Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

GameInformer has posted an interview with EA Sports' General Manager of football, Cam Weber. In the interview they discuss some of the challenges in the Madden series. They also talk about how the team is preparing for the next generation of consoles.

Quote:
GI: It sounds like you'll be better prepared for the next-generation of systems and we won't see the early Madden games drop traditional features when they come out.

Cam: I think what happened in the last generation – and I think it happened in a lot of places across our industry. It absolutely did here – a lot of people were trying to re-write everything all though that transition, and so the games lost some depth and they kind of started from scratch and had to build the depth again. I think with this generation, what we want to do is really clean house, get our technology in order, and make sure we really have this great platform and these different elements so we can take that with us so we don't lose any depth along the way when we transition to future hardware.

GI: On the flipside, is there any danger that you're starting things for the next-generation too early, and that you'll actually be behind when the next-generation hits since you're starting things already?

Cam: I think we're in so much better of a place today than we were in the last transition. Mainly because a lot of it is not a re-write, and the pieces that are re-writes, we're building a lot of those foundations now. These technologies that you're seeing are scaleable. Very scaleable.

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 thor-17 @ 05/06/12 11:00 PM
I'm just stating that he said they were going to build on this foundation, and we have been complaining about how some of the basics of the sport are still not right. So, it sounds to me that we are in for more of the same. I have read how many of us have hope that the next gen will bring football back to the forefront of sports video games, but i just don't see it if they are going to carry anything over from this gen.

# 22 mrprice33 @ 05/07/12 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor-17
I'm just stating that he said they were going to build on this foundation, and we have been complaining about how some of the basics of the sport are still not right. So, it sounds to me that we are in for more of the same. I have read how many of us have hope that the next gen will bring football back to the forefront of sports video games, but i just don't see it if they are going to carry anything over from this gen.
Because if you build strong tech pipelines now (not necessarily meaning the game itself, but the tools you use to make the game) you can start with a strong foundation once you have to build for a new system. Take, for example, cameras. They've built this new technology that will allow them to have virtual cameras that mimic the real thing. That tech is universal. They can iterate on the cameras (like with HDR and motion blur), but they can keep the same basic tech so they don't have to build new tech with the next generation. It doesn't mean the game itself will be just up-rezzed and released onto next gen systems. They know they made a HUGE mistake starting from scratch and having to catch up. They're trying to make sure that doesn't happen again. That's a good thing.

# 23 22cedric @ 05/07/12 05:15 AM
It’s an all-out Madden-palooza in our eighth episode of Box Score! Richard Grisham talks to Madden NFL 13’s creative director Mike Young, GM of American Football Cam Weber, and Megatron himself – Calvin Johnson of the Detroit Lions. Young and Weber talk at length about the things they’re doing to make Madden NFL 13 the best one yet as well as how they position the franchise even better for the future; meanwhile, Johnson reflects on being named the Madden NFL 13 cover athlete as well as the outlook for his Lions.

http://www.gamesradar.com/box-score-podcast-008/

# 24 thor-17 @ 05/07/12 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
Because if you build strong tech pipelines now (not necessarily meaning the game itself, but the tools you use to make the game) you can start with a strong foundation once you have to build for a new system. Take, for example, cameras. They've built this new technology that will allow them to have virtual cameras that mimic the real thing. That tech is universal. They can iterate on the cameras (like with HDR and motion blur), but they can keep the same basic tech so they don't have to build new tech with the next generation. It doesn't mean the game itself will be just up-rezzed and released onto next gen systems. They know they made a HUGE mistake starting from scratch and having to catch up. They're trying to make sure that doesn't happen again. That's a good thing.
I get that. The cameras are good. The presentation areas are improving. The lighting is vastly improved. All this is good moving forward. The cpu logic in franchise mode is flawed, and the gameplay engine is a mess. That's what i'm scared that they are talking about building on. That needs to be scrapped with this gen. That is what needs to start from scratch. Nothing from this motion shifting, ice skating, sliding suction blocking era needs to see the light of day next gen. We need to have hope once again, not the knowledge that they are bringing any gameplay elements forward. Euphoria might be ready for another look, or whatever system they used in this game called Jonah Lomu Rugby Challenge. This is where we should be going. Talk of physics engines, not building on this gen's tech.

# 25 roadman @ 05/07/12 08:50 AM
They have a physic engine, just haven't utilized it to the full potential. Should be interesting how it's implemented over the next few years.

# 26 Yankees_CT @ 05/07/12 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
No, it actually sounds like they have a plan for next gen, unlike this gen.
I agree. I actually was under the impression that there was another team working on the next-gen title. I believe Kolbe, formally from the SCEA team, is working with that team. Then again, I may have no idea what I am talking about!

# 27 unclejitz @ 05/07/12 09:32 PM
so basically if the next gen systems come out in the holiday of 2013 that means we wont see madden till 2014 right ..if thats the case they have more than enuff time to get right..but means another year of this gen madden after 2013 ..if thats the case again there better be 2k nfl comp

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.