Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

2K Sports today announced that the NBA® 2K12: Game of the Year Edition will be available on March 11, 2012 for $49.99 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.

For a limited time, the package will be available exclusively at Best Buy stores nationwide. It includes a full retail version of NBA 2K12, the previously released Legends Showcase add-on content and a commemorative poster featuring Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird.

“We’re always committed to giving our fans great value,” said Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. “This is a great opportunity to not only get your hands on NBA 2K12, but the terrific Legends Showcase content as well. Gamers and basketball fans alike will love this package.”

NBA 2K12 is the latest installment of the top-rated and top-selling NBA video game simulation franchise* and winner of 26 Sports Game of the Year awards.

Legends Showcase enhances NBA 2K12 by allowing gamers to select from more than 300 of the NBA’s all-time greatest players, including Jordan, Bird, Johnson and Dr. J, and compete in authentic pick-up games from 1-on-1 up to 5-on-5. Legends Showcase also features mini-games, such as 21 and H-O-R-S-E, along with other new features like the 2-on-2 Teammate Challenge and 3-on-3 Era Challenge.

Developed by Visual Concepts, a 2K Sports studio, NBA 2K12: Game of the Year Edition is rated E for everyone by the ESRB and will be available on March 11, 2012.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Altimus @ 02/16/12 11:40 AM
LOL

Sent from my HTC EVO

# 42 kbmnm247 @ 02/16/12 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
As I said I know my views don't necessarily reflect the views of the major posters now and that's something I can accept. But I don't see how this is any different from any of the many Game of the Year edition of other games. Unless, 2K is simply being held to a different standard. PLEASE tell me how it's different. I'm looking at my shelf - Call of Duty, GTA, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout. All had multiple DLC releases that were bundled at a lower price point after all the DLC released. That's the benefit you gain of not being an early adopter if you're willing to wait.
Did any of these game of the years + DLC packages come out before the next version game out? Or within 7 months of initial release? Red Dead as far as I know doesn't come with the DLC in the GOTY package, neither does Call of Duty. Hell, black ops DLC is still $15. Either way, you can't name a sports game that has ever done this, so the comparison isn't the same.

Quote:
I've always thought it was well known that if you're willing to wait, you're likely to get more for less. Many times companies offer preorder bonuses where you get free content for getting the game (or product) early. But at some point the game/product is going to come down in price, and they'll likely throw in what was earlier paid content as incentive for purchasing at a later date. I really don't understand the outrage with this one. Your saying you'd be happy if 2K came in and said the DLC is free for those that purchased the game up to date seems somewhat selfish - what about the people that purchased the game AND the DLC? What accommodation is 2K responsible for in that scenario? Because in your example, technically they should be entitled to something more. Or are they entitled to nothing? Again, I don't see these types of expectations being placed on any other sports game dev.
The people that paid for the DLC should be upset, but they paid $10 to play it earlier than the rest of us who had to wait for it to become free. Just as I said, I am not mad the GOTY version is $50, I paid the $10 extra to play the game before all of the people who had to wait. What I am mad at is that these people will also be getting the DLC for free meanwhile I'll have to still pay the $10... how does that make sense? If trading in games wasn't so against the consumer, I'd gladly go trade in my game straight up for the GOTY version and get free DLC...

# 43 kbmnm247 @ 02/16/12 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Funny - people make this claim on something that took a significant of amount of development time yet they are willing to pay for sneakers and jerseys.

And it's their fault for your expectations............? One had nothing to do with the other.
I wouldn't want to pay for sneakers or jerseys either. But that's besides the point.

Your point about sig. amount of dev time is moot is it not? They are the ones offering it for free? We never asked for it to be free. But now that it is free, why shouldn't it be free to everyone?

I guess that's my main issue (and one that I'm speculating on because who knows if it will be free on march 11). Forget about those who paid day one and also day one for DLC, they are kinda screwed but at least they had "advantages" to buying early. But why should I (day 1 customer) have to pay for DLC that a day 200 customer is getting for free (and is paying $10 less for the actual game, as expected, too)? If you can give me what seems like a legit reason I won't harp on the issue.

# 44 coolcras7 @ 02/16/12 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
I'm fine with the price drop, as it's something 2K routinely does with it's sports titles after several months (they are better than EA at this), but what bothers me is that I was forced to buy the DLC so I could edit Classic Rosters and now that DLC is being given away free.

It's not the end of the world, obviously, but 2K would've been better served to have just given us the ability to edit Classic teams from the jump, and they should've just given us the DLC from the jump as well.
Who forced you to buy anything, 2k offered you a product and you choose to buy it, there were people who paid a 100+ dollars to get 2k12 a few days early on Ebay because they put a monetary value on being able to play the game before others, so the question is would you give up the months you have been playing 2k12 just to save 30 dollars, has 2k12 given you 30 dollars worth of enjoyment over the last 4 months because that is what it all boils down to.

# 45 draztikrhymez @ 02/16/12 02:20 PM
I don't think I'm ever buying 2K on release day anymore. I'll just wait for black Friday deals or this game of the year edition of that becomes tradition now

# 46 coolcras7 @ 02/16/12 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by draztikrhymez
I don't think I'm ever buying 2K on release day anymore. I'll just wait for black Friday deals or this game of the year edition of that becomes tradition now
The only way a reasonable person can be upset about a price drop is if it happened a week or 2 after you bought something not months later.

# 47 kbmnm247 @ 02/16/12 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
The only way a reasonable person can be upset about a price drop is if it happened a week or 2 after you bought something not months later.
Why can't we day one buyers be upset that the DLC will now be free to the people who bought the game 3 months later but still cost $10 to the people who bought 2k12 day one?

# 48 Altimus @ 02/16/12 02:50 PM
Quote:
Funny - people make this claim on something that took a significant of amount of development time yet they are willing to pay for sneakers and jerseys.

And it's their fault for your expectations............? One had nothing to do with the other.
Then Ronnie shouldn't be claiming big surprise to a community full of people that have the game already.

I don't care about this 2K is turning into EA discussion but 2K screwed this game up and on the support on it as well.

Sent from my HTC EVO

# 49 Altimus @ 02/16/12 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmnm247
Why can't we day one buyers be upset that the DLC will now be free to the people who bought the game 3 months later but still cost $10 to the people who bought 2k12 day one.
You can be but this happens all the time. It's just that this is a sports game.

Sent from my HTC EVO

# 50 kbmnm247 @ 02/16/12 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus
You can be but this happens all the time. It's just that this is a sports game.

Sent from my HTC EVO
When has it happened that any game has came out, 2 months later DLC comes out, 2.5 months later that DLC is free in the GOTY edition which is also $10 cheaper than day one purchase? I've never heard of it before and I'm not trying to be sarcastic or a pain, I'd actually like to know if something like this has happened before with a videogame.

# 51 coolcras7 @ 02/16/12 02:58 PM
Quote:
Why can't we day one buyers be upset that the DLC will now be free to the people who bought the game 3 months later but still cost $10 to the people who bought 2k12 day one?
because the value of everything depreciates over time, you know once you drive a new car off a lot it it worth less than it was the second before, and as I wrote in my previous post have you in past 4 months received 30 dollars worth of joy from playing the game and would you have given that experience by not have the game until now.

# 52 kbmnm247 @ 02/16/12 03:05 PM
Quote:
because the value of everything depreciates over time, you know once you drive a new car off a lot it it worth less than it was the second before, and as I wrote in my previous post have you in past 4 months received 30 dollars worth of joy from playing the game and would you have given that experience by not have the game until now.
You're talking about the game, I'm talking about the DLC. As I've said numerous times I have no problem with the game being cheaper. Hell, I have no problem with the DLC being included for the cheaper price, as long as that DLC is now free to all users.

The season isn't even in the playoffs yet and I'm going to have to pay $20 more than someone who buys the game Mar 11 to play the same version they have? Because I bought it day one? I don't understand how this made sense to the 2k execs.

Ah! Also, to your depreciation point. You are correct. A car goes down in value like 50% once you drive it off the lot. So, in line with that, you're basically saying the DLC has depreciated to a value of $0 right? So why on Mar 11 will I have to pay $10 for it? I wouldn't have to pay full price for a used car that depreciated itself, right?

# 53 coolcras7 @ 02/16/12 03:08 PM
Quote:
You're talking about the game, I'm talking about the DLC. As I've said numerous times I have no problem with the game being cheaper. Hell, I have no problem with the DLC being included for the cheaper price, as long as that DLC is now free to all users.

The season isn't even in the playoffs yet and I'm going to have to pay $20 more than someone who buys the game Mar 11 to play the same version they have? Because I bought it day one? I don't understand how this made sense to the 2k execs.

Ah! Also, to your depreciation point. You are correct. A car goes down in value like 50% once you drive it off the lot. So, in line with that, you're basically saying the DLC has depreciated to a value of $0 right? So why on Mar 11 will I have to pay $10 for it? I wouldn't have to pay full price for a used car that depreciated itself, right?
The DLC is not free they put it in a package deal, who is to say the price of the game was not the one that dropped to 20-30 and the DLC is still 10.

# 54 kbmnm247 @ 02/16/12 03:15 PM
Quote:
The DLC is not free they put it in a package deal, who is to say the price of the game was not the one that dropped to 20-30 and the DLC is still 10.
I suppose you could argue that point but that seems unlikely. I would assume then that it would come with a code for the DLC that you could then sell to make up the $.

# 55 OGKing @ 02/16/12 03:29 PM
That's some funny stuff man

I doubt i'll play 2k12 again this year. Not that i don't like it, it's just so damn confusing sometimes.

# 56 coolcras7 @ 02/16/12 03:35 PM
Quote:
I suppose you could argue that point but that seems unlikely. I would assume then that it would come with a code for the DLC that you could then sell to make up the $.
On Black Friday the game was selling for 30-40 dollars that was how many months ago ? this is just a business decision by 2k to take advantage of all the recent attention the NBA has been getting with players like Lin to squeeze the last bit of juice from 2k12.

# 57 Pared @ 02/16/12 04:00 PM
Quote:
I wouldn't want to pay for sneakers or jerseys either. But that's besides the point.

Your point about sig. amount of dev time is moot is it not? They are the ones offering it for free? We never asked for it to be free. But now that it is free, why shouldn't it be free to everyone?

I guess that's my main issue (and one that I'm speculating on because who knows if it will be free on march 11). Forget about those who paid day one and also day one for DLC, they are kinda screwed but at least they had "advantages" to buying early. But why should I (day 1 customer) have to pay for DLC that a day 200 customer is getting for free (and is paying $10 less for the actual game, as expected, too)? If you can give me what seems like a legit reason I won't harp on the issue.
It's called an incentive. People do this ALL THE TIME in sales... they are willing to take a loss on DLC just to spur new sales of the game.

So other companies don't do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus
Then Ronnie shouldn't be claiming big surprise to a community full of people that have the game already.
He gets paid to promote the game to ANYONE that is interested in 2k Sports titles, NOT just fans of NBA 2k. Some of you seem to forget they sell other titles as well. Heck, there are baseball fans who are going to buy the 2 pack of MLB and NBA together - it's the same exact thing.

# 58 Jaybird10000 @ 02/16/12 04:01 PM
I am wondering if they are going to at least give you the 01-02 kings and 90-91 warriors will also. That would be nice if they do, cause a lot of people missed out on that. I had to get a new ps3 cause mine was stolen and I am **** out of luck even though I bought it on opening day because play station network made me sign up under a different user name so I couldn't redeem the code again. so that would be worth the buying the game again.

# 59 Altimus @ 02/16/12 05:49 PM
Quote:
It's called an incentive. People do this ALL THE TIME in sales... they are willing to take a loss on DLC just to spur new sales of the game.

So other companies don't do this?

He gets paid to promote the game to ANYONE that is interested in 2k Sports titles, NOT just fans of NBA 2k. Some of you seem to forget they sell other titles as well. Heck, there are baseball fans who are going to buy the 2 pack of MLB and NBA together - it's the same exact thing.
You really think non-NBA fans are following Ronnie's twitter?

The baseball pack is what it is. A desperation move. And anyone that has NBA buys it can just sell it and keep MLB.

2k's marketing and community support is terrible.

Sent from my HTC EVO

# 60 hesko @ 02/16/12 07:07 PM
The people who pre-ordered and or bought the showcase dlc should at least get a free poster. They just gonna leave us a$$ out like Prince pants? smh... People with money....

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.