Home
NCAA Football 13 News Post

Quote:
In the past, our team would watch hours upon hours of games that Nessler and Herbstreit called on television, writing lines of scripted commentary that were meant to be in the voice of our talent. We’ve realized that no matter how much tape you watch we were never going to be able to predict how Nessler, and specifically Herbstreit as an analyst, will react and call a situation as it unfolds on the field. Scripting for the two takes away their ability to put events into their own words and provide personal inflections—a key component to capturing a true broadcast sound.

It is because of this that NCAA Football 13 will mark the first year that we’ve moved away from attempting to write scripts for our talent. The process now involves working in the studio with the talent to paint a picture of the game situation and allow them tell the story in their own words. We want both Brad and Kirk to feel like they are in a booth on a Saturday night, and even pump in crowd noise and fight songs into their headphones to get them into the moment.

Quote:
The last surprise for lighting and rendering that I have for you is motion blur. This is a feature that we’ve wanted to develop for several cycles, and now we’ve finally been able to include it for you. The addition of motion blur has helped the representation of the animation feel more natural, in addition to the new animations and hard work the team has put into game play. As our players or cameras move through space rapidly, you’ll notice the edge of the player softens as well as the surrounding textures.

Quote:
The same technology used by the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR team to scan Augusta National for the inclusion of The Masters in that game series is also being used in NCAA Football 13 this year to capture the intricate details of some of the brand-new stadiums for FBS play this coming fall; in particular, the new home fields for Florida Atlantic University and North Texas have both been scanned into this year’s game as incredibly faithful virtual reproductions of the real thing. The level of detail for these new stadiums is jaw-dropping, and I can imagine people using FAU and North Texas just to get a highly-accurate digital preview of the new venues before the season starts.
Check out some of the audio snippets below.

Game: NCAA Football 13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 60 - View All
NCAA Football 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 HoundsOfHowl @ 04/02/12 08:26 PM
Game is a buy for me, always get it at midnight, but I definitely see this topping 2012...Just wish they would release all info quick (know it can't happen but still don't hurt to wish) and july 10 needs to hurry.

# 2 T-Moar @ 04/02/12 08:30 PM
Is it just me, or do the faces in that Iowa picture look an awful lot like PES?

# 3 I3RIS3H @ 04/02/12 08:44 PM
I'll wait until the game play video and see what the devs have addressed, then make a decision on whether to try it out or not.

# 4 TreyIM2 @ 04/02/12 08:48 PM
I think the audio clips sound pretty good. Wanna see how all the sounds come together and if they are more natural. I wanted to hear about crowds building emotion as a player is, say, running back a long, TD kickoff return...
Progressive lighting, finally??? YES. The blur effect is a nice touch but that vid just reminded me of the robotic running and movement I wish could be long gone as well as lack of real velocity, momentum and collision. I expect to see this improved by their second iteration on next gen.

Anyway, overall, I'm on the 'eh' side of things, thus far, but I'm eager for the rest of these "playbooks".

# 5 Bad_Intentions @ 04/02/12 08:52 PM
Not even remotely interested until I see some if some of the gameplay issues have been addressed. This is like them pimping the "3d grass" and custom entrances last year....I'm not going to pay much attention to the fluff...

# 6 Spanky @ 04/02/12 08:54 PM
After last year's abomination, a pure, unmitigated disaster of Biblical proportions, I will wait for multiple credible reviews and feedback before deciding.

# 7 SteelerSpartan @ 04/02/12 09:04 PM
We need to start a petition right now to not let Ben do any games with FSU or Oklahoma in the upcoming gameplay blog..........

Ive seen/heard him talk about Chief Osceola and Boomer Sooner enough to last me a lifetime.....much more and my heads going to explode

# 8 Retropyro @ 04/02/12 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Intentions
Not even remotely interested until I see some if some of the gameplay issues have been addressed. This is like them pimping the "3d grass" and custom entrances last year....I'm not going to pay much attention to the fluff...
+ 1 to that.

# 9 davep @ 04/02/12 09:26 PM
Meh...I know they're trying hard but every year they talk up the little things which you barely notice when you're playing the game.

# 10 LambertandHam @ 04/02/12 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
I think the audio clips sound pretty good. Wanna see how all the sounds come together and if they are more natural. I wanted to hear about crowds building emotion as a player is, say, running back a long, TD kickoff return...
I agree. Crowd chanting is fine, but I want the home crowd to be "in the game" and going nuts when I break a 50 yard TD run.

# 11 gogators @ 04/02/12 10:09 PM
Not touching on situational crowd noise is a fail in this blog. Especially after the blog that highlighted it last year and it didn't even work. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

# 12 SteelerSpartan @ 04/02/12 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by t2jBird
I'm curious to see what the announcement is about the dynasty commentary.. What could it be?
could be some Studio Updates from Reece Davis.....

Im hoping for Brent coming in to do the Primetime Games with Kirk

# 13 edaddy @ 04/02/12 10:26 PM
Was there any mention of new camera angles at aLL?..or is the wrong blog for it.

# 14 aerovt @ 04/02/12 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by t2jBird
I'm curious to see what the announcement is about the dynasty commentary.. What could it be?
They probably added a few new commentary lines or something. They've said things like this before and added ~10 sayings that had vastly different audio quality than the rest of the comments.

I find 2 things interesting about this. 1) They're still focusing on static entrances 2) All of their 'great new features' they admit they took from other games (parachuting entrance from BF3, dynamic lighting and motion blur from fifa I think they said).

Its great that we get these things, but anyone else find it amusing that other EA games never need to borrow innovations from NCAA/Madden? Just a one way street eh

Edit - sorry if I sound jaded. '12 just really bothered me more than previous iterations such that I'm finding it really hard to get excited about anything they say

# 15 T-Moar @ 04/02/12 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan
could be some Studio Updates from Reece Davis.....
For the love of God, let it be this, and let it be done well.

# 16 roadman @ 04/02/12 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovt
They probably added a few new commentary lines or something. They've said things like this before and added ~10 sayings that had vastly different audio quality than the rest of the comments.

I find 2 things interesting about this. 1) They're still focusing on static entrances 2) All of their 'great new features' they admit they took from other games (parachuting entrance from BF3, dynamic lighting and motion blur from fifa I think they said).

Its great that we get these things, but anyone else find it amusing that other EA games never need to borrow innovations from NCAA/Madden? Just a one way street eh

Edit - sorry if I sound jaded. '12 just really bothered me more than previous iterations such that I'm finding it really hard to get excited about anything they say
No, I feel the same way, traded in NCAA way earlier than normal last year, but I will say if these borrowing techniques help out in advancing NCAA where it needs to be, why should I care where it came from?

# 17 Meast21Forever @ 04/02/12 10:54 PM
I'm glad this crap is coming out in April. If we were getting this as 'hype up' material in late May or June, I'd be pissed.

Sorry EA. Not gunna get excited about you making things blurry or adding in a few more schools intros that I never play with/against.

(Anyone catch the same ****ty dreads? God...)

# 18 aerovt @ 04/02/12 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
No, I feel the same way, traded in NCAA way earlier than normal last year, but I will say if these borrowing techniques help out in advancing NCAA where it needs to be, why should I care where it came from?
I hear you. As I said, Im glad they're doing it to help the game. I just find it interesting all their advancements are basically just trying to catch up with other games. And when you consider that graphics have typically been NCAA's 'strong' suit this generation... sigh

# 19 SageInfinite @ 04/02/12 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Maybe I am just too optimistic but I really don't get why more people aren't heartened by what little we saw today. Personally, considering the fact about EA having shared technology among it's games and them mentioning EAC (EA Canada) quite a few times, I am really itching for gameplay on April 17th.
I'm only itching for the gameplay blog because what they showed today was so uninspiring(besides the commentary, which I still have to hear in-game).

# 20 metallidevils @ 04/02/12 11:30 PM
Every year they always spend seemingly too much time on the stadiums. They're good enough already. Except of course how jagged they always look.

I am glad they are working on the audio. I fear that although they are making the crowd sound more 'realistic', my biggest issue was how they (and the commentators) reacted to in-game situations. The crowd could not tell the difference between a big play in a close game vs an inconsequential 'big play' in a blowout game.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.