would use it for batting quite a bit...if not, I'll be using the dualshock 100% of the time...I've always wanted sports games to allow for motion controls but they need to be very realistic to be worthwhile to me...

# 23 Bahnzo @ 01/24/12 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17
If the Move controller can detect high, low, inside and outside swings I would use it for batting quite a bit...if not, I'll be using the dualshock 100% of the time...I've always wanted sports games to allow for motion controls but they need to be very realistic to be worthwhile to me...
Same here. If the Move can only detect *when* I swing but not *where* I swing, then I don't see the point in that at all. It makes all the difference and will decide whether I buy one or not for use with the game.

# 24 Russell_SCEA @ 01/24/12 06:41 PM
The lag you see is because there is a camera recording a person playing the move, recording a tv signal. There will always be lag in move demo's like this. We are using 1 to 1 tracking just like Sports Champions and other games.

# 25 bcruise @ 01/24/12 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
The lag you see is because there is a camera recording a person playing the move, recording a tv signal. There will always be lag in move demo's like this. We are using 1 to 1 tracking just like Sports Champions and other games.
Great news.

BTW, for those who don't own a Move or Sports Champions....take a wild guess at which development studio created that game.

Let's just say the SCEA SD guys are pretty familiar with getting the most out of the Move by now.

# 26 nomo17k @ 01/24/12 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Great news.

BTW, for those who don't own a Move or Sports Champions....take a wild guess at which development studio created that game.

Let's just say the SCEA SD guys are pretty familiar with getting the most out of the Move by now.
Yeah I thought there's no way they aren't sharing the knowledge internally, seeing how good Sports Champions were done...

Seeing the movie on Move demo below made me feel better about lag... When they show it side by side, they remove the apparent lag by editing I presume, but when the guy actually plays in front of the TV, you see very noticeable lag. I know by experience Table Tennis/Gladiator Duel hardly involves any lag, so it's probably true about recording TV signals...

# 27 Bobhead @ 01/24/12 07:46 PM
I've never used a move before, is it possible to use both a Move controller and a regular PS3 controller during the same game (without unplugging from the ports and stuff)? Like for example, if I wanted to use the Move to swing, but wanted to use Analog Pitching and button fielding, would that be doable? And how?

Also Russell looks like he'd rather be playing with the PS Move than sitting at that table (or something like that )

# 28 PSNation @ 01/25/12 03:48 PM
FYI I purposely showed Eddy swinging and missing ;-)

Http://psnation.org

# 29 Russell_SCEA @ 01/25/12 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSNation
FYI I purposely showed Eddy swinging and missing ;-)

Http://psnation.org

Where's part two?

# 30 rudyjuly2 @ 01/27/12 05:57 AM
Do you need the navigation controller or do you use the Dual Shock at all with the Move controls?

# 31 mrclutch @ 01/27/12 06:20 AM
Sounds like it will be good. Of course the Show always is. I kind of wonder with all the Move talk if there will be much improvement for those of us that don't use the Move? Time will tell.

# 32 jpup @ 01/27/12 09:54 AM
Pretty sure that it was said that the Move batting is timing only. I could be wrong, but I believe Pared mentioned it.

# 33 Pared @ 01/27/12 11:52 AM
jpup is correct. I triple checked this.

But as I mentioned before, you would be hard-pressed to tell. Naturally you're going to swing at the ball anyway and the game does an incredible job of giving the correct hits/misses.

# 34 pdawg17 @ 01/27/12 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
jpup is correct. I triple checked this.

But as I mentioned before, you would be hard-pressed to tell. Naturally you're going to swing at the ball anyway and the game does an incredible job of giving the correct hits/misses.
I will definitely check out the move controls...don't know how well it would work but I personally would love for it to track high/low and inside/outside swings in the future...

# 35 Skyboxer @ 01/27/12 05:02 PM
Quote:
I will definitely check out the move controls...don't know how well it would work but I personally would love for it to track high/low and inside/outside swings in the future...
Same here. With timing only I'll just prefer to use the DS.

# 36 SoxFan01605 @ 01/27/12 07:34 PM
I missed this video before, but I've gotta say that, even though I'm not a big fan of motion controls, they make it look and sound very intuitive. I've been contemplating getting the Move for my son since he's starting to like the "cooler" (his words) games on the PS3 but loves his Wii controls. If I do, I'll definitely give these a look, despite my fairly rigid preference of a traditional controller.

# 37 nomo17k @ 01/27/12 07:40 PM
Quote:
If what happened with Pure Analog batting is any indication, we may have a chance on having the "Zone Move" batting mode in future!!

I hope so!!

# 38 metal134 @ 01/27/12 09:32 PM
I preface this by saying that I neither own nor have tried Move and have no idea what it is capable of, but I suspect that impelmenting a level of move and read that would allow for zone batting would probably be very very very difficult to get working correctly.

# 39 rudyjuly2 @ 01/28/12 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
I missed this video before, but I've gotta say that, even though I'm not a big fan of motion controls, they make it look and sound very intuitive. I've been contemplating getting the Move for my son since he's starting to like the "cooler" (his words) games on the PS3 but loves his Wii controls. If I do, I'll definitely give these a look, despite my fairly rigid preference of a traditional controller.
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm not a fan of motion controls (and Russell feels the same way by his comments at the end of that video + yawn prior to it lol) but this intrigues me and my kids would have fun with it too. I wonder if they will offer a Move bundle with MLB The Show 12 at release. They did it with Tiger Woods last year and with full Move support for the Show this year it would be nice to get a deal on it.

I still don't completely understand how pitching works. Like if you have to use a different motion for breaking balls or if your release point indicates the location of the pitch. It sounds as though you still pick your pitch and location prior to the pitch and then it's just about timing the trigger release right to hit your spot with your own arm speed triggering max speed.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.