Home
NCAA Football 13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game: NCAA Football 13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 60 - View All
NCAA Football 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 redsfan4life @ 05/17/12 08:32 PM
The only thing that would get me to purchase it is if Online Dynasty runs without a hitch. Last year was a disaster on that front. Lucky for them Online Dynasty can mask a lot of deficiencies.

# 82 J-Unit40 @ 05/17/12 08:37 PM
I can't wait to play. I am ready for some NCAA 13.

Commentary lacks a flow like the hoops games and baseball games though. Animations are looking pretty good and fresh. Love the ticker and updates.

# 83 LionsFanNJ @ 05/17/12 08:39 PM
I'm wondering if marketing is thinking this is a GOOD video to push their product? I mean there isn't really much good shown in the video outside of the ticker and studio update. No discernable difference in the passing game (a deep pass caught in stride would be a GREAT example. Hint hint) no noticeable read and react defense (hey a read option where the cb doesn't immediately crash down and the lb doesn't blitz would be a GREAT example HINT HINT). I know they notice almost every comment here says "looks like NCAA 12".

We all know the line play will be **** this year (what tuning?) But at least show off the other stuff in action. That being said since I'm getting it for 45 and what they did overall with recruiting, besides de's being useless, I can't complain much. It'll be entertaining for what it is, quasi-sim/arcade football.

Bet those damn dt's get on my nerves again this year though.

# 84 PVarck31 @ 05/17/12 08:42 PM
I don't know. I am kinda torn. It definitely looks a lot like 12. I guess its understandable. I mean would they really do a complete graphical overhaul with only 1 or 2 this-gen iterations left? Although I want them to fix the socks so the sock people will be happy.

The thing that keeps me intrigued is the new passing, and the defensive improvements. If the AI plays football, and doesn't know my plays I think I can get a lot of enjoyment out of this game. Other flaws notwithstanding.

# 85 Gotmadskillzson @ 05/17/12 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
This is really all i'm wanting to see....

I don't care about Human gameplay anymore. I want to see CPU AI behavior and how CPU teams perform on their own.

But i'm afraid EA will not release videos of this because it could hinder sales.

I mean think about it if they show a team like Georgia Tech and the CPU can't execute the option that would be bad business for them IMO.

Also if the CPU QB doesn't scramble life like how do you think we will respond on these boards?

EA is famous for only showing videos they want to market and most of those recently have not been what has transpired on the field for the actual gameplay.

But then again we are the minority the casual gamer doesn't a give crap about how the CPU plays.

This is a era for online gamming and EA caters their game to fit that mode the best.

I'm afraid the days of seeing NCAA CPU AI behave like NCAA 06 is over now.
Probably so.....I can careless what the human can do in the game because a skilled human player can HIDE the problems with the game. More interested in what the CPU can do. Let me see a CPU controlled Army, Air Force, Georgia Tech, Oregon running the option and spread offense. Let me see Nevada run the pistol offense. Hell let me see SMU run the run n shoot, Texas Tech running the Air Raid.

As it stands now, the only offenses the CPU can run is the pro style and the single back. Everything else, they have serious problems running, with the option and spread offenses being the WORSE of the bunch.

Good thing I got this on pre-order from Amazon for $45 after tax. Couldn't see myself buying this at full price.

Nothing in these videos in the past couple of weeks jumped out and made me say oh damnnnnnn, did you see that ? It was like I was watching a Hauppauge PVR recording of NCAA 12 and somebody used Sony Vegas to put the ESPN ticker at the bottom of the screen.

# 86 Cane305 @ 05/17/12 08:53 PM
I think they made the game $45 for a reason now lol

# 87 tested29 @ 05/17/12 08:56 PM
I had to register an account to just to comment on this video. I've been a long time lurker, but never bothered to post cause I never felt the need to.

Anyway, I can't believe this is what EA puts out to entice people to buy this game. Yes normal fans will go, "ooh and ahh." But this video showed me nothing I wanted to see. I repeat, nothing. To be completely honest - I don't care about the studio updates, the new entrances, the new sounds, new atmosphere, etc, etc.

I skip through the cut scenes and commentary before games cause I dont have the time to watch it. Plus, I mute my TV and listen to music when I play 95% of the time. I know this stuff is important to some people, but if they want to put out a video showing improvements then show me the new recruiting in dynasty. Show me two of the new teams playing that have been added this year. Show me something that is truly, "new".

I will admit however it was nice to hear the drum line. That made it feel much more like a real college football game. But things like this only go so far for me. I can't say I feel all that excited about anything else they've shown so far. Once again EA slaps a coat of paint on the game and says, "Here! Look! Look how pretty it is!"

Thing is, pretty only goes so far.

EDIT - LionsFanNJ beat me to it. I agree completely.

# 88 jenglund @ 05/17/12 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
This is really all i'm wanting to see....

I don't care about Human gameplay anymore. I want to see CPU AI behavior and how CPU teams perform on their own.
EXACTLY. How does the CPU offense play? Good clock management? Run the option and spread?

If not, what's the point?

# 89 PVarck31 @ 05/17/12 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenglund
EXACTLY. How does the CPU offense play? Good clock management? Run the option and spread?

If not, what's the point?
Yep. If this kind of stuff is improved than this can be a good game. I can get over the lack of presentation.

# 90 bad_philanthropy @ 05/17/12 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
This series never had true gang tackles. The most they ever had was 2 hit tackles but that's it. The last EA game to have true gang tackling was Madden 10.
Nope. '11 had it where guys could really pile on to a ball carrier. Believe it was "pro-tak." It was mysteriously gone from '12 and looks like it's still gone. I really liked its implementation in '11 too.

On a nitpicky note, I thought '11 looked quite a bit better than '12. I think the 3d grass cost the textures in the resolution department.

# 91 shaunlmason @ 05/17/12 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Nope. '11 had it where guys could really pile on to a ball carrier. Believe it was "pro-tak." It was mysteriously gone from '12 and looks like it's still gone. I really liked its implementation in '11 too.

On a nitpicky note, I thought '11 looked quite a bit better than '12. I think the 3d grass cost the textures in the resolution department.

The only thing I didn't like about Pro-Tak was on occasion a ball carrier would have 5 guys hanging on him but somehow go beast mode and shrug them all off like The Hulk, then take off for a TD.

# 92 SageInfinite @ 05/17/12 09:14 PM
So many little animations could make this game so much better for me. For example on the TD play, the db got beat. Instead of having him just move around like a robot, have him react. Make him reach for the ball he couldn't get to or something. Game just seems so stale and dead to me.

# 93 KG @ 05/17/12 09:14 PM
I forgot all about the group hug aka Pro-Tak.

Didn't see much improvement in the actual gameplay. On the first run USC's HB still runs just as fast east-west as he does north-south. Why can't they implement proper footwork? A HB is either going to stick his cleats in the dirt and make a jump-cut, run at an angle with an increase in acceleration, or round out his run with shoulders facing the sidelines (a no-no for most RBs)..

Animations seemed a little smoother and I could definitely hear the drums but overall it was eh.

Like others have said. The true measure for me will be seeing the CPU effectively run distinct offenses.

# 94 PRAY IV M3RCY @ 05/17/12 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
Commentary is my one major complaint with the NCAA series. It's easily my favorite game of the year, but hearing Brad and Kirk say the same stuff year after year after year really wears on you. Especially if you play every single game of a 8-10 year dynasty like I do. I was ecstatic when they got rid of Corso. I was tired of hearing him declare how much he liked short passes.
one major complaint?. idk thats your opinion but wouldnt you want to see realistic player movement and footplanting in this game. I am getting tired of the 'ice skating" or "floating" feeling that is a monumental game killer in this game. Thats my two cents

# 95 SageInfinite @ 05/17/12 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Mason
The only thing I didn't like about Pro-Tak was on occasion a ball carrier would have 5 guys hanging on him but somehow go beast mode and shrug them all off like The Hulk, then take off for a TD.
Exactly. Could've been good if tuned and perfected on.

# 96 bad_philanthropy @ 05/17/12 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Mason
Very true. Seemed like that happened more frequently in Madden. I thought the overall visual of pro-tak really added to the authenticity of the game though. There were some other animations outside the giant "group hug" that were pretty nice too. Where did pro-tak go and why are there no gang tackles in the game anymore!?

# 97 gator3guy @ 05/17/12 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECElite3
Not to mention USC is the home team and on offense the entire time. The crowd is generally tame until the home defense takes the field. I would have liked to have seen Oregon take some snaps.
Like some others have said, I think they intentionally didn't show Oregon on offense because of the AI. I hope this isn't the case, but I should know better.

Also agree with showing different teams. Show the new teams, show the Sun Belt, show the MAC, etc.

# 98 buckeyebaggins4 @ 05/17/12 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy

holy cow...anyone else think the colors on ncaa 11 look WAY better than they currently do?

# 99 jp7588 @ 05/17/12 09:22 PM
When I watch that video I get the impression that '13 will be an improvement over '12. A marginal improvement, but an improvement nonetheless. That's nice and all... But when I think back and try to assess '12, I think of it as a decent-to-good VIDEOGAME and a below average FOOTBALL SIM that I kinda enjoyed for a (very) short while. Basically, my ability to enjoy the game lasted as long as the realization of what this series has(n't) accomplished on this gen remained suppressed. Once the memories of all the times I told my self that '11 or '10 weren't "THAT bad", or how I felt the night '09, the year I really thought was going to bring the series back to last-gen levels of enjoyment, came out and I mistook the new "WIDE-OPEN OFFENSE" for someone taking a rather sizable dump in my house with a "WIDE-OPEN BATHROOM DOOR", I just can't enjoy the "new" iterations of the series anymore. To put it eloquently, when I think of NCAA '09, I think of ca-ca doo-doo elephant pharts. I don't see '13 doing much of anything to keep those horrible memories at bay.

The series just hasn't done anything special this gen. The hardware and, I assume the potential for specialness, has improved but the game itself is just.... Bleh... The first three years of this gen, in my opinion, were headed in a terrible direction. Then they took a hard turn towards a better place, and have been coasting along at 20-below the speed limit ever since.

Commentary? Probably the worst of any sim-style sports game this gen. Perhaps only marginally better than their commentary from last-gen. I don't know if it's a lack of something on the part of the guys at EA, or a lack of give-a-damn from the hired talent, but it just isn't working.

Gameplay? Super bleh. Ultra-mega bleh. I can't think of anything they've done or added to the gameplay thus gen that could be described using an adjective that belongs in the same dictionary as "revolutionary". Issues remain in year after year. Line play has went from laughably bad in NCAA '07, to just plain ole bad today. The gameplay has been buried so deep in mediocrity for so long that I actually get excited when I hear about tweaked pass trajectories or 3-5-7 step drop backs (which look awful to me) until I realize that these are fundamental aspects of the game of football that should be refined each device cycle, without the need to sound the trumpets and act as if they're some sort of triumph. I should notice these improvements when I pop the game in, not when you're hyping it up months before release.

Graphics and player models are adequate, for the most part. Although I feel like they're freaking taunting us with the "Dreadator". You know, the monstrous beast that crawls up under the helmets of a few players and (I can only assume, given its frightening appearance) sucks their innards out through a hole it bores into the unfortunate student-athlete's skull. Seriously, who the hell looked at and said "yep, that's a thing that exists. That'll surely please our fans who requested we add dreadlocks"?! And the beast has remained, his quest for blood unimpeded, for years despite our numerous cries for help/mercy.

The animations? Robotic. It's like watching a physical manifestation of a T-Pain song. It tries to act like it's football, but we know it's not football. Not even close.

The series, to me, is reminiscent of a fat guy at the gym who just hopped on a treadmill, set it to "elderly turtle" and just went to town. "At least I'm in the gym!" he says to which someone responds "Yeah, I guess. But you're still fat and nothing I'm seeing is going to change that anytime soon. Also, the exclusive rights to that treadmill you currently have are preventing someone from getting on it and doing something worthwhile. So, please, start running or get the hell off."

The studio update thing seems like a relatively big addition (in the dev's eyes, at least). When I heard about it got an idea of how it'd be implemented in my head, and I made sure to keep my expectations in check. But then I saw it... And it was literally about as plain/white bread/generic as I could have possibly imagined. I mean, it's nice that it exists and all... But that's about the only positive thing I can say about. It's there. It exists. And that's pretty much it. It sort of epitomizes the overwhelming "ehhhh..." feeling I get from NCAA now. And I'm tired of saying "ehhhh..."

/ridiculous rant

# 100 lwendt33 @ 05/17/12 09:23 PM
I was excited about this game but after seeing the video, not so much. NCAA 12.5, I'll pass on it and the Madden hype this year. At least with NCAA the players don't slide like the are doing in Madden 13 from what i have seen.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.