Home
News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

Nick Livingston, Designer of MLB 12 The Show, talks about Diamond Dynasty. Fast forward to roughly the 9:40 mark, to get to it.

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 bigdaddykraven @ 02/10/12 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Serious question and not meant to be critical, but why put years (according to Ramone) of effort into a separate mode to develop players, create teams, etc when many of us have been asking for this type of depth and integration into franchise mode?

It's not to say this mode won't be good on its own merit, but it seems it could hit more gamers and have more longevity as a group of features that could be used through various modes rather than a standalone mode. I guess I'm wondering what, in the view of SCEA, is the desired endgame for DD?
I have a feeling that this is just step one to introduce it...next year when they are overhauling Franchise mode I can see an expansion team mode (since the leagues will have 15 teams a piece it would make it easy to do schedule wise) or even just a create a team mode where we can do our own custom season/franchise.

In my mind this is just them dipping their toes into the water.

# 42 SoxFan01605 @ 02/10/12 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
It's probably because "new and improved franchise mode" doesn't sell as well as a "brand new custom made Diamond Dynasty." Besides this, there have been improvements made to franchise mode as stated by the dev day guys.
Yeah, I'd imagine "Brand New Create-a-Team" comes to about the same thing too though, in terms of attention grabbing, but I highly doubt SCEA's primary reasoning is simply bullet points for the back of the box. They plan very well (as evidenced by them taking a few years to think about this before implementing it), so I'm sure they have a long term goal with it...which is why I was curious as to what that might be (since Knight mentioned depth and shaping it in the future, etc that got me thinking about how the mode would shape up over the years).

As for franchise mode improvements, I'm aware and looking forward to them, though that's a separate topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddykraven
I have a feeling that this is just step one to introduce it...next year when they are overhauling Franchise mode I can see an expansion team mode (since the leagues will have 15 teams a piece it would make it easy to do schedule wise) or even just a create a team mode where we can do our own custom season/franchise.

In my mind this is just them dipping their toes into the water.
Well, I'd be careful with expectations of them overhauling franchise mode next year. I don't believe they've ever said that. I know Knight and others have intimated it will be a focus, but people seem to read too much into that stuff. Not getting on you or anything (so please don't take it that way )...just pointing that out as people sometimes get their hopes up based on promises never made (it happened this year, in fact).

You may be right on implementation of Create-a-Team next year (I hope for this as well and think it's a plausible "next step" of sorts). I see a lot of people guessing things like this, and it makes perfect sense.

I guess I'm wondering though, beyond what it can (and hopefully does) mean for other modes in the future, what the long term hope is for DD as its own mode. Like I said in my other response, Knight's comment got me thinking about it. It seems a lot of people are looking at DD as a means to an end when it seems (from comments by CD guys and devs) like it was designed to be more than that. I'm just curious to see how it will aim to hold attention on it's own long term. I'm also curious as to how the focus will work when split between 4 dedicated progressive modes of play vs the 3 we are used to (Online Leagues, Franchise/Season, RTTS).

I guess it will be easier to understand (and perhaps speculate) when we see the blog on it and/or try it for ourselves though.

# 43 Knight165 @ 02/10/12 01:47 PM
Quote:
Serious question and not meant to be critical, but why put years (according to Ramone) of effort into a separate mode to develop players, create teams, etc when many of us have been asking for this type of depth and integration into franchise mode?

It's not to say this mode won't be good on its own merit, but it seems it could hit more gamers and have more longevity as a group of features that could be used through various modes rather than a standalone mode. I guess I'm wondering what, in the view of SCEA, is the desired endgame for DD?
Like I said...they haven't actually been WORKING on it for years.....

I think what Ramone meant was...
Inception: Someone said..."you know what would be a great addition...XXXXXX XXXX ...XXX"
Things were discussed and ideas fleshed out with a lot of going back and forth with discussions for quite some time now.
I don't think any effort as far as DEVELOPING....writing this section of the game actually happened until this year.
I just think they have the opinion that developing this mode was important to further the brand....and the time was right.
Hopefully we see some crossover from this and custom online league into franchise mode.

M.K.
Knight165

# 44 Willis135 @ 02/10/12 01:48 PM
Knight or any of the community day guys,

Since you guys can't yet provide much info on this mode, I am just wondering if you think DD will be your go to mode, or will you still focus mainly on what ever mode you played most in the past. DD has really peaked my interest, but I'm struggling to think that my Tigers franchise addiction could take a back seat to DD.

In other words do you see yourself playing DD more than your preferred mode from the past?

# 45 Knight165 @ 02/10/12 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis135

Since you guys can't yet provide much info on this mode, I am just wondering if you think DD will be your go to mode, or will you still focus mainly on what ever mode you played most in the past. DD has really peaked my interest, but I'm struggling to think that my Tigers franchise addiction could take a back seat to DD.

In other words do you see yourself playing DD more than your preferred mode from the past?
IMO....this is a great little "getaway" from regular franchise....something you can do a little bit at a time in between playing a regular franchise game.
Not a total replacement(but it can be.....the amount of games you want to put into it is totally up to you)
I can see it being addicting to certain types of players though.

M.K.
Knight165

# 46 Willis135 @ 02/10/12 02:13 PM
Thanks Knight, kinda what I was thinking. Sounds like a fun mode, but I'll probably use it like I do Road to the Show, just a little break from my Franchise. I will for sure be playing around with it until O.S. full minors comes out. Thanks for your efforts.

# 47 bigdaddykraven @ 02/10/12 02:17 PM
Quote:
Well, I'd be careful with expectations of them overhauling franchise mode next year. I don't believe they've ever said that. I know Knight and others have intimated it will be a focus, but people seem to read too much into that stuff. Not getting on you or anything (so please don't take it that way )...just pointing that out as people sometimes get their hopes up based on promises never made (it happened this year, in fact).

You may be right on implementation of Create-a-Team next year (I hope for this as well and think it's a plausible "next step" of sorts). I see a lot of people guessing things like this, and it makes perfect sense.

I guess I'm wondering though, beyond what it can (and hopefully does) mean for other modes in the future, what the long term hope is for DD as its own mode. Like I said in my other response, Knight's comment got me thinking about it. It seems a lot of people are looking at DD as a means to an end when it seems (from comments by CD guys and devs) like it was designed to be more than that. I'm just curious to see how it will aim to hold attention on it's own long term. I'm also curious as to how the focus will work when split between 4 dedicated progressive modes of play vs the 3 we are used to (Online Leagues, Franchise/Season, RTTS).

I guess it will be easier to understand (and perhaps speculate) when we see the blog on it and/or try it for ourselves though.
I think its safe to say Franchise (and also RTTS since they share engines) will get its fair share of TLC next year. Maybe not a create mode but I believe a direct quote from Ramone was that the Vita version prevented them from doing Franchise overhaul/rewrite and Realistic/3D Grass this year. That in my mind means that they were discussing it and it is in their plans but due to the Vita, they can't do it.

The Vita version is built and will merely get "updated" in the same manner that the PS3 version is now (note I'm not saying the new games are mere updates but they use the same base code), so it would lead me to believe that next year would be the year of Franchise updates.

# 48 Russell_SCEA @ 02/10/12 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Like I said...they haven't actually been WORKING on it for years.....

I think what Ramone meant was...
Inception: Someone said..."you know what would be a great addition...XXXXXX XXXX ...XXX"
Things were discussed and ideas fleshed out with a lot of going back and forth with discussions for quite some time now.
I don't think any effort as far as DEVELOPING....writing this section of the game actually happened until this year.
I just think they have the opinion that developing this mode was important to further the brand....and the time was right.
Hopefully we see some crossover from this and custom online league into franchise mode.

M.K.
Knight165

No we have been working on this mode for about 4 cycles now. We wanted to release it last year, but it just wasn't ready. There was a ton of code already written for DD last year. The idea and concept just wasn't all there yet.

# 49 Legionnaire @ 02/10/12 02:37 PM
You know, I kind of wish they'd use a layer-design tool like this to allow you to design what the numbers look like on jerseys. Most people might just opt to go with pre-made number options, but I'm sure plenty of people are like me and would appreciate being able to handcraft the ten different digits to really customize the jerseys more fully.

Limited choices with number designs has always been one of the stifling things about create-a-team features in sports games. And it seems like such a minor thing (because everybody's more focused on logo and color choices), but it's one of those things that can really make a difference.

As it is now, when anyone shows me their custom team from some football game or something, there's always that part of the brain that goes, "Oh, I see you went with the Denver Broncos numbers." Or, "Ah, the Philadelphia Eagles numbers. Okay, okay."

In real life or in a game, whenever you see a uniform that has their own design for their jersey numbers, it always makes them kind of stand out. The Denver Broncos, the Milwaukee Brewers, the original Diamondbacks, the Hawaii football team (with unique shapes, but also those little triangular notches accenting a lot of the numbers).

I wonder if it'll ever be possible to let the gamer create those ten number designs (in addition to the various other logos) for created teams.

# 50 Russell_SCEA @ 02/10/12 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddykraven
I think its safe to say Franchise (and also RTTS since they share engines) will get its fair share of TLC next year. Maybe not a create mode but I believe a direct quote from Ramone was that the Vita version prevented them from doing Franchise overhaul/rewrite and Realistic/3D Grass this year. That in my mind means that they were discussing it and it is in their plans but due to the Vita, they can't do it.

The Vita version is built and will merely get "updated" in the same manner that the PS3 version is now (note I'm not saying the new games are mere updates but they use the same base code), so it would lead me to believe that next year would be the year of Franchise updates.

No one should assume any mode is going to get "said" overhaul or re-vamp. We haven't even began to brain storm for 13 yet.

# 51 Russell_SCEA @ 02/10/12 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by myghty
DD looks cool but that interview was way too short... Hopefully the DD Blog drops today!
There is a DD blog that includes to the tutorial video but we haven't locked down a release date for the blog yet.

# 52 Perfect Zero @ 02/10/12 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
There is a DD blog that includes to the tutorial video but we haven't locked down a release date for the blog yet.
Can I make a suggestion of today? Please?

# 53 Bobhead @ 02/10/12 02:48 PM
Quote:
I don't know. It sounds like you already decided on a title for 2013's game. Clearly you've done a little brain storming.

# 54 Flaxseed Oil @ 02/10/12 02:59 PM
Does anyone know if you can re-name the fictional players in diamond dynasty?

# 55 Russell_SCEA @ 02/10/12 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxseed Oil
Does anyone know if you can re-name the fictional players in diamond dynasty?

Yup you can change anything but their height, position, secondary position, and aptitude (potential). However some cards give you the ability to pick the players position.

# 56 NYYanks26 @ 02/10/12 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis135

Without going into detail, I can say I'll definitely spend quality time in it. But I like playing online and I love competition. There's so much you can do, it's a very deep mode. Honestly I didn't even finish reading all the tutorials when I was there. Plus I'm sure they made tweaks in the last few months. Regular online play (plus the league) are still the #1 thing for me, but I can definitely see this taking away from RTTS time. It should be a blast to see what the community comes up with as far as logos/uniforms go.
Anxious to see the developer blog.

# 57 Russell_SCEA @ 02/10/12 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYanks26
Without going into detail, I can say I'll definitely spend quality time in it. But I like playing online and I love competition. There's so much you can do, it's a very deep mode. Honestly I didn't even finish reading all the tutorials when I was there. Plus I'm sure they made tweaks in the last few months. Regular online play (plus the league) are still the #1 thing for me, but I can definitely see this taking away from RTTS time. It should be a blast to see what the community comes up with as far as logos/uniforms go.
Anxious to see the developer blog.

You guys are free to talk about anything DD now.

# 58 econoodle @ 02/10/12 03:12 PM
Quote:
there you go boys, hold nothing back and be descriptive.

# 59 Willis135 @ 02/10/12 03:14 PM
Quote:

PLEASE START TALKING!!!!

# 60 bcruise @ 02/10/12 03:15 PM
Quote:

Looking forward to hearing about it!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.