Home
News Post

Here are some quick impressions of the three main modes in MLB 12:The Show: the new Diamond Dynasty, the always deep Franchise and the dynamic Road to the Show.

Read More - MLB '12: The Show Modes Impressions

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Pared @ 03/14/12 12:33 PM
Not one mention of the new layouts and stats displays in franchise. That's disappointing.

# 2 malky @ 03/14/12 12:53 PM
My first year with the show and the franchise is deep! Need a few cosmetic adjustments but other than that franchise mode will take my life lol

# 3 DickDalewood @ 03/14/12 12:57 PM
I'm also a little surpised there isn't any mention of the game start time issue, as much as it's been discussed.

# 4 kennyacid @ 03/14/12 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Not one mention of the new layouts and stats displays in franchise. That's disappointing.
That stuff really adds to franchise alot. I sometimes get to caught up looking at the scores from other games lol

# 5 CPRoark @ 03/14/12 01:15 PM
Quote:
I guess I did forget to mention that stuff, but wasn't the ticker new last year? I was focusing on the stuff the devs were hyping as new.

# 6 Pared @ 03/14/12 01:18 PM
I meant the in-game updates and the franchise mode menus.

In terms of in-game updates, there are more things shown presentation wise that you wouldn't see in Exhibition games when you are actually playing. This, to me, is an often overlooked aspect of a "Franchise Mode."

As for the menus, they follow league leaders in many varying stat categories as well as standings and the wild card race in September all in a quick little menu. They are also all scrollable so you can access a lot of stats in one simple location. People complained about stats last year and that's the primary focus when you are the main menu of your franchise.

Edit - I should add that I'm not downplaying your points - I just think it's such a noticeable addition this year that one would mention it almost immediately.

# 7 CPRoark @ 03/14/12 01:35 PM
Quote:
I meant the in-game updates and the franchise mode menus.

In terms of in-game updates, there are more things shown presentation wise that you wouldn't see in Exhibition games when you are actually playing. This, to me, is an often overlooked aspect of a "Franchise Mode."

As for the menus, they follow league leaders in many varying stat categories as well as standings and the wild card race in September all in a quick little menu. They are also all scrollable so you can access a lot of stats in one simple location. People complained about stats last year and that's the primary focus when you are the main menu of your franchise.

Edit - I should add that I'm not downplaying your points - I just think it's such a noticeable addition this year that one would mention it almost immediately.
Gotcha. I made a brief mention of these things in the upcoming review. When I was working this weekend, I think I just overlooked that aspect of Franchise in an effort to cover the highly touted features. I'm not the biggest stat guy in the world either, so the differences might not have jumped out as much for me. Plus, I was cramming in as many games amongst the three modes as I could!

Not trying to make excuses, and I'm glad you pointed those features out--for me and our readers.

That said, I should add that like kenny, I've been caught looking while taking in the in-game stats at the bottom.

# 8 Armor and Sword @ 03/14/12 02:09 PM
I can't wait to start my Franchise to expereince all the new franchise commentary. I also will take a more active role in playing some minor league games (like i used to in MVP 2005). I will still leave travel, marketing, rehab, stadium upgrades, and player training set to auto. I like to only handle scouting, front office/GM duties and coaching moves. I am not an "owner mode" kinda guy. Front office and playing is my thing.

# 9 ty5oke @ 03/14/12 10:09 PM
The stat overlays during franchise has been a huge addition for me. I saw one yesterday that showed my team's leaders in 2B for the year, so far I've seen some good variety in the 5 or so random franchise games I've played. I also like that when the batter goes up to bat, it will show their stats highlighted with a rank if they are near the top of the league leaders and also Matt V usually says something about it.

# 10 supermanemblem @ 03/14/12 10:46 PM
2K still eats their lunch with in-game stats. A player's batting average on specific counts is incredible. It's one if the few areas it outshines MLB. I'm trying to get used to the vita before the opening day rosters hit. I may be able to finish a season for the first time in three years.

# 11 Meatfish87 @ 03/15/12 04:30 PM
Thought this was a fair article. Well written.

# 12 coach422001 @ 03/17/12 11:30 AM
Some noob questions as I don't have a PS3 yet but may go for it and this game:
1. Can you play CPU v CPU (i.e., spectate or "manager" mode) in Franchise?
2. I thought I had read somewhere that there can be an issue with team budgets not rising well enough for clubs to keep big money players as you move into later seasons. Any truth to this issue?
3. Reading one comment above, do you generate income that impacts your bottom line and ability to sign players or improve your stadium from season to season in a game like this? I'm not expecting a console game to be as deep as OOTP financially but I enjoy games where your on field performance increases the chance of increased revenue which may increase you opportunities to sign players etc. vs. receiving a static "here's your budget" from the owner, no matter how much or how little the club makes.

Thanks for your patience with these questions and any help you can provide.

# 13 pistonpete @ 03/19/12 07:03 AM
personally i wish the show would take a more minimalistic approach to overlays and stats. i'd like the option to remove some of that junk from the screen. it gets in the way at times.

# 14 nomo17k @ 03/19/12 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coach422001
Some noob questions as I don't have a PS3 yet but may go for it and this game:
1. Can you play CPU v CPU (i.e., spectate or "manager" mode) in Franchise?
2. I thought I had read somewhere that there can be an issue with team budgets not rising well enough for clubs to keep big money players as you move into later seasons. Any truth to this issue?
3. Reading one comment above, do you generate income that impacts your bottom line and ability to sign players or improve your stadium from season to season in a game like this? I'm not expecting a console game to be as deep as OOTP financially but I enjoy games where your on field performance increases the chance of increased revenue which may increase you opportunities to sign players etc. vs. receiving a static "here's your budget" from the owner, no matter how much or how little the club makes.

Thanks for your patience with these questions and any help you can provide.
I know (1) is possible, and the issue on (2) has been worked on and it no longer appears a problem in this year's game. Not too sure about (3) myself. You might want to try asking in the Q&A thread stickied in the forum... Your questions may not get as much attention if asked in a wrong thread:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-q-thread.html

# 15 coach422001 @ 03/19/12 06:06 PM
Thanks for the answers. I will check out the Q&A thread too. So far what I'm hearing sounds good.
Thanks again,
coach

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.