Home
MLB 2K12 News Post

The MLB 2K12 demo is available now. Play a few games and post your impressions here.

Read the full press release below.

2K Sports Announces Major League Baseball 2K12 Demo
Now Available on Xbox LIVE Marketplace and PlayStation Network

Features Texas Rangers against St. Louis Cardinals in
rematch of 2011 World Series

New York, NY – February 28, 2012 – 2K Sports today announced that a free demo of Major League Baseball® 2K12 is now available on the Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and the PlayStation®Network for PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.

The demo allows players to relive 2011’s thrilling, back-and-forth World Series and play three innings as the Texas Rangers or St. Louis Cardinals. In addition, it showcases many of MLB 2K12’s improved features, including the dynamic tendencies system that adjusts pitcher and batter ratings as the game unfolds; a revamped throwing system; and a new hit distribution system with more varied and realistic hit types.

This year’s edition of MLB 2K will allow players to experience the authenticity and excitement of a real baseball game, and also a chance to win $1,000,000. The Perfect Game Challenge returns for the third consecutive year with MLB 2K12, and is bigger than ever. The new format will utilize a dynamic leaderboard that ranks the top eight perfect games thrown. At the end of the competition, the top eight competitors will face each other in a live $1 million tournament.

MLB 2K12 is rated E for everyone by the ESRB and will be available March 6, 2012 for Xbox 360, PlayStation®3, Wii™ system, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, Nintendo DS™ and Windows PC.

Major League Baseball 2K12  screenshot gallery - Click to view Major League Baseball 2K12  screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Major League Baseball 2K12 Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 12 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 blkprince04 @ 02/28/12 05:27 PM
I'm liking it's so far.much smoother sharper cleaner.hit. variety Is good...few jerky animations but No game killer... I don't like when the baseruners run they run with their head up that's a No no... but so far Im liking It....the gloves, shoes. batting gloves and Jersey's look good.. although the gloves,shoes and batting gloves aren't name brands none the less. they look nicely done......

# 22 DirtyJerz32 @ 02/28/12 05:28 PM
How many innings? I didn't see anyone confirm it.

# 23 tvman @ 02/28/12 05:31 PM
I had an easy force at 2nd for the 3rd out but the 2nd baseman wasn't standing on the bag, was this a problem last year?

# 24 gharp14 @ 02/28/12 05:33 PM
3 innings only way you can sub in new pitchers is to get them ejected which is a hastle. I feel like it is smoother than last years game and i quickly reconized the dfferent hit variety which looked good. Pitching still seems to have something missing and outfileders still have way to good of arms. I would like to see a little more responsiveness on double plays and more pitching motions and signiture swings. Not sure if its a day 1 purchase but i might wait to see the price goes down to pick it up.

# 25 tvman @ 02/28/12 05:38 PM
The only framerate stuttering i'm seeing on hits is on fouls anything hit fair seems ok.

# 26 Bat @ 02/28/12 05:44 PM
I am getting a considerable amount of stutter when the ball is hit, mostly foul. Still rather annoying.

Other than that and the stock batting camera, I am very impressed. It does seem very polished. Faces look better.....

Animations are SO much better!

Exceeded my expectations.

# 27 DirtyJerz32 @ 02/28/12 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharp14
3 innings
Thanks man!

# 28 DJ @ 02/28/12 05:57 PM
I've played the Demo twice now, once as the Cardinals and once as the Rangers. The game doesn't feel a whole lot different than MLB 2K11, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, as I thought 2K11 was a pretty good game.

One thing that stood out right away was that I managed to pull a HR down the left field line with Molina ... using a CONTACT SWING. Molina's power rating against Feliz was only 50, so this was very encouraging that I was able to turn on the ball and put it over the fence.

Power swing isn't an automatic HR, which is good. I hit a nice double to the LCF gap with Kinsler. Since I brought that up, I should mention that the ballpark feels bigger than in previous years; I thought in 2K10/11, the outfield was too small when you were playing the game. It seemed more expansive this year.

CPU took several close pitches with two strikes, and took 2 called third strikes. Nice to see they weren't swinging at anything close.

The fielding feels tighter than last year; one of my complaints in 2K11 was the outfielders felt very rigid and hard to move around. This appears to have been loosened up this year.

I didn't notice any framerate issues.

Player faces are MUCH IMPROVED from last year.

The graphic overlays look great and I like some of the new ones they've added in.

I didn't attempt to check my swing, so not sure if that has been fixed or not.

Pitching still is great.

Overall, I think the demo is very solid. Again, it's not groundbreaking, but that's OK. It looks like 2K12 will be a very-refined version of 2K12 and that's fine by me.

# 29 sykane @ 02/28/12 06:05 PM
[QUOTE=DJ;2043409576

I didn't attempt to check my swing, so not sure if that has been fixed or not.

The check swings are MUCH BETTER NOW YOU WILL NOTICE HOW RESPONSIVE THEY ARE.

# 30 MFin04 @ 02/28/12 06:08 PM
Game really plays pretty well. Had an error from each team in the last game I played. RF tried to throw the ball to non-existent 1B who dove on the play. Had a double play ball up the middle that the 2nd baseman flipped over SS head...pretty cool animation. All 3 guys were safe.

Also, noticed the glove textures. Jamie Garcia has a red leather glove that actually looks like real red leather...not a plastic fake glove with no texture.

# 31 areobee401 @ 02/28/12 06:09 PM
This will be my first year back playing the 2k franchise since 2k9. Based on the demo a lot has changed since then and for the better. The colors(while not completely accurate) really pop. Pitching seems tighter than I remember it being. The new throwing meter should make defense fun to play. The amount of information given to you while pitching was really cool.

Frame rate issues on foul balls, awkward animations and player models were the three negatives that stuck to me.

Fingers crossed that everything else works as advertised and franchise mode has no major bugs.

Looking forward to March 6th.

# 32 Bat @ 02/28/12 06:10 PM
I just lost in extra innings by losing a foot race to first! Jon Jay just beat Michael Young.. damn.

Very fun though!

# 33 Mikocop @ 02/28/12 06:20 PM
Nice hit variety, had a few infield choppers, and pop ups !! Pitching seem very well done, and I've had good pitch counts. Seems pretty nice.

# 34 GzGViper @ 02/28/12 06:32 PM
Pros:
- Variety of hits
- New pitch break system making high/back door pitches break less.
- Graphics are looking good
- Stat breakdowns during game
- Realistic pitch counts
- Plays a good game of baseball for the most part.

Cons:
- That god awful default batting camera
- Outfielder throwing animation is horrid. Looks like Lincecum throwing in the outfield.
- Auto fielding throwing stutters
- CPU tips off that they're throwing a pitchout.
- Pitches don't seem to show break enough. (Could be caused by slow pitch speed + that awful hitting camera)

There's probably other things, but this is it so far.

# 35 jorge380 @ 02/28/12 06:47 PM
It plays a pretty good game of Baseball.I really like some of the new real-time presentations.

# 36 ozcore @ 02/28/12 06:57 PM
im in the ps store but i can't see the demo. anything I'm missing?

# 37 jfazyankees @ 02/28/12 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozcore
im in the ps store but i can't see the demo. anything I'm missing?
Playstation Store hasn't updated yet.

# 38 econoodle @ 02/28/12 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfazyankees
Playstation Store hasn't updated yet.

yes it has.
you have to use the search engine in psn to locate it.

896 mb is the file size just so u know.

very early impression on the lighting.
i dont know if the y did anything to it, but if my eyes aren't failing, it looks improved.
i am going to dive into several 3 inning run-throughs then give deeper than jack handey thoughts.

# 39 Blitzburgh @ 02/28/12 07:12 PM
360- once again the game is fun and I agree with what most of you are saying. You definitely cant judge this game based on this demo with the best commentary in the business missing IMO. The pitching is very solid and improved with the new overlays and strategy. When it comes down to it, this game is actually more sim than you think with the added pitching info and the way the AI simulates abusing pitches. I think 2k really hit something big with this. The new fielding animations and throw meter is awesome! There is now a risk/reward for throwing on the run versus setting your feet. Again another cool innovative feature in my book.

Where the game continues to struggle is graphically, little stutter on foul balls, and post play animations really need work still. This is where the other game is very strong. With that being said I will take fun over pretty again this year.

I'm really looking forward to the MLB today season feature since my time is very limited and I don't play online much anymore.

Hopefully we will see a 2k13 and they will continue to add and fine tune animations and give us a complete graphical upgrade. If they do that and keep the game fun to play they will be back in the race. Until it gets prettier it will only detract from the casual fan who looks at the back of box.

# 40 Skyboxer @ 02/28/12 07:24 PM
I was able to easily check swing with the analog batting but no luck witht the classic swinging. Going to play a few more games...

Really really wish theyd release full game demos so we could look at a least some of the managerial decisions the CPU would make.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.