Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

DLG's Casey Mosier has posted his Madden NFL 13 hands-on impressions.

Quote:
This is a huge item for many of you (myself included) so let’s hit this topic right off the bat. The Passing system IS as advertised. Pass trajectories have been added so make sure you put touch on your throws when you need to. This has ELIMINATED the so-called super line backers. HOWEVER, if you throw a bullet pass directly to a linebacker with a receiver a few yards (5 maybe) behind him, you will possibly get picked off. I just wanted to put that in there for the folks who refuse to use actual passing windows like they are supposed to (and have to in the NFL). Use common sense and the pass will get there pending your QB can make the throw.
“Throwing a receiver open” is HUGE! It is a great feeling to see a receiver well covered and being able to aim the throw to where only he can catch it. Can you say back shoulder throws?!? That’s right, it is in there. I threw maybe 10-12 touchdowns using back shoulder throws, either at the goal line or in the end zone. Beautiful! Leading a receiver or throwing to a spot works very well (once again, if your QB can make a good throw) but is very much dependent on the user. It will take you a few games for sure to get used to the intricacies of the new system.

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Senator Palmer @ 05/15/12 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
You are going a bit over board here. Take what I said at face value and don't try and read more into it than I stated.

Biggest problem with that statement is that just calling the play doesn't mean a player will be in position to make the play regardless of their rating. Are Ray and Ed going to get themselves in position to make the play the majority of the time?!? Yes. But it is also the users responsibility to put them in the best situation via playcalling and adjustments and to some extent user control.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
As I said, forgive me if that's not what you meant. I'm not trying to read anything extra into what you posted. I'm strictly going off your words and you seemed pretty resolute in your POV.

Quote:
The game is meant to be played and players controlled when possible. I can't hold any developer responsible for people playing the game outside its intended use. EA is attempting to make a football game in my opinion for H2H and all that comes with that. What people do with that is on them. They can take advantage of the tools at their disposal or they can sit back call the plays and just snap the ball... Although I don't feel that is what the game is made for, its their choice. But once again if people want the experience intended, then they need to go outside their comfort zone.
I don't see how I'm going overboard and I don't know how else to read that.^ A game made for head to head and all that comes with that? Those are your words. You pretty implicitly saying that the game is made for user control. If that's not what you meant, fine, just say you misspoke, but don't try to turn it around on me(us) like we're pulling things out of thin air or twisting your words.

# 82 BezO @ 05/15/12 12:53 PM
Quote:
Sorry, but if Madden came out with Gameplay like nba 2k12 I would retire from Madden completely. That game is so broken on the court its crazy. Completely indefensible spin dunks with certain players... That is the epitome of arcade imo. At least in Madden 12 you could stop certain abuses and they weren't 100% unstoppable. Not to mention the painful 2-3 second animations and the game having to correct itself by sliding you into position to hit a three pointer or man up on d
Definitely agree with the spin dunks & sliding. But I like the game more for what it provides for 1 or 2 players that are interested in playing basketball. There's not much that I want to do that I can't do in that game.

With Madden '12, there's too much football missing, fundamental stuff. I just don't feel like I'm playing football.

But this definitely cleared up your opinion of Madden for me.

# 83 Smoke6 @ 05/15/12 12:55 PM
Quote:
Sorry, but if Madden came out with Gameplay like nba 2k12 I would retire from Madden completely. That game is so broken on the court its crazy. Completely indefensible spin dunks with certain players... That is the epitome of arcade imo. At least in Madden 12 you could stop certain abuses and they weren't 100% unstoppable. Not to mention the painful 2-3 second animations and the game having to correct itself by sliding you into position to hit a three pointer or man up on d

C'mon CM, we still got morphing INT's, Clipping of players to make impossible tackles at weird angles, Qb's who can run like a chicken with its neck cutoff and still making accurate passes, No pocket presence, Rinse and repeat of the same play and animation at will (just like you stated about 2k12), people running out of bounds and back in to make catches, Zig Zagging of full sprint players turning and changing direction on a dime.

List goes on and on and on, and thats just some of the gameplay issues, if any game would make one retire, it should be madden. Know one even knows what the game is suppose to represent, I never seen a freestyle arcade football league on TV before!

Grip reality here a bit, we know all games have their issues, but I bet you couldnt make a list of everything madden does right compared to how much it does wrong and come out happy!

# 84 raguel @ 05/15/12 12:59 PM
Quote:

I don't play nba 2k, for the simple reason that I stink at it, so I have little to say about it. My comment pertains more to football and it seems that from what you've written before our opinions differ widely, but you can address that by responding to the questions I posed to you earlier and I can judge from that.

Here's what I posted earlier:

The devs say timing matters in Madden 13. When I think of timing, I look at guys like Aikman and Brady. I expect that when a qb in Madden 13 finishes his drop the ball should be coming out of his hands. I expect that, at this time, the receiver is just entering his break, if he's started his break at all. As an aside, I also expect that the OL will block differently depending on the drop back of the qb, but baby steps and all that .

Based on your experience, would you say the above is true for Madden 12? Is it markedly true for Madden 13? Is it something you care about at all?

# 85 ch46647 @ 05/15/12 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoAid
see i played Madden on the PC from 2000-2008 in online franchises so i can't tell you about the console in those years. I would put the last Madden on the PC on the board too. With all the customization and fully functioning features, you could get really deep into that game.

I was a huge fan of the High Heat series on PC also.
You seem to be one of the biggest promoters of online franchise and online career modes I have ever seen on these boards. I did not even know Madden PC had online franchise mode. Haha

Considering you are putting Madden 13 as one of the best games in sports history FOR YOU. Tells me (speculating) that Madden 13 has some big time online franchise functionality coming. I will be thrilled if this is the case. My best friend moved down to Miami for a job and I would love to start an online franchise and play with him in that mode. As long as the online franchise has all the functionality of the offline franchise. (And bugs and glitches are all fixed) I think this would be incredibly fun!

# 86 N51_rob @ 05/15/12 01:04 PM
Are you seeing any "issues" that the dev team won't have time to fix, that will require a Day 1 patch? Also, when you guys are down there do you interact with the testers at all?

# 87 LBzrule @ 05/15/12 01:05 PM
Quote:
You are going a bit over board here. Take what I said at face value and don't try and read more into it than I stated.

Biggest problem with that statement is that just calling the play doesn't mean a player will be in position to make the play regardless of their rating. Are Ray and Ed going to get themselves in position to make the play the majority of the time?!? Yes. But it is also the users responsibility to put them in the best situation via playcalling and adjustments and to some extent user control.

I think you misunderstood Senator Palmer. Let me give you an example. Let's say I call cover 3 or even cover 1 and I have Ed Reed in the deep middle of the field. You send Ben Watson on a post to the middle of the field. I however an controlling Jameel McClain and dropping to a hook/curl. You throw the post. Is Ed Reed, who should be aggressive when the football is in the air (can't remember name of trait), going to sit back and just let Watson catch it or will he at least charge forward, then if I click on I can get the interception. Or will he just get the INT? I remember this vividly when I went to CD for Madden 10. I was playing the Vikings and I had a classic Ed Reed play. I was controlling Lewis, Tavares Jackson threw a pass over the middle and out of no where (no warping) Ed Reed jumped it and I took it to the house.

Will my A.I teammate Reed do those type of things or will he sit back when the ball is in the air, then I have to switch over and get him to move on the football. In either coverage I've put him in position to make a play.

# 88 azdawgpound @ 05/15/12 01:06 PM
Quote:
Derek Adams and I played Cowboys vs Browns several times and anytime I was stupid enough to not have Joe Haden on Dez or at least a man over top... Dez lit me up! But with the right concepts and play calling I was able to reign him in and control him.

was these games with the old rosters? was just curious on how the rookies played with browns.

# 89 Senator Palmer @ 05/15/12 01:06 PM
Quote:
Good lord, once again don't read more into than what I said. I am not an EA rep or employee. I am stating my opinion which is what this thread is essentially. If they did not want you to take control of players and user catch, user swat, user blitz... They wouldn't have put it in the game. H2H play now or H2H online play now are the most used game modes. So it only makes sense for them to continue to build and push towards the H2H experience (IN MY OPINION)

If you're just stating your opinion, then let me engage you there:

In your opinion, do you think there should be a premium on user control? Do you believe a user should have an advantage in making a spectacular catch vs. a user who just uses the QB to throw with timing and touch and lets the receiver make the play as their ratings would dictate? Or do you believe that the both outcomes should be the same?

# 90 SteelerSpartan @ 05/15/12 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan
How much ground can the average safety cover???....Will people have to think twice about bringing them down in the box now???

Quote:

Bueller??Bueller???

Besides the terrible OL/DL, Unrealistic safety play is another key culprit that tears down the realism in these games

Average Safeties being able to cover 3/4 the field has to stop

I'll ask this one more time an if any GCer can't answer/give any impressions on if people will be penalized for Zig-Zaging their safeties around.....

then Im going to hope its something you just can't talk about until June 4th and its not that that aspect of the game is still just awful as displayed in the cheese fests that are platinumplayajc's recent vids here on OS

# 91 LBzrule @ 05/15/12 01:11 PM
Quote:
Number 1... I'm not throwing at Ed Reed in Madden 13... I learned that lesson with Shopmaster having Revis on his team. If i did throw thati would use the new touch and throw it away from Reed and pray to god he didnt come over and get it. Yes he will still attempt to make a play if you arent controlling him. But if he wiffs on the play under cpu control then I would be mad as the user for not taking control and attempting to make the play myself.
Ohh I agree with that. I just wanted to know if he would attack the football. Cool,

Thanks.

# 92 RynoAid @ 05/15/12 01:15 PM
Quote:
i felt player movement was toned down significantly in that regard... just my opinion though.
agreed....

# 93 RynoAid @ 05/15/12 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
I did not even know Madden PC had online franchise mode. Haha
http://www.answers.com/topic/madden-nfl-2001-game-2

In terms of league settings, customizable options allow you to choose the number of teams in your franchise (6, 12, 18, 24 or 31), minutes (1-5) per draft pick, fantasy drafting, coach changes, salary caps, trade deadlines, and career statistics.

Gameplay modes feature Exhibition, Situational or Franchise. In the latter, an option is provided to play either straight season or franchise management with the difference being post-season options. In seasonal play, repeat seasons are allowed but rosters don't change through player retirement, contract negotiations and drafting procedures. Franchise mode allows those aspects to be fully realized, along with changing player attributes, and keeps franchise structures fluid and dynamic.

# 94 Senator Palmer @ 05/15/12 01:26 PM
Quote:
Having user control SHOULD NOT EVER in my opinion override the ratings. Now I feel that Madden 13 does not override the ratings like I felt Madden 12 did. The only reward i felt you gain with user control was the "wow" factor and sense of accomplishment in M13.
Cool.

Quote:
Thats my opinon... its not a statement from god lol.
Fair enough, but let me just say that as a Game Changer with multiple CD attendances, face-to-face interaction with devs, and a column on EA's website, when you make a statement on how the game is meant to be played it carries a little more weight than the average poster around here dealing in speculation. It reads as someone with direct knowledge who knows what they are talking about.

As I stated I didn't mean to pile on, I just want to know where you stand because when you go to these CDs you are the voice of the community. And we've seen what kind of sway you guys can have as evidenced by TNT's epic college paper and interactions with devs that directly led to the removal of the vision cone.

# 95 ch46647 @ 05/15/12 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoAid
http://www.answers.com/topic/madden-nfl-2001-game-2

In terms of league settings, customizable options allow you to choose the number of teams in your franchise (6, 12, 18, 24 or 31), minutes (1-5) per draft pick, fantasy drafting, coach changes, salary caps, trade deadlines, and career statistics.

Gameplay modes feature Exhibition, Situational or Franchise. In the latter, an option is provided to play either straight season or franchise management with the difference being post-season options. In seasonal play, repeat seasons are allowed but rosters don't change through player retirement, contract negotiations and drafting procedures. Franchise mode allows those aspects to be fully realized, along with changing player attributes, and keeps franchise structures fluid and dynamic.
That is AWESOME!! So pretty much every feature from offline franchise was ported to the online franchise for the PC version back then? And it gave you all those awesome manager functions as well??

That is incredible if that is the case....

EDIT: Did it even have the Tony Bruno show? I used to love that back then..

# 96 SteelerSpartan @ 05/15/12 01:28 PM
Quote:
i felt player movement was toned down significantly in that regard... just my opinion though.

Im going to keep my eye on this until Retail...because this along with the Reduced QB Gliding speed are something I fear they will be very reluctant to follow through with because of all the cheese people have based their "gameplans" around in the past

And making those changes is a nice test to see how much they really want to make this a SIM

Fight Night Champion Community Day shenanigans have me worried that devs may have tuned the game for them(SIM minded guys) an pulled a fast one on them for the Retail....Phobia(CD Guy) came away especially soured an disappointed by the whole experience

# 97 RynoAid @ 05/15/12 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Cool.

Fair enough, but let me just say that as a Game Changer with multiple CD attendances, face-to-face interaction with devs, and a column on EA's website, when you make a statement on how the game is meant to be played it carries a little more weight than the average poster around here dealing in speculation. It reads as someone with direct knowledge who knows what they are talking about.

As I stated I didn't mean to pile on, I just want to know where you stand because when you go to these CDs you are the voice of the community. And we've seen what kind of sway you guys can have as evidenced by TNT's epic college paper and interactions with devs that directly led to the removal of the vision cone.

I would not consider myself very good with the sticks, more of a call your play, hike it and throw guy.. I will occasionally user catch and user pick but it is not featured in my strategy.

I enjoyed the game thoroughly and felt i could be effective without having to user intervene at times. I was very competitive in the User v User games we had in the tournament too... i kept the game close most of the time and won a few.

# 98 LambertandHam @ 05/15/12 01:50 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with User Catch. My DB's hate me when I go for the pick and blow a play

# 99 Gotmadskillzson @ 05/15/12 02:01 PM
Quote:
Im going to keep my eye on this until Retail...because this along with the Reduced QB Gliding speed are something I fear they will be very reluctant to follow through with because of all the cheese people have based their "gameplans" around in the past

And making those changes is a nice test to see how much they really want to make this a SIM

Fight Night Champion Community Day shenanigans have me worried that devs may have tuned the game for them(SIM minded guys) an pulled a fast one on them for the Retail....Phobia(CD Guy) came away especially soured an disappointed by the whole experience
And who was over Fight Night Champion ? Cam Weber......

So I take everything at face value until the retail version come out. Over the years I seen it happen way too many times. People say the game excellent.....come retail version, the build has been changed and all the stuff they had seen prior to retail either never made it to retail or it got watered down so much that it is ineffective.

# 100 Skyboxer @ 05/15/12 02:30 PM
Quote:
Ratings do matter but you are missing a huge part of the game if you dont throw your receiver open or throwing to a spot. The game is designed to user catch (imo).

Hope not. If so, for me, it would be a no buy. I know that sounds extreme but I really have zero desire to user anything. I also most times set up auto passing ala a coach mode...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.