Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

ESPN has posted their NBA 2K13 preview. Improving collisions is one of the gameplay enhancements that are being addressed.

Quote:
As he flips on the game, the first thing I notice is the quicker pace in "NBA 2K13." Not only are all of the players moving faster on screen, they seem to be running the fast break more fluidly (even dribbling with the ball out in front of their bodies a bit more), and when LeBron swoops in for a dunk and is met body-to-body at the rim, not only do both players hit the floor, but you can tell that a lot of work went into improving the collisions in the game this year by the way LeBron tried to brace himself from the crash landing.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 jersez @ 06/11/12 03:42 PM
To judge a game that isn't even out yet, just wait till the game is out before judging it. The engineer sounds like he has been putting in a lot of work and maybe is the reason why we are able to get this info so early.

# 22 RyanFitzmagic @ 06/11/12 03:43 PM
"Yeah, let's wait til the game is out to point out what's wrong. That way, we can wait a whole year before things get fixed."

That makes no sense. Bring flaws to their attention NOW while they can still fix them.

# 23 stillfeelme @ 06/11/12 03:48 PM
Ryan,

The first part is detecting contact which the game is going in that direction the next part is creating enough variation so it doesn't get repetitive. We do not know the extent of how deep they are going with the physics yet. That is usually the goal of placing physics in the game to get multiple outcomes that are not predetermined. I see nothing to be critical of in June. That is my opinion they can't please everyone that is sure

# 24 Vni @ 06/11/12 03:48 PM
Flaws? You haven't even seen the video yourself.

I don't even get what we're arguing here.

Although one thing I didn't like to read in the preview is the faster player movements. I already had noticed it in the gameplay video at E3, and I really don't like that.

# 25 jersez @ 06/11/12 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
"Yeah, let's wait til the game is out to point out what's wrong. That way, we can wait a whole year before things get fixed."

That makes no sense. Bring flaws to their attention NOW while they can still fix them.
Have you even played the game?

# 26 RyanFitzmagic @ 06/11/12 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
Ryan,

The first part is detecting contact which the game is going in that direction the next part is creating enough variation so it doesn't get repetitive. We do not know the extent of how deep they are going with the physics yet. That is usually the goal of placing physics in the game to get multiple outcomes that are not predetermined. I see nothing to be critical of in June. That is my opinion they can't please everyone that is sure
Don't act like 2K doesn't insert two-player animations that make no sense. If being against that makes me unreasonable or whatever, then so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
Flaws? You haven't even seen the video yourself.

I don't even get what we're arguing here.
Yeah, because I have to see a video to understand what it means for two players to collide and crash to the floor. Can't be serious.

# 27 DJ @ 06/11/12 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski
This was my biggest takeaway:

“The biggest thing for us this year is giving you way more control while at the same time not losing anything, and that’s tough considering there are only so many buttons and sticks. But I think we’ve achieved this, and we’ve achieved it in spades. We really feel like the gameplay experience has jumped significantly from ‘2K12’ to '2K13,’ and that’s what we’re most excited about.”

And because the 2K engineers were able to deliver the “NBA” engine far ahead of schedule this year, the game’s production team started gameplay sessions earlier than normal, enabling them to start tuning and tweaking.
-
Looking forward to seeing what gameplay improvements there have been.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
It sounds very promising.

# 28 morningstar777 @ 06/11/12 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Jones
"Everyone wondered how we were going to top 'NBA 2K11,' but we did it with '12,'" he says, "and we're about to top ourselves again with 'NBA 2K13.'
I strongly disagree with this statement, 2K12 was a step down from 2K11 in terms of overall gameplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Jones
Jones said the controls this year will be simpler for first-time users, as 2K Sports tries to attract a wider audience to its award-winning franchise while not sacrificing what has made the game so lauded by hoop-heads worldwide.
Great, another reason for them to make the game more arcady for newbies.....

# 29 TalenT @ 06/11/12 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstar777
I strongly disagree with this statement, 2K12 was a step down from 2K11 in terms of overall gameplay.

Great, another reason for them to make the game more arcady for newbies.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbang
"I think we're going to deliver a game that's more casual, but deeper all at the same time," said Jones. "A casual guy will be able to do everything in our game and enjoy it and think that's he's cool,

I dont even want to think about how bad this will be if true, complexity is what makes 2k what it is and making simplistic is just catering to cheeseheads

Lol I have to agree with you guys here. 2K12 is already to "newb-friendly". I think the difficulty is fine where it is. The last thing we need is for 8 year olds to be pulling off the same moves as seasoned 2K vets.

# 30 dynamicswish @ 06/11/12 05:16 PM
Anybody else excited for the All-Star Weekend in My Player by chance?

# 31 jersez @ 06/11/12 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Hilarious! A snippet of the new collision system on ESPN and we already have a complaint! smdh...and it's only June..
that's how this community is. smh

# 32 Phreezy P @ 06/11/12 05:48 PM
I don't get how anyone can be critical of any of this. There isn't even enough info to comment on it.

People saying contact in the game is bad, obviously have not played an actual basketball game in real life themselves.

# 33 jfsolo @ 06/11/12 05:55 PM
Speaking about controls, it all depends on what one thinks should be the most important factor in determining how successful one is in playing sports games. I feel it should be 70% brains and 30% fingers.

Any User playing the game, if they've got LeBron iso'd on the perimeter against Kendrick Perkins, should be able to easily get by him and either score or force the help to come.

By the same token, LeBron trying to post up Perkins should have a very tough time of it, regardless of User skill. Playcalling, match-ups, execution should be what drive success, not half-circle turns on the L-Stick.

Simple controls do not make the game arcadey or cheesy. The game is made cheesy by poor collision detection, unstoppable animations, warping, phasing, and sliding players, poor tuning of how the game recognizes challenged shots, poor implementation of fouls, fatigue, and injuries.

Wanting complex controls is simply an ego stroke, its has nothing to with making the game more sim/realistic.

# 34 stillfeelme @ 06/11/12 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Speaking about controls, it all depends on what one thinks should be the most important factor in determining how successful one is in playing sports games. I feel it should be 70% brains and 30% fingers.

Any User playing the game, if they've got LeBron iso'd on the perimeter against Kendrick Perkins, should be able to easily get by him and either score or force the help to come.

By the same token, LeBron trying to post up Perkins should have a very tough time of it, regardless of User skill. Playcalling, match-ups, execution should be what drive success, not half-circle turns on the L-Stick.

Simple controls do not make the game arcadey or cheesy. The game is made cheesy by poor collision detection, unstoppable animations, warping, phasing, and sliding players, poor tuning of how the game recognizes challenged shots, poor implementation of fouls, fatigue, and injuries.

Wanting complex controls is simply an ego stroke, its has nothing to with making the game more sim/realistic.
I agree it all depends on what they are doing for me vs. What I can do myself determines how cheesy it is. I actually like the complex controls because when executed it feels like I was in total control. I have the feeling they will assign isomotion to buttons or select the type of shot in the paint with a button. All the complex controls are LT+ holding the stick a certain way or back and forth in combination with the shot stick. As long as a user can't press one button and execute a crossover spin into an up and under reverse pivot I am ok as an example lol

# 35 RyanFitzmagic @ 06/11/12 06:37 PM
Contact in the paint is not the issue, it's the issue of offensive players making shots too easily in a crowd. In the NBA, defenders and shooters avoid hitting one another in the air for a number of reasons, but if a player drove into a crowd and shot a layup, he'd miss like 30% of the time even if no one jumped.

The success of inside shots is the issue, and the solution isn't to turn basketball into a collision sport. This isn't football.

# 36 NINJAK2 @ 06/11/12 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
Contact in the paint is not the issue, it's the issue of offensive players making shots too easily in a crowd. In the NBA, defenders and shooters avoid hitting one another in the air for a number of reasons, but if a player drove into a crowd and shot a layup, he'd miss like 30% of the time even if no one jumped.

The success of inside shots is the issue, and the solution isn't to turn basketball into a collision sport. This isn't football.
Somewhat agree but something needed to happen about the lack of contact in 2k12 imo. All the complainers about 2k11's contact led to 2k12's outcome. Basketball is a physical game and not every bump/push is called in the NBA- both in the air and on the floor. I'd rather have more mid-air collisions with people falling down than animations that completely negate a defender's presence and pushes them out of the way with an invisible force field. I would not mind your idea of lowered shot %s in paint, but I think the contact animations are the only thing that 2k uses to help identify crowded shots.....

# 37 Sundown @ 06/11/12 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightBaylien
This.

I hate when one of my vital players hits the floor, writhing in pain, and his team mates are standing there with their arms crossed like "all right, we get it. get off the floor."

They accurately modeled Blake Griffin. They just accidentally applied it to all players.

Quote:
"I think we're going to deliver a game that's more casual, but deeper all at the same time," said Jones. "A casual guy will be able to do everything in our game and enjoy it and think that's he's cool, but then he'll get his butt kicked by someone who really understands how the mechanics work."
This is somewhat troubling. We actually need more options, such as being able to select pass type, not less. I hope we'll be able to do everything we were able to do before and more on command-- just that the control scheme is streamlined.

# 38 RyanFitzmagic @ 06/11/12 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
I'd rather have more mid-air collisions with people falling down than animations that completely negate a defender's presence and pushes them out of the way with an invisible force field.
But obviously, the game's engine should attempt to recreate NBA players' aversion to mid-air contact. If you want your interior defenders to clobber shooters in the air, fine-- just expect to be called for a whole bunch of fouls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
I would not mind your idea of lowered shot %s in paint, but I think the contact animations are the only thing that 2k uses to help identify crowded shots.....
The game engine can't simply detect how many players surround the shooter or how close they are to the shooter?

# 39 jersez @ 06/11/12 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
They accurately modeled Blake Griffin. They just accidentally applied it to all players.

This is somewhat troubling. We actually need more options, such as being able to select pass type, not less. I hope we'll be able to do everything we were able to do before and more on command-- just that the control scheme is streamlined.
What's the point of adding a bounce pass button if it will go to the wrong player? I just think the passing as a whole needs to be redone. They said they are working on it, I doubt it will be spot on because this has been a problem for years.

As far as collision go, basketball is a contact sport and the invisible force fields from last year were terrible. The sad part is it was random and never knew if you would collide with the opposing player or not. To me I want to hear if they have address sliding. I mean the foot planting is probably one of the most unrealistic aspects of the gameplay. Momentum is either non-existent or over powering.

# 40 Sundown @ 06/11/12 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
What's the point of adding a bounce pass button if it will go to the wrong player? I just think the passing as a whole needs to be redone. They said they are working on it, I doubt it will be spot on because this has been a problem for years.

As far as collision go, basketball is a contact sport and the invisible force fields from last year were terrible. The sad part is it was random and never knew if you would collide with the opposing player or not. To me I want to hear if they have address sliding. I mean the foot planting is probably one of the most unrealistic aspects of the gameplay. Momentum is either non-existent or over powering.
Pass selection would still improve things when used with icon passing, since there's no way to pass to the wrong player. It would at least get rid of the wrong type of pass to the right player that ends in a turnover.

I agree totally about foot planting, realistic momentum, and sliding. As good as the game is in other areas, it's the one glaring thing that really holds the game back, and it looks bad and plays worse. It looks especially bad on off-ball defense.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.