Home
News Post

The SEC and Big 12 announced that their conference champions would be tied together in a bowl game if both conferences champions didn't make the National Semifinals starting in 2014 -- a similar agreement to what the Pac 12 and Big Ten have in place for the Rose Bowl.

Interim Big XII Commisioner Chuck Neinas just announced that if the champ(s) are unavailable the next best teams would play in the Bowl.

So now it's your turn: just how big of a deal is this agreement especially with the rumored realignment of ACC football powers jumping to the Big XII hanging over this offseason summer?

Member Comments
# 1 lonewolf371 @ 05/18/12 01:03 PM
I don't see it as a huge agreement. It's just another BCS Bowl game, and many years either one (or both) of the conference champions will not be in this game.

# 2 Ramminyou @ 05/18/12 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
I don't see it as a huge agreement. It's just another BCS Bowl game, and many years either one (or both) of the conference champions will not be in this game.
You have to look beyond the agreement itself. This is clearly an alliance between two conferences that are opposed to the conference champion preference model for the playoffs. Slive now has an ally against Delany's proposed system. It also helps the B12 going forward defend against its perception of instability, and it further marginalizes the ACC. That could be another factor in any potential realignment.

# 3 charter04 @ 05/18/12 01:32 PM
Even though the two champs will probably not be in this game, it's cool to have a mach up of the top two conferences in college football.

# 4 lonewolf371 @ 05/18/12 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramminyou
You have to look beyond the agreement itself. This is clearly an alliance between two conferences that are opposed to the conference champion preference model for the playoffs. Slive now has an ally against Delany's proposed system. It also helps the B12 going forward defend against its perception of instability, and it further marginalizes the ACC. That could be another factor in any potential realignment.
I think that may be looking into it too much. Also I wasn't aware that the Big 12 was against the conference champion model; I thought they might be for it since it was one of their schools that got snubbed recently.

# 5 Ramminyou @ 05/18/12 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
I think that may be looking into it too much. Also I wasn't aware that the Big 12 was against the conference champion model; I thought they might be for it since it was one of their schools that got snubbed recently.
If I'm looking into it too much, then just about every writer in the country is looking into it too much, since this is the reaction everyone is having:

Dennis Dodd‏@dennisdoddcbs

This Big 12/SEC announcement absolutely consolidates power, money in top four leagues. Sugar now mirrors Rose in tradition, money, power,

Matt Hayes‏@Matt_HayesSN

Anyone who thinks this won't lead to more expansion is nuts. It's on the horizon -- and it's unstoppable.

Stewart Mandel‏@slmandel

There may be no more official AQ/non-AQs, but there is now an unofficial line in the sand between SEC/Big 12, Big Ten/Pac-12 & everyone else

I also seriously doubt the SEC would align with the Big 12 like this if they opposed Slive in his quest to keep the playoffs to the 1-4 schools only.

# 6 BaylorFan @ 05/18/12 01:43 PM
I think its good to see more big 12 vs sec games at the end of the season. It seems like this will be the number 2 teams from each conference most years depending on the playoff system.

Also just a thought, it could be a possible first round game of the final four with the other being big 10 vs pac 12 at rose bowl.

Where do you think this game will be played? Superdome and Cowboys Stadium come to mind.

# 7 Ramminyou @ 05/18/12 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorFan
I think its good to see more big 12 vs sec games at the end of the season. It seems like this will be the number 2 teams from each conference most years depending on the playoff system.

Also just a thought, it could be a possible first round game of the final four with the other being big 10 vs pac 12 at rose bowl.

Where do you think this game will be played? Superdome and Cowboys Stadium come to mind.
I think this is what a lot of people are thinking, which is why things look bad for the ACC and Big East (well, even worse for them). They are even further on the outside looking in.

# 8 sportzbro @ 05/18/12 02:49 PM
So how (in this new 4-team playoff) do teams outside the champs of the B1G, Pac-12, SEC, and Big 12 get a fair shake in a playoff?

Seems like the Rose Bowl & this new bowl are basically your semifinals already.

Do they play only if they aren't in the top 4 at the end? The chances of that seem incredibly slim.

If the BCS conferences still want the power, how about they preserve the Orange Bowl as ACC/Big East and the Fiesta for 2 other At-Larges, and combine them with the Rose Bowl & the new bowl.. The 4 winners are your semi-finalists, seeded by ranking? - That seems pretty fair (Uh-oh... 8 team.... Playoff???)

# 9 Perfect Zero @ 05/18/12 04:50 PM
The problem is that this idea is for the 2014 season which is miles away. If the four team playoff thing works, the conferences are going to want to expand it further. Maybe this is part of that plan... Perhaps the Cotton Bowl just became one of the BCS big boys.

# 10 charter04 @ 05/18/12 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
The problem is that this idea is for the 2015 season which is miles away. If the four team playoff thing works, the conferences are going to want to expand it further. Maybe this is part of that plan... Perhaps the Cotton Bowl just became one of the BCS big boys.
It's for the 2014 season.

# 11 Husker_OS @ 05/18/12 07:40 PM
SEC did this to help ensure the top 4 teams into the playoff idea happens.

# 12 Perfect Zero @ 05/18/12 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
It's for the 2014 season.
Yeah, thanks for the heads up.

# 13 TDavis45 @ 05/18/12 08:06 PM
How about this.... Top 4 Teams make the playoffs and the rest still play (minor) bowl games.

# 14 superjames1992 @ 05/18/12 08:47 PM
And the Big East and ACC sink further into irrelevancy...

If FSU and Clemson/Virginia Tech leave the ACC, it's lights out.

It's amazing that the Big 12 was on the brink of collapse not long ago.

Seriously, though, this sounds eerily like a potential semifinal of the "Final Four" with the other semifinal being the Rose Bowl.

# 15 shadia147 @ 05/18/12 09:49 PM
To the SEC, the ONLY game that matters is the National Championship game. Everything else is for losers.

# 16 lonewolf371 @ 05/18/12 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramminyou
If I'm looking into it too much, then just about every writer in the country is looking into it too much, since this is the reaction everyone is having:

Dennis Dodd‏@dennisdoddcbs

This Big 12/SEC announcement absolutely consolidates power, money in top four leagues. Sugar now mirrors Rose in tradition, money, power,

Matt Hayes‏@Matt_HayesSN

Anyone who thinks this won't lead to more expansion is nuts. It's on the horizon -- and it's unstoppable.

Stewart Mandel‏@slmandel

There may be no more official AQ/non-AQs, but there is now an unofficial line in the sand between SEC/Big 12, Big Ten/Pac-12 & everyone else

I also seriously doubt the SEC would align with the Big 12 like this if they opposed Slive in his quest to keep the playoffs to the 1-4 schools only.
Sports writers often look into things too much. Remember the crazy conference realignment reporting we got two years ago?

I agree with those saying the Big 12's turnaround is amazing.

# 17 shadia147 @ 05/18/12 09:56 PM
Look, Let's stop the nonsense.... Have the Conference Championships (A De Facto Playoff Game), Have the Bowl Games be just as they've always been, (Another De Facto Playoff tier), and then when the dust has cleared on Jan 2nd, place the top 4 teams still standing in a playoff.
What's so difficult about that ?
So far as a Big12/SEC bowl game, what happens to the Cotton and Sugar Bowls? I presume they're talking about the Conference Champions here. And besides, other than Texas and Oklahoma, who else is there that can legitimately match up to an SEC Champion?

# 18 Travis40 @ 05/18/12 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyGreen
I think this game stays in New Orleans and becomes the Sugar Bowl. I don't see the SEC letting it's biggest non-National Title bowl leaving SEC country.
The best solution would be to have the game alternate between New Orleans and Arlington every year.

# 19 CM Hooe @ 05/19/12 08:48 PM
Not happy of all this realignment talk and its implications for the ACC, a league I enjoy watching. Money talks, I guess.

Hopefully Virginia ends up in one of the four viable remaining conferences once all the dust settles, it'd be a shame for my school, arguably the best school in the nation, to not have a place at the table on the premier stage of college football, regardless of how realistic a national championship for the Cavaliers may or may not be.

# 20 TheShizNo1 @ 05/19/12 08:52 PM
I really hate $$$. Seriously.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.