Home
NCAA Football 13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game: NCAA Football 13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 60 - View All
NCAA Football 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Phobia @ 04/18/12 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj7298419
Man....after reading most of this thread, it's amazing to me just how different this board has changed compared to the "glory days" of NCAA (around 2002).

I remember how pumped up this board would be on release day and how much fun people would have with the game. Back then, you didn't see so many people being so skeptical about this game. For everyone, NCAA used to be a first day must buy game, no questions asked. Now, I notice the vast majority here renting out of skepticism. People are now hip to EA's claim of "vast improvements" each year.

I know this post is a little off subject to the gameplay trailer, but its something that struck me while lurking this thread and I wanted to make note.
That is what happens when you game remains the same for 5+ years with no large improvements.

Amazing how all of them look so much alike, same animations, same tackles, same weight/momentum, same gameplay

# 102 ultralow36 @ 04/18/12 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
Some people on this site crack me up. You complain about stuff EA should do like, passing trajectories and WR's needing to see the ball to catch it, then complain that those things should have already been in the game. If you go watch the webcast and still think this game will be terrible then I don't know how you can be pleased with anything. I have really enjoyed the past two games and 13 looks to be better than either just based on what I've seen. I'm all for giving an opinion but, it seems like some just hate EA and can't even be objective.
got to quote this again.....because its the truth

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

# 103 ultralow36 @ 04/18/12 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioneerRaptor
Everyone needs to watch the Webcast for some more clarification on some of these features, because there is a lot of mis-information going on throughout this thread.

The Dropbacks are new and timed exactly to the routes, it was not like this last year. Last year, the QB didn't drop back on a screen and then tip-toe backwards on his own to give himself space. Last year, the QB didn't take the hike and immediately turn towards the WR screen.

The trajectories are new and if you watch the webcast they show a perfect example with an out route that is turned into a corner route. In years past, you could lead the receiver, but now you can put the ball in different places as well. Also, the moon ball was removed too. Now the default lob is based on the route and distance the receiver is. So if you just tap the button and the guy is running an out, it doesn't go 30 yards in the air first.

As for the icons, you can throw the ball at anytime. If the icons are not lit up, the receiver won't see the ball and most likely not catch it. However, you can take control of the receiver and attempt a USER catch. The icons light up when the receiver makes his cut (or when he should be looking during his route), NOT when they're open. So the icons will always light up when they're supposed to. Receiver's don't look for the ball as soon as the play starts. HOWEVER, if the receiver notices that there is a blitz and they are wide open, they will look early. (Hopefully this is tied to awareness)

The defensive improvements look amazing. Disguised coverages, improved defensive alignments which puts the best on best, instead of a LB on a slot receiver, and a DB on a TE. The read and react looks great as well.

Watching the Webcast though, some Rocket Catches were pretty evident, adding so many catching animations looks like it gave the WR's a huge boost in making some spectacular plays. I saw a lot of balls that shouldn't have been caught so easily.

The throw on the run is vastly different. Last year, if you were running and hit the button, your guy would stop and throw. Now they continue running whilst throwing (thought you can stop and setup if you want). it also penalizes you if you throw back across the field.

Anyways, that's basically what they showed in the Webcast, if you didn't watch it and you are just going off the sizzle.
quoted for all the BS going on....geez

# 104 ultralow36 @ 04/18/12 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioneerRaptor
Agreed.

Another thing to, someone earlier in the thread complained that changing the animation for pump fake and the animation for playaction doesn't change anything.

The new Pump-Action is completely different. They built pump-action into the QB's dropback, so he'll do it automatically on double-cut routes. Then, the manual pump-action is quicker and they added new defensive react animations that can pull corners and safeties. You can also pump fake to a specific receiver now, by holding LB + Icon.

The play-action is completely upgraded as well. Last year it was a huge risk to call one, because it was usually a sack. This year, if you see pressure, you hold RT and it cancels the play-action. Also, the play-action fake has been sped up so that the animation isn't so long and you can quickly get into passing.
I was looking at this yesterday looks really good

# 105 ultralow36 @ 04/18/12 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia

I can see the bait is working great on certain people
now who needs to grow up.....no need to talk down to people because the enjoy playing a GAME ...that's all it is realistic or arcardy it will always be just a game....just like 2k football there is good parts and bad y'all say it looks life like but you fail to say how much control it takes out of your hands....its good to look at but control like a tank...

# 106 Ramminyou @ 04/18/12 10:58 AM
Quote:
That is what happens when you game remains the same for 5+ years with no large improvements.

Amazing how all of them look so much alike, same animations, same tackles, same weight/momentum, same gameplay
Well the human race hasn't evolved all that much over the last 5 years, and the game of football is still largely the same. It makes sense for bite-sized clips of the games to look very similar. For me the problem is less about EA not making drastic changes for the sake of change but more about not getting things in the game to work properly. If the fixes and additions in 13 work as advertised, I'd be extremely pleased with the game. The issue is whether they will actually work.

# 107 Phobia @ 04/18/12 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralow36
now who needs to grow up.....no need to talk down to people because the enjoy playing a GAME ...that's all it is realistic or arcardy it will always be just a game....just like 2k football there is good parts and bad y'all say it looks life like but you fail to say how much control it takes out of your hands....its good to look at but control like a tank...

Ok maybe the hook line and sinker was a tad childish. But seriously we have this same debate every year. Hell I was on the other side of the fence defending the changes and improvements last year. But the same trend always continues about the game being hyped out of control and then falling far short of what people would like. The same people not wanting to hear about the short comings will be the ones coming here complaining that the game is STILL lack luster and the improvements minor. Mark my words this will happen. You might not agree with my comments now, but you agree more after several months with the game in your hands.

@Ramminyou - It is not just the short clips being the point. It is that the game itself, not football that doesn't change. See the problem is everyone talks about the same issues year in and year out. The core game remains the same and has for years. So the same problems continue to carry over year after year after year.

Where is the large improvements? I understand there is minor improvements, but the game has bigger issues that need tending to. You would think in 5 years they could improve the animations, the blocking, running animations, hell all the animations to begin with, feeling of weight (less zip zag running).....on and on.

# 108 roadman @ 04/18/12 11:28 AM
Quote:
Ok maybe the hook line and sinker was a tad childish. But seriously we have this same debate every year. Hell I was on the other side of the fence defending the changes and improvements last year. But the same trend always continues about the game being hyped out of control and then falling far short of what people would like. The same people not wanting to hear about the short comings will be the ones coming here complaining that the game is STILL lack luster and the improvements minor. Mark my words this will happen. You might not agree with my comments now, but you agree more after several months with the game in your hands.

@Ramminyou - It is not just the short clips being the point. It is that the game itself, not football that doesn't change. See the problem is everyone talks about the same issues year in and year out. The core game remains the same and has for years. So the same problems continue to carry over year after year after year.

Where is the large improvements? I understand there is minor improvements, but the game has bigger issues that need tending to. You would think in 5 years they could improve the animations, the blocking, running animations, hell all the animations to begin with, feeling of weight (less zip zag running).....on and on.
Unfortunately, Phobes, I don't see your last paragraph happening until the crossover of the NG consoles. I would think a new engine(s) would take care of those needy issues, but we'll see.

Unfortunately, EA is late to the party and now I see them trying to play catch up. It's not a terrible thing to be headed in the right direction, hopefully, as it does appear.

# 109 DJ @ 04/18/12 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Unfortunately, Phobes, I don't see your last paragraph happening until the crossover of the NG consoles. I would think a new engine(s) would take care of those needy issues, but we'll see.

Unfortunately, EA is late to the party and now I see them trying to play catch up. It's not a terrible thing to be headed in the right direction, hopefully, as it does appear.
Agreed, Road. Like Sage said, what we're seeing now is what we should've been seeing around NCAA 07-09.

# 110 Phobia @ 04/18/12 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Agreed, Road. Like Sage said, what we're seeing now is what we should've been seeing around NCAA 07-09.
Completely agree Road. I think this gen we will never see those improvements. Purchase the minor improvements every year is fine for some people. I will refrain from doing so.

# 111 TDKing @ 04/18/12 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
It's been stated a handful of times that you can still throw to the receiver with icon dimmed out. And apparently, it works exactly the way you say it should work.

Not sure that it matters though considering you've already made the decision that you're not purchasing it.
Why do they have to light up the ICONS ? Its cheap and unrealistic! Why can't the receivers just put their arm up or something.
I haven't seen anything yet that makes me say I gotta have this game... waiting for the demo.

# 112 RGiles36 @ 04/18/12 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDKing
Why do they have to light up the ICONS ? Its cheap and unrealistic! Why can't the receivers just put their arm up or something.
I haven't seen anything yet that makes me say I gotta have this game... waiting for the demo.
I feel you, but what is the difference between the icons lighting up in NCAA 13 and the icons being lit in NCAA 12 today? It's not like they're going to pulsate or be some weird distraction in 13. The only difference is that they'll start out dim.

# 113 drlw322 @ 04/18/12 12:13 PM
I for one am happy with these gameplay improvements. Some of thesethi gs in the passing games have been budging me for years. Now it is finally fixed according to ea. The swat attempt at the end didn't look bad at all. And the wr went up to get the ball at the highest point with proper animation. Its been long over due. Just couple years ago everyonr was harping when the passing game was going to be improved. Now they do it everyone complains. Cant pls everyone but I'm happy

# 114 TDKing @ 04/18/12 12:25 PM
Quote:
I feel you, but what is the difference between the icons lighting up in NCAA 13 and the icons being lit in NCAA 12 today? It's not like they're going to pulsate or be some weird distraction in 13. The only difference is that they'll start out dim.
They won't pulsate, but they will be lighting up at different times all over the field. Staying lit and lighting up are way different to me, lighting up will seem like flashes all over the place it kinda ruins the emersion factor seems more arcadey (IMO). I would much rather the reciever raise their arm when they are ready for the ball. I guess it doesn't really matter now, not sure why they don't run this stuff by the "community" to get our opinions before they put it in the game. Who knows maybe it won't be so bad hmmm...

# 115 SageInfinite @ 04/18/12 12:29 PM
I am all for these improvements. Psychic db's was one of the most disgusting things I've seen in football. I'm glad they're gone, but it seems people get offended when you aren't impressed about the improvements EA made. The passing game overhaul was definitely overdue, but things being added like trajectories is just a little idk, it's just funny to me EA thought it was cool to have 2 trajectories. Like they didn't see anything wrong with it for years, lol, and I'm supposed to be excited that they finally realized this? Lol. It's just funny to me.

I will enjoy the game for what it is with my limited time with it, but getting excited now is something I just can't do. I've owned every NCAA game, and I guess the excitement from these improvements is so low for me because the base of the engine(s) was so bad to begin with. Here's to next gen and hoping they decide to go with a more sim based foundation. Props to the devs for all the hardwork, shame on EA/Tiburon for such terrible focus and vision for all these years. Look no further than the back of NCAA 10 for evidence of this.

# 116 DJ @ 04/18/12 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I am all for these improvements. Psychic db's was one of the most disgusting things I've seen in football. I'm glad they're gone, but it seems people get offended when you aren't impressed about the improvements EA made. The passing game overhaul was definitely overdue, but things being added like trajectories is just a little idk, it's just funny to me EA thought it was cool to have 2 trajectories. Like they didn't see anything wrong with it for years, lol, and I'm supposed to be excited that they finally realized this? Lol. It's just funny to me.

I will enjoy the game for what it is with my limited time with it, but getting excited now is something I just can't do. I've owned every NCAA game, and I guess the excitement from these improvements is so low for me because the base of the engine(s) was so bad to begin with. Here's to next gen and hoping they decide to go with a more sim based foundation. Props to the devs for all the hardwork, shame on EA/Tiburon for such terrible focus and vision for all these years. Look no further than the back of NCAA 10 for evidence of this.
I would've given this post 2 thumbs up, but you lose one for being a Jets fan

In all seriousness, though, great post and this sums up how I'm feeling about NCAA and EA/Tiburon as a whole right now as well.

# 117 SageInfinite @ 04/18/12 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
I would've given this post 2 thumbs up, but you lose one for being a Jets fan

In all seriousness, though, great post and this sums up how I'm feeling about NCAA and EA/Tiburon as a whole right now as well.
LOL. Thanks my dude. Glad we share the same opinion. It's just funny to me how guys get mad or offended like I bash this game just because they enjoy the game as is. I'm a huge fan of NBA 2k, but I don't react like that when guys don't enjoy it like me.

# 118 RGiles36 @ 04/18/12 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Speaking on my behalf, I'm not offended when people aren't impressed. As I've stated in the Madden forum several times, people have different levels of expectations -- as they should. The same scenario will play out when Madden's marketing gets in full swing here shortly.

But I do think it's short-sighted when people RIP EA's football games for their shortcomings, only to give no credit when EA addresses those things. Or, EA fixes ABC, but they didn't touch XYZ so the game is still a massive fail. Not being able to see the forest through the trees is a trait I see a lot of on OS.

Again, people are entitled to their own expectations. Not everyone is willing to let EA off the hook for the 'dark years' and I get that. But both NCAA & Madden are finally on the uptick and it sometimes seems people are so lost in their misery that they can't see that.

Let's not confuse this w/ me telling people to lower their expectations though -- def not saying that.

# 119 SageInfinite @ 04/18/12 12:46 PM
One more thing I'd like to add, might get a little hate for this, but idk, seems like EA has a little bit of tunnel vision when developing these games every year. Seems like they focus on a certain aspect and that's it. More info could come out, but it just seems to me like if I were working on the passing game I'd work on every aspect. Penalties, OL/DL, QB styles, WR DB interaction, as well as what they did, then it would be a little but more understandable if the running game wasn't touched on. Just seems to me they choose to work on the game in compartments instead of on a whole.

It's just like when they added refs but didn't add the chain gangs. It's like all they see is the one goal they set and don't see anything else. Respect for what they do though, I appreciate the effort they put into getting us information now. The podcasts and interaction is definitely the best thing about this generation coming from EA/Tiburon. Shout out to all those who still get the most out of this game.

# 120 SageInfinite @ 04/18/12 12:50 PM
Quote:
Speaking on my behalf, I'm not offended when people aren't impressed. As I've stated in the Madden forum several times, people have different levels of expectations -- as they should. The same scenario will play out when Madden's marketing gets in full swing here shortly.

But I do think it's short-sighted when people RIP EA's football games for their shortcomings, only to give no credit when EA addresses those things. Or, EA fixes ABC, but they didn't touch XYZ so the game is still a massive fail. Not being able to see the forest through the trees is a trait I see a lot of on OS.

Again, people are entitled to their own expectations. Not everyone is willing to let EA off the hook for the 'dark years' and I get that. But both NCAA & Madden are finally on the uptick and it sometimes seems people are so lost in their misery that they can't see that.

Let's not confuse this w/ me telling people to lower their expectations though -- def not saying that.
Good post as most of yours are RG, I will definitely be hollering at you when Madden gets into full swing. I definitely try to give credit when credit is due, they've just made it so much harder this gen. I think another one of the problems is they think a lot of the stuff they do is "cool" until people tell em like hey, that's not what we want, we want realism. Which is why I'm glad EA is interacting more, because sometimes they honestly really just don't get it.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.