Home
MLB 2K12 News Post

In an earlier article from Pastapadre today, he mentioned the MLB 2K series was left out of the Take Two lineup listing, not long after that Kotaku all but confirmed the death of the MLB 2K series.

Quote:
Kotaku asked Take-Two Interactive if it could confirm the end of the series, and it released this statement:

"Our legacy Major League Baseball agreement will sunset in fiscal 2013," a Take-Two spokesman said, meaning in the coming 12 calendar months. "MLB 2K12 is our last offering under that agreement. At this time, we have no further comment."

Game: Major League Baseball 2K12 Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 12 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Sparkles @ 05/22/12 07:44 PM
bring it MVP... bring it

# 22 scottyo60 @ 05/22/12 07:45 PM
I liked 2K playin with friends. Im not so sure though I want EA back in baseball... We complain so much about all EA quality that who knows. The PS2 nastolgia for NCAA and Madden is just as strong as MVP so why should I put my faith in EA for this generation. (by the way I still play and enjoy the football games for those who read my posts.) its going to be weird with potentially no baseball on the Xbox next year

# 23 bonannogiovanni @ 05/22/12 07:51 PM
2K8 Football
2k10 Hockey
2k12 Baseball

Following this pattern, will NBA 2K14 be the last basketball game for 2K Sports?

# 24 boomhauertjs @ 05/22/12 07:52 PM
MS update High Heat and give 360 owners something to play in 2013.

# 25 SDwinder @ 05/22/12 07:58 PM
It makes sense for Sony to port it over to 360, being the end of the current gen consoles anyways. They would sell a ton of them next year.

MVP would be nice to see as would Microsoft's High Heat offering. I am a huge The Show fan though. It will be very hard to make a more compelling game of baseball. The opportunity in the market is the onlne baseball sector. Sony has dropped the ball there.

# 26 WazzuRC @ 05/22/12 08:07 PM
It sucks that this game is dead, but it's been trash for years. I can't imagine 360 users getting a quality baseball title this gen.

# 27 22cedric @ 05/22/12 08:16 PM
EA Sports bring back MVP Baseball MLB The Show needs competition.

# 28 Money99 @ 05/22/12 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Good. It's about time they aborted this mess.

Clearly, no game company has repeatedly failed in its efforts with one particular title than 2k with baseball. A bad product never improved appreciably over many years. It was a colossal failure by the company for buying the exclusive MLB third party license and a failure by the developers for their inability to put out an acceptable game by next-gen standards.

It's a title that looked bad and played bad. When you lag that far behind the competition, you have failed miserably. And that is inexcusable when you are the only alternative in a given sport for a particular platform.

The game looked bad year after year, and it played worse.

Good riddance. And don't let the gate to the bullpen hit you in the rear on the way out, 2k.
I'm interested in why you think 2K12 was such a poor outing?
Myself, I'm having a blast with the game and find it plays a very realistic brand of baseball.
It's certainly a lot better than what previous versions were like.
VC has done a really good job of turning this ship around and making a quality ball game.

I for one am disappointed that this is the last affair with baseball.
It stinks. All the games I've loved have ended one version too soon;
- NHL2K3 (switch from Activision to Kush for 2K4 - terrible game)
- NHL2K10
- MVP 2005
- NHL Fox Sport Championship 2000 (a guy appeared on 2Khockey.net who claims he worked on the sequel said that they were 3 months from release and that the game was incredible)
- Victorious Boxers 2
and now
- MLB2K12.

Stinks man.

# 29 Perfect Zero @ 05/22/12 08:50 PM
I don't know why it is so hard for people to understand that the Show is not going to be ported over. Sony games do not appear on Microsoft's console; not that hard to figure out.

Look, I'm sad that 2k couldn't pull it together. Like somebody before me said; I really wanted them to put together a game that would be as great as 2k games before them, but it never materialized. I remember 2k7, then 2k8, I had 2k9 and was excited that it was possibly the year, and it fell flat on its face.

I don't really want EA back; they've proven that they can't put a product together any better than 2k did. Even worse, if EA does go that route I do see the possibility of MLB wanting another exclusive license partner. I want SCEA to stay in the Show (so to speak), and I would like to see Konami get their hands into the MLB market. If they can bring the same success to MLB as they did to Pro Yakyuu then that would be a game worth buying.

# 30 RedK @ 05/22/12 08:52 PM
Yea the 2K games keep getting worse and worse and the Show keeps getting better. The only reason 2k has done the $1 million dollar contest cause they know that they cant beat the show in the sales so they do something like this so that can "maybe" make a profit.

# 31 BenGerman @ 05/22/12 08:56 PM
The only reason this could be good is if it brought back MVP. I'm a Show guy now, but I played 2K from about 07-09 and I really liked the series for a while. Like others have said, less competition is never good. However, if EA can step in and find a way to make a decent baseball game, I can't say I'd be too disappointed.

# 32 TreyIM2 @ 05/22/12 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDwinder
It makes sense for Sony to port it over to 360, being the end of the current gen consoles anyways. They would sell a ton of them next year.

MVP would be nice to see as would Microsoft's High Heat offering. I am a huge The Show fan though. It will be very hard to make a more compelling game of baseball. The opportunity in the market is the onlne baseball sector. Sony has dropped the ball there.
Really...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy227
EA won't put out a bad game like madden, because they have the Show to compete with. If Sony is smart they would port it over and add the pitching of 2k.
...and really?

"It makes sense" and "if Sony is smart" - You 2 huffing together or sumthin??? This is a MAJOR coup for Sony, smart guys. This means dollars from more PS3 sales because many will go out and buy a PS3, if they don't have one aside from a 3.

"It makes sense" and "if Sony is smart" - Just had to re-quote that cuz that just reads so hilarious to me...

# 33 radney @ 05/22/12 09:02 PM
While MLB The Show was a far more superior baseball game, MLB 2k 12 was far more fun to play. The Show gave you a more realistic feel and true to life, 2k was just pick up the controller and flat out plain ole, just have fun. I only have the PS3 only for the Show, otherwise it just collects dust. All my other games, the 360 dominates.

# 34 horrormaster @ 05/22/12 09:26 PM
Konami, it's up to you.

Really, 40 posts and nobody mentions Konami? I'd figure different since everybody seems to love the Pro Yakyu Spirits games. Konami could just use the same engine but with the MLB license. Seems like the best route to go since they don't have to start from the ground up like Microsoft or EA would have to.

# 35 Herky @ 05/22/12 09:31 PM
It's a shame that 2K may be done with baseball. I LOVED MVP 2005 but realize if EA does in fact pick up a baseball game next year it's going to take time to get it right. At least a title or two.

2K was moving in the right direction too with baseball.

# 36 Rawdeal28 @ 05/22/12 09:43 PM
im sorry but 2k baseball was terrible.

im only sad because i dont want this to happen to NBA 2K.

# 37 Cabke @ 05/22/12 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrormaster
Konami, it's up to you.

Really, 40 posts and nobody mentions Konami? I'd figure different since everybody seems to love the Pro Yakyu Spirits games. Konami could just use the same engine but with the MLB license. Seems like the best route to go since they don't have to start from the ground up like Microsoft or EA would have to.
I mentioned Konami 20 posts ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabke
While it wasn't a great game, it was at least something for 360 guys. It'd be cool for EA to bring back MVP, but it'd be really neat for someone like Konami to come out with something. I doubt EA will go for the exclusive, so this may introduce a couple competitors.

# 38 bkrich83 @ 05/22/12 09:50 PM
Konami really has never shown a ton of interest in bringing their games over here. it'd be awesome if they did but not very likely.

# 39 horrormaster @ 05/22/12 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabke
I mentioned Konami 20 posts ago.
Well don't I look foolish. That'll teach me to skim posts.

# 40 Sandman42 @ 05/22/12 10:35 PM
Even if EA did get the rights to make a baseball game again, I doubt we would see one until the new consoles come out. Wouldn't be very cost effective for them to build an engine for maybe 1 year of a game until the new consoles come out.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.