Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

In episode 230 of Madden Daily, Sgibs revealed that run/pass commit is in Madden 13. Check the video out here:

Also I've already submitted this to the appropriate folks at EA. But this is where the community comes in. If they don't see a big reaction they are not going to address it. So you guys need to chime in. I don't want the Run/Pass Commit in Madden 13 to be like NCAA which is an all or nothing affair and which also does not focus on gap control/force/containment. To me this is EA's chance right here to do something really great. To see run/pass commit in action in Madden 13 see this video: Browns vs Seahawks.

7:18 in this video you see run commit left. I don't like it like this. I don't like the complete nullification of the defensive play called and having everyone sell out. Here is what I sent to the devs.
Can you guys make the following tweaks:

1. The run commit only activates against run plays. This way it operates more like a run fit, which is more realistic than having complete sell outs against the run and plays into their read and react defense theme. Allow Play Recognition to govern whether guys bite on Play Action.

2. When committing left or right, edge defenders; DE's and 3-4 OLB should step up the field and set the edge.

3. All other defenders in the front seven, with the exception of the backside DE or OLB, should simply attack the next gap over.

4. Backside DE/OLB should step up field first as if he is looking for boot action or reverse, then trail the play.

So for the 3-4 for instance you would have something like this

In the above diagram you have the defense in the base 3-4 with the DE's in 5 and the NT head up center. As the diagram shows, all the guys are going to do is hit the next gap over. So if I go run commit right then the DLine should look like this from left to right. B A C. RDE takes backside B gap; NT takes right side A gap; LDE takes right side C gap. RILB has backside A gap, and LILB has front side B gap. Edge players step up and set on the right side; back side player steps into the back field checking for backside boot, reverse and playing cutback. So that would actually look like the following:

Notice the NT LDE and RDE. Based on their alignment they are only going to fire to the next gap over. Also whether the offense runs right or left, there will always be a backside player.

Let's take some other examples from the 4-3 Stack and Over

4-3 Stack

Run commit left here (might be different since the direction is based on looking at the screen and this diagram is at the back of the defense, but you should get the picture)would have Duckett/Seawright firing to C, Jospeh firing to A, Strahan stepping up field to set edge, Osi stepping up field backside looking for boot, reverse, if neither are there trail the play down the line. Pierce has left A then scrape, Arrington left B then scrape (I only advocate this for Madden since all they can probably do is get guys to fire to the next gap over. In real life Duckett Seawright would have B and Arrington would have C) Emmons backside B then scrape.

4-3 Over

Let's go run commit to the right from the backside of the defense. Strahan, backside contain player looking for boot, reverse and then just trailing play; Joseph to A; Duckett/Seawright to B; Osi Fire to C. Arrington checks C; Pierce Check A; In Madden Emmons would be on the line of scrimmage so, Fire up field and set edge.

I would also hope it is clear that run commit does not automatically mean that I stop the run even if I have the "right" fit call. It should mean a great deal given certain offensive plays. For tosses it should work great if I have the right call. But against a wide zone, it should be less automatic because if the linebackers run outta there too quick, cutback lanes should be there, especially if the back side guy over pursues.

This is very important. Please do not have the defenders just arbitrarily running right and left. Have them hit gaps, step up and set the edge, play backside contain, pursuit. This is a chance to do something really nice for run defense IMO.

Pass commit. Can this be used to change the rush angles and engage points of the DE's/3-4 OLB's with the OT's. Can we get the engage point much deeper and closer to the Qb as he is dropping?

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 roadman @ 06/11/12 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
Here is a legitimate question - those of you who have actually been to Tiburon would hopefully be able to answer this. When they decide to add something like line crashes in the game, how do they go about designing it? Do they draw these up by talking with NFL coaches? Do they study film to understand how it is supposed to work?

In addition, how do they test it? Do they have people there who actually understand what the lineman should be doing for different fronts - or do they simply add the fronts as an aesthetic feature only?
I'm going to hopefully answer part of your question w/o going to Tiburon.

Clint Oldenburg, a former NFL OL, is working on line play, at least OL. He redid the ratings for all OL this year and is tuning and tweaking OL this year. I would someone with a NFL background would be a plus.

# 42 Bootzilla @ 06/11/12 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Here is the thing, let's hammer out the premise and hidden assumptions here. I'm operating from the standpoint that it is rare that there are sellouts. Secondly, even a sell out is predicated on a read. The sell out is the reaction to the read. What are the premises under which you are operating here? I don't see selling out like it currently is implemented as fundamental defensive football. Secondly, the play calling alone does not deal with the defensive issues in the game. The run commit actually should be the default line crash left or right. Unfortunately that's not how they designed it. If the default crash left or right were like the run commit left or right where the DL was not tied to the OL we would not be having this discussion except for gaps.
I'm operating solely on the premise of what is possible based upon what we know EA football to be and ways to address some of its shortcomings in a way that regardless of its implementation nonetheless manifests itself in realistic outcomes.

So, if it takes me selling out (run commit) on a run up the middle on 3rd and short so be it. And I don't agree that selling out isn't fundamental to defensive football. It is fundamental. So much so that offenses are designed to take advantages of said aggressive tactics. Heck, if I'm getting run on I'm putting another defender in the box i.e I'm committed to stopping the run. In Madden bringing that extra defender doesn't really help because unless you're controlling that defender he will just be oblivious and retreat to his static start point before he carries out his assignment. So, run commit I hope would at least heighten the awareness of my defenders to play run.

# 43 LBzrule @ 06/11/12 04:19 PM
Quote:
Here is a legitimate question - those of you who have actually been to Tiburon would hopefully be able to answer this. When they decide to add something like line crashes in the game, how do they go about designing it? Do they draw these up by talking with NFL coaches? Do they study film to understand how it is supposed to work?

In addition, how do they test it? Do they have people there who actually understand what the lineman should be doing for different fronts - or do they simply add the fronts as an aesthetic feature only?
Taz here is the thing. The run commit right/left basically explode the OL blocking, which as hinted by another poster earlier is rather cheesy. For those looking for a simulation I would think they want this to be about gap control. Ideally I think the crash left/right should accomplish this. Unfortunately, these are not designed that way. So what they do is say if you want to defend the run in a realistic way then you gotta completely give up the pass. IMO, that makes no sense. Their process always seems to be win/loss. Either you are going to win or lose. That's way to simplistic. It's like they allow you to play realistic to a certain point then just don't give you the rest. Let's take line crash left/right as an example. Imagine if that worked like run commit left/right does with respect to your DL being independent of the OL. What does this do? If it is based on gaps now you can create a run fit to defend the run, but you get better angles and ideas of creating blitzes. But it's like they say, we can't allow that. Then what is allowed though is spy blitzing, contain blitzing and all that type of stuff that happens on the competitive scene. (the competitive scene to be fair does ban some of this stuff)

My hunch, based on discussions in the past is some things do not get added because of time; other things do not get added because while they will nod their head in agreement, they just do not want to take the game in that direction. Some things do not get added because adding it will break something else.

# 44 LBzrule @ 06/11/12 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootzilla
I'm operating solely on the premise of what is possible based upon what we know EA football to be and ways to address some of its shortcomings in a way that regardless of its implementation nonetheless manifests itself in realistic outcomes.

So, if it takes me selling out (run commit) on a run up the middle on 3rd and short so be it. And I don't agree that selling out isn't fundamental to defensive football. It is fundamental. So much so that offenses are designed to take advantages of said aggressive tactics. Heck, if I'm getting run on I'm putting another defender in the box i.e I'm committed to stopping the run. In Madden bringing that extra defender doesn't really help because unless you're controlling that defender he will just be oblivious and retreat to his static start point before he carries out his assignment. So, run commit I hope would at least heighten the awareness of my defenders to play run.
Ok Boot, here is my question then. What have we both said that is in disagreement. We are just talking about different ways of getting there. You mentioned moving a safety down in the box as a "sell out." I wouldn't call that a "sell out." To me that's just a strategic move. You also mentioned that he has no A.I so unless you control him him being in the box is nothing but aesthetic. What I'm describing by giving defenders run fit logic via the run commits makes it where you would not need to control that Safety.

I get where you are operating from and unfortunately, it's probably a better premise than I'm operating from. Everyone says they want a sim game. EA says they want a sim game. I don't see why making defenders hit the next gap over would be a problem. That would make it more sim than people arbitrarily running places left and right. But like you said, that's not where EA is with this. My hope is they will get it there if they want realism.

# 45 KBLover @ 06/11/12 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
I just want to play a realistic game of football
I think his point is that run commit, as it's designed, is not realistic football, so it should not be in a realistic football game.

And, to me, if the game's front seven worked on football principles, you wouldn't need to be Dick LeBeau or even a former player - it would just work like it should.

# 46 KBLover @ 06/11/12 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
No coordinator does that. What im just trying to say is that a feature like this should be a HR or a strikeout. In all honesty it should not even be in the game, because of what you stated. No one calls a defense like this. The thing is that it is in the game, so I just feel it needs to stay that way it is, so it does not get abused.
The bold makes me wonder:

-Why is it in the game again?
-Why didn't they take the time devoted to putting this in to get some foundation of the front seven working?

But now that it is in the game, I disagree with the all-or-nothing aspect. That negates ratings. A player with high AWR and PRC should be able to tell quicker that the call isn't going to work. He might be the only one or the fastest reactor, but he should still react. He shouldn't turn stupid for the sake of "game balance".

I think it should take players out of position. They'd be on the wrong foot, thinking about something, but then have to recognize they are getting something different, etc, but that shouldn't be an automatic HR for the offense. A single, and double, maybe, if they have good personnel (or facing a bad run defense), but anything after that should be based on what the ball carrier and defense does.

It shouldn't be an automatic strikeout either. If I have a Bo Jackson clone running behind the Hogs combined with the nastiest OLmen of the 70s and a full back that makes Alstott look like a punk with his blocks, even if you commit and guess right, I shouldn't strikeout all the time. Again, you might contain it to a bunt single instead of a triple, but not always for a loss or even no gain.

Sure, since the feature is in, it has to be balanced as though we're playing Starcraft on a football field instead of football, but I don't think that balance should be at the extremes. That's what I think is wrong with Madden as it is - not enough 'good but not great' results.

I would also hope that a talented defense could just avoid this completely. While teams like the Ravens and 49ers are aggressive and "sell out" at times, I'm willing to bet it's not their "way of life" on the defense. Personnel that good should just need good playcalling. The rest is them going to work.

It WOULD be good if you have a bad run defense - you need to "gamble" a little more because straight-up, you get owned. That could create more realistic inconsistency these weak units face with the high chance of being on the losing end. But nothing should be automatic in either direction.

# 47 Bootzilla @ 06/11/12 04:45 PM
Quote:
Ok Boot, here is my question then. What have we both said that is in disagreement. We are just talking about different ways of getting there. You mentioned moving a safety down in the box as a "sell out." I wouldn't call that a "sell out." To me that's just a strategic move. You also mentioned that he has no A.I so unless you control him him being in the box is nothing but aesthetic. What I'm describing by giving defenders run fit logic via the run commits makes it where you would not need to control that Safety.

I get where you are operating from and unfortunately, it's probably a better premise than I'm operating from. Everyone says they want a sim game. EA says they want a sim game. I don't see why making defenders hit the next gap over would be a problem. That would make it more sim than people arbitrarily running places left and right. But like you said, that's not where EA is with this. My hope is they will get it there if they want realism.
In my response to you in my first post I said I understood where you were coming from. And I agreed with it. I just didn't feel EA could effectively implement what you were suggesting. Not saying what you were suggesting was wrong. So, no we don't really disagree. We just argue the point from a different angle.

So, dealing with the realities that are EA football I'm not against run/pass commit because normal play calling too often falls short because the players don't react to situations as they should.

And I said putting an 8th man in the box is committing to stopping the run, not a sell out. Just emphasizing that you do have to sell out in Madden because the 8th man is just an aesthetic unless you blitz him or manually control him.

We're all trying to get to the same place. As realistic a football sim as we can get while working under the constraints/limitations/parameters of the EA football machine.

# 48 LBzrule @ 06/11/12 06:43 PM
Quote:
The difference is huge. Crashing right/left does nothing against the run in Madden. Your DL gets stood up where they line up. No movement. Committing right and left = your DL is detached from the OL and have movement right/left. If we go back to what I highlighted on Zone plays 2k vs Madden:

Notice in the Madden section of the video the DL stands straight up. NO mobility in the blocks. Well it is crash left/right and the DL gets no movement left or right in Madden. It's just get stood up where you are lined up. It does not do a good job of capturing what happens on zone plays or any other outside run plays.
Actually let me return back to this. Notice in this "other game," I don't need run commit to get my DL to crash right and left and hit gaps. IT was a part of the play call. Secondly, I do not need to sell out and cripple the fundamentals of my defense just to deal with a toss play. That's all I'm asking run commit to be or at least have the crash left and right act that way.

# 49 LBzrule @ 06/11/12 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootzilla
In my response to you in my first post I said I understood where you were coming from. And I agreed with it. I just didn't feel EA could effectively implement what you were suggesting. Not saying what you were suggesting was wrong. So, no we don't really disagree. We just argue the point from a different angle.

So, dealing with the realities that are EA football I'm not against run/pass commit because normal play calling too often falls short because the players don't react to situations as they should.

And I said putting an 8th man in the box is committing to stopping the run, not a sell out. Just emphasizing that you do have to sell out in Madden because the 8th man is just an aesthetic unless you blitz him or manually control him.

We're all trying to get to the same place. As realistic a football sim as we can get while working under the constraints/limitations/parameters of the EA football machine.
Gotcha and I agree with you. Let me add that I'm not sure the constraints are the machine though, rather they are the people developing the machine. Like the 2k vid shows. You can call crash right or left in that game, have all the assignments on defense like back side contain and what not and not sell out against the run, play fundamental defensive football and sometimes you stop the run and sometimes you don't depending on who is manning the point of attack. Why can't Madden have this either via run commit or crash right/left? They gotta do something man. This free wheeling and dealing on defense and not being able to trust people and having to fill every positions responsibilities although you can only control one player is a burden. We like playing football not because we want to be individuals like Terrell Owens. We like playing football because we are a part of something bigger. We are part of a team. I never get that sense on defense in Madden.

# 50 Tyrant8RDFL @ 06/11/12 07:21 PM
Quote:
Actually let me return back to this. Notice in this "other game," I don't need run commit to get my DL to crash right and left and hit gaps. IT was a part of the play call. Secondly, I do not need to sell out and cripple the fundamentals of my defense just to deal with a toss play. That's all I'm asking run commit to be or at least have the crash left and right act that way.
Quote:
Ok here is my question. How would you feel if the crash line left/right were exactly like run commit where the DL was not attached to the OL and the DLinemen hit the next gap over depending on which way you called the crash? I would prefer that actually to what I first typed out. Unfortunately, the crash left/right has no effect on run plays. But if this worked like I'm describing here then there would be no need for run commit IMO. It would simply duplicate what you could do with the crashes. I agree with you and Big. It should not be in the game. But if it is not going to be in the game, at least have the line crashes left and right have guys hitting the next gap over.
I would feel perfectly fine with it, and actually I would love it.

If they implement it exactly how you presented it then it would be a perfect addition to the game, and would add another level of realism to it.

I think what makes this a confusing matter , well for me anyways. Is the name Defense commit. They should called it defense awareness, and implement it exactly the way you presented it. This way it sounds correct , and makes better sense.

Im sure they have seen this thread and hopefully have time to properly implement it, but Im feeling that they can't. I can't see why something like this in regards to proper movement of the lineman and LB's has not been corrected years ago. This is why I dont think it can be done, and since it cant be done. I feel the whole hit and miss is the best way to go , so this feature can be hardly used.

Was there a reason why they couldn't implement the movement correctly? Was it present in any of the Madden since the current gen? Just curious. Thanks

# 51 LBzrule @ 06/11/12 07:30 PM
Quote:
1000 likes on this post right here. Like I said earlier, the mentality has to be that you are developing an NFL simulation. Instead, we are told an NFL simulation is being developed, yet the final product is missing basic realistic concepts that have already been instituted in football games for years. Questions like the ones posed by this thread come about because we know it's possible when we've seen it in older games. 99% of what is complained about regarding Madden is because we had it at some point in the past.

I'm not convinced the people building this machine really even know how to accomplish this. Designers, yes, programmers, no.

I want to be fair to them so I give them credit and think they can accomplish a lot. I think the issue might be deeper than that. I think once the game became competitive in the early years of this century, that focus spilled over into the development of the game. If you look at why EA developed most of these "band aid" features it was primarily because somewhere in the competitive community, the game was exposed. 2004 Vick was unstoppable. 2005 roles around, contain blitzes and QB spies were added to the game. Even that was not enough to stop Vick and nothing dealt with the QB's dropping backwards and still being very accurate. So in 2006 they introduced Vision Cone. So we have to look back and see when run/pass commit was introduced to the game and what was it in the competitive and online communities that spurred its implementation. Unfortunately, I think sometimes for EA it is not about simulation realism except for numbers. I think their question is how can we balance things out in the competitive online communities? What measures do we take to make the statistics look realistic? We might have to introduce a feature that some will not find realistic to get that.

Who knows I'm just thinking out loud.

# 52 LBzrule @ 06/11/12 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
I would feel perfectly fine with it, and actually I would love it.

If they implement it exactly how you presented it then it would be a perfect addition to the game, and would add another level of realism to it.

I think what makes this a confusing matter , well for me anyways. Is the name Defense commit. They should called it defense awareness, and implement it exactly the way you presented it. This way it sounds correct , and makes better sense.

Im sure they have seen this thread and hopefully have time to properly implement it, but Im feeling that they can't. I can't see why something like this in regards to proper movement of the lineman and LB's has not been corrected years ago. This is why I dont think it can be done, and since it cant be done. I feel the whole hit and miss is the best way to go , so this feature can be hardly used.

Was there a reason why they couldn't implement the movement correctly? Was it present in any of the Madden since the current gen? Just curious. Thanks
Great set of questions you raise here. And now it makes me a bit skeptical of who we are dealing with. I think you are right. What would be the reason why they couldn't implement this correctly years ago? Does it break something? Would they rather have all or nothing game play for balance in the online and competitive communities? I'm not sure what would be the thought process. Maybe if crash right and left worked like we are thinking then does that really screw up the pass blocking? Not sure what to think.

# 53 HeavyHitter55 @ 06/11/12 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
What exactly does pass commit do? Does it only effect the D-line? I am actually happy they added this back in.

I wish they would tune the pass commit to MAKE DE's aggressively rush up field. This would make the entire feature worth it IMO.
Pass commit would make a draw play deadly. If you commit to the pass, all of your non-blitzing defenders go straight into their zones (or run with their assigned man) and not look for the run at all.

But yes, I agree with LBz here. Committing to the run shouldn't look like everyone takes 2 steps to the side. Hit the gaps and flow.

However, committing to the run shouldn't be exclusive to run plays only: that nullifies making the wrong prediction/read on a PA or passing play. It should be an all-or-nothing type call, making it a high risk-high reward type system. The point of the commit option is to force both the offense AND defense to play balanced, forcing the chess match games that all real football gamers love.

# 54 LBzrule @ 06/11/12 08:33 PM
Another thing to think about here when thinking about run commit and having guys actually hit gaps rather than just crashing is that in the older games and in NCAA there was just too much mess with run commit. Guys would come out in Quarters and run commit and still have coverage too. By having guys man the next gap over, there would be so many holes in the middle and at the C gaps in the Quarters D that you would run all over it. With the way run commit is right now I can already see guys lining up in Quarters, Dollar 3-2-6 and Nickel 335 all game long and destroying the run out of every set, which is lame. They'll still have coverage too.

# 55 HeavyHitter55 @ 06/11/12 08:46 PM
Quote:
Another thing to think about here when thinking about run commit and having guys actually hit gaps rather than just crashing is that in the older games and in NCAA there was just too much mess with run commit. Guys would come out in Quarters and run commit and still have coverage too. By having guys man the next gap over, there would be so many holes in the middle and at the C gaps in the Quarters D that you would run all over it. With the way run commit is right now I can already see guys lining up in Quarters, Dollar 3-2-6 and Nickel 335 all game long and destroying the run out of every set, which is lame. They'll still have coverage too.
Touche

# 56 PSUEagle @ 06/11/12 08:51 PM
Quote:
My hunch, based on discussions in the past is some things do not get added because of time; other things do not get added because while they will nod their head in agreement, they just do not want to take the game in that direction. Some things do not get added because adding it will break something else.
This.

I honestly feel like most of the gameplay guys probably just nod their heads and pretend like they understand when EA brings in Brad Childress, Mike Pettine, etc. They've known the issues for years yet refuse to truly, substantively fix them. Instead we get band-aids or "overhauls" that aren't actually overhauls, one of my favorites being their fix to pulling guards not "blocking anyone." Rather than rebuilding the whole things from the ground up, they made the linebackers act ******** against counters and false step everytime so that it worked. Never mind the fact that none of those plays were actually blocked correctly (I have yet to see down blocking in an EA game on Power/Counter plays).

The biggest thing this game needs is someone who has a true coaching background heading up playbooks along with game play. Blitzes need to be designed so that they're adaptable to different offensive formations, including situations where different guys will pressure based on certain sets. Receivers need to run their routes with greater speed and also adapt based on coverage (i.e. Stem Release against inside man coverage, wide depart against outside leverage, outside release against cloud on a fade route, etc.) and finally fronts need to mean something.

Football isn't a game where you just draw a play on a whiteboard and make no adjustments. Hell, that's one of my main frustrations when I see all of these blitzes and passing plays added every year that were clearly drawn verbatim without any actual understanding of how they would have changed if the coverage/offensive formation (whichever is applicable) had been altered. I'd much rather have a playbook with ten blitzes that were dynamic and automatically adjusted based on the factors I've mentioned before over the 100+ that are useless against most sets.

# 57 Tyrant8RDFL @ 06/11/12 09:02 PM
Quote:
Great set of questions you raise here. And now it makes me a bit skeptical of who we are dealing with. I think you are right. What would be the reason why they couldn't implement this correctly years ago? Does it break something? Would they rather have all or nothing game play for balance in the online and competitive communities? I'm not sure what would be the thought process. Maybe if crash right and left worked like we are thinking then does that really screw up the pass blocking? Not sure what to think.
Okay we may have some hope. I just played the NCAA demo and did the crashing left and right, and they do move in the direction of where they are crashing. They do not just stand straight up like in Madden. Hopefully this will be in Madden. Now I know this doesn't address the commit situation, but if it is implemented in Madden then at least that feature is working better, and furthermore it validates to me that we do not need the commit feature.

Quote:
Another rock solid reason why this should not be in the game, or at least make it a option to have in the game. This way we can choose to turn it off.

# 58 johnnyg713 @ 06/11/12 09:09 PM
Madden is a football sim. This stuff should be in the game because that is how the game is played in real life. Do i know football this in depth? No, but playing a game that has this kind of stuff correct helps me understand the game that much more. NBA 2k has in depth, realistic basketball strategy and playing that game helps me understand the game of basketball and gives me a great gaming experience. I hope this stuff makes it in the game. Great thread LBz.

# 59 Tyrant8RDFL @ 06/11/12 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUEagle
This.

I honestly feel like most of the gameplay guys probably just nod their heads and pretend like they understand when EA brings in Brad Childress, Mike Pettine, etc. They've known the issues for years yet refuse to truly, substantively fix them. Instead we get band-aids or "overhauls" that aren't actually overhauls, one of my favorites being their fix to pulling guards not "blocking anyone." Rather than rebuilding the whole things from the ground up, they made the linebackers act ******** against counters and false step everytime so that it worked. Never mind the fact that none of those plays were actually blocked correctly (I have yet to see down blocking in an EA game on Power/Counter plays).

The biggest thing this game needs is someone who has a true coaching background heading up playbooks along with game play. Blitzes need to be designed so that they're adaptable to different offensive formations, including situations where different guys will pressure based on certain sets. Receivers need to run their routes with greater speed and also adapt based on coverage (i.e. Stem Release against inside man coverage, wide depart against outside leverage, outside release against cloud on a fade route, etc.) and finally fronts need to mean something.

Football isn't a game where you just draw a play on a whiteboard and make no adjustments. Hell, that's one of my main frustrations when I see all of these blitzes and passing plays added every year that were clearly drawn verbatim without any actual understanding of how they would have changed if the coverage/offensive formation (whichever is applicable) had been altered. I'd much rather have a playbook with ten blitzes that were dynamic and automatically adjusted based on the factors I've mentioned before over the 100+ that are useless against most sets.
Really love what you stated here. The game of football is deep that I' am not 100% confident with EA's understanding of each level of the game. I hate seeing certain things implemented with no counter to it, or without the proper execution.

# 60 LBzrule @ 06/11/12 09:28 PM
Quote:
is there a reason why we can't select crashes with a more tiered play calling approach? why can't I select what I want my front 4 to do pre play? How come I can't select twists, stunts, crashes, pinches, fans, etc.? IMHO, I believe it's the team underestimating the user. Basically, it's an assumption that no one will understand those anyway, and it's fine to just leave it the way it is. We can then dumb it down by simply having "crash left or right" so that the guy can say, "I think he's running right, so I'm crashing my line that way".
The reasoning I got was that they could give me everything 2k does pre-snap but on the field. That was in 2009 and I haven't seen it yet I don't know if it is the OL cannot handle it or what.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.