Home
NBA Live 13 News Post

Kotaku's Owen Good has posted his NBA Live 13 hands-on preview, as he goes over the presentation and new passing mechanics of the game.

Quote:
There still will be icon passing for those who prefer it or play with it out of habit. But a simple A button with Stoudemire is going to key the entry to Anthony, however clumsy it was. The same single button, with Oklahoma City's Russell Westbrook on the perimeter, sent a longer pass out to Thabo Sefolosha, who had come free from an off-the-ball screen, and not to Kevin Durant, who had set it and was in fact nearer, having rolled back to the hoop. That's what I wanted to do, too. This is tied to an AI system in which players are supposed to recognize the most appropriate target in the area you're facing with the left stick.

That's the direction of the pass. The type of pass will work in your favor if you have a skilled passer as much as it will be an adventure in the hands of someone who isn't. Another example: Mario Chalmers, the Heat's point guard, saw Chris Bosh across the lane on the block. Bosh is 6-11; Chalmers is 6-2. A chest pass to Bosh's numbers in this situation is high enough to get deflected. Chalmers slammed a high, one-handed overhand bounce pass instead, hitting Bosh square to begin his move to the basket.

Source - First Look at NBA Live 13 Shows a Game Making Great Passes—Even the Bad Ones (Kotaku)

Game: NBA Live 13Hype Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 56 - View All
NBA Live 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 22cedric @ 06/02/12 04:59 PM
Good news i'm excited I expect EA Sports to comeout strong with NBA Live 13.

# 2 MarvellousOne @ 06/02/12 05:06 PM
Sounds like a decent start, glad to finally hear some news on the game...still got a long road till Oct 2 so I'll keep my eyes open to see where they take NBA Live this year.

# 3 BlackCloudDoggy @ 06/02/12 05:09 PM
Sounds good. Can't wait for more info.

# 4 bigeastbumrush @ 06/02/12 05:29 PM
Glad to see that they focused on a specific area (Passing) that most probably just take for granted.

If it's simplified and AI-intuitive...that is a huge plus for overall gameplay.

Good passers racking up dimes because they come easy.

Bad passers forcing alot of turnovers because they're low-rated passers.

Working on gameplay = positive

# 5 Dynastium @ 06/02/12 05:46 PM
Have we even seen a screenshot of this game? lol

# 6 coolcras7 @ 06/02/12 05:48 PM
Would rather have heard they give us options to decide on our own, but glad they at least focused on player position/location specific passing, will wait for actual game play before I gave them praise.

# 7 navyboy09 @ 06/02/12 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
Working on gameplay = positive
Agree completely with bigeast
if gameplay is on point everything else will seem to fall in place. Ready for videos to so i can see if it is running smooth instead of that herky jerky movement it always had.

# 8 ocat @ 06/02/12 06:07 PM
Article proudly brought to you by EA Sports.

That read like an infomercial

# 9 Sparkles @ 06/02/12 06:07 PM
that screenshot they have isnt that bad. but still i cant see a darn thing thats clear except the ball haha

# 10 PostGame @ 06/02/12 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
Would rather have heard they give us options to decide on our own, but glad they at least focused on player position/location specific passing, will wait for actual game play before I gave them praise.

Which options are you speaking of?

# 11 13whitebread @ 06/02/12 06:33 PM
Going to be an uphill battle to beat NBA2k games. But competition is a good thing.

# 12 alexthegreat @ 06/02/12 06:33 PM
Sounds like a good start. Hopefully we get some good footage next week.

# 13 Goffs @ 06/02/12 06:42 PM
Quote:
Additionally, some, but not all, of the arenas were scanned using the same technology that imaged Augusta National for Tiger Woods PGA Tour. The result are more distinctive arena interiors, particularly in Orlando and Miami (imaged because they're near the Florida studio building the game).
I like this bit...I'm not familiar with the tech but does this mean they can get some of the arenas to look accurate?

Quote:
I was told some atmospheric sound effects—crowd noise, sneaker squeak, player chatter— come from ESPN audio.
This is something I always loved about the Live series and I look forward to the vids just to hear how it sounds

# 14 coolcras7 @ 06/02/12 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostGame
Which options are you speaking of?
To choose the type of pass we wanted, it still seems that the game decides the best pass to make.

# 15 TreyIM2 @ 06/02/12 07:06 PM
If that was a screenshot of 13 at the top of the page, I see that old unnecessary squat deally the players loved to do for no reason in previous iterations. The ball was sitting on the floor. No reason to be getting in a low defensive squat stance, and if they still do that old squat/strategy move for no reason when trying to control a player, I'm gunna be not so happy.

Whatever the case, I can't get too excited from this read because there are still no actual and confirmed visuals on this game (that screen shot DOES say Live 13 on it, tho), and although it will be at E3 next week, there's no guarantee it will be shown to the public. The writer just said that 'others' will see it but it may be behind doors since the game is still pre alpha, after all this time.

Sorry to go in like that on this game like that but I've been lookin fwd to it and I'm a lil ticked that we have nothing really to see regarding this game nor any kind of factual breakdown/blog about the gameplay and features from EA, which they seem to love to do wit all their other sports games and previous bball games. NBA preseason is about 4mos away. Isn't this game usually slated for the preseason? C'Mon, EA. I'm really concerned about the lack of info. I believe the game is very weak, at this point.

# 16 Subversion @ 06/02/12 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
To choose the type of pass we wanted, it still seems that the game decides the best pass to make.
I don't think there's ever been a basketball game where you could select from different pass types. With that being said, I'm thankful there isn't.

Passing is one of the more involuntary actions in basketball, you do it by instinct, if there's a player in the way you'll lob, if a player cuts you bounce pass. I would never want separate controls for passing, I want the A.I. to know what kind of pass should be made, thereby deferring the timing to the player, and that's how it is in real life, we all make the same passes in specific situations, the only variable for success is our timing. There's only a handful of pass combinations that exist, and for any scenario - post pass, wing pass, cutter pass etc... you're going to make the same pass every time.

If NBA Live 13 can make the RIGHT pass in every scenario, that's a revolution. Especially considering the most annoying aspect of the competition's game is that the passing intelligence is absurdly awful.

# 17 bigeastbumrush @ 06/02/12 07:20 PM
In previous videogames...how often do you see a player feed a post man with a bounce pass?

If they implement something simple as that...it's a huge plus just for the overall flow of the game. Because the majority of time...the bounce pass is the correct pass over a chest pass.

That is nice.

From what we've seemed to read before...alley-oops will work the same way...which I'm against. I'd rather have alleys user-controlled.

But I kind of get it. That brings the "WOW" moments into fold which Live has always kind of had. Imagine running a fast break and you pass it which turns into a contextual alley-oop pass.

It kind of gives a whole lot of options on mo-capping alley-oops. One-handed oops, under-handed oops, look away oops, etc.

Remember Mike Wang was heavy on contextual moves in Live 10. From the Size-Ups to just getting anywhere the lane and going up for a contextual dunk/layup.

It appears they're going that route with '13.

# 18 coolcras7 @ 06/02/12 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subversion
I don't think there's ever been a basketball game where you could select from different pass types. With that being said, I'm thankful there isn't.

Passing is one of the more involuntary actions in basketball, you do it by instinct, if there's a player in the way you'll lob, if a player cuts you bounce pass. I would never want separate controls for passing, I want the A.I. to know what kind of pass should be made, thereby deferring the timing to the player, and that's how it is in real life, we all make the same passes in specific situations, the only variable for success is our timing. There's only a handful of pass combinations that exist, and for any scenario - post pass, wing pass, cutter pass etc... you're going to make the same pass every time.

If NBA Live 13 can make the RIGHT pass in every scenario, that's a revolution. Especially considering the most annoying aspect of the competition's game is that the passing intelligence is absurdly awful.
People having been asking for that for years from 2k, Live could have been a step ahead if they did it.

# 19 illwill10 @ 06/02/12 07:29 PM
Looking forward to getting more information.

I like that passes will be smarter. In the other game, I hate when I pass I get the wrong type of passes. Like getting a bounce pass in very congested paint or a handoff when there is someone is between you.

I always like Live. Competition is great and it forces games to not slip up.

# 20 jeffmanqb3 @ 06/02/12 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subversion
Doesn't College Hoops allow you to choose the type of pass?

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.