Home
News Post

3. San Diego Padres

Yonder Alonso will be making a difference in the Padres lineup this year. The 24 year old OF/1B prospect is the Padres farm system's star right now.

Not to be outdone, Rymer Liriano will be an OF prospect ready in a couple more years. Yasamani Grandal is a catcher on the cusp of being ready for the big leagues himself. 2B Cory Spangenberg is probably the best minor league prospect at 2B as he sports athletic speed and a good bat.

The Padres will have a chance to be a competitor very soon, and might even make a push this year. But with their farm system depth, they can certainly take hold of the NL West in the coming years.

Monday: #5 St. Louis Cardinals
Tuesday: #4 Texas Rangers

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 padsfan92 @ 04/18/12 07:39 PM
Oh man I think the part that says we'll compete this year should be omitted......

# 2 thelakeshow @ 04/18/12 09:41 PM
It sucks for Reds fans that half of those top prospects are from that Mat Latos trade.

# 3 BatsareBugs @ 04/18/12 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelakeshow
It sucks for Reds fans that half of those top prospects are from that Mat Latos trade.
Even without Yasmani Grandal and Yonder Alonso the Padres would have a pretty good farm system. They'd still have Anthony Rizzo.

# 4 37 @ 04/18/12 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag3vsW0rld
Even without Yasmani Grandal and Yonder Alonso the Padres would have a pretty good farm system. They'd still have Anthony Rizzo.
Rizzo's a Cub lol

# 5 BatsareBugs @ 04/18/12 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFatGirlz4Me37
Rizzo's a Cub lol
Um, Rizzo was traded because Josh Byrnes and Jeff Moorad didn't want a "QB controversy" here that they created themselves when they got Yonder Alonso.

No Mat Latos trade, no Rizzo trade, it's as simple as that. Unless you really think I don't know what I'm talking about.

# 6 37 @ 04/19/12 12:06 AM
Quote:
Um, Rizzo was traded because Josh Byrnes and Jeff Moorad didn't want a "QB controversy" here that they created themselves when they got Yonder Alonso.

No Mat Latos trade, no Rizzo trade, it's as simple as that. Unless you really think I don't know what I'm talking about.
Of course u do....i jus thought it was strange u brought up Rizzo....forgive me..i just woke up from an unforseen nap

# 7 h4mbon3s @ 04/19/12 12:09 AM
Top five farm system, bottom five stadium lol

# 8 37 @ 04/19/12 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4mbon3s
Petco's a very nice-looking stadium

# 9 h4mbon3s @ 04/19/12 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFatGirlz4Me37
Petco's a very nice-looking stadium
It's a nice looking park but it's not nice when you're hitting.. it is the definition of a pitcher's park lol

# 10 seanjeezy @ 04/19/12 12:19 AM
Quote:
Why are you so high on Austin Hedges Rage, and for that matter Ross and Sampson too? The only guy on the Padres I can justify giving an A to right now is Liriano, and I'm a little hesitant to do that as well. B+'s would have been perfect for all of these guys, because it allows for the opportunity to progress into an A or regress to a C+, giving them A's practically guarantees their success.

# 11 37 @ 04/19/12 12:22 AM
Quote:
It's a nice looking park but it's not nice when you're hitting.. it is the definition of a pitcher's park lol
and whats wrong with that? it suits the Padres' strength....up to the hitters to adjust to the park...not the other way around

# 12 bkrich83 @ 04/19/12 12:36 AM
Quote:
Having been to just about every park in Major League baseball, it is certainly not a bottom five stadium.

# 13 supermanemblem @ 04/19/12 12:58 AM
I'm a Padres fan and if the have one of the top farm systems in MLB, then the sport is in trouble. These kids look good on paper, but it's another story when they come to the show with nothing around them to make the transition easier. Alonso is overmatched at the moment without any protection in the lineup. The same will be said for the others when they come up.

# 14 bkrich83 @ 04/19/12 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Why are you so high on Austin Hedges Rage, and for that matter Ross and Sampson too? The only guy on the Padres I can justify giving an A to right now is Liriano, and I'm a little hesitant to do that as well. B+'s would have been perfect for all of these guys, because it allows for the opportunity to progress into an A or regress to a C+, giving them A's practically guarantees their success.
Well if you don't think those guys should be A's why should anyone else.

LOL. These kinds of posts kill me.

# 15 seanjeezy @ 04/19/12 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Well if you don't think those guys should be A's why should anyone else.

LOL. These kinds of posts kill me.
Because they're not. Making them A's puts them on the same level as Harper, Trout, Montero, Profar, etc. If you give a player an A potential in this game they are 100% guaranteed to reach it. Not a single one of the Padres prospects scream All-Star to me, yes there is a good chance they become productive major leaguers, but the chance that they all become all-stars? no way in hell (sorry Rage); There's a reason why none of these guys crack the top 40 in anyone's list. like I said earlier, giving them a B+ allows for potential growth and also a chance to regress, which allows for a more true to life scenario.

# 16 BatsareBugs @ 04/19/12 01:40 AM
Quote:
I already explained this in the Padres OSFM. There was plenty of time to discuss this.

I'll say this, if those players are not even A-'s... then not only will have to scale all the Padres prospects back, but everyone else, including guys like Javier Baez, Starling Marte, James Paxton, Danny Hultzen, etc.

And for the record, none of those prospects you listed will be stars or MVPs. All A's are not the same (and my version of Rymer Liriano was at the same potential rating as Austin Hedges, but ARoid's version made it in and Liriano has a higher ceiling). And all those players are many years away and have ample time to screw up their potential or raise it even higher, unless you think waiting at least seven years is guaranteeing a player's success.

# 17 padsfan92 @ 04/19/12 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanemblem
I'm a Padres fan and if the have one of the top farm systems in MLB, then the sport is in trouble. These kids look good on paper, but it's another story when they come to the show with nothing around them to make the transition easier. Alonso is overmatched at the moment without any protection in the lineup. The same will be said for the others when they come up.
I feel like you're underestimating the Padres farm system. They don't really have a true future superstar, sure fire Bryce Harper type of player in their farm system, but the Padres have a plethora of guys in their system that can be solid Major league players and with the potential to be great.

# 18 BatsareBugs @ 04/19/12 01:44 AM
Quote:
Because they're not. Making them A's puts them on the same level as Harper, Trout, Montero, Profar, etc. If you give a player an A potential in this game they are 100% guaranteed to reach it. Not a single one of the Padres prospects scream All-Star to me, yes there is a good chance they become productive major leaguers, but the chance that they all become all-stars? no way in hell (sorry Rage); There's a reason why none of these guys crack the top 40 in anyone's list. like I said earlier, giving them a B+ allows for potential growth and also a chance to regress, which allows for a more true to life scenario.
Please tell. For Trout and Montero, there's is already locked and the potentials of the other players were at the whims of other creators.

None of them scream All-Star at the moment, yet what I've read from Austin Hedges is that his offense was questionable going into the draft so that's why I did my due diligence with the two teams I worked with and worked from top to bottom in potential. Don't believe me? You can move the prospects from the Padres to the D'Backs and vice-versa, and see that none of the Padres prospects have the ceiling of Tyler Skaggs or Archie Bradley (again, I mentioned this earlier that Trevor Bauer took a hit in his potential because it's ARoid's version, in my list he was higher than the other two pitchers). You'll have to exclude Rymer Liriano because I did not rate him.

Again, you are ignoring the fact that the A potential range has a wide range. Missing descriptions aside, not all A's are equal or you'd think Cameron Maybin has the same ceiling as Matt Kemp.

# 19 padsfan92 @ 04/19/12 01:44 AM
Quote:
I didn't realize that a pitchers park automatically meant that it was a poor stadium. Petco is a beautiful park, have you ever been to it?

# 20 bkrich83 @ 04/19/12 02:06 AM
Quote:
They're not, says you. You can't predict the future of how these guys will develop any better than the rest of us.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.