Home
News Post

These videos are also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Playstation.Blog has posted another MLB 12 The Show blog. This one features Zone Analog Batting and Pulse Pitching.

Quote:
Zone Analog Batting is a by-product of our original Zone Batting hit mechanic and our most recent Analog Batting feature so we wanted to give users the best of both. From talking to our community, we found that some of our Zone Batting players weren’t using the Analog Batting because they couldn’t choose the zone they wanted to swing at. So, we decided to mix the two features and came up with ZAB (Zone Analog Batting). We went through many prototypes before we ended up with what we think may be the most realistic way to bat, ever, in a baseball game.

Pulse Pitching spawned from our first ever pitching style for The Show, Classic Pitching. We like to keep the “classic” features around since we know there’s still a lot of people out there who use them. Pulse pitching is a more interactive and challenging way to pitch, combining both user skill and pitcher attributes that creates a unique way to deliver a pitch. There are five levels of Pulse Pitching, all the way from Rookie to Legend. The better pitchers will have a smaller pulse ring based on the command they have with that particular pitch. Alternatively, the worse command a pitcher has, the bigger the ring and the harder it is to hit your spots. It’s a really fun way to pitch, you may never go back to what you were using before!

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 WahooFan @ 02/03/12 05:16 PM
The spin on the ball coming out of the pitcher's hand is crazy! Going to be tough hitting this year (considering my skill level/lack of patience)!

On a personal note, LOVE the improvements to Jacobs (Progressive) Field- Batter's Eye bar area is now represented, along with the Heritage Park banner, what looks to be updated scoreboard and out-of-town scoreboard along with a generic "Go Tribe" crawl on the main scoreboard and other ribbon boards (seen in the Bautista trailer)... SO looking forward to playing as my Tribe this year in The Show! Thanks, SCEA!

# 22 Legend. @ 02/03/12 05:19 PM
Don't know if it's a big deal to anyone else, but I noticed in some parts of both videos that catchers have gloves on their catching hand. I don't think they've ever done that in The Show before.

Anyway, both videos looked awesome and can't wait to get this game!

# 23 SoxFan01605 @ 02/03/12 05:42 PM
I was thinking to myself that it's kind of ironic that all this time I've dreamed of Zone Analog Batting and now feel like it will be too much, as I never got comfortable with the Timing Only Analog option last year...lol. I'm thinking of changing my position on the demo (I was originally going to skip) in order to get some practice in with it. I've wanted the option for so long and it looks too good to not at least give it good try.

As for Pulse Pitching, I'm a pretty huge analog fan, but I'm greatly intrigued by this option.

Shaping up to be yet another great year.

# 24 nomo17k @ 02/03/12 05:44 PM
Don't know why people keep thinking that you MUST move PCI as they follow the pitch (that must be hard!!). Another legit way of using it is to move the PCI beforehand and wait for the pitch to come to the area. I think I'll try hitting that way first and see if I fare better than I do right now with Pure Analog.

# 25 sydrogerdavid @ 02/03/12 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
LOL, just giving you a hard time srd... because I could visualize you pausing the video at 0:07 and 1:11 to examine very closely.
It's because I did!

# 26 treyraq @ 02/03/12 06:45 PM
Also good to see the baserunner NOT patting his helmet rounding 2nd base after the longball.

# 27 Bobhead @ 02/03/12 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
I was thinking to myself that it's kind of ironic that all this time I've dreamed of Zone Analog Batting and now feel like it will be too much, as I never got comfortable with the Timing Only Analog option last year...lol
I'm not going to lie, I've been thinking the exact same thing. It's not going to stop me from trying though. If it's as good as it looks, it will definitely be my favorite mode, even if it means batting on Veteran or All Star difficulty (down from HoF Zone in 2011)

# 28 nemesis04 @ 02/03/12 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
One question for the CD guys, will the ball always end up inside the circle of the pulse or is there any chance it will leave that area? Are there any specific sliders for the new pitching mechanic (size and speed of the pulse)?
If the circle ends up on the larger side(less accurate) you can see the pitch wander outside the circle.

# 29 Doormat @ 02/03/12 07:51 PM
I know I will completely suck at analog hitting this year, can't wait to try out the pitching though

# 30 brett the jet favre @ 02/03/12 07:53 PM
Looks fantastic, but damn does the new hitting look hard hah.

# 31 SoxFan01605 @ 02/03/12 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I'm not going to lie, I've been thinking the exact same thing. It's not going to stop me from trying though. If it's as good as it looks, it will definitely be my favorite mode, even if it means batting on Veteran or All Star difficulty (down from HoF Zone in 2011)
I'm with you. I was on All Star Zone last year (I seem to be progressively going down in difficulty each year...lol) and will, without shame, bump down to Rookie if needs be. I'm going to give it a good shot.

Either way though, one of the best things about this series is how they keep their options in. So standard zone hitting will still be there for me if I fail miserably at the new mechanic.

# 32 bcruise @ 02/03/12 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWayneFTW
I know I will completely suck at analog hitting this year, can't wait to try out the pitching though
Just fyi, the analog - only system from last year appears to still be in the game. It showed up as "Pure Analog" in the video while the new system showed up as "Zone Plus Analog".

Great vids. Like that the stride timing shows up on-screen now along with the rest of the swing info.

# 33 nemesis04 @ 02/03/12 08:01 PM
ZAB is definitely a pat your head rub your stomach type of exercise. Some will be able to do it and most will not!

# 34 Doormat @ 02/03/12 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
"Zone Plus Analog".
Yeah sorry that's what I meant

# 35 Skyboxer @ 02/03/12 08:35 PM
I'll love the pulse pitching and will give Zone/analog bitting a try but more than likely will stick with zone only. We'll see ....

# 36 queensbomber @ 02/03/12 09:07 PM
Is it me or do pitching motions look much much more improved?!
They dont look all stiff, they look like nice fluid deliveries with great follow through, and the gloves closing also help it not look as stiff as it did.
Only a few more weeks!!!!! (or a month, depends on how u look at it)

# 37 nomo17k @ 02/03/12 09:27 PM
I'd be amazed if it was HUM who was playing while the movies were captured. I can imagine very best players moving PCI to the pitch location at will like that, but I honestly have seen only a couple who could do that online, not that I was always playing against top players...

I hit the cage the other day to try (button) zone hitting. It's actually more fun hitting that way and it feels good to generate solid hits even on pitches on the black. I've set my personal challenge for MLB12 to be able to hit with zone analog, PCI pre-fixed. Hope analog swing was adjusted to be a tiny bit quicker though...

It's gonna be fun.

# 38 Black59Razr @ 02/03/12 09:43 PM
1:40 shows that Miller Park batter's eye was not updated. It still has the green railing from back in 2010.

Removing that railing turned Miller Park from a neutral stadium to a hitter's stadium. There is not many solid black batter's eyes in the MLB, and Miller Park is one of them. Well, not in MLB12TheShow

I hope this video isn't from the final build. These types of things usually don't get patched.

# 39 sydrogerdavid @ 02/03/12 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black59Razr
1:40 shows that Miller Park batter's eye was not updated. It still has the green railing from back in 2010.

Removing that railing turned Miller Park from a neutral stadium to a hitter's stadium. There is not many solid black batter's eyes in the MLB, and Miller Park is one of them. Well, not in MLB12TheShow

I hope this video isn't from the final build. These types of things usually don't get patched.
Read the first page. These videos were made before CD.

# 40 benweird @ 02/03/12 09:51 PM
The pitchers arms move much more realistic. I want it now.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.