Home
NCAA Football 13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game: NCAA Football 13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 60 - View All
NCAA Football 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Phobia @ 04/17/12 04:44 PM
Ok, I know I might sound like a broken record on this but honestly........what looks new in any of that video other than the new catch animations & shovel pass???

I watched it over and over again. Lets break it down by each bullet point.

New Pump Fake - Hummmmm the last one didn't work worth a crap and just adding a new "look" to it hardly improves the gameplay

Shovel Pass - New addition and honestly glad it is in. While not something that would see a ton of use it still opens up more options which is always a plus.

New Drop Backs 3, 5, and 7 - I am glad this was added. But this is not "new", they had the quick drop and the long drop in last years game. The quick slant plays had the quick step back and the deeper routes had the long drop.

Playaction abort fake - Again this is a feature which does not work correctly to begin with so just adding stuff to a non-working feature is hardly a improvement. It is still a good addition but minor in the grand scheme of gameplay things.

Playaction pick up blitz - Another feature which has always been in the game just worked in many different ways. More often your Hb would be tackled thus "taking out a defender" other times they would pick up a defender to block. This is nothing special to me.

Throw on run animations - The animation they showed look no differently than last years. Maybe there is more but the one they showed is not much of a "addition". Hell even if there is a ton of new looks, how does this improve the funky gameplay.

Multiple Pass Trajectories - Maybe I am blind but the video did not look impressive or hugely different than last years. The deep pass looked the same and the short route over the middle looked no different than a medium touch pass. Another touted feature that I think will disappoint.

Receiver Route Awareness - This part really confused the hell out of me. It highlights the left and right WR. Left it was "WR not looking", right "WR looking". Then the QB throws to the left WR who is supposedly "not looking" yet he reacts and catches ball as normal EA football does. Also the corner on the lower right of this play completely just runs down to empty space yet again taking his self out of the play and doing nothing. Also watch the MLB on this play, it really looks like he does that warp speed slide. All in all this video clips looks identical to 2012.

430 New Catch animations - I like this, one thing the game needs is tons and tons of catch animations. They need to trigger correctly. This is a improvement I will admit.

Enhanced Option Pitch - Yet again what looks any differently???? I am truly lost here. It is like they are just picking things to say we improved on and the end result must be so minor it is hard to see what was changed or corrected.

Improved Punt Coverage - Hard to tell how quick this clip was. But if done right this will be a improvement that is needed. On this play you can also see the "just let go block animation" is still present and will result in many bad plays on the O-line because of it. This animation needs to be removed, it does not look in any way realistic that the defender swims around the defender.

Read and React Defenders - This is not going to be truthful in my opinion. There is a couple clips in the video that show this as "suspect". Hopefully I am wrong, but I believe it will fall short to what we would like to see.

Overview
Basically from those quick clips we have NCAA 12 with more catch animations, read and react defenders, new shovel pass, and better punt coverage. This is titled "gameplay" trailer and hardly any of these bullet points are good improvements to the overall gameplay. Several clips you still see the same lineplay and funky sliding that was been prevalent this generation.

Sadly nothing that impressive.

# 22 RGiles36 @ 04/17/12 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Cool beans.

# 23 Phobia @ 04/17/12 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Cool beans.
Might not agree, but if I record some footage when it comes out and I don't put what year product I am playing you will struggle to notice which version it is. Just the truth. Some people don't mind spending 60 every year for the minor improvements and roster update. I personally have grown upset and tired of lack of innovation and advancement in the franchise

# 24 da ThRONe @ 04/17/12 04:55 PM
Quote:
Ok, I know I might sound like a broken record on this but honestly........what looks new in any of that video other than the new catch animations & shovel pass???

New Pump Fake - Hummmmm the last one didn't work worth a crap and just adding a new "look" to it hardly improves the gameplay

Shovel Pass - New addition and honestly glad it is in. While not something that would see a ton of use it still opens up more options which is always a plus.

New Drop Backs 3, 5, and 7 - I am glad this was added. But this is not "new", they had the quick drop and the long drop in last years game. The quick slant plays had the quick step back and the deeper routes had the long drop.

Playaction abort fake - Again this is a feature which does not work correctly to begin with so just adding stuff to a non-working feature is hardly a improvement. It is still a good addition but minor in the grand scheme of gameplay things.

Playaction pick up blitz - Another feature which has always been in the game just worked in many different ways. More often your Hb would be tackled thus "taking out a defender" other times they would pick up a defender to block. This is nothing special to me.

Throw on run animations - The animation they showed look no differently than last years. Maybe there is more but the one they showed is not much of a "addition". Hell even if there is a ton of new looks, how does this improve the funky gameplay.

Multiple Pass Trajectories - Maybe I am blind but the video did not look impressive or hugely different than last years. The deep pass looked the same and the short route over the middle looked no different than a medium touch pass. Another touted feature that I think will disappoint.

Receiver Route Awareness - This part really confused the hell out of me. It highlights the left and right WR. Left it was "WR not looking", right "WR looking". Then the QB throws to the left WR who is supposedly "not looking" yet he reacts and catches ball as normal EA football does. Also the corner on the lower right of this play completely just runs down to empty space yet again taking his self out of the play and doing nothing. Also watch the MLB on this play, it really looks like he does that warp speed slide. All in all this video clips looks identical to 2012.

430 New Catch animations - I like this, one thing the game needs is tons and tons of catch animations. They need to trigger correctly. This is a improvement I will admit.

Enhanced Option Pitch - Yet again what looks any differently???? I am truly lost here. It is like they are just picking things to say we improved on and the end result must be so minor it is hard to see what was changed or corrected.

Improved Punt Coverage - Hard to tell how quick this clip was. But if done right this will be a improvement that is needed. On this play you can also see the "just let go block animation" is still present and will result in many bad plays on the O-line because of it. This animation needs to be removed, it does not look in any way realistic that the defender swims around the defender.

Read and React Defenders - This is not going to be truthful in my opinion. There is a couple clips in the video that show this as "suspect". Hopefully I am wrong, but I believe it will fall short to what we would like to see.

Overview
Basically from those quick clips we have NCAA 12 with more catch animations, read and react defenders, new shovel pass, and better punt coverage. This is titled "gameplay" trailer and hardly any of these bullet points are good improvements to the overall gameplay. Several clips you still see the same lineplay and funky sliding that was been prevalent this generation.

I can understand you. However I would much rather them fit everything that's in the game that's unrealistic or broken over them adding new stuff.

# 25 jkra0512 @ 04/17/12 05:02 PM
Didn't EA tout the WR/DB looking back for the ball like 2-3 years ago and it never materialized? I'll believe it when I rent it, I'm not buying this game blindly like in years past.

# 26 Phobia @ 04/17/12 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
I can understand you. However I would much rather them fit everything that's in the game that's unrealistic or broken over them adding new stuff.
That is my point I 200% agree with you. So why is running and sliding still present? Why is the lineplay still horrible? Where is WR/DB interactions? I could go on and on.... etc etc

They have added more "minor" changes than worked on the bigger issues. Now I will agree the read and react is a huge improvement if it works as it is supposed to. This is one big change for gameplay that is hugely needed. So is the 400+ catch animations (if they trigger properly, this has always been another issue).

Sadly though new pump fake, new pitch, and some of the other minor changes are not going to greatly affect how the game played compared to last years.

So I agree completely with you Throne. I just don't see any bullet points OR video evidence that will make this game play much different compared to 2012

# 27 carvis#15 @ 04/17/12 05:04 PM
If you didn't get to watch the playbook # 2 about gameplay on EA sports then you should watch it. 430 new catching animation means a lot. The defense it alot better. They put best on best so in a zone when a reciever goes in motion the CB follows him and switches zones with the line backer. It's truly great. They also showed how you can hide your coverages better. They have something called a touch pass also where you can fit the ball into the hole of the zone. Not only is it 430 new catching animation but that switches over to the DB swatting animations as well. Not 430...at least they didn't say but they said there are numerous amounts of DB ball plays. During the gameplay video they also said that it was a work in progress. I hope they will do something to the running animations. Special teams was also tuned. Players actually stay in their lanes for special teams...just stay tuned for the dynasty video for may the 7th.

# 28 RynoAid @ 04/17/12 05:05 PM
i've compiled all the slides from the presentation here.

http://traditionsportsonline.com/nca...ncement-reveal

# 29 carvis#15 @ 04/17/12 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunsy34
I hope you can throw it to a receiver whenever you want it just sails by them or they drop it. QB's throw to WR's when they are about to get sacked just to get rid of the ball I dont wanna be hitting X to throw the ball but get sacked cause the icon wasnt up and my WR wasnt looking.
Yea they said you can switch to the receiver and go for the ball if you throw it while he isn't looking. They also tuned the WR control so that you won't over run the route while trying to go for the ball.

# 30 da ThRONe @ 04/17/12 05:09 PM
Quote:
That is my point I 200% agree with you. So why is running and sliding still present? Why is the lineplay still horrible? Where is WR/DB interactions? I could go on and on.... etc etc

They have added more "minor" changes than worked on the bigger issues. Now I will agree the read and react is a huge improvement if it works as it is supposed to. This is one big change for gameplay that is hugely needed. So is the 400+ catch animations (if they trigger properly, this has always been another issue).

Sadly though new pump fake, new pitch, and some of the other minor changes are not going to greatly affect how the game played compared to last years.

So I agree completely with you Throne. I just don't see any bullet points OR video evidence that will make this game play much different compared to 2012
OK I misunderstood your post. We do agree 200%. And I do believe more should have been accomplished than what was shown/released. It's is underwhelming. It appears that EA has dig themselves a huge hole and now are too far behind, but at least they are climbing out not digging themselves deeper. So I give them credit for that.

# 31 schnaidt1 @ 04/17/12 05:13 PM
not impressed....the qb drop backs and throwing animations look awful....the footwork is horrible....

and i cant stress how horrible the qb throwing animations looks.

other player movements still look very robotic...

and they can do all they want with passing....but passing will still be bland. why??

now if a player "isnt looking" according to the cpu, you cant even throw the ball there way...

who's idea was that? that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard of....

1. watch a game...at any level...qbs and wr's have miscommunications on routes all the time. alot of balls are thrown towards a player who ISNT LOOKING.

2. not to mention the idea you cant pass them the ball unless they are looking just confirms that they are ignoring the communities plea for route based passing!! come on...all pro 2k8 had it....and its wonderful...

i just cant help but feeling like we are still getting the snikkle fritz......well freakin A i want the Pineapple express already!!!

# 32 carvis#15 @ 04/17/12 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmallwood
Color me not impressed thus far. Are they really promoting a 3,5, and 7 step drop as a new gameplay enhancement 8 years into next gen??? Wow. That's all I can say. I'll keep looking for more but for now, nothing even looks that different from all the other "sizzle" trailers.
go to EA sports.com and watch the playbook #2 video...it's over an hour long about the gameplay.

# 33 pietasterp @ 04/17/12 05:15 PM
Don't believe the hype. If those are the major things they are promoting, advances that are miniscule at best, and assuming that 20-30% of the new features don't work as advertised (as has been their history), that leaves a game that's little more than a roster update.

# 34 carvis#15 @ 04/17/12 05:16 PM
Quote:

Overview

Hey did you go to easports.com and watch the over hour long video about the gameplay?

# 35 bigbob @ 04/17/12 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianDonP
On second look, my excitement is a little tempered. I just noticed that the receiver still does that over the shoulder animation even though the situation didn't call for it.
That, unfortunately, is the one thing I noticed as well.

Other then that, I will say the gameplay looks a lot better but I'll wait until I get a hands on at GameStop before I give a real judgement this year.

# 36 Phobia @ 04/17/12 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvis#15
Hey did you go to easports.com and watch the over hour long video about the gameplay?
Watching now.

# 37 pirates946 @ 04/17/12 05:27 PM
Looked pretty good to me. Still playing NCAA 12 non stop and I am very excited about the new catch animations. I am excited aboutTouch passes and shovel passes too. I like it!

# 38 Phobia @ 04/17/12 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvis#15
Ok so far all I am seeing is typical community day conference room break down on the changes. If you ever been to a community day this is typically how it is broken down and highlights the changes and improvements. Again it is a lot of marketing.

While there is improvements in certain areas. The vast vast majority of the gameplay looks the exact same, which this is not a positive because large portions of the gameplay is broken.

I am only 14 min in, but honestly it is still very very underwelming. Quite honestly, most of these improvements truly look like they could of been patch improvements.

# 39 droopizzle34 @ 04/17/12 05:31 PM
Sizzle trailers and the game normally fizzles. Let's hope this year the sizzle delivers. Will save judgement till I play the game for myself.

# 40 schnaidt1 @ 04/17/12 05:35 PM
Quote:
Ok so far all I am seeing is typical community day conference room break down on the changes. If you ever been to a community day this is typically how it is broken down and highlights the changes and improvements. Again it is a lot of marketing.

While there is improvements in certain areas. The vast vast majority of the gameplay looks the exact same, which this is not a positive because large portions of the gameplay is broken.

I am only 14 min in, but honestly it is still very very underwelming. Quite honestly, most of these improvements truly look like they could of been patch improvements.
man i agree with you completely!! i am finally over ea sports football games.....for the past 6-7 years around this time i been soo stoked for ncaa football and madden ( normally have quite a bit of info out by this time)

but after years and years of spending my money and then being let down...only for them to acknowledge what was wrong the next year when promoting their new game....without giving us a discount on the new game as an apology for the prior years disaster...

i am unimpressed....unmoved...and def NOT BUYING!

i dont even feel the need to dowload the demo at this point

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.