Home
News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Gagnon39 @ 02/21/12 11:53 PM
Things I like:

The sound of the bat.
The longer bills on hats (and Dempster's more curved bill).
The cut-scenes.

Things I don't like:

The outfield wall in Busch. What about when those players get traded in franchise mode. Kind of silly.
The lack of improvements in the announcers.

# 82 mpt54 @ 02/22/12 12:27 AM
This game is going to be awesome!!! Can't wait till March 6th

# 83 baseballsim @ 02/22/12 12:32 AM
Looks very nice but not much different than last year. I'm sure the game play might be a bit different, however.

# 84 brettryantalley @ 02/22/12 12:44 AM
One frustration in 11 was the outfield depth on a lot of plays: they seem shallow. Beltran's seeing eye single was an example of something I hoped would be fixed...soriano ends up fielding the ball 10 ft behind Castro. Am I wrong? Is it normal?

Of course it's a small thing. Love it.

# 85 Bahnzo @ 02/22/12 12:54 AM
One nitpick I have from watching these videos is the sound. To me, the sound of the ball popping the catcher's mitt is much too loud. Same with the bat. The sounds themselves are great and sound pretty authentic, but they are too loud compared to the rest of the game.

# 86 sydrogerdavid @ 02/22/12 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
Things I like:

The sound of the bat.
The longer bills on hats (and Dempster's more curved bill).
The cut-scenes.

Things I don't like:

The outfield wall in Busch. What about when those players get traded in franchise mode. Kind of silly.
The lack of improvements in the announcers.

About the outfield wall...

This was already done in MLB 11 if you guys didn't notice. Albert, Holliday, Carp, and Waino were on the wall, all in color. At least for me, when I finally traded Albert and Carp retired, their likenesses on the outfield wall didn't bother me in the slightest. I have grown accustomed to seeing these guys on the wall even though they are no longer on my team, in franchise. Trust me, it isn't that bad. In fact, I hardly notice. And if I hardly notice, SLAB and EN can vouch for me on this, then it's not that big of a deal. As long as they are on the real life Cardinals, I am fine with them being on the wall. It is highly likely that the guys that are on the wall this year will still be on the Cardinals at the end of the year.

Then I guess your next question would be, "But what if that player leaves in real life, like Albert? You have to stare at his picture on that wall. Doesn't that bother you?" No, it doesn't bother me. In next years game, he will not be on the wall any longer. Such as what is happening this year.

In fact, since the the wall debuted in MLB 08: The Show, it has always been wrong. I believe this is the reason I am accustomed to seeing former players on the wall. I'm used to the wall being wrong and accepted that fact long ago.

What does bother me, and I'm sure most Cardinal fans would agree, is that they are current players, not legends. We know about the rights of having legends in the game, we have accepted the fact that it won't happen and there is nothing we can do about it.

Secondly, that the wall looks like it's covered in Fatheads, which is completely unrealistic. As I mentioned to the CD guys, they should look like ghosts and have their red highlighted.

For me, these two situations are the two biggest problems with the wall. Not that they players might leave. What also bothers me is the fact that Jaime is not in numerical order with the rest of the players and that there aren't enough players to fill the wall up.

Without recieveing any specific details, EN has told me that my wall suggestions were fulfilled. To what extent, I do not know. I know that I suggested that Jaime be put into numerical order and that the players be turned into ghosts with their red highlighted.

Now my question for you fellas. Why are you knocking the wall at Busch Stadium for being silly; for being unrealistic because the players might leave in franchise mode? So what if the players leave early in franchise? Why aren't you knocking the player's wall that is at U.S. Cellular Field? Why didn't you knock the player portraits that were (maybe still) hanging on the wall at the Metrodome?

Here is some news. This game has more modes than just a franchise mode. The devs are trying to make the stadiums look as realistic as possible and believe me, even if the players leave during franchise mode, it still looks a ton better than having a blank, empty green space with nothing on it sitting in left field.

For reference, here is what it means to have the players look like ghosts and to have their red highlighted.

# 87 Russell_SCEA @ 02/22/12 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
I could nit pick, pick it apart and pick things i don't like.

But why do that? its the same Show we all know and love and
it stands as the only game worth owning a PS3 for.

As usual.

Visuals and gameplay are top notch.

However it's probably the least upgrade in years.

MLB 11 did and offered so much right that going to MLB 12 had to be transitionary not revolutionary to solidify good gaming again.

I DO expect this next year though.

1)Baggier uniforms

2)Adjustable fielding camera
3)More real sponsors and no more Hotdogstand generics ones (like in the Tigers vid)
4)Better pitching animations
5)branded accessories and shoes

Don't get your hopes for the items in bold. If if could happen it would have happened already.

# 88 Doormat @ 02/22/12 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
One nitpick I have from watching these videos is the sound. To me, the sound of the ball popping the catcher's mitt is much too loud. Same with the bat. The sounds themselves are great and sound pretty authentic, but they are too loud compared to the rest of the game.
Yeah when it hits the glove it sounds like the gun shot from the game GTA San Andreas (The Tec 9 I believe)
(Totally out of topic )

# 89 ARoid1313 @ 02/22/12 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC2
Love this! Castro's white sleeve looks awesome.

Am I the only person who doesn't want branded accessories? I mean I know it adds to the realism, but theres something about the simplicity of no brands thats nice and helps separate this game from the crap put out by EA and 2k.
Wow u really feel ea and 2k put out crap games?

# 90 abjsuperstar @ 02/22/12 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbergh22
well the announcere are saying the same old garbage with very little new lines. Extremely disappointing.
i noticed this too... why did they not change commentary come on now this is 3 years now..

# 91 Arod2k9 @ 02/22/12 04:34 AM
Extremely impressed with player animations, ball physics, ball sound, bat sound. It feels and plays like baseball. Thanks for sharing and thanks MLB 12 dev team.

# 92 Azamien @ 02/22/12 08:48 AM
Love the look of the gameplay, but somewhat disappointed that Busch wasn't fixed. The outfield wall thing has been covered well enough in this thread, so I'll only mention my other big peeve, which is one that I have to stare at for literally half the game. The ad boards behind home plate are still too big (and the colour looks off in the video, but that could just be the video).

This isn't the best view of it, but it's what I could quickly find, and it's enough to show what I'm talking about:

The ad boards should be flush with the wall, but in the game they extend way above it.

I know it's a nit-pick, and something so unrelated to actual gameplay isn't going to cause me to go cancel my pre-order or anything, but seeing that for hundreds of innings over the last few years has finally worn me down enough to be "that guy".

# 93 Qb @ 02/22/12 09:02 AM
I know it was in last year, but I love that pitching camera. Pitching motions look very fluid, especially Carpenter viewed from CF. Pulse pitching is much more visually appealing from that perspective.

Can we turn the ball marker off when using pulse pitching? Not the pulse graphic, just the ball marker. Always a fan of no marker and it would give a better feel of throwing to a target, not a specific spot.

# 94 crains13 @ 02/22/12 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
Agreed...would be nice to have it toned down a bit in a patch...

C
You can adjust the sound effects in the game. Along with the pa announcer and so on.

# 95 TexasBorn1 @ 02/22/12 09:08 AM
Loving the new sounds and the new ball physics. Not loving the commentary at all so I think I will be playing with stadium sounds and the PA announcer cranked up.

# 96 nemesis04 @ 02/22/12 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Can we turn the ball marker off when using pulse pitching? Not the pulse graphic, just the ball marker. Always a fan of no marker and it would give a better feel of throwing to a target, not a specific spot.
You can turn off the ball icon.

# 97 PsychoBulk @ 02/22/12 10:38 AM
I like the look of what i see.

Its as if some guys are expecting the game to look massively different to last year, why would it? Its still baseball after all, and for a game and series like The Show which does so many things right, theres no need to try and re-invent the wheel, that can come with PS4 in a couple of years.

The new ball physics are clearly noticeable and add a lot of realism for me, i like the new batting view, the sharper, smaller OSD's, the new "whip" with which the pitchers deliver the pitch, the new sounds also sit well too.

This is a year of a lot of small innovations coming together to form a large change to how the game plays, much of it under the hood (i.e. physics) but as i said, a total revamp simply wasnt going to happen and wasnt needed.

Sure there are some things that really do need improving such as the feel and flow of commentary but again, that probably wont come until the next generation of consoles.

Looking forward to March 6th even more than before, if that were possible

# 98 jmik58 @ 02/22/12 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger21
The sound coming off the bat is so different and so nice.
Maybe I need to watch/listen a little more but I thought the ball-off-the-bat sound was oddly off.

# 99 stealyerface @ 02/22/12 11:00 AM
Nice touch in the first AB, and maybe this could be construed as both good or bad...

On the third pitch, the pitcher throws a 4-seamer to the outside edge of the plate. If you watch, the shortstop actually takes a three step shade to his right, to protect the hole on a late swing, which is exactly what he should do in real life when he sees that fastball call, and peeks in for the location.

On the next pitch, the pitcher is going inside, and you can see the SS take a step to his left, to protect the middle with the 2-seamer called, and the fact that the batter has a better chance of pulling the inside pitch..

Very cool aspect that can possibly be used to tip the location and the pitch call, but realistic nevertheless.

~syf

# 100 AUTiger1 @ 02/22/12 11:26 AM
This was just absolutely awesome! Loved the new defensive overlay. I just wish there would be some mention about the lineup and starting defense instead of just silence. The Cardinals outfield wall was awesome. Don't know if that's new to 12 or not but it was awesome seeing the pictures of Molina and company. Loving the new pitching animations.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.