Home
NCAA Football 13 News Post

We have just posted 91 new NCAA Football 13 screenshots.

Game: NCAA Football 13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 60 - View All
NCAA Football 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 mtoo22 @ 06/20/12 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle
Yeah, that makes sense. I didn't know that.

My point is not to slam EA but to rather speak up about the issues I have with the game. Like I said, I am sure I will still buy it because at the end of the football season, I know I will have gotten my money's worth out of it and maybe that's all I can ever expect.

I have just always thought this game could be on the same level as some of the greatest sports titles we've ever seen. When the current consoles originally came out, I truly thought the sky was the limit for this game and sadly it has been stuck in the mud ever since. That just continues to boggle my mind.

At the very least, I hope EA finds a way to get us updated uniforms through DLC - even if I have to pay a price to get updated uniforms. Having uniforms still present from three years back is something that simply can't be defended any longer. It takes away from the game from me.
Sometimes the more you add to the garden, the less it produces. If you stick with what made the game a best seller, it can never be worse than what got it there.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

# 62 PowerofRed25 @ 06/20/12 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoo22
Sometimes the more you add to the garden, the less it produces. If you stick with what made the game a best seller, it can never be worse than what got it there.

But if you don't continuously tend to the garden, it will inevitably die. And unfortunately, EA is letting its key pieces wilt while adding things that cannot possibly help.

In the case of Heisman Challenge, the leaves are already brown and dying before the plant is in the ground.

And hopefully that ends the horticulture references for a while.

# 63 Cane305 @ 06/20/12 02:06 AM
Y'all realize they updated the uniforms and helmets but can't show them due to licensing. I believe they mentioned it in one or the live stream play books that they added 240 new uniforms and helmets and can put new ones out during the season as DLC....as far as the equipment, never heard anything about updates on that so prob get all the same crap as last year

# 64 CM Hooe @ 06/20/12 02:13 AM
Quote:
Their business model with this game is flawed.
If a year is not enough time for EA to deliver a game that meets the standards required for them to earn your $60 purchase, I'm in no position to argue that. Speaking strictly to the high-level business model, however, I'd imagine the game probably turns a profit for EA; else, why would they even bother developing a product that would hemorrhage money from the company annually?

The iterative nature of sports games development should be well-known and expected by now by all of us, and there's fat chance that EA, 2K, or any other annual sports game publisher is ever going to break that cycle for the sake of what we perceive as lack of polish or on-the-surface lack of substantial change year-over-year.

# 65 PowerofRed25 @ 06/20/12 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane305
Y'all realize they updated the uniforms and helmets but can't show them due to licensing. I believe they mentioned it in one or the live stream play books that they added 240 new uniforms and helmets and can put new ones out during the season as DLC....as far as the equipment, never heard anything about updates on that so prob get all the same crap as last year
Can't show them due to what licensing?! If they have the licensing to put them in the game in the first place, there is nothing preventing them from showing them.

Sorry, I don't buy that any more than I buy potential lawsuits as a reason why EA's default rosters aren't even remotely accurate. (For reference, I don't buy that one single bit).

And 240 new uniforms?! There are 123 teams, most of which haven't done a single thing to their uniforms. Am I to believe there are all of a sudden a plethora of uniform options available? Sorry, not buying it.

# 66 cparrish @ 06/20/12 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
Can't show them due to what licensing?! If they have the licensing to put them in the game in the first place, there is nothing preventing them from showing them.

Sorry, I don't buy that any more than I buy potential lawsuits as a reason why EA's default rosters aren't even remotely accurate. (For reference, I don't buy that one single bit).

And 240 new uniforms?! There are 123 teams, most of which haven't done a single thing to their uniforms. Am I to believe there are all of a sudden a plethora of uniform options available? Sorry, not buying it.
He is right though, a lot of schools want to release their uniforms in front of fans and media, and not through a screenshot of a video game.

# 67 Cane305 @ 06/20/12 02:24 AM
Quote:

The actual universities don't want certain uniforms displayed until they give the word...yes some we already know about but ea can't burn bridges by showing them off early otherwise universities won't allow them to use the new ones in the future...

# 68 Bruce323 @ 06/20/12 02:25 AM
they still can't comprehend this.

# 69 Cane305 @ 06/20/12 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparrish
He is right though, a lot of schools want to release their uniforms in front of fans and media, and not through a screenshot of a video game.
What he said, and I'm just telling you what fat Ben said in the live stream....just the messenger man

# 70 PowerofRed25 @ 06/20/12 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
If a year is not enough time for EA to deliver a game that meets the standards required for them to earn your $60 purchase, I'm in no position to argue that. Speaking strictly to the high-level business model, however, I'd imagine the game probably turns a profit for EA; else, why would they even bother developing a product that would hemorrhage money from the company annually?

The iterative nature of sports games development should be well-known and expected by now by all of us, and there's fat chance that EA, 2K, or any other annual sports game publisher is ever going to break that cycle for the sake of what we perceive as lack of polish or on-the-surface lack of substantial change year-over-year.
My idea in a previous thread was to have a two year development cycle but with two concurrent development teams. Meaning a game is released every year, but the team working on it has a two year cycle to really hit their game out of the park.

Each game would retain all of its basic DNA across both development teams, but we'd be able to make significant advances each year as teams focus their two year cycle and making big strides.

For example. Let's call the current NCAA team the red team, they worked on and released Heisman Challenge and an improved passing game for NCAA 13. Once NCAA 13 has dropped, they begin development on NCAA 15. Let's say the big NCAA 15 feature is Athletic Director mode within dynasties, allowing you to control finances, hiring and firing, stadium and practice field additions, etc. That gives them two years to install and perfect that system as well as the ability to patch problems with NCAA 13 should they arise.

Meanwhile, the blue team would be assigned to NCAA 14. They're mission would be to install the infinity engine and making whatever strides they can on animations, cut scenes, graphics and presentation. Frankly, I'm guessing that is all we will get in NCAA 14. Once they are done, they start work on planning for the next generation for NCAA 16.

By alternating side by side development teams, we'd have significant strides made in terms of features and polishing each year without sacrificing anything. It has been done before, although I don't believe it has been done for a sports title, but it could certainly work a lot better than the system we have now.

There are so many fundamental flaws in the way EA runs this franchise, most of the decisions made simply make no sense.

# 71 Cane305 @ 06/20/12 02:32 AM
Quote:
My idea in a previous thread was to have a two year development cycle but with two concurrent development teams. Meaning a game is released every year, but the team working on it has a two year cycle to really hit their game out of the park.

Each game would retain all of its basic DNA across both development teams, but we'd be able to make significant advances each year as teams focus their two year cycle and making big strides.

For example. Let's call the current NCAA team the red team, they worked on and released Heisman Challenge and an improved passing game for NCAA 13. Once NCAA 13 has dropped, they begin development on NCAA 15. Let's say the big NCAA 15 feature is Athletic Director mode within dynasties, allowing you to control finances, hiring and firing, stadium and practice field additions, etc. That gives them two years to install and perfect that system as well as the ability to patch problems with NCAA 13 should they arise.

Meanwhile, the blue team would be assigned to NCAA 14. They're mission would be to install the infinity engine and making whatever strides they can on animations, cut scenes, graphics and presentation. Frankly, I'm guessing that is all we will get in NCAA 14. Once they are done, they start work on planning for the next generation for NCAA 16.

By alternating side by side development teams, we'd have significant strides made in terms of features and polishing each year without sacrificing anything. It has been done before, although I don't believe it has been done for a sports title, but it could certainly work a lot better than the system we have now.

There are so many fundamental flaws in the way EA runs this franchise, most of the decisions made simply make no sense.
This would be awesome, too bad it's just a pipe dream tho!

# 72 iCebErgSLiM369 @ 06/20/12 02:42 AM
This wouldnt work now due to the game being so buggy. Maybe with the next generation system they could implement some kind of model where they can add/subtract features without affecting other areas of the game. That way the game can maintain some of its continuity throught the years. Otherwise, If they made two completely different games every other year i think the series would suffer greatly.

# 73 PowerofRed25 @ 06/20/12 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane305
The actual universities don't want certain uniforms displayed until they give the word...yes some we already know about but ea can't burn bridges by showing them off early otherwise universities won't allow them to use the new ones in the future...
In the past though, uniforms that weren't shown off before a certain date never made it in the game. That has almost always been the case and has caused a lot of frustrated people. With DLC, EA is in the position to create things as they are unveiled, which should alleviate a lot of those problems.

However, in the case of these screenshots, uniforms that HAVE been unveiled already aren't shown at all. The one that sticks out to me is Missouri, which very obviously has their 2011 uniforms and 2011 roster (#26 presumably being the graduated De'Vion Moore). Missouri's uniforms have been unveiled for two months. Another one would be Rutgers, whose uniforms have been unveiled for nearly two months. We're not talking special uniforms either, we're talking their every day uniforms in both cases.

They may be holding back some uniforms, and I get the reasoning, but a significant number of these pictures have either old rosters, old uniforms or both. I'm not doubting it isn't NCAA 13 in these photos, but there are some pretty weird inconsistencies.

# 74 okstate19 @ 06/20/12 05:02 AM
I was always a bit annoyed with the equipment guys. I never understood how some people get so worked up over facemasks or cleats.

(Uniforms though, those are a different story)

But as much as it didn't make sense to me, I have to completely agree with everything said thus far. Not because it really matters to me, but because there is no real reason to not give a consumer the OPTION. I don't know anything about programming, but it seems like a lot of it would just be as simple as a palette swap.

Just like many of you, it boggles my mind to think about the state of the NCAA series. I can remember plodding along on dial-up, scouring any site I could find that had info about the "new" NCAA's on PS2. It was always a preorder and day one purchase, and it's crazy to think about how often I played PS2 NCAA to PS3 NCAA. I literally played nearly every day. Granted, I was still in junior high/high school and had less responsibility, but I mean, I devoted nearly ALL my gaming time to NCAA for at least 6-8 months.

In fact, I didn't buy a PS3 until 2008 because past-gen NCAA's served as a decent enough place-filler to let my save up money gradually. I remember talking with my buddies about how awesome NCAA would be on the new systems and how great we all thought the screen shots looked on the next-gen systems.

Then I played NCAA 09. And great anticipation slowly turned to shocked disappointment. "How did they go backwards?" I remember myself thinking. (Personally, I hated 09, dealt with 10, tolerated 11, and thought 12 was the best next-gen version so far.) I don't believe that initial disappointment has ever really worn off.
Long story short, it's frustrating. I think it's most frustrating because the sports game that was once arguably THE best on the market has now been passed by by nearly all others.

Players should be able to have multi-colored pieces of equipment. Uniforms unveiled before the beginning of the season shouldn't cost money to use. Examples such as Washington SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN. We live in a world with information at our fingertips and accessible at a moment's notice. Beyond that, fans of the series have taken it upon themselves to aid NCAA developers purely for the love of their school, their sport, and their game.

But somehow, we're stuck in the world of crew-cuts or predator, white and blue or black and blue.

I'll buy again this year. Maybe because I can't let go of that feeling of enjoyment I used to get out of NCAA. Maybe because I just need a college football fix. Probably a bit of both. But every year, my enthusiasm comes closer and closer to resembling apathy.

So keep fighting the good fight "equipment-philes" and "dread-heads." And here's hoping that the next generation of consoles finally deliver that NCAA we always envisioned it could be.

But until then...

Enjoy reaction-time with Barry Sanders in a North Texas jersey!

# 75 PowerofRed25 @ 06/20/12 06:11 AM
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I just have to kind of chuckle at Rutgers' uniforms being out two months.

As annoying as I am about this topic, it has been THREE years at least since I sent a detailed e-mail to EA about Washington's new home uniforms. This was in 2009 and the e-mail showed five or six pictures of the jerseys being worn in-game. I got an automated e-mail back thanking me for my time and dedication to the series.

Yeah, those home jerseys will not be in NCAA Football 2013. The Washington Huskies are still rocking the home jerseys that they wore in 2009 (and haven't worn since).

That's the biggest uniform oversight to me, and not just because it's the team I run with. I mean, three years at the minimum since I've asked and showed them the new jerseys... and nothing. Really?
I'm not saying they aren't lacking in many, many, MANY areas. One of the guys earlier in the thread mentioned how they finally added Rutgers new stadium addition which I believe has been done for years. Many other schools have had the same.

But things like Missouri I know had been specifically mentioned at one point, and yet here we have their old uniforms, their old roster and obviously their old conference (playing OU and other Big 12 schools).

# 76 mtoo22 @ 06/20/12 07:49 AM
Quote:
But if you don't continuously tend to the garden, it will inevitably die. And unfortunately, EA is letting its key pieces wilt while adding things that cannot possibly help.

In the case of Heisman Challenge, the leaves are already brown and dying before the plant is in the ground.

And hopefully that ends the horticulture references for a while.
Well the problem is they replaced the top soil with some rocky dirt now the crops are bad....anyway...

# 77 UH53 @ 06/20/12 08:43 AM
Quote:
I guess I am just now convinced that a year is not enough time for EA Sports to develop a game. It's just not and they have proven it time and time again. The visuals are bad enough but little else has changed for the better. Each year, it seems like the game was shipped with a game crippling glitch or bug that never gets fixed. They may try through patches, but it simply doesn't happen. I am sure the Development Team works hard and their hands are tied on a lot of things, but a year is simply not enough time.

I've never been in that camp, but I am now.

Their business model with this game is flawed... Rather than put all of the new uniforms in the game, they mention that they will be available as DLC. Does that mean that I'll be dropping even more money getting updated uniforms that should have been available in the first place? I am seriously asking because I don't know, not making a gripe. I would pay for maybe one uniform, but I would do it begrudgingly and I wouldn't be very happy about it. It will be just another backhanded tactic to bleed more money out of their loyal customers. I hope that's not the case.

Damn, the things I am saying about this game now are things that I NEVER thought I would be saying about THIS title. That's just what it is now, though. It sucks.
It's crazy to think that a year is not enough when they pretty much overhauled the look of the game from NCAA 10 to 11. NCAA 11 was a huge step in the right direction graphically and equipment wise. They had significant detail in the gloves and shoes, albeit Nike, but none the less they made changes. They had all the neck pads right too, from extended to covered. I definitely can't excuse them from the helmets and facemasks though. Somewhere along the way they lost their direction.... How this happened I don't know but I have a theory about it that I'll share later in the comment.

Getting back to my original point. They did all of this in a year's cycle so there really is no excuse for them. They basically got away from the core of the game, FOOTBALL, and decided they would rather work on fluff pieces like Heisman Challenge and cheerleaders.... Inexcusable! Every time I see Ben Haumiler mention something like they realized they were behind on the times because of the uniform changes and now they're doing something about it... I honestly wonder if they really watch the game they claim to love!

So here's my theory on the misguided nature of this series and I think I know why they insist on the ankle socks! Haumiler is an FSU alum and a true homer. He probably graduated around the time when Warrick Dunn and Charlie Ward were there. Warrick Dunn and a lot of the FSU players wore ankle socks at that time. That time was around '93-'96! If this doesn't show you how out of touch he is I don't know what will! I can also only assume he was in love with a cheerleader during that time and only payed attention to the game through Sportcenter Highlights. So these NCAA titles are his homage to the cheerleader (her or him), the '93 Nat'l Champs, and ESPN!

# 78 bpac55 @ 06/20/12 09:00 AM
The thing that really gets me though is that it is OBVIOUS they see what the players are wearing. Let's take the Maryland pride uniforms. They have those in the game...But didn't they see in any of the videos or screen shots that NOT A SINGLE PLAYER on UM was wearing the UA cleats that they have in the game?

I firmly believe that they put all of the current cleats in the game with the mindset of "this should shut them up for a while"

# 79 tHurley2010 @ 06/20/12 12:53 PM
Perhaps they can't put the exact equipment in due to the potential lawsuit dealing with player likenesses (I don't know if that's right--legal jargon is difficult to understand).

HOWEVER...

If EA has no legal problem with its customers updating the rosters with names and more accurate attributes (which happens every year), then it shouldn't have any legal problem if it just puts the equipment in the game, and having us update the players with the right equipment like we do with naming the rosters.

I'm sure being a game about college players brings with it a whole heap of issues that aren't tied to making a game with professional players. I wish EA would give us a reason why, but even if they did, I'm sure a good amount of you are so entrenched in the mindset of, "EA is just being lazy", that their explanation probably wouldn't convince you otherwise.

I want equipment to be in the game. To me it adds just that more realism to a game that I enjoy. However, if Landry Jones has all the right equipment and he throws a perfect pass to an open WR, only to have a DB who is 8 yards away from the ball electric slide over there and intercept the pass, I'm not going to be saying, "Damn! Look at how accurate Landry Jones's equipment is!" I would rather the guys at EA get one thing right, the game play, first before setting out on a whole new endeavor.

And HuskerPower25, maybe they had Ciante Evans in at QB???

# 80 noplace @ 06/20/12 04:16 PM
[quote=tHurley2010;2043787103]Perhaps they can't put the exact equipment in due to the potential lawsuit dealing with player likenesses (I don't know if that's right--legal jargon is difficult to understand).

Really? You think EA went thru every single player just to make sure equipment didn’t match? I wouldn’t give this team that much credit, to do the extensive homework to find out who wore what has always been our job. We just wanna be able to do it!!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.