Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

GameInformer recently sat down with Richard Hilleman, Electronic Arts Chief Creative Officer, as they discuss Madden NFL 13's focus on making defense fun again.

What are you hoping to see on the defensive side of the ball?

Quote:
Electronic Arts chief creative officer Richard Hilleman says the new leadership group at EA Tiburon is focused on making defense fun again.

Hilleman is no stranger to the Madden franchise, having designed the original game alongside Scott Orr and John Madden back in 1988. When I sat down with him at DICE, one of the big questions on my mind was what fans should expect from Madden NFL 13 given the large turnover at the top of the development team. Hilleman seems optimistic.

"They are doing big things this year," he said. "They're making big changes. Those are big changes that are going to break a lot of stuff, and they know that. What we're after is a better defense that's more fun to play."

The defensive side of the football has been long overdue for a revamp. The last major change to the defensive controls came in Madden NFL 05 with the introduction of the hit stick. Hopefully this retooling will also address the poor awareness demonstrated by the secondary in last year's game and mark the return of true gang tackling. If the new approach to defense was developed by EA Tiburon's shared technology group, there is a chance these features could extend over to NCAA Football as well.

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 johnnyg713 @ 02/22/12 07:04 PM
@Bezo, man do I hope they discussed the issues you brought up at CD and I hope the developers see your post.

As I stated earlier in this thread, for EA to implement more "Fun" in playing defense, they need to give us more control but at the same time they must somehow make playing defense easier. I feel this is what EA is struggling with.

I like to think I'm more of a hardcore madden player when it comes to playing offense, but when I play defense I put myself on the casual side. When I play defense, 80% of the time I control a Defensive lineman, the other 20% is when I blitz with a linebacker or safety. I don't even bother trying to cover a receiver because I know I'm gonna get burned. I strictly rush the QB or try and stop the run. All my friends play defense this same exact way, so I feel I speak for the majority of casual gamers.

User coverage in this game is too hard. EA implemented the use of A to automatically guide your user controlled defender but at the end of the day thats not fun either. I found myself just switching back to rushing the QB.

# 62 PantherBeast_OS @ 02/22/12 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
Just make every matchup on the field,.balanced and fair.

Thats all.

Whenever I hear talk like this, I get a little nervous because they have a habit of swinging the pendulum too far in the opposite direction.

Reward the right use of personnel and x's &o's, and punish those who dont.

Simple.
Nothing much I can say at this point. Everyone has just said about everything that can be said about this blog.

Like Sportguy said and I agree with him. All I want to see is a fair and level playing ground between me and the AI. Reward the team that play the right calls. Take away the mirror WR routes crap and fix the ball trajectory and I would be happy camper. Just stop with the Superman AI stuff. That has been going on for far to long and it is time to end it this year.

# 63 Jarodd21 @ 02/22/12 07:26 PM
I'm all for the defense getting alot of attention for 13. The only thing is you are going to get alot of players who are lacking on the offense side of the ball complaining about how tough it is to run or pass instead of working on there game.. But I agree with some of the posters about the interactions between the Dline/Oline and CB/WRs needs to be fixed so the gameplay can look right. But even if that gets fixed you will still get complaints from guys who simply aren't good on offense. Some of the complaints is warranted but some of it is also the USER..

# 64 DUDERMAN @ 02/22/12 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
I'm all for the defense getting alot of attention for 13. The only thing is you are going to get alot of players who are lacking on the offense side of the ball complaining about how tough it is to run or pass instead of working on there game.. But I agree with some of the posters about the interactions between the Dline/Oline and CB/WRs needs to be fixed so the gameplay can look right. But even if that gets fixed you will still get complaints from guys who simply aren't good on offense. Some of the complaints is warranted but some of it is also the USER..
I couldn't agree more after reading some of the comments here. I'm constantly reading about too many interceptions in the game, but if you make the right reads and the right throws, it's easy to avoid interceptions. The problem is that the game is too easy, even on All Madden, for offense and defense. By increasing the defensive play and AI QB play, this game would instantly be more fun... for me at least.

# 65 Jarodd21 @ 02/22/12 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDERMAN
I couldn't agree more after reading some of the comments here. I'm constantly reading about too many interceptions in the game, but if you make the right reads and the right throws, it's easy to avoid interceptions. The problem is that the game is too easy, even on All Madden, for offense and defense. By increasing the defensive play and AI QB play, this game would instantly be more fun... for me at least.
Exactly.. You should see how I have my sliders set up for the CPU just to get some sort of challenge against my passing and rushing.. I have there pass defense maxed out and my USER accuracy at 6 and I only threw 14 INTs in my franchise I believe. Like I said some of the complaints is warranted but alot of it is on the USER lacking on the offensive side of the ball. So I really can't wait to see the improvements to the defense for 13..

BTW check out my sliders too if you are having trouble getting a challenge from the CPU. Trust me they won't disappoint you. The CPU will keep you on your toes with how I have things set up.. Read everything I have to say.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...m-sliders.html

# 66 DUDERMAN @ 02/22/12 10:46 PM
Quote:
Exactly.. You should see how I have my sliders set up for the CPU just to get some sort of challenge against my passing and rushing.. I have there pass defense maxed out and my USER accuracy at 6 and I only threw 14 INTs in my franchise I believe. Like I said some of the complaints is warranted but alot of it is on the USER lacking on the offensive side of the ball. So I really can't wait to see the improvements to the defense for 13..

BTW check out my sliders too if you are having trouble getting a challenge from the CPU. Trust me they won't disappoint you. The CPU will keep you on your toes with how I have things set up.. Read everything I have to say.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...m-sliders.html
I've done sliders in the past and they do help. However, lately I've been almost strictly an online franchise player so I don't have the access to sliders. Still, I may check those out offline a bit later. Thanks.

# 67 Aggies7 @ 02/22/12 11:27 PM
On iPhone can't read while article and I'm sure DJ has already jumped in somewhere and said it but I sure hope the defensive player lock/reverse camera makes it in.

# 68 gjneff @ 02/22/12 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtrain
wait, pass interference is in the game. What about intentional grounding. Giants got 2 points in the biggest game of the year of that penalty. And late hits? There aren't penalties in madden. Com'on man.
For the human player intentional grounding is in the game. If you throw it away while in the pocket it will flag you. Any other pass is not intentional grounding as you are pressing a button to pass to a receiver, therefore removing the intentional part of grounding.

# 69 Bulls321974 @ 02/23/12 10:08 AM
I stopped buying these announcements and promises a long time ago. EA has been disappointing me for a number of years, so why should I buy them this time?

# 70 Tyrant8RDFL @ 02/23/12 12:15 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDERMAN
I also agree with both of you

I have zero complaints about the frequency with interceptions. Some say its the psychic db or the super jumping LB, but I never come across any of this as a issue. I'm not saying it doesn't exist , but I don't encounter it.

I read defense very well, and run the ball very well. I had to play on very fast and on all madden so things can be competitive.

Some of the gripes are more contributed to the lack of skills the player possess, than trying to claim that the game is coded wrong.

# 71 BezO @ 02/23/12 12:28 PM
I think some aspects of the game will actually be easier. Reading coverage, for example, would be easier if footwork & line of sight were addressed. You could then rely on defenders not seeing balls they aren't looking at and having to change direction properly when that's relevant...

...if these are things they will address

# 72 EmmdotFrisk @ 02/23/12 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls321974
I stopped buying these announcements and promises a long time ago. EA has been disappointing me for a number of years, so why should I buy them this time?
Nobody is forcing you too. It comes down to the experience and perceived value. I have gripes and concerns about the game but I look at this as the cheapest form of entertainment. I could spend 60 at the bar or see two movies with my fiancé and only get a few hours of entertainment. Madden is a game I play 4 hours a day for almost 12 months a year.

# 73 Jarodd21 @ 02/23/12 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
I think you guys are misunderstanding something. I personally believe interceptions ARE far too frequent, but not in the way you are assuming. for example, I am an ONLINE ONLY player. I don't enjoy playing the computer. In my online franchise, last season I made it to the NFC Championship game as a wild card team. I played 19 games. through those 19 games I threw 29 Total TDs and 17 interceptions. That is not a lot of picks. Yes, it's about making reads and having good decision making is a big part of football. The gripe that I have is that when passes are errant, or defenders make plays on the ball, the outcome of an interception is far too frequent. In the real NFL, you don't see a lot of one handed leaping picks or over the shoulder interceptions by defensive backs. Deep balls especially are not frequently intercepted. Most interceptions in the NFL are over thrown balls, or balls thrown HIGH over the middle of the field. Then there are the plays that defensive backs just make as far as jumping a route or whatever. Those are fine. A higher percentage of pass plays should be broken up rather than intercepted. Sometimes, defenders in madden have better hands than they should, especially if you are usering a guy. For example, I'm pretty igood at user controlling linebackers, and sometimes, I can cover the entire middle of the field with one player. I strictly play with the Giants so most of the time I am usering Michael Boley who has solid agility, but not the best hands. I've had games where Boley has had 3 or 4 picks. Come one really? Boley has barely had 4 picks in his career. More plays need to be broken up rather than caught, especially when the defender is in an awkward position in relation to where the ball is thrown.

So in short, the issue being brought up here is not that it's hard NOT to throw interceptions. It's the fact that balls that are in play are intercepted far too often
Don't get it twisted I ball with the best of them online too. Some people on here believe that most offline players can't play online and that is not the case with me at all. I've played plenty of people on this site that know that but I also enjoy offline too.

But I hear what you are saying. There are some times where the defenders make some superman INTs but alot of other times its on the USER. I'm sure that game where you got 3 or 4 picks with Boley the person you were playing was just forcing passes right to you. I'm sure that would happen in real life if a QB was throwing passes directly at Boley. You won't see that in real life because QBs usually don't play that bad. But you will come across USERs like that who are terrible at reading coverages and will force passes across the middle. But I agree defenders do go for the INT more often then the pass deflects on Madden this year and some of the grabs are over the top but alot of it still comes down to some poor decisions being made from the USER when throwing the ball.

# 74 bobtrain @ 02/23/12 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
I think you guys are misunderstanding something. I personally believe interceptions ARE far too frequent, but not in the way you are assuming. for example, I am an ONLINE ONLY player. I don't enjoy playing the computer. In my online franchise, last season I made it to the NFC Championship game as a wild card team. I played 19 games. through those 19 games I threw 29 Total TDs and 17 interceptions. That is not a lot of picks. Yes, it's about making reads and having good decision making is a big part of football. The gripe that I have is that when passes are errant, or defenders make plays on the ball, the outcome of an interception is far too frequent. In the real NFL, you don't see a lot of one handed leaping picks or over the shoulder interceptions by defensive backs. Deep balls especially are not frequently intercepted. Most interceptions in the NFL are over thrown balls, or balls thrown HIGH over the middle of the field. Then there are the plays that defensive backs just make as far as jumping a route or whatever. Those are fine. A higher percentage of pass plays should be broken up rather than intercepted. Sometimes, defenders in madden have better hands than they should, especially if you are usering a guy. For example, I'm pretty good at user controlling linebackers, and sometimes, I can cover the entire middle of the field with one player. I strictly play with the Giants so most of the time I am usering Michael Boley who has solid agility, but not the best hands. I've had games where Boley has had 3 or 4 picks. Come one really? Boley has barely had 4 picks in his career. More plays need to be broken up rather than caught, especially when the defender is in an awkward position in relation to where the ball is thrown.

So in short, the issue being brought up here is not that it's hard NOT to throw interceptions. It's the fact that balls that are in play are intercepted far too often
What it boiles down to is if Madden 13 represents the true game as best as it can. We don't care if someone (I know I'm replying to you because I agree with your statement) needs to play on All-Madden and on Super Fast. That's the problem. You are playing an unrealistic game. I think hard core Madden fans. The ones that started playing this game in 1992, etc (like me) are wanting this game to get back to its roots of realism.

That said, the Defense AI is not coded properly simply because there are not enough animations to suite all the possible situations that can happen in real life, the ball trajectory is not accurate (hence the high level of deflections, etc) and one thing I've noticed over the years that not a lot of people tend to notice is that the difference in size between the player models and the field size has increased. Seriously, go play madden 07. It seems between 2007 and 2012 the players have gotten smaller. To compensate this difference, it feels as if Madden has increased the speed of players on the field to make up the difference creating more of an arcade feel. Just an observation, BUT I wonder if anyone here who's played Madden for years has noticed this slight change over the years and also if it has ANY affect on the number of UNREALISTIC interceptions??

# 75 DUDERMAN @ 02/23/12 08:44 PM
I'd also like to see First down marker awareness. I recently played my buddy online and got him into a 3rd and 8 situation. He was working the middle most of the game so I called a cover 2 to play it safe. I expect my linebackers to drop back slightly to make sure they don't give up the first. Instead, they drop back 5 yards past the marker which made the first down pass incredibly easy for him. This is something simple enough that would really help the defensive side of the ball.

# 76 LionsFanNJ @ 02/23/12 09:34 PM
With the refocus on defense I hope HOPE that the pass rush and blocking logic is adjusted, we can disguise blitzes with some pre snap movement and disguise coverage like ps2 era.
(MAN LOCK I'M LOOKING AT YOU.). And possibly bring back full pass rush move controls.

Either way I'm in wait and see mode.

# 77 Aggies7 @ 02/26/12 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFanNJ
With the refocus on defense I hope HOPE that the pass rush and blocking logic is adjusted, we can disguise blitzes with some pre snap movement and disguise coverage like ps2 era.
(MAN LOCK I'M LOOKING AT YOU.). And possibly bring back full pass rush move controls.

Either way I'm in wait and see mode.
If by man lock your talking reverse camera for defense I am right there with you on that one. Just hope it finally makes it in.

# 78 OPDriver @ 02/26/12 01:35 AM
We shall see. They have a lot to improve and I honestly don't see it happening.

# 79 LionsFanNJ @ 02/26/12 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
If by man lock your talking reverse camera for defense I am right there with you on that one. Just hope it finally makes it in.
no no. Though i love that camera in NCAA and i agree on that point it would be great in Madden, I'm actually speaking on man lock how it was used on PS, where say you call a zone play, but tap the man lock button, so the players line up like they're playing man coverage, but the zone responsibilities change based on where those players line up. Pretty much a bluff of coverage

# 80 DUDERMAN @ 02/27/12 12:31 AM
I would also like to have an option to have my corners play inside coverage or outside. It would help when getting abused up the middle and help cover the sidelines at the end of a game when trying to conserve a win.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.