Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

2K Sports today announced that the NBA® 2K12: Game of the Year Edition will be available on March 11, 2012 for $49.99 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.

For a limited time, the package will be available exclusively at Best Buy stores nationwide. It includes a full retail version of NBA 2K12, the previously released Legends Showcase add-on content and a commemorative poster featuring Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird.

“We’re always committed to giving our fans great value,” said Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. “This is a great opportunity to not only get your hands on NBA 2K12, but the terrific Legends Showcase content as well. Gamers and basketball fans alike will love this package.”

NBA 2K12 is the latest installment of the top-rated and top-selling NBA video game simulation franchise* and winner of 26 Sports Game of the Year awards.

Legends Showcase enhances NBA 2K12 by allowing gamers to select from more than 300 of the NBA’s all-time greatest players, including Jordan, Bird, Johnson and Dr. J, and compete in authentic pick-up games from 1-on-1 up to 5-on-5. Legends Showcase also features mini-games, such as 21 and H-O-R-S-E, along with other new features like the 2-on-2 Teammate Challenge and 3-on-3 Era Challenge.

Developed by Visual Concepts, a 2K Sports studio, NBA 2K12: Game of the Year Edition is rated E for everyone by the ESRB and will be available on March 11, 2012.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Goffs @ 02/15/12 01:08 PM
So this is the news the Ronnie mentioned in his twitter? meh...

# 2 23 @ 02/15/12 01:08 PM
wow.........

# 3 SoundTheAlarm @ 02/15/12 01:34 PM
So to show thanks, they offer us the game most everyone already has and throw in the DLC that should have been with the game in the first place, but oh wait you get a poster too! Pathetic.

# 4 kbmnm247 @ 02/15/12 02:24 PM
Anyone else find this a kick in the balls to the people who supported this game for $60 on release day?

I understand it's an incentive to get new people to buy the game but I would like the showcase DLC for free too like these people will get?

# 5 Severus21 @ 02/15/12 02:25 PM
You'd get a free a poster, what's not to like!

# 6 NINJAK2 @ 02/15/12 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmnm247
Anyone else find this a kick in the balls to the people who supported this game for $60 on release day?

I understand it's an incentive to get new people to buy the game but I would like the showcase DLC for free too like these people will get?
Yes. Alot of games have pissed me off doing this (Arkham City, BF3-I hear they are selling that for 30 or 40 bucks now for a limited time). People who are showing up early to the party have been getting screwed with these new price points with no real benefit of buying these games on release day.

# 7 kbmnm247 @ 02/15/12 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
Yes. Alot of games have pissed me off doing this (Arkham City, BF3-I hear they are selling that for 30 or 40 bucks now for a limited time). People who are showing up early to the party have been getting screwed with these new price points with no real benefit of buying these games on release day.
I have no problem with them lowering the price of the new game, that is expected to keep the revenue coming in. I consider the time I had the game worth the difference in price in that case.

However, in this case, people are also getting the DLC for free, which came out what, like 2 months ago? Now, will the legends showcase be free to all of those who don't have it yet? Because in that case I'm fine with it. But why should I (someone who bought the game release day) have to pay for DLC that people, who buy the game brand new for $10 less than I paid, get for free? That doesn't really seem fair.

# 8 Colts18 @ 02/15/12 03:02 PM
Messed up.

# 9 spankdatazz22 @ 02/15/12 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmnm247
I have no problem with them lowering the price of the new game, that is expected to keep the revenue coming in. I consider the time I had the game worth the difference in price in that case.

However, in this case, people are also getting the DLC for free, which came out what, like 2 months ago? Now, will the legends showcase be free to all of those who don't have it yet? Because in that case I'm fine with it. But why should I (someone who bought the game release day) have to pay for DLC that people, who buy the game brand new for $10 less than I paid, get for free? That doesn't really seem fair.
EDIT: This sense that some feel they're owed something because they made a purchase day one doesn't make sense. Verizon released the Motorola Razr around October/November last year; I think it cost $300 w/a new contract. Now they're offering TWO Razrs for less than the price for the original one cost ($200) not even four months later. It's a more extreme example. And yes, it sucks for those that brought day one. But it's the way it is when you leap on something early.

Sports games have a short shelf life. People here complained incessantly when they released the DLC. Now it seems some are going to complain incessantly about this. There needs to be some understanding this isn't an uncommon practice.

# 10 NINJAK2 @ 02/15/12 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
The sense of entitlement is ridiculous around here. There are lots of "Game of the Year" editions out there that bundle previously released content for a lesser price. As a consumer if you choose to jump on something release day then complain when the price is cheaper a few months later, that's your fault. Whether it's tvs, cell phones, games, game systems, etc. if you as a consumer decide to jump on something on day one you can't expect to be given a cookie because you "supported" something early on. I don't know where this sense of entitlement comes from but it's a weak argument. You got to play or use things months before people that didn't buy it early - that's your benefit.
No one is acting entitled spank imo. I am happy with 2k12 despite a few issues I have with it. Some people paid $60 for a game with inaccurate rosters for months and then had to pay an additional $10-$15 just for the abilty to edit classic teams. Now people can pay close to $30 bucks less and get the same thing? I'm curious if they will get the classic GSW and Sac-town teams as well since that was supposed to be an exclusive for pre-orders(which is a reason why I prepaid as they made it seem that I would not be able to access those teams without doing so)? You are right that it's our fault for jumping the gun on these titles..It won't happen again next year...

# 11 spankdatazz22 @ 02/15/12 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
I'm curious if they will get the classic GSW and Sac-town teams as well since that was supposed to be an exclusive for pre-orders(which is a reason why I prepaid as they made it seem that I would not be able to access those teams without doing so)? You are right that it's our fault for jumping the gun on these titles..It won't happen again next year...
Personally I've never thought that about a preorder bonus unless it was explicitly stated (that an item would never be available to anyone else). Battlefield 3 offered the Karland map pack as a preorder bonus but I never thought it wouldn't be offered to others down the line that didn't preorder. I got the Robin/Catwoman DLCs when I preordered Batman from a certain store - I never came away with the idea they wouldn't be offered or bundled sometime later. GTA, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout, etc. all have multiple DLC releases that are bundled later at a cheaper price as incentive to purchase the respective game. It's simply a reality of gaming.

Sports games don't have the shelf life of those other games. I see some constantly cry foul on 2Ks DLC effort. Would it be better they go the route EA does with it's DLC content? Would it be better if people had to buy online passes to access downloadable content like updated rosters or community created rosters? Because those are practices other sports games are doing right now and because the community expects [that behavior] from them, there's no uproar. I'm not trying to slam EA, I just think people need to have some perspective when they begin complaining.

# 12 NINJAK2 @ 02/15/12 06:18 PM
Quote:
Personally I've never thought that about a preorder bonus unless it was explicitly stated (that an item would never be available to anyone else). Battlefield 3 offered the Karland map pack as a preorder bonus but I never thought it wouldn't be offered to others down the line that didn't preorder. I got the Robin/Catwoman DLCs when I preordered Batman from a certain store - I never came away with the idea they wouldn't be offered or bundled sometime later. GTA, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout, etc. all have multiple DLC releases that are bundled later at a cheaper price as incentive to purchase the respective game. It's simply a reality of gaming.

Sports games don't have the shelf life of those other games. I see some constantly cry foul on 2Ks DLC effort. Would it be better they go the route EA does with it's DLC content? Would it be better if people had to buy online passes to access downloadable content like updated rosters or community created rosters? Because those are practices other sports games are doing right now and because the community expects [that behavior] from them, there's no uproar. I'm not trying to slam EA, I just think people need to have some perspective when they begin complaining.
Just because one may have a different view doesn't mean they lack perspective. Just another side of the coin opinion.2k is free to price games at whatever they choose and still happy I bought it.

# 13 KBomber @ 02/15/12 06:23 PM
Quote:
EDIT: This sense that some feel they're owed something because they made a purchase day one doesn't make sense. Verizon released the Motorola Razr around October/November last year; I think it cost $300 w/a new contract. Now they're offering TWO Razrs for less than the price for the original one cost ($200) not even four months later. It's a more extreme example. And yes, it sucks for those that brought day one. But it's the way it is when you leap on something early.

Sports games have a short shelf life. People here complained incessantly when they released the DLC. Now it seems some are going to complain incessantly about this. There needs to be some understanding this isn't an uncommon practice.
From the perspective of 2K Sports, sales of NBA 2K12 were flat compared to 2K11. That was, in part, impacted by the NBA Lockout and I think some of the issues with the game have impacted that on the gamer side of things. I think the idea is to capitalize on some of the groundswell of love the NBA is starting to get back from the fans by introducing this deal.

That's my thought anyways...

# 14 K0ZZ @ 02/15/12 11:07 PM
This is more of a cash grab than anything. Dumb tactic when EA does it. Dumb tactic when 2K does it.

# 15 bedwardsroy19 @ 02/15/12 11:19 PM
I'd be lying if I said this didn't bother me a little bit. There were a lot of issues with gameplay this year that were not necessarily there in 2K11. I get their job is to sell their product, but why make us pay ten dollars to download the DLC if they are giving it out for free shortly later.

It's been much more flash than substance from 2K this year in my opinion, and being barely able to afford it all, I feel slighted. Not to mention all the hours I had to put in to make a more playable roster/association mode.

Just feels wrong. Get why the do it, doesn't make it any more right

# 16 Dino @ 02/15/12 11:19 PM
If they were smart they would release a version right now with Jeremy Lin on the cover.

Linsanity baby!

# 17 NBASLAM2001 @ 02/15/12 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreyes930
“We’re always committed to giving our fans great value,” said Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. “This is a great opportunity to not only get your hands on NBA 2K12, but the terrific Legends Showcase content as well. Gamers and basketball fans alike will love this package.”

No way EA could get away this.

# 18 DonWuan @ 02/15/12 11:51 PM
And we are all waiting for our 1st PC patch.

Is the poster signed by all 3 legends?

# 19 st0rmb11 @ 02/16/12 12:26 AM
The only problem I have with this is the same problem that several of you seem to have with it, and it's a problem that spankdat seems to have a hard time understanding.

I'm (we're) not mad that the price is dropping. That's to be expected after the game has been out for this long. But why do people get to purchase the game for $10 cheaper than me, AND get a feature that I would have had to have paid $10 for? People who buy this "special" edition, will get the game AND the added on features for $10 less than I got the game alone for. You have to reward your loyal customers who bought it on release day (or any time prior to this second release).

If they decide to make the DLC free to everyone, then I'm all for this, but to give late buyers the game and a bonus for $20 less than we had to pay? Well, 2K shouldn't be surprised if they lose some of their loyal customers...

# 20 RUFFNREADY @ 02/16/12 12:58 AM
We have been bamboozeled !!!!!! nice one 2k. lmao.
I guess this means we arent getting anymore patches for this years game!....lmao
2K just pulled an EA. lol

cheers

« Previous123456Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.