Home
NHL 13 News Post

Check out some of the True Performance Skating NHL 13 hands-on impressions from some of the EA Sports Game Changers. If you continue reading the thread, some of the guys are answering questions as well, including Showtime on Reddit.

Quote:
On the endurance end, players that hustle all game long are going to find themselves slowing down by the 10 minute mark of each period. It takes a lot out of your player, and makes you much less effective on the ice. In versus play, which is where I started testing, I regularly had all four lines at 50% fatigue - or worse - due to my heinous abuse of L3. I probably don't have to tell you, but tiring out my whole team led to more than a few goals against. As good as it feels to go fast, you're going to have to let up, or risk letting your team down.

On the whole, my impression was that the players concerned about playing defense against top end speed can breathe at least a partial sigh of relief. They aren't going to be able to run all over on you all game, and catching a streaking forward with his head down is as satisfying and rewarding as you'd think it should be. Forcing a player outside is easier, as long as you're in position, and the poke check and stick lift are much more effective against a player who is hustling with the puck. However, that does mean you need to be where you're supposed to be. The days of poke-spamming a guy from behind are going to be far behind you.

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 gopher_guy @ 06/02/12 08:18 PM
Quote:
From my first strides, I felt like my player was really working against the ice, really having to dig to get going and gather some momentum.
I love hearing stuff like this! Sounds like the skating will be A LOT more realistic.

edit: And this!

Quote:
With NHL 13, the days of mashing L3 to hustle are gone. Instead, you press it down once and hold it, and your player quickly puts his head down and accelerates to top speed. As a result, races for a loose puck are much more exciting, and potentially much more costly to lose.

# 2 LuGer33 @ 06/02/12 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
I love hearing stuff like this! Sounds like the skating will be A LOT more realistic.

edit: And this!
Yeah so is push puck. LT makes you pivot now, which I must have done about two dozen times during our playtest whenever I hit the open ice.

Takes a little getting used to for sure.

# 3 Broncos86 @ 06/02/12 10:51 PM
This SHOULD reinforce good hockey. Because if energy is expendable and limited, it means you need to use it wisely. Which basically means a premium on positioning, fundamental hockey, and good passing. It also means a defensive team can wear down an opponent.

As I've told kids I've coached: if you're in position and making good decisions, you just won't feel tired.

# 4 Money99 @ 06/04/12 12:42 PM
Love reading about how different Bert felt from Dats.
My biggest question is, how will Bert look and play when the CPU is controlling him?
That's my #1 question and my main concern.

# 5 DuffHouse12 @ 06/07/12 07:42 PM
new skating engine is going to be amazing. glide fellas. glide.

i want to see new deke footage though.

# 6 Poro24 @ 06/11/12 05:51 AM
These are great news! I've been wanting a real speed burst button in the game since 07 and now it's finally here. Now the game will definitely feel more like real hockey.

But at the same time it's just sad that it took EA for about seven years to figure out that not every player have to skate at same speed all the time.

# 7 JezFranco @ 06/11/12 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poro24
But at the same time it's just sad that it took EA for about seven years to figure out that not every player have to skate at same speed all the time.
I think the "failure" of NHL 12 is what's made the EA team go into overdrive.
It's perhaps not a failure in the words strictest meaning, but since the skill stick introduction, NHL 12 is probably the one game in the series with the least progression from the previous one, combined with the most number of bugs and problems, new and old.
And many of us around here have noticed the complete lack of response from EA this year. It's been like "f*** it, we can't fix it anymore".
And now, it's quite funny to see Rammer sitting there showing off 13, and he keeps bashing 12

I don't know if they worked on the skate engine last year already, but had to pull it from 12 which kinda made it a weak update.
But really, if NHL 13 is not a very big step, back in the right direction... EA is out on thin ice.

# 8 plaidchuck @ 06/11/12 12:29 PM
Is it me though or does it seem they're trying to bring back or hype up a new sprint button?

# 9 alifeincomplete @ 06/11/12 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezFranco
But really, if NHL 13 is not a very big step, back in the right direction... EA is out on thin ice.
I disagree. There is no other competitor for a NHL video-game.

# 10 canucksss @ 06/11/12 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezFranco
i totally agree with you on this. i for one will watch closely this game and comments of some people here in OS about NHL 13 before buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alifeincomplete
I disagree. There is no other competitor for a NHL video-game.
i rather play my old NHL 11 than waste my hard earned cash than buy a half-a$$ effort from EA.

# 11 Money99 @ 06/11/12 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
Is it me though or does it seem they're trying to bring back or hype up a new sprint button?
I think it's a hybrid of analog and speed burst.
I like that it all depends on the analog and not just hammering on 'A' the whole way up the ice.

But there's going to be a big learning curve because so many of us are used to just pressing down on the stick without any repercussions.
It'll be interesting to see how that plays out. I think it has great potential. But it may also frustrate many because they'll have to kill an old habit of just putting the throttle down for 99% of the game.

# 12 voodoo_magic @ 06/17/12 12:38 AM
I really like how there seems to be a balance between going top end speed and control, especially shot control.
As well fatigue sounds like it's having an impact on how much you want to go full out.
And then the team systems can also help to slow the game down making it feel less like a end to end rush hopefully.

Very promising if all these things can come together and work properly.

It's funny when Rammer is comparing '12 to '13, hard not to show how bad '12 was if he wants to show how good '13 is.

# 13 MizzouRah @ 06/17/12 08:26 PM
For those of you who follow Bill Abner, here's a little tidbit from E3:

http://www.nohighscores.com/2012/06/...ort/#more-7319

Quote:
Seeing the old skating model in NHL and then seeing the changes for 13…it was striking. This is the real focus it seems with NHL and the skating felt great and the inability to turn on a dime this year will fundamentally change how you play both offensively and defensively.

It sounds like a small fix but after you spend time playing it, it is very easy to see the improvements. Example: I was given the gamepad and told to race down the ice; it takes a bit longer to reach full speed in ’13 and you can also press the left stick in for what is essentially a speed burst. I got the sense that it really was a speed “burst” and not a turbo button, but I’ll need to spend more time with it. Still, at full speed I was told to cut across the net; in NHL 12 this would have been an easy maneuver, even with the puck. However, in NHL ’13 my speedy skater tried to turn, his momentum, due to his speed being what it was carried him crashing into the boards. The idea of turning while racing at full speed — it’s simply not going to happen. This will absolutely change how NHL plays — and I think for the better. There was more to the demo from additional animations, the talk of better physics, better defensive positioning, etc. but this was my big takeaway from my playtime. NHL is one of EA’s best franchises and this looked like a no-brainer purchase.

# 14 gamerk2 @ 06/18/12 12:08 AM
There more I hear about NHL 12, the more I fear for my EASHL team. Everything we do is basically going to be obsolete.

Not like thats a BAD thing though...

# 15 plaidchuck @ 06/18/12 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerk2
There more I hear about NHL 12, the more I fear for my EASHL team. Everything we do is basically going to be obsolete.

Not like thats a BAD thing though...
We'll see.. hopefully the attributes get an overhaul where there are pros/cons to every build and a well balanced team has the advantage.. instead of now where only about 3 attribs matter and if they're at 99 you're golden.

Kind of funny they said "size really matters" for 12 yet as long as you're skating fast you can knock down anyone regardless of size or attribs..

# 16 Vikes1 @ 06/18/12 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
For those of you who follow Bill Abner, here's a little tidbit from E3:

http://www.nohighscores.com/2012/06/...ort/#more-7319
Thanks for posting this, Mizz.

I always look forward to reading Bill's previews/reviews.

# 17 MizzouRah @ 06/18/12 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Thanks for posting this, Mizz.

I always look forward to reading Bill's previews/reviews.
He calls it like he sees it, so it was interesting to read his thoughts on the new skating model. I would agree, that improvement alone is worth the purchase price to me.

# 18 Vikes1 @ 06/19/12 04:09 PM
Quote:
He calls it like he sees it, so it was interesting to read his thoughts on the new skating model. I would agree, that improvement alone is worth the purchase price to me.
Agreed, Mizz. I trust, Bill.

In fact for Fathers day, my kids prepaid for NHL '13' for me.

I can't help but to keep watching that video about the new skating and Hockey IQ. Every time I hear Rammer say in the vid...."You can no longer skate through the neutral zone with ease."...and then I see the AI defensemen standing up at their blue-line...a huge smile comes across my face. Man...that's a big welcome change to NHL! Cannot [swear word] wait!

# 19 MizzouRah @ 06/20/12 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Agreed, Mizz. I trust, Bill.

In fact for Fathers day, my kids prepaid for NHL '13' for me.

I can't help but to keep watching that video about the new skating and Hockey IQ. Every time I hear Rammer say in the vid...."You can no longer skate through the neutral zone with ease."...and then I see the AI defensemen standing up at their blue-line...a huge smile comes across my face. Man...that's a big welcome change to NHL! Cannot [swear word] wait!
Nice present!

# 20 Vikes1 @ 06/20/12 01:09 PM
Quote:
Nice present!
Yep Mizz...when my kids asked me what I'd like for Fathers day, NHL and dinner were the first things that popped into my empty head.

Ah dang it!...I should have asked for a years worth of XBox live too.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.