Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

We recently asked our staff what they thought of the initial feature releases of Madden NFL 13. Read their impressions of the tweaked gameplay and presentation after the jump!

Read More - OS Roundtable: Our First Impressions of Madden's Features

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 jmik58 @ 05/07/12 02:16 PM
Good points and I'm glad that skepticism is winning out over fanfare at this point. My biggest concern is the implementation of what EA is calling "Read and React" defense. All I've hear about is that they've tweaked the DB's. However, "Read and React" is a concept that should be applied to ALL aspects of how the defense plays. Everyone on that side of the ball has keys to read and must attempt to react accordingly. Reads and reactions occur multiple times for defenders througout each play. EA hasn't addressed the concept other than eliminating psychic DBs. It feels and smells like a typical EA "over-hype". They give it the sweeping generalized name (Read and React Defensive AI) that makes you think it applies across the board, but in reality they may only be delivering on 10% of the true concept. This would be extremely disappointing to me. I feel there is little that could revolutionize the way we play football games other than correctly implementing Read and React Defensive AI across the board. If you make the defensive players "think" like they do in real life, you've got the closest thing to "real" that we've seen in football gaming.

# 2 jpdavis82 @ 05/07/12 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevaliantx
I stopped reading when mention was made of the 'skating' (aka "no foot planting animations") in Madden 13. No thanks, same old, same old.
Man I wish EA would fix that "Skating" issue so you guys would shut up. It's not the same old, same old just because they didn't take care of one thing. Such a childish way of looking at it. This team is well on their way to giving us the game of football we have always wanted and some people expect them to get all the way there in one year. It's never going to happen, I don't care if it's FIFA, 2k, The Show, you name it, no game is going to ever implement every feature you want in a year's time. Those games have been through years of development to get where they are and some would say nba2k went backwards this year after 2k11. Maybe EA hasn't done things the right way with Madden in the past but just grow up and get over it.

# 3 SageInfinite @ 05/07/12 10:44 PM
Good read. In agreement with their thoughts.

# 4 bkrich83 @ 05/07/12 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Man I wish EA would fix that "Skating" issue so you guys would shut up. It's not the same old, same old just because they didn't take care of one thing. Such a childish way of looking at it. This team is well on their way to giving us the game of football we have always wanted and some people expect them to get all the way there in one year. It's never going to happen, I don't care if it's FIFA, 2k, The Show, you name it, no game is going to ever implement every feature you want in a year's time. Those games have been through years of development to get where they are and some would say nba2k went backwards this year after 2k11. Maybe EA hasn't done things the right way with Madden in the past but just grow up and get over it.
The good news is, since he's given up on the game already, we won't have to listen to him rehash the same crap over and over again.

# 5 Smoke6 @ 05/07/12 11:02 PM
Quote:

Sorry bro, but this is not a feature and its a key part of every sport known to man. With proper foot planting in madden, it would be a whole new ball game imo. This is nothing to shy from or "I cant wait til they fix it cuz im tired of hearing about it" type of issue. Many of the reasons madden is so disliked because it makes the game not feel authentic as you can stop and change directions on a dime even without stopping!

Good read tho!

# 6 UMhester04 @ 05/08/12 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke6
Sorry bro, but this is not a feature and its a key part of every sport known to man. With proper foot planting in madden, it would be a whole new ball game imo. This is nothing to shy from or "I cant wait til they fix it cuz im tired of hearing about it" type of issue. Many of the reasons madden is so disliked because it makes the game not feel authentic as you can stop and change directions on a dime even without stopping!

Good read tho!
Agreed. IMO if they change the running styles to make it so ALL the players have to plant their feet/shift momentum, I cannot explain how much better the game will play.

I do not understand how the most basic aspect of ANY SPORT, ESPECIALLY football (movement), is so mis represented. This should be the number one aspect of the game they should have worked on, as the game of football is all about angles, speed, momentum. It is mind boggling!!

# 7 jpdavis82 @ 05/08/12 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMhester04
Agreed. IMO if they change the running styles to make it so ALL the players have to plant their feet/shift momentum, I cannot explain how much better the game will play.

I do not understand how the most basic aspect of ANY SPORT, ESPECIALLY football (movement), is so mis represented. This should be the number one aspect of the game they should have worked on, as the game of football is all about angles, speed, momentum. It is mind boggling!!
Well with this new development team I am sure they would have had this fixed already, but seeing as we are now at the end of the console's lifespan and this is the new dev team's first year on Madden and Cam Weber's first Madden, I think they decided just to wait to implement the all new gameplay engine for the next console. Otherwise it would be inexcusable for a team that is so committed to improving gameplay first and foremost and doubled the size of their gameplay team as their first move.

# 8 UMhester04 @ 05/08/12 12:35 AM
Quote:
Well with this new development team I am sure they would have had this fixed already, but seeing as we are now at the end of the console's lifespan and this is the new dev team's first year on Madden and Cam Weber's first Madden, I think they decided just to wait to implement the all new gameplay engine for the next console. Otherwise it would be inexcusable for a team that is so committed to improving gameplay first and foremost and doubled the size of their gameplay team as their first move.

Makes perfect sense. I was just saying back when this generation started, somewhere between then and now they should have invested a good ammount of money into a movement system. I understand that I am preaching to the choir but it just my mind how a game developer couldnt think of this.

When are the new consoles supposed to be coming out anyways?

# 9 Smoke6 @ 05/08/12 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMhester04
Makes perfect sense. I was just saying back when this generation started, somewhere between then and now they should have invested a good ammount of money into a movement system. I understand that I am preaching to the choir but it just my mind how a game developer couldnt think of this.

When are the new consoles supposed to be coming out anyways?
No, you're not preaching to the choir, it was in the "rushed" version of nex gen madden before they scrapped that engine! Ever since then its been non existent.

I remember it vividly on the N64 as there was foot planting or what seemed like it back then.

# 10 KBLover @ 05/08/12 12:42 AM
Quote:
Man I wish EA would fix that "Skating" issue so you guys would shut up. It's not the same old, same old just because they didn't take care of one thing.
In this one feature it is...unless it's changed?

If the zig zag running is still there - how is it different? The WHOLE GAME isn't the same, but this aspect is.

Hopefully, though, something will happen with it. It's not enough to make me say "Screw M13", though. I'm interested in how the read/react plays out alone too much to say that at this point.

# 11 kingsofthevalley @ 05/08/12 05:05 AM
Cleats not iceskates in 2014!!!!!

# 12 dcurtisleon @ 05/08/12 06:16 AM
i all understand where you all comeing from. but you have to give both games madden and ncca a little credit for trying to get better and wait untill e3 in june to give them a judgement on. this is not the finshed product and i hope that ncca 13 bring back the 12 team or however how many teams within your dynasty mode . if they do that then i give it the thumbs up. because a lot of people want to play online with the mode like it was. as far as 2k12 its was okey but really bad no real new features and the same game play,crowd recation the same kinda dull. nhl 12 was great wwe 12 was great as well . all nhl 13 needs mulit-team be a gm mode of all32 teams

# 13 Armor and Sword @ 05/08/12 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
In this one feature it is...unless it's changed?

If the zig zag running is still there - how is it different? The WHOLE GAME isn't the same, but this aspect is.

Hopefully, though, something will happen with it. It's not enough to make me say "Screw M13", though. I'm interested in how the read/react plays out alone too much to say that at this point.
Yeah despite that wart and it is a big one I still had fun with Madden 12 up to a point. If the new features are implemented well (read/react AI, pass ready wr/db, pass trajectories, all new presentation) and they fixed tackling (wraparounds, multiple hits) which for is what ultimately killed Madden 12 for me, then I may be a buyer this year.

All of us would love real player movement (physics). And for some it is a must to even consider the game. I can respect that point of view. For me and many others though we can have fun with Madden despite some of it's obvious flaws

# 14 BezO @ 05/08/12 10:15 AM
IMO, no feature is worth its weight until the players move & interact like they should.

20+ pass trajectories, read & react(did Madden change the meaning of this football term?), improved defensive alignment, etc. You can't play football with twitchy players that interact more like Tecmo than anything I'd expect in 2012.

# 15 Bulls321974 @ 05/08/12 11:48 AM
I won't be thrilled a bit, because I got disappointed of EA way too many times yet...

# 16 Bulls321974 @ 05/08/12 11:49 AM
@Jayson Young: You hit the nail on the head! Very good comment! One of many reasons why "Madden" keeps disappointing me again and again...

# 17 SageInfinite @ 05/08/12 12:21 PM
Funny thing is I think Madden 10 was on the right track with the running/movement. Don't know why that was scrapped.

# 18 Illustrator76 @ 05/08/12 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
I don't know Jayson Young, but I'd love to send him a case of beer. He's 100% right in his comment at the end.
What's even funnier is that you do. He played in your Madden league this year. Don't you ever check your XBOX friends list for Gamertag changes, lol. It's been quite a while.

Click here if you still don't get it.

Spoiler

# 19 UMhester04 @ 05/08/12 05:13 PM
I have to again reiterate to everyone that the player movement must be tuned for EVERY PLAYER ON THE FIELD. If they only tune the user and leave the cpu players alone we will be in even more trouble than we are in now.

To anticipate people saying that tuning all 21 other cpu players will give the user a significant advantage, this should be false if it is done correctly, because the play should be even since everyone is going off the same system. The CPU being able to react within .01 of a second to me moving to change direction and both of us being able to zig zag around is a double faulted/flawed system. We need to get this right.

# 20 UMhester04 @ 05/08/12 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
Is this a serious post? Player movement should be able to be tuned generically. When players change direction whether it's done by a user using a stick or by the cpu, the same functional parameters restricting or enabling certain motions should be processed exactly the same. There is an animation engine in Madden which should regulate this. If they implemented it even 10% correectly they should be able to tune it to affect weight, momentum, etc. etc. This is one of those things that requires good programmers. If the tool doesn't have those things, then it's probably really hard for them to change the code to make the players move correctly.

Uhh...yeah it was serious? Im saying that it has to be done for all players on the field, I thought I made that clear. If it is not done this way, then it is not the right way and the game will still feel arcadish. Investments should be made to get a realistic movement engine such as fifa if the current engine cannot handle it. Period.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.