Home
NBA Live 13 News Post

NBA Live 13 will feature full ESPN branding. Mike Breen and Jeff Van Gundy will handle the commentary in NBA Live 13. Since Mark Jackson is coaching the Warriors, he will no longer be a part of the game.

The NBA Live 13 team will focus on gameplay, presentation and online, according to a recent article at Kotaku.

The Creative Director is a former college point guard and his father played for John Wooden, at UCLA. The NBA Live 13 team is made up of over 70 people.

Source - Two Years Out of the NBA, EA Sports Puts Its Live Back Together (Kotaku)

Game: NBA Live 13Hype Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 56 - View All
NBA Live 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 The_Gaming_Disciple @ 04/27/12 10:37 PM
Secondly, I'm noticing a lot in photo shots as well as dev videos, it seems as if the 360 is getting all the pre game build exposure rather than the PS3, any insights on this?

# 42 Jano @ 04/27/12 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexvex
Of course I was. 2-3 years dev time would be absolutely huge for a b-ball game. Thats similar to what games like Uncharted and Gears get. To hear that they spent most of that in limbo is an enormous buzzkill.
Well if you were expecting 2-3 years of dev time then okay, that's understandable.. I've been on these forums for years now and one thing I've learned is to never get my hopes up.

It's okay to have expectations but to save your sanity its better to take a wait and see approach especially this early in the game lol! That way you can be excited about something concrete.

Ehh I know you weren't asking for advice or viewpoint but hey that's something I used to cope with both EA and 2K. Keeps things even for me at least..

# 43 NoTiCe_O @ 04/27/12 11:15 PM
All the hype i had for this game is deflated after this article..
They have to show some impressive game-play, and by impressive i mean solid fundamental basketball

# 44 coolcras7 @ 04/28/12 12:02 AM
LOL, if you think the game was underdevelopment 2-3 years. The first people involved with live 13 were put together Jan 2011 4 in total, they then spent months dissecting NBA Elite and previously Live games you have to remember this is a completely new team to creating a basketball game, EA at most only had a year and a half of trying to put something together to compete with 2k which already has a solid core to build upon. I would love NBA Live to come out with something solid but you also have to live in reality and now the facts.

# 45 Behindshadows @ 04/28/12 01:12 AM
I guess since everyone else is ripping EA a new one after their article. I'd like to give my thoughts on what I read.

Spending two years, salvaging pieces of Elite 11, was a bad decision! It was a bad game overall. Why not just salvage and build off NBA Live 10, in which for the most part, and excellent Live game.

We hated the controls as a whole of Elite 11, I thought they got the menu...why build off that crap!

Three years or 2.5 years should have been building off Live 10 and moving forward in the visuals, animations, and modes.

Sadly enough as a fan of the series, I welcome them back, but if it falls short...I will say EA won't get my money anymore.

Also they need to bring some news on NCAA BB Series too, one thing that kept Live in perspective and also held people's interest was it's College Counterpart, the same as Madden and NCAA...They live and breathe together!

Also chipping away Mark Jackson and not replacing him with a third commentator was a big mistake. 3-Man commentary is the new thing, that should have been kept! It's a part of NBA Basketball and let's hope we finally get some sideline commentary.

Commentary can be done in a 4 month cycle, they have plenty of time to revamp that before Octobers release....Let's hope they are listening.

Overall I can't wait for the series to return and can't wait to get some in game images.

Welcome back Live series!!!

# 46 22cedric @ 04/28/12 03:59 AM
I believe NBA Live 13 will be a solid game this year but it won't be able to compete with NBA 2K13 sales wise considering this is their 1st year back. In 2013 the real competition should begin with the 2014 titles of both games.

# 47 AnnihilusLivius @ 04/28/12 06:37 AM
I never thought I would say this... but 2k made me do this. Let's go EA ! I'm pumped for this one. I hope they learned from their mistakes regarding NBA Delete 11. And yessir for Mike Breen!

Bang!

# 48 Da_Czar @ 04/28/12 07:16 AM
What's good family ? Hey listen the writer of the Article Owen Good called into the show last night and had some additional insights.

I would love to know what you guys think after hearing some additional background on it. Feel the Same worse or still pissed LOL

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/daczar/...ayoffs-edition

We talked madden first so you may have to fast forward if your only interested in the discussion on the article.

# 49 23 @ 04/28/12 01:52 PM
Ill post my thoughts after I get a chance to listen today..

# 50 ThaLiveBooth @ 04/28/12 01:55 PM
EVERYBODY!! I am part of the NBA Live 13 Advisory Council!! Please find me on Youtube and comment of the video that i have posted!

The devs will be looking at these comments and I will also be able to pass along ideas and information to them!

youtube.com/thalivebooth

Find me on twitter @thalivebooth

# 51 TreyIM2 @ 04/28/12 07:05 PM
Listened to the show - Still balancing between calm hope and skepticism, regarding Live 13. I liked what I heard about Madden. I agreed with Czar and in relation to the larger staff for both Madden and Live, I can only hope that Live can implement a lot in a "1 yr dev cycle" if the blue prints were laid out well in all that pre-production time. Not looking for Live to blow away NBA2K by any stretch of the imagination but I am looking for a great foundation to build on for Live 14, which most likely be a next gen game...

And now that I say that, MAYBE a good chunk of the setup time has been about - Next gen. That time will be here up very soon, my ppl!

# 52 23 @ 04/29/12 01:19 AM
First off... I think they need to seperate themselves from the very thought of NBA E-Lite because there was alot wrong with it from jumpstreet

I don't expect them to make a 3 year game, but they can't come after all of this time as weaksauce and excuses. The standard has been raised to a very high level at this point, akin to going to prison and coming back out, the world has changed.

If they've only had 1 year to work on this game frankly im not necesarily buying into how fresh its going to be and how they plan on standing out from 2k, aside from being not 2k.

Its cool for you guys to have an online game that you can play online and all, but as a solid NBA BASKETBALL GAME.... there is no excuse to release another generic non NBA game....

If we've just waited all of this time for more excuses, EA's biggest mistake is letting a Hockey guy come in and completely screw up the concept of what basketball should be and they'll still be paying for it even this year

You had better believe that, this wont be a day 1 buy for alot of people and its going to be analyzed to death.

# 53 Behindshadows @ 04/29/12 01:58 AM
After listening to that blog, I can say,"I'm disappointed!"

Building off Elite is going to be catastrophic, again I ask? Why not build off Live 10?

Live 10 was an overall complete game offline with dynamic DNA and the online played great with no lag and overall fun lobbies. I did so many online matches for YouTube.

But this crap, about taking 6 months to salvage, 3 months to find help and blah, blah, is just more excuses....no reason after 2 seasons! Does this game have 1 cycle worth of work done....

We are in the final years of this console, and so far Live 10 was the only solid Live game in the series this generation. That is insulting and pathetic, since little time was spent, I guess this also confirms, there is no time for a NCAA Basketball...

Sad day for fans who have, waited two years for nothing....

Still sitting in my wait and see chair!

# 54 Jay Jay @ 04/29/12 03:03 AM
Im not a EA fanboy and I just had to ask this question. Do you guys really think everybody at Tiburon was suppose to just stop working on their projects they was already working on to make nba live 13? This is a new team and could be a fresh start for the Live franchise and before they even release the game we have all the cry babies crying already about the time they developed the game.

People around here need to be more realistic and ask yourself what would you have done in a situation like that.

Honestly I think Tiburon chose the best direction for year 1 by using the best data from 6 years back of Live games and keeping the right stuff from Elite so they dont have to rewrite all the code. If they put themselves in a position to fix a lot of the issues of the code they chose to use and have time to add more, Live 13 could be a good game.

I dont see anything that was said in the article or the blog as a excuse. The truth is they are using old and new data so they can give us a game thats not bare.

# 55 noshun @ 04/29/12 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Jay
Im not a EA fanboy and I just had to ask this question. Do you guys really think everybody at Tiburon was suppose to just stop working on their projects they was already working on to make nba live 13? This is a new team and could be a fresh start for the Live franchise and before they even release the game we have all the cry babies crying already about the time they developed the game.

People around here need to be more realistic and ask yourself what would you have done in a situation like that.

Honestly I think Tiburon chose the best direction for year 1 by using the best data from 6 years back of Live games and keeping the right stuff from Elite so they dont have to rewrite all the code. If they put themselves in a position to fix a lot of the issues of the code they chose to use and have time to add more, Live 13 could be a good game.

I dont see anything that was said in the article or the blog as a excuse. The truth is they are using old and new data so they can give us a game thats not bare.
Everything flew over your head and you dont get it.

# 56 Money99 @ 04/29/12 09:52 AM
My brother got a very cheap used copy of NBA Live 10 a few months back.
I had purchased 2k12 and really liked it. But after playing Live 10, I realized I liked it's control scheme a lot better. And the passing was SO, SO, SO much better than 2K12.
I eventually sold 2K simply because I was sick and tired of the stolen passes and almost complete lack of bounce-passes.

I'm definitely giving Live 13 a look before I make any b'ball purchase this Fall.

# 57 Jay Jay @ 04/29/12 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshun
So they spent 2 years filtering what they could salvage..... and trying to rebuild in 1 year? Red flags to me... Hard8times gonna have a field day with this demo if it's not up snuff.
Nothing went over my head, the problem is people like you just can't be realistic when it comes to EA. The article states that they're not rebuilding everything. Why would that be sir? Is 4 people enough to build the game even in the first year? Was EA not suppose to assemble a team? But you the first person to claim red flag because 6-10 months was spent filtering what they could salvage and a few months hiring 66 people. Realisticly that's probaly the best thing they could have done period.

Sounds like you expected them to come in blind and start building off rip.

# 58 LionsFanNJ @ 04/29/12 06:10 PM
What people don't seem to get is those complaining WANT Live to be a great alternative. I said before if Live gives me the fastbreaks I want and an awesome CAP/sneaker options id give it a shot. To hear that they tried to salvage garbage for two years then have a single year of building on that crap? Not what we want to hear

# 59 Jay Jay @ 04/29/12 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows
They should rebuild, because obviously the previous build was garbage from the jump!! It is a red flag, that 2 1/2 years going bye, and we hear 1 year development cycle. Instead of trying to salvage, they should have used that time rebuilding something that works, no seeking redemption areas in a crap bin of a game. Did you ever think about the process of hiring people to make the game?

You try to call people out for speaking their opinions and thoughts, you've only been here a year, some of us have been riding the Live train since the beginning and some of us who complain are the ones that want to see it succeed! Been here way longer than a year and I been playing Live since Lakers vs Celtics but that doesn't mean nothing.

We aren't the average consumers who just whine, as you put it! We are the guys who spend numerous hours tweaking rosters, ratings, sliders, etc. Trying to squeeze a lemon and create lemonade! Try looking at it from a developers veiw.

We have a right to complain, because we are the ones that keep giving EA chance, after chance! And all we get are more setbacks and time restraints each year! Yes we do but sometimes you need to look at the bigger picture.

We want this series to get back on the track of where Live 05 was on old consoles and PC.Thats what we all want and if they can use old data and actually make it work and stay consistent from now on then we win. Its these guys first year and its sad they have to pick up EA Canada's hate.

History this generation Live series!!! And you tell me, we are just whiners!!

Live 06
+ Graphically Impressive and Superior to Competitions Game
+ Nice Options in Menus and decent roster edits.
- Camera Angles were hideous almost made it unplayable
- Even with sliders, poor animations made this a train wreck

Live 07

+ Graphics even more impressive
+ Player models faces were uncanny and highly impressive
+ Added a nice crossover system
+ Great Presentation
+ More options on editing and decent online
- Again animations made game almost unplayable and unrealistic
- Poor A.I. with cheating system to win games
- Lack of camera options, but decent overall

Live 08

+ Played a little better
+ Decent Create a Player option
- Everything else was poo, Playmakers sliders and rosters couldn't save it!

Live 09

+ Graphics improved and better textures
+ Controls got better and much nicer movements
+ Create a Player and edits to rosters were great
+ Custom Playbooks were great and easy to access
- On the court it wasn't basketball
- Playcalling system was hideous and almost impossible to get to
- Same dry *** commentary from the previous game, rinse and repeat

Live 10

+ Presentation greatly improvemented
+ Player editing was great
+ Playbooks even more amazing
+ Graphics a big step up in the franchise
+ Dynamic DNA is an amazing feature
+ Dynasty Mode was great and never got boring
+ Controls overall from crossovers, signature shots, passing and more were great. (IMO: Had to get use to clicking analog stick for post ups)
+ Online was amazing and smoother than a baby's bottom!
- Animations were still lacking, making awkward contact during plays
- Bad ref calling during contacts and following turnovers
- Needed more player slots on rosters

NBA Elite 11 - From a Demo Perspective

Everything Live 10 wasn't and a 3 year step backwards in productivity!

- The End
That's the history of Live from EA Canada, be mad at them and give EA Tiburon a chance. The history of Live dont even matter anymore because its in the hands of new developers with the same EA label.

# 60 noshun @ 04/29/12 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Jay
That's the history of Live from EA Canada, be mad at them and give EA Tiburon a chance. The history of Live dont even matter anymore because its in the hands of new developers with the same EA label.
If the history of Live doesnt matter, why are they going back to the name of Live???? Why are new devs, salvaging from old games? Noone on these forums though they were going to use 1 yr to build when theyve had 2 yrs off.. Most thought they were using all that time off building. Instead you get what was in the article. Are you even reading what you are typing?

About me giving them a chance... I did QA at both Microsoft and Nintendo of America, as well as both NBA Live 07 and 08. All my input to those 2 crappy games was disregarded... When those game released.. I wasnt shocked because I knew the games were AWFUL testing them.

Not only that I personally emailed 3 devs and EA Canada CEO a few years ago. Stephensonmc told me that they still had that email a few years ago, and some of the issues I wrote back in 06 are still prevalent today. I shared that email with 23 as well. Its sad it has come to this. No offense to the advisory guys, but the devs need to hear it bluntly from fans that won't kiss up or sugar coat this crap, and put a foot in someones backside verbally so they get the message loud and clear.

Give them a chance... they hired all those people only to use 2 man commentary ... really??? They had 3 people for Elite and now its just 2 for Live 13, and youre happy with that? Really. How many chances are you going to give them??? Color me skeptical... I went to game design school for animation. (DigiPen).. worked at those 2 companies I said above, hell every one of my teachers are in the gaming industry...

Its funny, all the surveys after Live 07, 08, 10 came out asking us our thoughts and what we wanted, and you know what, they said screw that, we're going to give you what WE(devs) think you want.. Who here asked for Smash TV controls? We wanted believable animations, more animations, and details. There is another game out there, while not perfect by any means tries to give consumers want we want,. Details, the little things, and etc,. building a base and improving on it. This game here is going to be another 3 year cycle.. it's rediculous. Fans have told them what they want in wishlist since 06. It's ashame that some of 06's wishlist items we're on 07, 08, 09, 10 wishlists. Im not filling out anymore surveys. I'll try the demo, and go from there. There is another game of NBA i can alway rely on.

Ending this here, is this game isnt up to snuff, or what we expect as fans.... they should drop basketball. Im tired of reading we got guys who played college ball on our team... etc etc.. Elite bombed, they had those guys who played ball working on that too.. whats the excuse now?

Salvage from the scrap heap...

Last Live I bought with my money was 96 on Genesis....... and I played them all. No way will I blindly buy a EA basketball game, especially with my background, and what I expect from basketball. They have a lot of work to do to get me to purchase their game in more than 16 yrs. I animate frame by frame better than most of the animations in Elite(Maya, softImage, 3dMax). They need human anatomy classes, so they can replicate range of motion and what limitations the human body has, so they can emulate that properly. First and foremost. Animations... believable animations has been a problem in both Madden and Live/Elite. Guys running full speed, stopping on dimes, you cant do half the stuff they do in those games in real life, running around outside.

I feel for BehindShadows..his post, 23's post and everyone elses including yours in this thread is important.. Im just tired of the BS with this franchise.

This game better be up to snuff.........

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.