Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

ESPN has posted their NBA 2K13 preview. Improving collisions is one of the gameplay enhancements that are being addressed.

Quote:
As he flips on the game, the first thing I notice is the quicker pace in "NBA 2K13." Not only are all of the players moving faster on screen, they seem to be running the fast break more fluidly (even dribbling with the ball out in front of their bodies a bit more), and when LeBron swoops in for a dunk and is met body-to-body at the rim, not only do both players hit the floor, but you can tell that a lot of work went into improving the collisions in the game this year by the way LeBron tried to brace himself from the crash landing.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 NINJAK2 @ 06/11/12 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
But obviously, the game's engine should attempt to recreate NBA players' aversion to mid-air contact. If you want your interior defenders to clobber shooters in the air, fine-- just expect to be called for a whole bunch of fouls.

The game engine can't simply detect how many players surround the shooter or how close they are to the shooter?
I'm not a game dev Ryan but I'm guessing that putting everything people would like into a game isn't as simple as just doing it as some believe otherwise all sports games would have been perfected by now. That's a question you may want to ask Beluba. Every tweak has some effect on another portion of the game making fixing things a chore. Plus I guarantee you if people started missing layups, jumpers,dunks, with no visible signs of contests or contact, the majority would complain about all the missed shots and claim BS. I would be cool either way. Plus, I've never played against an NBA pro but I'm guessing it takes more than just defenders being in the area for pros to miss shots-those shots need to be contested in some fashion.

Also, please stop leaning on hyperbole to sell your points. I didn't say anything about wanting people clobbered in the air. I'm not talking about mchale vs. rambis going uncalled, I'm talking about mid-air collisions where people collide in space and no foul is called. This happens from time to time in the NBA. You would be a tad dishonest to say that every mid air collision results in a foul in the NBA. Sometimes a player or both players hit the floor and nothing is called. This whole conversation started because you took offense to one play being described in an article and stretched it a country mile into "What the hell is 2k doing over there". One play. That you didn't even see for yourself. I could see if the writer said "People were falling down left and right in the lane with no whistles" but he described ONE sequence.

Despite all that said Ryan I want the same as you- A great game.

# 42 RyanFitzmagic @ 06/11/12 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
I guarantee you if people started missing layups, jumpers,dunks, with no visible signs of contests or contact, the majority would complain about all the missed shots and claim BS.
Well 2K needs to decide who the ranked online portion of the game (i.e., the part whose settings the user can't edit) is catered to. It would seem that it's obviously catered to the casual gamer-- if they've admitted as such, then obviously I'd be wrong about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
Also, please stop leaning on hyperbole to sell your points. I didn't say anything about wanting people clobbered in the air.
For one of the first times in this thread, I actually wasn't being hyperbolic. My point was that players in general should avoid contact, but if the user WANTS contact, he can attempt to initiate it, but his players will be called for fouls more often.

# 43 jersez @ 06/11/12 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Pass selection would still improve things when used with icon passing, since there's no way to pass to the wrong player. It would at least get rid of the wrong type of pass to the right player that ends in a turnover.

I agree totally about foot planting, realistic momentum, and sliding. As good as the game is in other areas, it's the one glaring thing that really holds the game back, and it looks bad and plays worse. It looks especially bad on off-ball defense.
I wasn't disagreeing just pointing out, that how the passing is now it wouldn't even matter.

# 44 NINJAK2 @ 06/11/12 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Marlowe
This kind of interaction is what Im most concerned about. Hopefully its been addressed (not the best vid, but only one I could find on youtube):

Too many times there are situations where you have a player beaten off the dribble and because a single limb made contact with the defender your own player loses all momentum and is bumped backwards (the Blake/Westbrook interaction isn't bad though).
I agree..2k really needs to bring back that ride the hip animation from 2k5 if possible. I miss that one as it was a perfect visual for representing the defender being beat while still acknowleging his presence. My guess is since it's a two-player animation they gutted it but they do have other two player animations in the game..

# 45 RyanFitzmagic @ 06/11/12 10:54 PM
What they also need to do is GIVE US CONTROL if they're so determined for ballhandlers to get bumped on the perimeter like that. In real life, if a ballhandler gets cut off like that, he's gonna dribble/spin in the opposite direction, but we lose control for a good second and a half and are at the defender's mercy when we get bumped.

# 46 kolanji @ 06/11/12 11:03 PM
the balance of Casual and hardcore is a really risky balance in video games
...i totally get it VC wants their hard work to reach more gamers and give them a very great experience with their IP and likewise pleasing the Publisher and sharing holders with more sales which in return render more resources for future iterations.

games sometimes flirt with this balance and end up being ninja gaiden 3 a game that was suppose to be for everyone(gamers/casual gamers) and turns out to be a game for no-one.

we see signs clearly so far that VC is trying to find this balance : QTE for a dunk contest...and simplifying the controls to help new comers and casual gamers alike.

i kinda get irritated playing against my buddy knowing he can spin from left to right and back again with the touch of a button because of his control settings vs me doing half circles to do the same thing.somehow i feel cheated being able to take that time to endure the learning curve to play a sim game to have my hard work being shown up by a simpler control scheme..

dont get me wrong i can do it just as good as he can just more effort on my part but the satisfaction of my hard work and know how of nba 2k isomotion diminishes.

my friends feel the same way playing Marvel vs capcom 3 while they do the fireballs manually and combos u can be crossed versing a guy using a simpler control that u just smash buttons and moves and combos filled the screen this just makes the core gamers feel cheated and unsatisfied.

i have been/still a core gamer of nba 2k since dreamcast and u couldn't tell the difference in nba 2k12 vs my friend who played the game twice before if i showed u a video of games played between us..u will see steals but unlike mines he plays with MIAMI(go figure) is AI assisted frequent due to some extend to bad passing targeting and other just outright AI playing stretches of great defense.and even though u try to force ur will against him and play smart basketball and run plays it always somehow gets down to playing his run up and down and try to outscore each other cause its just easier to do so than maintaining a sim type game against a player being rendered some much help From controls to AI to 3rd quarter comebacks.

we just need nba 2k 13 to be first SIM and second casual and not at the same time

i know this is not as simple as GORE or SWEARING that can be turned off in options for ppl who are not into a lot of blood or swearing in a video game....but if VC needs a bit more sale to continue to improve and deliver a better basketball game for me/us so then am all for it...but i just hope its not at the cost of upsetting the majority

# 47 rockchisler @ 06/17/12 05:04 PM
Not sure ..No, I don't like hearing faster pace..NBA is not a track meet, it is about pushing the pace when the opportunity arises. Not running all out and never getting tired..

# 48 Retropyro @ 06/17/12 05:42 PM
I just want two things,

1. Return sliders to My Player.

2. Fix the mirror/suction defenders.

# 49 woogie98 @ 06/17/12 09:56 PM
It's way too early to start getting critical guys. The release is about 5 months away, there is a lot of polishing and changes that are going to occur.

# 50 Eman5805 @ 06/17/12 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchisler
Not sure ..No, I don't like hearing faster pace..NBA is not a track meet, it is about pushing the pace when the opportunity arises. Not running all out and never getting tired..
The pace isn't even what needs speeding up. The animations do. Too many walking layups in half court and slow motion moves in the post. Then you'd see that explosion that is so missing from the game.

# 51 RyanFitzmagic @ 06/17/12 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805
The pace isn't even what needs speeding up. The animations do. Too many walking layups in half court and slow motion moves in the post. Then you'd see that explosion that is so missing from the game.
Absolutely this. I couldn't have said it better.

# 52 BlakkMajik3000 @ 06/18/12 08:31 AM
The one thing that kind of bothered me about that quote is that it's never mentioned (in the quote or full article) who the defender was or what LeBron's "momentum" was leading up to the contact.

Those are two important details that would give some insight as to whether this works properly. If LeBron only has a small amount of momentum, but goes up against Howard, LeBron would probably fall, but I doubt Dwight would. On the other hand, if LeBron is going up against some bum, he would probably just dunk it over him regardless of momentum or contact.

Without those details, I can be neither excited or negative. While the new collision system sounds promising, I'm going to need to see a LOT of gameplay video with a multitude of scenarios/matchups before I feel like they've struck gold here.

# 53 stillfeelme @ 06/18/12 03:35 PM
As long as the collisions are realistic and benefit offense and defense I have no problem. Example can I take a charge by beating a player to a spot in the paint without being slid out of the way, or being slid to a dunked on animation. This is the main reason the top players use that euro or hop step. I think this is the best way to combat cheesy play and make the game realistic. Can I initiate contact more consistently without drawing a foul or warping, forcing the offense to take tough layups? If the answer is yes I have no problem.

Concerning speed 2k12 default top speed doesn't align with reality. The players are slower and that is why most roster makers upped the speed to say 53 or so. The problem with speed is you have to balance it with fatigue or you may get guys running holding turbo all day. Rose, Westbrook are noticably faster in reality but they can't exert that type of energy running all game. When these guys throw the ball out in front it really means something for fastbreak purposes.

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.