Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

It all seemed too good to be true.

Now after this week's bombshells that you cannot edit players in connected careers or play any other games in the mode other than your own, it seems like the Madden team is once again forcing you to play your game their way. To me, this is a huge problem. Others of you? Maybe not so much. But let's hear it: Has the 'closed' nature of Connected Careers turned you away and/or cooled your enthusiasm about Madden NFL 13?

Sound off!

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 trey2k198003 @ 06/13/12 02:37 PM
Im kinda disappointed, but there are alot more things in the game i have been asking for im still way more excited than im dissappointed in not being able to make a few cosmetic changes and roster edit and the abitlity to play other games during my career modes (which i never do anyway). So im still pumped, intresting enough im still more pumped for madden then by ncaa......

# 82 AiDub @ 06/13/12 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyD81
What alot of people fail to understand, is that software integration isn't as easy as it seems. Especially when your game has practically been broken for multiple years. When people make the 2k comparison/analysis, that game already had a sound foundation when they made their next-gen port (From NFL 2k5 to APF 2K8).

EA Sports football for the most part of this console generation, has been building a game on unstable ground. With multiple director changes (Ian Cummings, David Ortiz, and now Cam Weber) the games haven't truly found an identity yet. Now Cam W. is trying to establish a true identity for EA Sports football as a legitimate simulation football experience like you get from the other great titles (FIFA and NHL series).

When you have a game that's been broken for so long you may have to do addition by subtraction initally to make sure that the large additions work properly with mimimal error, instead of just adding something just because only for it to be completely broken (which has happened for the greater part of this generation of games). Once the large additions fit into the foundation properly, then you can add/restore basic aspects of the game as the transition would be smoother while building a better football game.

In closing, when Madden/NCAA football was on the ps2, xbox, etc. those games had COMPETITION....HELLO, but they also had a firm base to keep building a better game from and didn't suffer from an "identity crisis" for their games. Titles like Madden/NCAA 05 and on were very high quality titles on that gen due to having that foundation. Even though it took them until 2011-2012 to start doing it but EA seems to be honestly delivering on their word and is progressively building a sound foundation for the future. Which is KEY for the game to truly grow and restore itself to the great game that it used to be.
Great, intelligent write up. I absolutely agree with everything you said there.

# 83 PGaither84 @ 06/13/12 02:38 PM
I thought EA announced they were canceling Madden 13 to make Madden 14 better. At least, that's what I heard.

# 84 roadman @ 06/13/12 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
The options that have been removed are things that aren't important to me, so I choose to look at the positives of what CC brings to the table. I still plan on getting the game.

That said, I think it's in poor taste by EA to remove so many long-standing features. Forcing gamers to play just one way isn't a great business practice.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

I said the same thing in the buy or no buy thread, looking forward to all the positives Madden is bringing forward.

# 85 AiDub @ 06/13/12 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
I thought EA announced they were canceling Madden 13 to make Madden 14 better. At least, that's what I heard.
Haha you definitely heard wrong... They wouldn't have showed everything off at E3 if they did cancel it.

# 86 Pared @ 06/13/12 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
I'm turned off, but I'll still be buying it - it's a monopoly after all, we all knew this coming in - and sadly, shouldn't be surprised that the 'man' is going to hold us down once in a while.

The gameplay better be too legit to quit though.

Or i'm gonna hurt...well, frankly, I can't do a damn thing - 1 point to monopoly.
OR - you can NOT buy the game instead of posting ridiculous little pictures.

Edit - I suggest everyone go back and re-read the no tolerance policy.

# 87 Danimal @ 06/13/12 02:50 PM
Nope not at all. Has a ton of things I have been asking for. If the passing game is the same or better then the NCAA demo that's enough for me.

# 88 PGaither84 @ 06/13/12 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiDub
Haha you definitely heard wrong... They wouldn't have showed everything off at E3 if they did cancel it.

# 89 CKW11 @ 06/13/12 03:01 PM
In short.... Yes.

# 90 AiDub @ 06/13/12 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Work on your sarcasm... If that was a "joke" it had nothing to do with anything...

# 91 jenglund @ 06/13/12 03:02 PM
It's a turn off, but I'm willing to give it a shot due to Looman's involvement.

But I tell you what, the mode better work (almost) PERFECTLY. And gameplay better not have any major issues.

If teams are trading players like crazy, or there's weird progression, or a lack of players added to the game in roster updates, or crazy drafting by the CPU, or the mode doesn't work until a December patch, I'll be pretty ticked off.

They are making a big change, so I give them credit for taking the chance. But limiting the way the user can play the game is so annoying. I'm sick of being forced to play games a certain way.

# 92 DaSmerg @ 06/13/12 03:07 PM
It's a "new" game mode...or I guess more correctly, a collection of what were game modes.

IMO let's see it in a Gold release and to me, it's much more important that it's working right and then they can expand the feature set next release year.

# 93 Beardown @ 06/13/12 03:13 PM
Hasn't turned me away but definitely cooled off my anticipation for August. I love to make the league my league and what I fear the most is some stupid things you will start to see like a QB with the number one or all the rookies coming out with visors, or dreadlocks. I guess I will just have to see how this one plays out but I have grave concerns.

# 94 PGaither84 @ 06/13/12 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiDub
Work on your sarcasm... If that was a "joke" it had nothing to do with anything...
Is it really hard to understand that with all the things missing, that TO ME, Madden might as well be canceled?

ZOOOOM

# 95 TreFacTor @ 06/13/12 03:16 PM
If we weren't at the end of a console generation, I wouldn't be at all concerned with the missing features. I would be willing to ride out the rough times. Problem is I've been riding out the tough times for a long time. I can't speak on the online improvements because I'm an offline franchiser who gets deep into the mode, down to the little detail. I even draft players by the position like my favorite team (this is where the editing comes in) and change their names, numbers, and equipment to match as closely as they do irl. I used all of the features that were stripped out in order to fix whats incorrect or inaccurate.

The worst part is that if I buy 13, I'm stuck with not being able to update it with any other roster than the default one which essentially means a mandatory purchase of 14 if for no other reason than "accurate" rosters. I believe that taking away control from the user is never a good option especially when that was the focus just a year ago. Just last year I was saying, "you know what madden 13 may be the year!"

I'll read the reviews and keep reading... august isn't that far away.

# 96 TribeWarpath @ 06/13/12 03:20 PM
Will definitely buy night it comes out. The intrigue of CC has me hooked since I typically play offline controlling only 1 team. The last 2 yrs I've started importing NCAA draft classes only to switch to Madden generated classes due to players importing much different than NCAA counterpart. Clearly has been broken.

Biggest problem to me is not being able to do an offline fantasy draft franchise with my friend. He has a PS3 and I have a 360 so we now have no workaround since we can't use the online mode or each others systems to play co-op.

Editing being taken out sucks, but the only thing I'd edit was Calvin Johnson's name to get rid of the JR. Player numbers won't ruin the game for me.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

# 97 Dazraz @ 06/13/12 03:25 PM
I've purchased every single Madden game there's ever been. In addition the last 3 years I've also picked up NCAA. This year will be a college football year only for me. I'm sure Madden will play a fine game of football but the single player mode isn't for me.

# 98 ballymenasteve @ 06/13/12 03:25 PM
Not happy about the fact it's one player per console on Connected Careers. For the last few years me, and 2 friends always picked a team each, and played a franchise on my console every weekend. We would usually get about maybe 4-5 done in a year.

I guess that's gone now. I was seriously hyped for 13, but this just feels like a punch in the guts. I just do not understand the reasoning behind it

# 99 Phobia @ 06/13/12 03:41 PM
GAINING
  • CPU Proposed Trades
  • Extended Injuries that last multiple Seasons
  • Scouting reports
  • Goals Like NCAA 12 had
  • Salary Cap Finally
  • Real Draft picks
  • Team Specific Ratings = Better Draft selections
  • Read and React Defense
  • Improved Passing system
  • 400+ Catch animations
  • Cancel out playactions
  • Infinity Physic Engine
  • Improved Presentation
  • In booth Announcers
  • 32 player Online Franchise like we have always wanted

LOSING
  • No more editing Rosters
  • No playing games outside your own in franchise
  • No custom Playbooks
  • No Fantasy Draft
  • No in game saves

What I am gaining makes up for what I am losing by a LARGE margin!!!

# 100 Ninjoid @ 06/13/12 03:43 PM
No buy for me now....not having the ability to play any game from any side's schedule is a complete no brainer and removes the immersion for me.

Got to be able to select any game and play/watch as cpu v cpu.

Definite non purchase for me now....

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.