Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

DLG's Casey Mosier has posted his Madden NFL 13 hands-on impressions.

Quote:
This is a huge item for many of you (myself included) so let’s hit this topic right off the bat. The Passing system IS as advertised. Pass trajectories have been added so make sure you put touch on your throws when you need to. This has ELIMINATED the so-called super line backers. HOWEVER, if you throw a bullet pass directly to a linebacker with a receiver a few yards (5 maybe) behind him, you will possibly get picked off. I just wanted to put that in there for the folks who refuse to use actual passing windows like they are supposed to (and have to in the NFL). Use common sense and the pass will get there pending your QB can make the throw.
“Throwing a receiver open” is HUGE! It is a great feeling to see a receiver well covered and being able to aim the throw to where only he can catch it. Can you say back shoulder throws?!? That’s right, it is in there. I threw maybe 10-12 touchdowns using back shoulder throws, either at the goal line or in the end zone. Beautiful! Leading a receiver or throwing to a spot works very well (once again, if your QB can make a good throw) but is very much dependent on the user. It will take you a few games for sure to get used to the intricacies of the new system.

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 LBzrule @ 05/15/12 07:14 PM
Can someone talk about WR route running. How does it look? Are players exploding off the line. Also, in the one clip where Woodson plays press coverage on Williams, and Williams catches it to the outside, let me ask, what did a success press, cover and defend pass look like even with a pass to the outside or inside wherever the DB was? Also, did you guys get any glimpse of what side the DB's tended to play more towards in man coverage on certain routes which determined which way you would lead the throw? Can you complete a back shoulder throw? How successful was it?

# 142 Bootzilla @ 05/15/12 07:43 PM
Are timing routes true timing routes? i.e. 3,5,7, step drop and the balls out?

If you're throwing a route that should be timed can you throw the ball to the spot or will
the ball attempt to go directly to the receiver? I hated getting to the top of my drop and lead passing toward the sideline only to have the route be poorly timed and the pass being thrown directly at the back of the receiver.

If a receiver is being jostled at the line of scrimmage, say on a 9 or a fade route, can you lead the receiver as he comes free or will the pass be thrown only as deep as the receiver?

Is the "throw the receiver open" too overpowered. I hated how in the other game the intended route could essentially be completely changed while the ball was in the air. Heck, you could turn a post into a corner and the receiver would magically, magnetically change his route and make an impossible adjustment.

Even the out routes that were shown in NCAA and Madden 13 were a little unrealistic. If a receiver is running an out route he's going to be pretty flat and it's a helluva adjustment to turn that route into a corner route.

Were you guys auto-dropping to test the timing or were you manual dropping?

# 143 SageInfinite @ 05/15/12 08:08 PM
I'd like to know how the catch animations look on the back shoulder throws. I was really hoping Madden got those in this year. Nice to hear they have. Can't wait to see them.

# 144 jfsolo @ 05/15/12 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
Having user control SHOULD NOT EVER in my opinion override the ratings. Now I feel that Madden 13 does not override the ratings like I felt Madden 12 did. The only reward i felt you gain with user control was the "wow" factor and sense of accomplishment in M13.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoAid
I would not consider myself very good with the sticks, more of a call your play, hike it and throw guy.. I will occasionally user catch and user pick but it is not featured in my strategy.

I enjoyed the game thoroughly and felt i could be effective without having to user intervene at times. I was very competitive in the User v User games we had in the tournament too... i kept the game close most of the time and won a few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureEffect
I mention something about this in my video coming up tonight on TSS. I feel like the playing field has been equalized a bit with Madden 13. I think I was one of the only ones to beat Mole the whole time we were down there; although he won the tournament and killed me when we played in it...I have & had no fear going up against tournament players as a player who much like you Ryno..calls the play, hikes it, and lets it run its course unless intervening is needed.

As far as "User" catching goes; I dont think its a necessity that you do it but you have the option to and it may make you slightly better than someone who does not use it. If I feel the ball could possibly be intercepted; I will try and user catch but otherwise I just put the ball in a spot to where only my WR should be able to catch it and let the CPU do its thing.
Quote:
Yes but you will have to take into account if the WR is looking for the ball this year with the new "icon" system and players actually looking for the ball to make a play. I feel safe throwing to a spot on a 10-15 yard out route before the WR makes his cut but I wouldn't say it's 100%. You have to take into account the QB & the WR.

I am a huge fan of APF2K8s passing game and the maximum passing controls and with that said...I like the one thats in M13; especially how you can throw a WR open and the WR will adjust his route to make an appropriate catch.

I think a lot of us were about to step out on to the ledge, but there is a lot of solid clarification here. I personally agree that making User plays is much more satisfying then letting the CPU do it. I also agree with Big FN Deal that User controling should be a higher risk than the CPU of crappy execution, or misplays. The best a User should expect is to get player to play to his max ratings. No more Brian Finneran, demi-god, scenarios.

Even if there are still flaws in the game design wise, when compared to how things work in the NFL, a major, major step forward will have occurred when a CPU-only player can play against a H2H-only player with teams of equivalent talent, playing his normal game and have most of the games be competitive, instead of worrying about being Jedi Mind Tricked into submission.

# 145 stiffarmleft @ 05/15/12 08:55 PM
Quote:
Yes but you will have to take into account if the WR is looking for the ball this year with the new "icon" system and players actually looking for the ball to make a play. I feel safe throwing to a spot on a 10-15 yard out route before the WR makes his cut but I wouldn't say it's 100%. You have to take into account the QB & the WR.

I am a huge fan of APF2K8s passing game and the maximum passing controls and with that said...I like the one thats in M13; especially how you can throw a WR open and the WR will adjust his route to make an appropriate catch.
Thanks for the info, APF2k8 is the gold standard for passing IMO, so if it's truly better that would be great. Another small nit pick about madden's passing game compared to 2K8 is how the ball left the QB's hand, the animation was off in madden and it never looked truly like it was being thrown but shot putted, has this been addressed.

# 146 Jaaa @ 05/15/12 09:45 PM
Quote:

Ok, consider me extremely interested now. 2K8's passing was, IMO, light years ahead of M12. So for someone from TSS to say its even approached that level, let alone prefer M13's passing (not entirely sure if that was what you meant?), well, it's gonna be a long wait for the demo. For the record, I would love nothing more than to call Madden X better than 2K8, I just have uncompromising standards.

# 147 shaunlmason @ 05/15/12 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Why would you say something like this when OS was represented in the past, still has Rgiles, Redzone, TSS goes and on numerous occasions RynoAid, Casey and Shaun Mason have consistently stated in these forums they constructively criticize the developers when they are down there.

We really don't know how we are represented until we go down ourselves, but I don't think anyone here is lying, either.
Just to clarify I have not been a Madden attendee, I've been down 4 times for NCAA this year.

# 148 shaunlmason @ 05/15/12 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmallwood
I'm not calling anybody a liar...I'm just saying EA is going to keep bringing in people who have accepted the mediocrity that has been Madden over this current gen. And the CD folks could very well see one thing down in Orlando and then be surprised when August comes and everything has changed...I'm not sure about that, I'm only saying there has been a certain consistency with the people they have sent down there. That's all Road, I'm not saying people are lying.
What exactly do you know about me? I resent the fact that you are blatantly impugning my credibility when I've been as transparent as the NDA allows. Last NCAA community day I was running plays in practice and describing results to OS members so they could give me input. See if anyone else is doing that.

I've said when I thought things needed work, when they were broken and when I had to hang my head because things weren't getting fixed this cycle.

I'm never been a yes man and I never will be. I don't flinch telling my wife she is wrong. I don't hesitate to tell my boss he when he full of it. I drive RynoAid crazy with how abrasive I am at times. I have 2000ish TSO members who will tell you that like me or hate me I'll always shoot straight. I'm sure as crap not going to tolerate some random troll on the interwebz trying to undermine my credibility.

Simply put, as a guest on Maury would say, "You don't know me!"

Now back to the topic if you will.

# 149 shaunlmason @ 05/15/12 11:56 PM
Quote:

Is it bad I've never played APF2K8? I need to find a used copy so I can relate, haha. I played the ever loving heck out if NFL2K5 though.

# 150 JasonZimmerman @ 05/15/12 11:59 PM
I like to play from Broadcast view. It's a little harder, but it really makes me feel like I'm watching the game on TV. Of course I can't do it playing someone else, but I do it in Francise mode. Anyone play with that view yet?

# 151 shaunlmason @ 05/16/12 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonZimmerman
I like to play from Broadcast view. It's a little harder, but it really makes me feel like I'm watching the game on TV. Of course I can't do it playing someone else, but I do it in Francise mode. Anyone play with that view yet?
I've never tried it...is depth perception hard? I remember NFL Head Coach had that view and I could never see the receivers downfield, I was always surprised when balls were completed.

# 152 RedZoneD25 @ 05/16/12 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Mason
I've never tried it...is depth perception hard? I remember NFL Head Coach had that view and I could never see the receivers downfield, I was always surprised when balls were completed.
Broadcast Cam in Madden is a fun challenge, I highly recommend it if you ever want a change of pace. You're right, you lose the WRs on deep routes and the controls are difficult to get used to since it's all flipped sideways, but I enjoy it occasionally.

As far as Head Coach goes, there's only one legitimate camera in that game and it's Overhead.

# 153 JasonZimmerman @ 05/16/12 12:06 AM
Lol...Actually Shaun I found running the ball to be easier in this view, for some reason I just see the blocks better. Sometimes it can be difficult to see the receiver's but if I read the D right...I'll usually complete it. I didn't use it in 11 cause a lot of the mid-field logos were upside down, and it bothered me..lol

# 154 Senator Palmer @ 05/16/12 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Can someone talk about WR route running. How does it look? Are players exploding off the line. Also, in the one clip where Woodson plays press coverage on Williams, and Williams catches it to the outside, let me ask, what did a success press, cover and defend pass look like even with a pass to the outside or inside wherever the DB was? Also, did you guys get any glimpse of what side the DB's tended to play more towards in man coverage on certain routes which determined which way you would lead the throw? Can you complete a back shoulder throw? How successful was it?
Also, I didn't see this asked, but on a 9 route, can you drop the ball over the receiver's outside shoulder? For the longest time, I found that if I tried to ease the right stick to the outside shoulder of the receiver on a 9 route the ball would more times than not wind up thrown out of bounds.

And can you loft the ball to the back of the endzone similar to this?

# 155 avwhitechic @ 05/16/12 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
From what I saw, yes they attacked the ball.

If people choose not to take control of the players and make plays that is their choice. The game is meant to be played and players controlled when possible. I can't hold any developer responsible for people playing the game outside its intended use. EA is attempting to make a football game in my opinion for H2H and all that comes with that. What people do with that is on them. They can take advantage of the tools at their disposal or they can sit back call the plays and just snap the ball... Although I don't feel that is what the game is made for, its their choice. But once again if people want the experience intended, then they need to go outside their comfort zone.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Please dont EVER use the term TOOLS again...i thought we got rid of this guy lol

# 156 avwhitechic @ 05/16/12 01:24 AM
Throw in a LATER also....TNT

B.T.W. if it really is u...IM DISCOUNTING THE WHOLE BLOG

# 157 PVarck31 @ 05/16/12 01:56 AM
Enough with the TNT stuff.

# 158 StL_RamZ @ 05/16/12 02:04 AM
Is there offensive strafe??

Can the WR batt the ball down if he can't get it it in time before its about to get intercepted like good old ps2 day???

# 159 AzureEffect @ 05/16/12 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Mason
Is it bad I've never played APF2K8? I need to find a used copy so I can relate, haha. I played the ever loving heck out if NFL2K5 though.
Pretty soon you wont be able to find it. I have one for both systems; try ebay..there is usually 1 or 2 hidden in Gamestop but it is a MUST try for any Football fan. Its at least worth a try for like less than $5.

# 160 shaunlmason @ 05/16/12 10:08 AM
Quote:
Pretty soon you wont be able to find it. I have one for both systems; try ebay..there is usually 1 or 2 hidden in Gamestop but it is a MUST try for any Football fan. Its at least worth a try for like less than $5.
Yea, a buddy of mine runs the local Gamestop, I can have him order me one.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.