Home
MLB 2K12 News Post

The MLB 2K12 demo is available now. Play a few games and post your impressions here.

Read the full press release below.

2K Sports Announces Major League Baseball 2K12 Demo
Now Available on Xbox LIVE Marketplace and PlayStation Network

Features Texas Rangers against St. Louis Cardinals in
rematch of 2011 World Series

New York, NY – February 28, 2012 – 2K Sports today announced that a free demo of Major League Baseball® 2K12 is now available on the Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and the PlayStation®Network for PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.

The demo allows players to relive 2011’s thrilling, back-and-forth World Series and play three innings as the Texas Rangers or St. Louis Cardinals. In addition, it showcases many of MLB 2K12’s improved features, including the dynamic tendencies system that adjusts pitcher and batter ratings as the game unfolds; a revamped throwing system; and a new hit distribution system with more varied and realistic hit types.

This year’s edition of MLB 2K will allow players to experience the authenticity and excitement of a real baseball game, and also a chance to win $1,000,000. The Perfect Game Challenge returns for the third consecutive year with MLB 2K12, and is bigger than ever. The new format will utilize a dynamic leaderboard that ranks the top eight perfect games thrown. At the end of the competition, the top eight competitors will face each other in a live $1 million tournament.

MLB 2K12 is rated E for everyone by the ESRB and will be available March 6, 2012 for Xbox 360, PlayStation®3, Wii™ system, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, Nintendo DS™ and Windows PC.

Major League Baseball 2K12  screenshot gallery - Click to view Major League Baseball 2K12  screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Major League Baseball 2K12 Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 12 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 BA2929 @ 02/29/12 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvman
I let the demo play out and just watched, Feliz vs Westbrook.

Game played out pretty well, there were a few pinch running subs etc. everything seemed fine. It gets into the 8th inning and Feiz is still pitching, comes up to bat makes an out then the next inning Lowe is in to pitch It appears as though they haven't fixed that.
8th inning? They tied from the 4th on?

I never went past the 3rd in any of my games, but then again I was destroying the CPU. Too bad the default difficulty is PRO on these demos. Can't really seem to get a feel for how the CPU will play on PRO.

# 122 archangelkatana @ 02/29/12 04:54 PM
as far as innings, if you have a lead after the 3rd inning then the demo ends, if the game is tied it will go until someone has the lead. The game is similar to last year, but I did see some good defensive plays as furcal went past second base, and flipped it back behind his back to descalso to start a double play against me. I thought that was a nice looking play done by the computer. I did hit a homer with beltran in my first game. Carpenter was very tough to hit off of for me, even using the rangers. Carpenter seemed to work much faster against me than the computer did when using colby lewis against me. I am looking forward to the mlb season very much, and will pick up mlb2k. Just not sure if I will pick it up immediately or later in the year. The million dollar challenge is really cool, and I wish I was good enough at video games to actually win it. But considering they have paid it out twice in a row, it is real. I don't see any other companies offering rewards for being good at their game. Honestly it is probably the one video game that could make a huge impact on your economic situation. I look at it like a 60 dollar lottery ticket. And even if you dont win the game is still fun enough for me to buy. I hope the game is improved over all. I have enjoyed the last two years, but then again I have never played the show since I have the 360. 2ksports has always put out quality games in my opinion, and the inseason updates they do for sports games are really great, especially since they let their users create rosters and such to keep older games like college hoops 2k8 alive and kicking. Whereas the competition seems to abandon old games and make them pretty much useless after one year. I even picked up a copy of espn 2k5, and all pro football 2k8 the other day for a couple dollars, and I enjoyed them even now on my 360.

# 123 rudyjuly2 @ 02/29/12 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp121272
I was surprised Yu Darvish was not on the Rangers. Maybe he'll be in the final version.
I don't think any player can be included in the game until they have played one MLB game. Darvish probably won't be on the Rangers roster until the first roster update after game one.

One other thing that's always annoyed me is the confidence level of the pitcher. They get rattled a little too easily on default and when they do its like they completely fall apart making it very hard to pitch. I'd rather it be more subtle. Furthermore, when you hit Select to make a visit to the mound the confidence shouldn't be fully restored either. This is three years in a row that a visit to the mound calms the pitcher down 100% as though the pitching coach pulled a magic trick.

# 124 nemesis04 @ 02/29/12 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
One other thing that's always annoyed me is the confidence level of the pitcher. They get rattled a little too easily on default and when they do its like they completely fall apart making it very hard to pitch. I'd rather it be more subtle. Furthermore, when you hit Select to make a visit to the mound the confidence shouldn't be fully restored either. This is three years in a row that a visit to the mound calms the pitcher down 100% as though the pitching coach pulled a magic trick.
That whole scenario from the cut scene all the way to the end result of it affecting stamina/fatigue needs to be blown up and redone! You should not even have a choice on which element it affects at all.

# 125 DaveDQ @ 02/29/12 05:15 PM
Quote:
I said my piece earlier about that penalty business for using pitches, and I just don't think it belongs in any baseball game.
I see what they are after though and I like it. If you have a pitcher that has a mean curve and fastball and he can't get his curve working, he's in trouble. I like that aspect of it. It really makes you concentrate on nailing your pitches.

# 126 foofighter2455 @ 02/29/12 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
8th inning? They tied from the 4th on?

I never went past the 3rd in any of my games, but then again I was destroying the CPU. Too bad the default difficulty is PRO on these demos. Can't really seem to get a feel for how the CPU will play on PRO.
You can change the difficulty by changing it for your default on your xbox console. There is a menu off of the guide button where you can set your default difficulty and ramp it up. In last year's demo I set it to the hardest and the CPU was unreal.

# 127 Cavicchi @ 02/29/12 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
I see what they are after though and I like it. If you have a pitcher that has a mean curve and fastball and he can't get his curve working, he's in trouble. I like that aspect of it. It really makes you concentrate on nailing your pitches.
Listen, if the curveball isn't working, or any other pitch, the pitcher/user will know, don't you think?

# 128 tvman @ 02/29/12 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhslancers
I am so glad that I have a PS3.
I am so glad that i have a wife, dog and cold beer in my fridge.

# 129 Cavicchi @ 02/29/12 05:44 PM
Quote:
I'm even happier with both a PS3 and Xbox 360

# 130 tvman @ 02/29/12 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter2455
You can change the difficulty by changing it for your default on your xbox console. There is a menu off of the guide button where you can set your default difficulty and ramp it up. In last year's demo I set it to the hardest and the CPU was unreal.
Could you explain that in more detail, thanks.

# 131 Cavicchi @ 02/29/12 05:46 PM
Quote:
Could you explain that in more detail, thanks.
On 360 go into your profile on the dash, then game defaults, and then choose Easy, Normal, or Hard.

# 132 tvman @ 02/29/12 05:47 PM
Thank You.

# 133 Cavicchi @ 02/29/12 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liftheavy
Is changing difficult possible on ps3?
I have it downloaded to my 360 so not sure, but check Game Settings or something like that and see if there are choices for difficulty. Perhaps someone else who has a PS3 knows?

# 134 WTF @ 02/29/12 06:40 PM
Quote:
You should probably let the wife and dog out of the fridge.

# 135 rudyjuly2 @ 02/29/12 07:00 PM
Quote:
I have it downloaded to my 360 so not sure, but check Game Settings or something like that and see if there are choices for difficulty. Perhaps someone else who has a PS3 knows?
I remember this conversation last year and I believe this is an option only available on the 360.

# 136 DaveDQ @ 02/29/12 07:28 PM
Quote:
Listen, if the curveball isn't working, or any other pitch, the pitcher/user will know, don't you think?
I don't think you have that element there in a videogame where you "know" that pitch isn't necessarily working. What this does is add the challenge of correcting it and working on it. it's sort of like a catcher's feedback.

# 137 lnin0 @ 02/29/12 07:28 PM
I like that you can now see your base runners speed on the pause menu

Noticeably better camera angles on replays

Still hate the day time lighting. I swear if they just hired someone that new how to do current gen lighting, and made no other changes to the graphics, nobody would be talking about 'last gen' graphics. As is, the lighting is so f'ed up that Wainwright's hat looks cell shaded.

Animation look good this year and I saw some new stuff but no rewind in demo

Improved hit variety - which was already pretty good

Love the new pitching features but hate all the added flash to display them. I hope I can turn off all the colors, spinning numbers and pop out flags. Same for all the 'strike zone', pitch reads and junk that clutters the batting view. Hopefully they didn't screw up the options to disable this crap for a cleaner look. It is also much more fun to me when you know these things are happening behind the scene but you don't have a big HUD giving you all the clues. If I abuse certain pitches then that should be on me to realize - not on me to watch for a color change.

Blur effect over the crowd is nice way to hide some of the seams

My catcher caught a pop up behind home plate

My 1B got a ball lined at his head and the best he could do was knock it down. The pitcher had to try and make the play.

Throwing is no longer a given with the new meter. I like.

The missed pitch animation where the batter falls forward and almost down is ridiculous....and yes...maybe I was swinging way to early but it still looks silly.

# 138 liberaluser @ 02/29/12 07:34 PM
I finally realized what bothers me so much about the color-coded pitch abuse system! Instead of being it's own thing, your pitch ratio should be factored into the pitch rating numbers your given depending on how the batter does against you.

So for example, if your playing perfectly by abusing one pitch, your rating should stay high, period. Maybe a small penalty on how high the rating is but nothing serious.

The risk comes into play when the batter DOES hit the ball cleanly. Your overused pitch would take a huge hit in it's ratings, much bigger reduction than if it was a regular batted hit.

This system would require more strategy since it's up to the pitcher how much he wants to use mix-ups or play risky and possibly lose a main part of his arsenal for a while.

# 139 rckabillyRaider @ 02/29/12 09:10 PM
Playing on ps3. I like it overall. I like the auto fielding option, though as others mentioned I don't like that they pause for a second before throwing the ball. That causes the runners to be safe on close plays. Also don't like the camera angle. Didn't buy last year's version so I'm not sure if we can change the angle in the full game. The animations don't fell silky smooth, but it doesn't take away from the overall feel of the game. Not bad.

# 140 AllJuicedUp @ 02/29/12 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberaluser
I finally realized what bothers me so much about the color-coded pitch abuse system! Instead of being it's own thing, your pitch ratio should be factored into the pitch rating numbers your given depending on how the batter does against you.

So for example, if your playing perfectly by abusing one pitch, your rating should stay high, period. Maybe a small penalty on how high the rating is but nothing serious.

The risk comes into play when the batter DOES hit the ball cleanly. Your overused pitch would take a huge hit in it's ratings, much bigger reduction than if it was a regular batted hit.

This system would require more strategy since it's up to the pitcher how much he wants to use mix-ups or play risky and possibly lose a main part of his arsenal for a while.
I think the point is, outside of someone like Rivera, a pitcher can't throw the same pitch over and over again or it will start to get hit hard because batters will start to sit on it. To me, the decreased rating essentially means that the batter is now looking and waiting for that pitch.

The pitch doesn't magically become worse BECAUSE it gets hit hard, it gets hit hard BECAUSE it becomes predictable (simulated in the game by making it worse)

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.