Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 PGaither84 @ 05/14/12 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
By all means give feedback as brutal as you want -- as long as you don't call me names(!)
It simply sounds like the only thing that changed in the commentary were the voice actors.

I LOVE the return of the QB cadence for star QBs. I love the new sound effects and little thing.

However, the commentary is still bland and intentionally generic. I know some of this was by design, because you said before that you don't want Mad-Lib. The beginning of the video sounds nice until we get to the 18 second mark when Sims says, "... they are going to have some different answers for the team today." Not even "for their opponents" That doesn't even make sense.

Next, the gap of music while the players are warning up could be filled with realistic sounding player audio like we had in Madden 11.

Next, Nantz says "The ball is on the tee, the teams are in position and this game is about to begin" comes in too early as the kicker hasn't even placed it on the tee. If the audio was set to start when the kicking meter pops up, it would sound more natural. Then, he says "the Cowboys are ready to run back this kick" could play right after the prior dialog while the ball is in the air. A little change that would look and sound better. Even if payers skip the "tee up" animation, it would be fine, because the commentary should start until the kick meter pops up on screen.

I like the interruption for the interception in the following clip!

The bit after that sounded alright, and I'm sure would sound a LOT better with crowd noise.

The next play with the sack also sounds great.

The sack/fumble/TD play would sound better if there was more of a "Scoop and score" commentary type of dialog. Also, the commentary disappears when he takes the snap from the gun. There is no mention of the snap, or that it is from shotgun or anything... unlike the Eagles TD play. Just a long pause then "buying-the ball is jarred lose-he's got the TD" The part about "he's got the TD" sound more like a run play TD to me. I don't know Nantz very well, but shouldn't there be different commentary for a defensive score? Sims did a good job of talking about it after Nantz.

In just a short teaser we hear the same audio about driving down the field and scoring a TD with the lead twice. Really, you couldn't find a 2nd clip to choose from? Maybe not, maybe this was from an early recording session... but I also know the history of the game, and in Madden 12 after my first TD pass of the game 90% or more Gus makes some comment about a defender going for a pick even when it didn't happen. So, I know we have "It's a work in progress" and I also know the history of the franchise... so I don't buy into the "Work in progress" excuse too much. PROVE me wrong... PLEASE!

# 62 RM813 @ 05/14/12 10:58 PM
Am I the only one that noticed that Philip Rivers threw to #83 Jackson? #83 is now a Buccaneer. I wonder how old this footage is and why leak it? Maybe the game will be much better than this and this footage is to throw us off?

# 63 roadman @ 05/14/12 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi XIII
i can't imagine there's much more they can do. I'd assume Jim & Phil are done with their work which is way EA is showcasing the audio and making presentation videos about it (maybe they can bring them back, and add a whole lot more to match other sports games from now til release, but I doubt it). You can be optimistic about it, but the fact EA actually seems to feel this showcases their best commentary work so far is worth the concern & constructive criticism imo. It's still not even close to current and past sports games on these console still.
I agree with most of this, but they didn't show us a lot today. Crowd noise, crowd chants, crowd swells, etc......

I just don't feel they showed us everything today, including not much game play audio at all.

# 64 Aggies7 @ 05/14/12 11:01 PM
Better than Gus Johnson. But I did hear the same comment made twice about going down the field and scoring which will change the other teams

And I know it's nitpicking. But would be nice if they acknowledged who won the first matchup for division rivals.

# 65 marshallfever @ 05/14/12 11:01 PM
If this wasn't labeled Madden 13, i would of assumed it was any other previous madden, the commentary sounded generic from what they showed off. The game looked exactly like Madden 10 which 2-3 years ago was awesome, but it's been 2-3 years lol

I'm still sort of hyped for it, but this video did nothing to generate more hype from me, it actually sort of depressed me a bit lol

# 66 Tyrant8RDFL @ 05/14/12 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
By all means give feedback as brutal as you want -- as long as you don't call me names(!)
I will be very honest , and will do it in a very respectful manner.

The video did absolutely nothing for me. Watching the video only confirmed once again what I have felt for years now. This engine must go.

I do not like the animations. I dont like the stop and go movement the players tend to have at times. What I mean by this is when they get into a stance they stand like statues. It looks unnatural. I could understand on the offensive side, but not on the defensive side.
The transition of one animation to another also looks bad to me. It just doen't look natural. It looks awkward and uncomfortable. The players tend to move like players playing with a injury, and not being able to move gracefully.

Now I will not be foolish to say the game is not different simply because I'm watching a video and not actually playing the game, but this video is not convincing me. I just feel down at this time to be honest.

This video just knocked June 4th down on my list. I will see what the announcement is, but I'm really on the side of the fence where I feel I won't be blown away.

I'm convinced that in order for Madden to be with the big boys. They have to change the engine.

This current engine produces nice eye candy, but fails in other areas to me.

# 67 bigsmallwood @ 05/14/12 11:19 PM
The QB cadences sound nice, BUT the rest was pretty boring. The commentary sounds the same as ever. It is not that Gus, Chris, Phil, or Jim are bad commentators....it has to be the way EA is implementing it. I really am not interested in people talking about this being an earlier build (as the same people say every year), only for us to find out in August, it is the same thing we saw before June. The commentary is too scripted, they don't discuss the differences in teams, key players etc. It is all very generic and that does not allow for anybody to be immersed.

I'm sure the Pass Trajectories will make a huge diference in the passing game, however too much of the game looks untouched. I will be looking for June 4th, 2012 to see what the big "bomb" will be.....#patientlywaiting

# 68 SageInfinite @ 05/14/12 11:26 PM
Glad to have Gus gone though.

# 69 sydrogerdavid @ 05/14/12 11:32 PM
Good thing I'm not buying this game.

# 70 lgxjames @ 05/14/12 11:33 PM
okay...well...I did expect more energy, and it still seemed like alot of empty space. Hard to judge right now tho..

# 71 kjjnesb @ 05/14/12 11:36 PM
Having seen this I kinda wish they would have taken the audio diary today and highlighted what the new sound engine allows them to do going forward vs the old one.

# 72 PVarck31 @ 05/14/12 11:42 PM
Was this a video that EA officially released? I'm just curious.

# 73 SteelerSpartan @ 05/14/12 11:45 PM

The Batwing is EAs hype in this thread apparently

I'll admit it didn't do much for me either but I'll give them until E3 to sync everything up an impress me with what they got for the year...

After that I might open up a bit if the audio an other things remain Madden level bland

# 74 ClevelandinDistress @ 05/14/12 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
You do realize that it was a video about audio and announcing right? They could have pulled that game footage from 2 months ago and put the commentary on it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Excuse me if I'm wrong but when has a game in the last 10 years changed dramatically in 2 months. And besides that, he wasn't talking about the particular gameplay but the fact the game looks the exact same way due to the engine. I think this guy, along with everyone else is sick and tired of this optimism every year, and sure enough the first gameplay videos come out and it just hammers home the fact this engine won't produce any better results. Not the fact that the gameplay is 2 months old or unpolished etc.

# 75 jmik58 @ 05/15/12 12:02 AM
1. PA announcer has to go. Just turn it off.
2. Commentary is very unnatural and forced, but that's Jim Nance. He has a dry delivery.
3. Where is the crowd NOISE???!!! It was dead quiet on the Chargers TD. Simms was jabbering away and the home crowd was nowhere. Is that an audio balancing issue?
4. LB's actually were frozen on the play-action. Very nice.
5. The sack by SD on KC was ridiculous. The RT (Brandon Albert) just stood there and watched the DE run by him. Some serious AI issues.

# 76 d11king @ 05/15/12 12:07 AM
Are you serious? You guys are saying this is better than Gus & Chris. All the scoring plays were bland... Listen to how he reacts to the interception, the fumble sack TD, it sounds as simple as a 2 yard gain. The only emotion came from the Chargers sack! This is a joke. Wait until December when everyone is begging for Gus back.

# 77 ClevelandinDistress @ 05/15/12 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
1. PA announcer has to go. Just turn it off.
2. Commentary is very unnatural and forced, but that's Jim Nance. He has a dry delivery.
3. Where is the crowd NOISE???!!! It was dead quiet on the Chargers TD. Simms was jabbering away and the home crowd was nowhere. Is that an audio balancing issue?
4. LB's actually were frozen on the play-action. Very nice.
5. The sack by SD on KC was ridiculous. The RT (Brandon Albert) just stood there and watched the DE run by him. Some serious AI issues.
June 4th better be good or else this is just the same stuff we've been seeing for years

# 78 spankdatazz22 @ 05/15/12 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan

The Batwing is EAs hype in this thread apparently
A coworker last week just pointed out to me last week how hilariously ridiculous this scene was that Batman has the Joker on radar lock and misses him with everything, guns and missles lol. Then the Joker pulls out a clown gun and takes the Batwing down with one shot.

I do think EA/Tiburon would do themselves a favor not hyping things that aren't hype-worthy. But it's almost as if they exist in a vacuum, where they judge their accomplishments only against their previous efforts - and not what's going on around them. I do think Nance and Simms sounds noticeably better than last year's duo, but big picture that's not saying much given M12's commentary is arguably the worst ever in a sports game. Since the new audio technology has been being pointed to/hyped almost since the release of M12 last year, this brief introduction comes off as a disappointment.

# 79 DeuceDouglas @ 05/15/12 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandinDistress
Excuse me if I'm wrong but when has a game in the last 10 years changed dramatically in 2 months. And besides that, he wasn't talking about the particular gameplay but the fact the game looks the exact same way due to the engine. I think this guy, along with everyone else is sick and tired of this optimism every year, and sure enough the first gameplay videos come out and it just hammers home the fact this engine won't produce any better results. Not the fact that the gameplay is 2 months old or unpolished etc.
I'd say it's pretty obvious EA is hiding something big until June 4th and it's directly affecting these playbook releases. I mean this was the Audio Playbook and they showed us almost nothing with audio in actual gameplay. The easiest way to preview the new commentary would be by showing us it in the game. The two intro segments they showed during the livestream were very well put together.

I think I'll wait until I hear more than a minute of the approximately 82 hours of recorded commentary before I judge it.

# 80 Big_Mig_11 @ 05/15/12 12:20 AM
I just hate how vague the commentating was, especially in the opening commentating, I hate when they say "home team" or "road team". Disappointing especially when it comes to a divisional match up. There are only 2 options going into the 2nd game of a divisional match up, either team A or Team B look for the season sweep.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.