Home
NHL 13 News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 gopher_guy @ 05/28/12 06:15 PM
And dear god I hope they get rid of that ridiculous "double ping" noise off the pipe.

It seemed like every other goal that went in off the pipe, it made a sound like it hit off two pipes even though it didn't. Just one of those things that annoyed me about the game, lol.

Also, I think in general the ping of the puck off the pipe shouldn't be as loud as it is.

# 22 MizzouRah @ 05/28/12 06:16 PM
I like what I saw for sure, can't wait to see a game in play.

It's going to look totally different as far as gameplay is concerned and the up and down play should be less.

# 23 SinisterAlex @ 05/28/12 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
I believe the exact quote was, "We spent more time working on AI this year than we did in the three previous years combined."

Bingo.

If they want to speed up the online experience, all they have to do is take out those annoying cut-scenes that pop up after every single stoppage in play.

Also, they should completely disable pausing during online games. Imagine if in a game like Call of Duty or Halo, the entire session came to a halt and just stopped for everyone because one guy hits pause; there would be riots online!
There's no pausing in FIFA 12's online play at all. If you hit start, it pauses it for you and no one else. Don't know why NHL hasn't adopted this yet.

# 24 gopher_guy @ 05/28/12 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterAlex
There's no pausing in FIFA 12's online play at all. If you hit start, it pauses it for you and no one else. Don't know why NHL hasn't adopted this yet.
???

That is incorrect. When you gain possession of the ball in FIFA 12, you can pause for 30 seconds. Both people get paused.

# 25 Flamesfan102 @ 05/28/12 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Some good stuff, especially the momentum on turns. They mentioned less control of shots & passes at top speed; I really hope that includes puck control as well. It should be fairly easy to lose the puck in the one-handed acceleration stride.

Along those lines, I wonder if the physics-based skating will improve the collision physics? More bumps, loss of balance and momentum, etc.
It does, in a previous article I read, it said that only elite players like Crosby would be able to at full speed take an accurate shot off.

# 26 MizzouRah @ 05/28/12 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
I'll be happy if that's the case. The fact that they showed an instance where the AI defender stood someone up at the blue line is promising. I just hope this translates into the full game where these strategy settings accurately make each team play as they should rather than every game and every player feeling pretty much the same for the most part.
Agreed.. the skating engine looks amazing and should allow the game to flow nicely. Would be cool if the AI teams would switch up their strategy settings to reflect their team/coach. I want to be able to tell if I'm playing San Jose vs Los Angeles.

# 27 johnnyg713 @ 05/28/12 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
If they want to speed up the online experience, all they have to do is take out those annoying cut-scenes that pop up after every single stoppage in play.

Also, they should completely disable pausing during online games. Imagine if in a game like Call of Duty or Halo, the entire session came to a halt and just stopped for everyone because one guy hits pause; there would be riots online!
Pretty sure they are doing this. The gameinformer article said they were finally making the game real-time and doing away from the cut scenes. Hopefully that speeds things up.

# 28 eeyor @ 05/29/12 03:00 AM
Looks like some really cool stuff but there are some things that really worry me:
- The stuff with the glitch goals is really the wrong way to do it. --> when sean says that they are able to have a 100% goalie and then dumb him down. In a simulation that would be impossible... a goalie cannot have 100% --> limitations of speed, body flexibility etc. --> how can they start with a 100% goalie without defying physical and physic limitations

# 29 ComaFaction @ 05/29/12 07:51 AM
I think Sean's point was they create a goalie that can stop an shot on the ice and then scale back from there so that they can address future glitches. It may not be 100% realistic, but it's better than the alternative (what we have today).

# 30 Al_Tito13 @ 05/29/12 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan102
It does, in a previous article I read, it said that only elite players like Crosby would be able to at full speed take an accurate shot off.
Puck control and shot accuracy are two different things. I really hope puck control is lowered a lot this year, this is the only way to have a realistic game and have a good balance between offence and defence.

# 31 Qb @ 05/29/12 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy

i really liked hearing about the online gm mode. being able to have 6 guys on the same team OTP style throughout the season will be awesome. i wonder if we can use our be a pro players, or just have all 6 on ice using that teams roster etc?
Where/when did you hear more info on GM Connected?

# 32 jyoung @ 05/29/12 01:12 PM
During the webcast, Rammer mentioned that you would be able to have "OTP games" within the franchise mode. Basically, you invite friends to come play you with during season games.

# 33 gator3guy @ 05/29/12 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterAlex
I pause to take a timeout to rest my guys. Now if EA implemented a way to call a T.O. without having to pause that would be great. You only get 1 30 second pause in Versus. Is that really hampering your experience? The stuff in between periods is what takes the most time.

# 34 jyoung @ 05/29/12 01:54 PM
Pausing is more of an issue in EASHL and OTP games than in Online Versus.

More people in the game = more chances someone will hit pause.

# 35 Money99 @ 05/29/12 02:30 PM
I liked quite a bit of what I saw, but I have to say I wasn't that thrilled to see that wide, slow arc that Stamkos cut when darting to the front of the net (at the beginning of the video).
Guys like Stamkos can cut on a dime, with and without the puck, and at high momentum.
I would hope that guys like him would have that advantage.

Another thing I would have LOVED to have seen, is comparing the same moves and drills using all-stars compared to 4th line players.
I'm willing to bet my lunch that a guy like Holmstrom would have had the same high arc as Stamkos experienced.

I would have also like to see that some top-end skaters and puckhanlders, could continue skating in strides while deking with the puck.

I know this is just me begging and bugging for more player separation, but I thought this would be a great opportunity for the EA team to show the differences between all the players.

I'm worried that, once again, all players will have mostly the same limitations and skills.

# 36 mayers9111 @ 05/29/12 03:50 PM
Custom camera ???????

# 37 Broncos86 @ 05/29/12 04:30 PM
I wasn't impressed by the live NHL13 examples. Whoever was on defense on those 1 on 1s barely had his defenseman move. That doesn't show me anything.

# 38 canucksss @ 05/29/12 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99

Another thing I would have LOVED to have seen, is comparing the same moves and drills using all-stars compared to 4th line players.
I'm willing to bet my lunch that a guy like Holmstrom would have had the same high arc as Stamkos experienced.

I would have also like to see that some top-end skaters and puckhanlders, could continue skating in strides while deking with the puck.

I know this is just me begging and bugging for more player separation, but I thought this would be a great opportunity for the EA team to show the differences between all the players.

I'm worried that, once again, all players will have mostly the same limitations and skills.
in fairness, this is still alpha version so there's so much to tweak. but totally agree with you...i want to see how this new skating engine they promoting will translate into actual game. if it cannot translate in the game, then this is just a cheap gimmick for us to be excited and plan to shed $60.

# 39 bwiggy33 @ 05/29/12 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
same goes for incidental player contact, he said it can be done, but makes the game sloppy. um hello, hockey is a sloppy game a lot of the times. again, have this for offline guys and off for online until you tune it correct. siiiiiigh!!
100% agreed. That is another thing all of the NHL games have lacked. It's the sloppiness that hockey can have. Part of it in 12 was the fact the slider for pass reception did not work but I want to see different types of games. Hockey is extremely sloppy sometimes and very fast past and almost flawless other times.

It would be cool to see an effect in energy as well, which could contribute to sloppiness. If a team is playing back to back road games in the middle of the season it will make them sluggish. I don't care what team you are it is incredibly hard to play with full energy and win back to back road games during the season. They need to take that into effect. Things like this separate the good teams from the bad teams. Also with playing back to back games strategy is a huge factor. In the first game of a back to back you might play that attacking puck possession game with a team like Detroit, but in the second game you have to play strategically and take advantage of any opportunities that arise because you don't have the legs to play the attacking style. I mean players don't just get tired during a game and recover 100% for the next. Make them fatigue somehow. It's just things like this that would help make this game fresh,entertaining, and make you feel like you have to really focus in order to win.

# 40 jyoung @ 05/29/12 06:11 PM
I never understood why there is game-to-game fatigue for goalies in HUT mode but not in any other mode.

In HUT, playing your goalie too many times in a row without resting him causes his ratings to drop.

I hope this year they have a similar system in the offline modes.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.