Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

OS' man-in-charge Steve Noah was able to get some hands-on time with Madden 13. Here are his initial impressions on the gameplay information released today.

Read More: Madden NFL 13 Gameplay

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Skyboxer @ 04/30/12 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Think about like this, in real life a QB has to know the play well enough to be aware of when a receiver should be expecting the ball or not, they do not necessarily have a "tell"/visual indicator.

Some people would like to have an option to turn off the visual aid/"tell", not the feature, for when a receiver is expecting the ball, to better simulate real life.
The icons don't mean they are expecting the ball. It means they are looking so they aren't telling you really anything.
I would agree if the icons said when they were open etc..
You have to remember this is a video game trying to copy a "real world" experience on field with quick repsonses "visually".

# 102 SageInfinite @ 04/30/12 06:54 PM
Quote:
Think about like this, in real life a QB has to know the play well enough to be aware of when a receiver should be expecting the ball or not, they do not necessarily have a "tell"/visual indicator.

Some people would like to have an option to turn off the visual aid/"tell", not the feature, for when a receiver is expecting the ball, to better simulate real life.
But in real life they don't have icons above their receivers heads either, lol. The icons will be there regardless. Am I missing some aid that will be there? I don't get what people are wanting to turn off. It's not like they start flashing or pulsating or is anything distracting. It's the same exact thing except some receivers icons are dim. You can still throw the ball to them.

# 103 Jarodd21 @ 04/30/12 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
The icons don't mean they are expecting the ball. It means they are looking so they aren't telling you really anything.
I would agree if the icons said when they were open etc..
You have to remember this is a video game trying to copy a "real world" experience on field with quick repsonses "visually".

What is the problem with some of us not wanting it on at all? The USER should know exactly what route every WR is doing on the field and the exact time there heads should be turning around.. I don't want an icon telling me when there heads are turned.. I want to be able to figure it out myself and time the throw.. With the Icons lighting up and letting you know that the WRs heads are turned it's making it easier on the USER to time the throw and find the open WRs.. IMO it's a CHALLENGE trying to time the pass and figure out when the WR is going to turn his head.. All they have to do is make this an option for us gamers who don't want to use it and for the gamers who want to use it.. It's that simple..

# 104 roadman @ 04/30/12 07:09 PM
Actually, it's not as simple as it appears on the surface.

Options are always great, but if both games don't have the option as we speak, people who are in favor of turning it off should also plead their case on the NCAA side.

Options/controls will be the same this year.

# 105 Skyboxer @ 04/30/12 07:15 PM
Quote:
Ok, so according to bold, why shouldn't people that want to, have an option to turn the VISUALS off then?

I really don't see what the issue is with people asking for that option. This same thing seems to happen when someone says they would like an option to hide OVR and other people chime in that OVR doesn't matter.

Cool then, there shouldn't be any confusion about why some people want an option to hide something that is no benefit to them, when displayed.
No its fine to want to have the option of the icons fading being turned off. My point is it is not doing anything other than a visual aid of when they are looking.
They could be double teamed but looking...

And lastly the icons will be there regardless. Yo'ull only be turning off the fade.
So actually if you really want less "clutter" you should want to keep this turned on as at some points there will be faded icons...

And yes I want more vids and info lol

# 106 Skyboxer @ 04/30/12 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
What is the problem with some of us not wanting it on at all? The USER should know exactly what route every WR is doing on the field and the exact time there heads should be turning around.. I don't want an icon telling me when there heads are turned.. I want to be able to figure it out myself and time the throw.. With the Icons lighting up and letting you know that the WRs heads are turned it's making it easier on the USER to time the throw and find the open WRs.. IMO it's a CHALLENGE trying to time the pass and figure out when the WR is going to turn his head.. All they have to do is make this an option for us gamers who don't want to use it and for the gamers who want to use it.. It's that simple..
There's nothing wrong with having the option to turn it off except the icons cant be turned off. You'll simply be turning off the fade.
And no it does not make it easier. It again does not mean they are open etc..
It simply means they are looking. You the user still need to pick the appropriate wr etc based on coverage etc..they could be double teamed and still looking.

In any case having the option to leave icons on at all times is an option that would be fine for those that want it.

# 107 Jarodd21 @ 04/30/12 07:28 PM
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with having the option to turn it off except the icons cant be turned off. You'll simply be turning off the fade.
And no it does not make it easier. It again does not mean they are open etc..
It simply means they are looking. You the user still need to pick the appropriate wr etc based on coverage etc..they could be double teamed and still looking.

In any case having the option to leave icons on at all times is an option that would be fine for those that want it.
I'm not saying the WRs are open but it makes it easier on the USER locate the WRs who got there heads turned.. I like the challenge of finding the WRs on my own instead of an icon telling me the WRs are looking for the ball.. But the simple solution is to have this as an option.. That's all I'm asking for..

# 108 Senator Palmer @ 04/30/12 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
We're all entitled to different opinions, but I certainly wouldn't label some sort of training wheels. It was perhaps my favorite gameplay enhancement when I played the game in February. It added a game within a game.
I used the term "training wheels" because to me it seemed like a really good learning tool. That is how I used rewind. But speaking strictly from my point of view as someone who has logged a ton of time with Madden over the years, I can't imagine playing with it on all the time. Part of the fun for me when a new Madden comes out is taking the time to learn the way the game moves and feels; figuring out the timing myself.

For years I had no other choice but to learn the timing myself, and I guess I just naturally recoiled at the thought that now they're giving visual cues to circumvent that process. But I don't want to begrudge anyone for wanting to use it. I just hope (expect) for there to be an option to turn it off, though.

Hopefully there's enough options so that we all can play how we want.

# 109 Senator Palmer @ 04/30/12 07:42 PM
Quote:
I like it personally. Doesn't the icons "lighting up" just mean they will be looking for the ball and not that they are open?

To me it adds to the game. I can't see all the receivers "heads" to see if they are looking for the ball and this is a good replacment IMO.

It isn't telling you when to throw etc.. it simply is saying when they are looking.

Unless I'm totally missing something.

in any case.. I like it.
Actually, it is a visual aide to tell you when to throw. In two videos I've seen, receiver icons light up before they look at the QB.

And rgiles confirmed it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
You're right -- it's not always an indicator of when the receiver is actually looking. The way it's tuned allows you to anticipate your throws like the pros do.

There were times I could throw the ball prior to his icon turning on b/c I knew the receiver would get his head around before the ball got there.

# 110 SageInfinite @ 04/30/12 07:51 PM
So I guess the mechanic just doesn't work as advertised, because if it did, I still don't get what the big deal is. It's not like you could turn the passing icons off before period. If anything I'd think people would like this who want less clutter.

Either way, I do hate how EA constantly dumbs down certain aspects of the game, or tries to constantly hold peoples hands through the process of the game. We should be able to turn off to have a true sim. That's why I like how games like Forza and Gran Turismo handle their players.

# 111 Senator Palmer @ 04/30/12 07:58 PM
@Sage those of us that want it turned off are talking about the "system" as a whole. The icon actually lighting up as a cue of when to throw the call.

Although... I gotta admit, I'd be up for the challenge of experimenting with playing without icons all together.

# 112 SageInfinite @ 04/30/12 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
@Sage those of us that want it turned off are talking about the "system" as a whole. The icon actually lighting up as a cue of when to throw the call.

Although... I gotta admit, I'd be up for the challenge of experimenting with playing without icons all together.
That's the thing though, it's not actually a cue to throw the ball.

# 113 Skyboxer @ 04/30/12 08:17 PM
Quote:
I'm not saying the WRs are open but it makes it easier on the USER locate the WRs who got there heads turned.. I like the challenge of finding the WRs on my own instead of an icon telling me the WRs are looking for the ball.. But the simple solution is to have this as an option.. That's all I'm asking for..
I think you are over estimating the amount of affect this is going to have.
In fact it may make it harder for those not actually looking for the best option.

We're talking 2 maybe 3 seconds to make a decision... How many players who arent paying attention will just fire to a icon thats not faded instead of waiting for the better option about to break open....?
It doesnt seem to be nearly the "aid" I think you think it is.

But yes options are good....

# 114 SageInfinite @ 04/30/12 08:20 PM
Quote:
Now you are borderline trying to start a coup around here. lol

I keep saying if they want to continue to not give people game play camera options, there needs to at least be options to make the "god view" more challenging. I think it would be fun to have each button assigned by read progression of the pass play. For example, A button is the primary, X button the next read, LB the checkdown, etc with no icons displayed out on the field. An option like that would represent Users needing to actually learn their plays and reads.

I bet that would cut down on playing with random playbooks at will. lol
I like this idea, I would rock with it.

# 115 RGiles36 @ 04/30/12 08:22 PM
Hopefully my last two cents on this topic:

1) Again, once the game comes out, I doubt there will be any controversy regarding this feature. It's cool to chat about now b/c that's what we do this time of year, but it's not vastly different than what we're used to visually. The icons simply are faded at the snap...that's the only difference.

2) Like all the other discussions at OS, the outlook on this feature is all about perspective. Some see it as a visual aid or something to guide the casuals. I get that. But for me, I applaud Tiburon for developing risky sim feature and rolling with it. In years past, I wouldn't have been surprised if a feature such as this would've been scrapped in order to allow the casuals to chuck the ball all over the field. This year seems to be different -- they're appears to be a commitment to realism and that's what this feature is grounded in. Not allowing users to hike and chuck as they've done all of their Madden lives is a commitment to realism that this game has lacked this generation.

# 116 Skyboxer @ 04/30/12 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Actually, it is a visual aide to tell you when to throw. In two videos I've seen, receiver icons light up before they look at the QB.

And rgiles confirmed it...
Then the video with the devolopers have them being wrong. They specifically said it DOESN'T mean they are open but rather looking...

So yes if it means they are open ...i hate it.
If its just they are looking then I'm fine with itZ

# 117 RGiles36 @ 04/30/12 08:27 PM
Quote:
Then the video with the devolopers have them being wrong. They specifically said it DOESN'T mean they are open but rather looking...

So yes if it means they are open ...i hate it.
If its just they are looking then I'm fine with itZ
The developers are right -- it doesn't mean the receivers are open.

I think Sen Palmer may have misunderstood my post. I was suggesting that the icons are not an indicator as to when to throw the ball. That's why I mentioned for some routes, you can pass the ball while the icon is still faded out b/c by the time the ball gets there, the receiver will have gotten his head around. That's what I meant by anticipation.

# 118 jeremym480 @ 04/30/12 08:28 PM
Quote:
That is all I'm saying.. I don't want it on during my game.. I like the CHALLENGE of scanning the field myself and finding the open WR who has turned his head around.. I don't need an icon to tell me that. All they have to do is make this an option so it won't be any problems.. It's the easiest thing they can do so everyone can be happy.. Some guys want it on and some guys don't...
The icon doesn't tell you that the receiver is open. I'm not sure why that's so hard to understand. With that said, I'm one that is all for options so hopefully people who don't want to use it can turn it off.

# 119 Skyboxer @ 04/30/12 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I like this idea, I would rock with it.
Me too! Just to make sure we ar all on same page..
I'd love no icons.. I'd love no ratings (every year I ask about this as I'd love to have preseason and combines mean more. Like picking certain players each day to focus on at combine etc...)
I also would love a throw to anywhere option instead of icon passing(lol i originally said pitching)..

We all want te same level of realism and no aids. I was just simply saying I dont think the icon fade was as big an aid, if any as being thought.

I also wont be happy until we can somehow(rosters and stats) print or save out a text file to print...

# 120 Jarodd21 @ 04/30/12 08:35 PM
Quote:
I think you are over estimating the amount of affect this is going to have.
In fact it may make it harder for those not actually looking for the best option.

We're talking 2 maybe 3 seconds to make a decision... How many players who arent paying attention will just fire to a icon thats not faded instead of waiting for the better option about to break open....?
It doesnt seem to be nearly the "aid" I think you think it is.

But yes options are good....
I just want the option because I won't be using it and I will master my timing on every route like I do every year without the icon lighting up to let me know the WRs head is turned. That's all I'm asking for.. I want to find the WRs who get there heads turned around on my own without any help. I'm not your average gamer.. I'm motivated for the the challenge..

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.