Home
NCAA Football 13 News Post

Recruiting has become a lot more unpredictable in NCAA Football 13, as prospects can now have a significant difference between their projected scouting rating and their final overall rating.

Just because a recruit is projected to be the number one quarterback in the country doesn't mean he will end up with the class' highest ratings once fall practice begins.

If a recruit arrives on campus with a lower rating than expected, the game will appropriately identify that player as a "bust." Alternatively, prospects who end up with a higher-than-expected rating are labeled "gems."

No prospect in NCAA Football 13 will ever be a "sure thing," placing more importance than ever on signing a deep, well-rounded recruiting class.

What do you think? Is the dynamic nature of recruiting a huge deal to you?

Game: NCAA Football 13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 60 - View All
NCAA Football 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Aggies7 @ 06/20/12 01:15 PM
This should be a great addition. Hopefully will prevent teams from becoming powerhouses in one year.

# 22 BenGerman @ 06/20/12 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSho31
My mind is all over the place with this post so bear with me:

1. Does anyone actually believe that the ratings matter as it relates to gameplay? A WR rated at 75 is not that much different than a 90 rated guy. It matters with QBs, but honestly, I don't see the rating difference throughout each postion.

2. Does this mean that it will still take 45 min - 1 hour to recruit? Recruiting has become a real chore for me and it takes away from the game. I remember back in the day I could get a whole season done in about a day or so...now it takes forever.

3. If this does work as intended, wont it mean that we can just scout 3-4 star recruits and get a good coach instead of focusing on 5-star guys?
1. I think it remains to be seen. Over the last couple of years, we've seen ratings matter a little more with each addition to the series. But if a WR's Route Running attribute only contributes to how often he slips, or if Block Ratings don't matter, than yes, recruiting is almost senseless. It was like this for me last year, as recruiting a good OL or DL was pointless.

2. You could just use quick call if its that bothersome. If ratings really matter, I could see myself sinking a half hour or more into recruiting every week.

3. I don't think thats how it will work. Even with a great coach, progression can only be so fast. If a guy comes in at a 70, even with great coaching, he's not likely to make it past an 85 or so by his senior year. A 5 star guy with a poor coach is likely to start out at around an 80 and end up around a 90. At least, that was my experience last year.

# 23 illwill10 @ 06/20/12 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssHskr
this is what i'm wondering too.

all be it, it's a bit confusing to me. take the posted pic, the highlighted guy has an OVR of 80. does that mean once he signs he might come in as a 60, or then again potentially come in as a 90?

so you recruit as you did last year, then just wait and see?

i do agree though, it makes recruiting more interesting and life like with the bust potential. God knows we've seen a ton of it at QB in Neb.
Unless you dont scout a player, you will know what his new/correct OVR is before you sign them. So if you dont scout a player, most likely he will either surprise you or disappoint you.

# 24 cparrish @ 06/20/12 01:19 PM
Quote:
1. Does anyone actually believe that the ratings matter as it relates to gameplay? A WR rated at 75 is not that much different than a 90 rated guy. It matters with QBs, but honestly, I don't see the rating difference throughout each position.
This is no different than the college football you watch on TV. Eric Page amassed over 300 catches in his first three years at Toledo only to declare for the draft early and not get drafted. The kid dominated the MAC for three years but didn't have the physical abilities to be drafted by the NFL. Do not always go off the overall ratings. It is just a fictitious numerical rating the game comes up with.

Quote:
2. Does this mean that it will still take 45 min - 1 hour to recruit? Recruiting has become a real chore for me and it takes away from the game. I remember back in the day I could get a whole season done in about a day or so...now it takes forever.
Recruiting has and will always be the best part of NCAA to me. It sounds like you should just let the CPU recruit for you to make it go by faster.

# 25 jfsolo @ 06/20/12 01:19 PM
The presence of these players is great, seeing the Overall before they get on your team, and having the game label them gems or busts, is not so great. During scouting you should just see the shifts in their individual ratings while the OVR remains hidden. If you see a WR's catching rating go from 75 to 55 you can make your own determination that he may end up being a bust.

So this is a solid addition, even if they're holding our hand a bit too much with its implementation.

# 26 BigSho31 @ 06/20/12 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparrish
This is no different than the college football you watch on TV. Eric Page amassed over 300 catches in his first three years at Toledo only to declare for the draft early and not get drafted. The kid dominated the MAC for three years but didn't have the physical abilities to be drafted by the NFL. Do not always go off the overall ratings. It is just a fictitious numerical rating the game comes up with.

Recruiting has and will always be the best part of NCAA to me. It sounds like you should just let the CPU recruit for you to make it go by faster.
I love to recruit...the problem I've had with the game over the past couple years is not being able to pass because my offensive line sucks. Then I go and get better OL and they still don't pass block worth a crap. So if the ratings don't work, then there's really no point in recruiting. Right?

# 27 cparrish @ 06/20/12 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
3. I don't think thats how it will work. Even with a great coach, progression can only be so fast. If a guy comes in at a 70, even with great coaching, he's not likely to make it past an 85 or so by his senior year. A 5 star guy with a poor coach is likely to start out at around an 80 and end up around a 90. At least, that was my experience last year.
You are correct. While testing my rosters last week, the four QBs I followed progressed as this.
  • Mariota (Oregon) 79 to 93
  • Ely (Alabama) 73 to 86
  • Hirschman (Colorado) 69 to 80
  • Driskel (Florida) 75 to 85

This was with coaching contracts turned off by the way.

# 28 cparrish @ 06/20/12 01:29 PM
Quote:
I love to recruit...the problem I've had with the game over the past couple years is not being able to pass because my offensive line sucks. Then I go and get better OL and they still don't pass block worth a crap. So if the ratings don't work, then there's really no point in recruiting. Right?
It depends on how you are approaching your OL recruiting. Are you going soley off the players overall rating or are you digging deeper and looking at his position specific ratings? If you drop back and pass all the time, you are going to want to recruit OL with good pass blocking, pass block strength, and pass block footwork ratings. Again, do not go off their overalls. If you want to run a smash mouth pro-style offense like I do, I look at their strength, run blocking, run block strength, and run block footwork and nothing else. Many times I will recruit 2* OL over 4* OL because of their ability to do what I want them to do in my offensive system.

# 29 illwill10 @ 06/20/12 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
The presence of these players is great, seeing the Overall before they get on your team, and having the game label them gems or busts, is not so great. During scouting you should just see the shifts in their individual ratings while the OVR remains hidden. If you see a WR's catching rating go from 75 to 55 you can make your own determination that he may end up being a bust.

So this is a solid addition, even if they're holding our hand a bit too much with its implementation.

I was just about to post this.

I like the implementation of gems/busts, but I rather only see the individual ratings swing up or down. As it stands right know, you pretty much know what your going to get. Just hide the OVR and show the ratings swing. For example, if a DB's coverage ratings drop we will most likely know that he is a bust.
I like that there is a chance that smaller schools can get gems and big schools have the chance of getting a bust, but I dont want to know it. I want to face up against a team like Vandy and be surprised that the 3 star QB I passed on ended up a 80+ OVR QB.

# 30 cts @ 06/20/12 02:02 PM
Showing OVR is only a bad thing if Progression is still how it has been for a while ... and players progress pretty much at the same pace as every other player. If progression was more dynamic (which I haven't read one way or the other) ... then it wouldn't matter whether you could see the OVR during scouting, or not.

Dynamic Progression would add yet another layer to this. You could find a "Gem" during scouting, and that player end up only gaining a point or two over his career. Or you could sign a "Bust" that ends up progressing like crazy over his career ... and everything in-between.

Something to look at for next year, if it's not in there this year.

# 31 volwalker @ 06/20/12 02:11 PM
The best part about this new is addition is simple: 2 and 3 star players can now be awesome players which happens in real life all the time. In every ncaa football game before, 4 and 5 star players were your only legit talents. Not anymore. This is the reason why the best schools happen to have as many 3 stars than 4 stars. They see little things that make them think that player can be something special. This will make dynasty mode that much more fun for me.

# 32 Army801st @ 06/20/12 02:50 PM
I think this is where if you're a hardcore fan or just casual fan, but what might happen if you create a player, does that make it a better chance of really wanting to create a bunch of 5 star players and then go out and hope to scout/recruit the 3 and 4 star player

# 33 pj_28 @ 06/20/12 03:09 PM
Like the article says this places an emphasis on recruiting deep classes, that would be a lot easier if they expanded the roster for us. But that is beside the point, I love the idea of having busts and gems for this game. It should make the battle for OD recruits that much more fun as you don't know if fighting for the "#1" QB is really your best bet or if you should go after someone else.

# 34 Allpro1414 @ 06/20/12 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasWVU
This is my favorite add from NCAA this year. Im curious to see how it works out.
I agree this will change everything about recruiting and could cause many smaller scools to rise up with one unexpectedly good recruiting class and vise versa for bigger schools.

# 35 balljonesjr @ 06/20/12 04:34 PM
I haven't had a chance to read all of the comments on this post but I'm curious to know if I'm the only person out here wondering if a player turns out to be a bust could you still play him and his rating raises to his original potential. Like when he's a jr or sr just wondering

# 36 kingsofthevalley @ 06/20/12 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan1993
This has the potential to be a fantastic addition, but I want to see how it is done. I am concerned the CPU will "know" the gems and busts, and thus indicate who they are by having the CPU recruit players they should/shouldn't given their respective star ratings.

I.E. FSU, Bama, USC, OU, etc recruits a 1 star QB; or nobody but bottom tier Sun belt schools recruiting a 5 star QB.

If that doesn't happen this will be a welcomed addition.
Sounds like a great addition but I'm wondering about the omniscient CPU also.

# 37 CT Pitbull @ 06/20/12 07:19 PM
IMO definitely a cool feature to add ...hopefully it works

# 38 Potatoes002 @ 06/20/12 09:48 PM
How does potential work now? Will a 5 star "bust" still progress at a very high rate, even with a big drop in ratings to begin with? Will a 2 star "gem" still progress slowly?

# 39 MONSTERPAYNE @ 06/20/12 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj_28
Like the article says this places an emphasis on recruiting deep classes, that would be a lot easier if they expanded the roster for us. But that is beside the point, I love the idea of having busts and gems for this game. It should make the battle for OD recruits that much more fun as you don't know if fighting for the "#1" QB is really your best bet or if you should go after someone else.
I strongly agree with you on the rosters. I always sign full classes and end up cutting at least 8-11 guys a year b/c I don't have room. I wish they would give us the full 85 schollies and 15 walk on spots. This could also play into recruiting as you could offer preferred walk-on spots to lower rated prospects who have interest in you. If they ever added that in addition to gem/bust you could find some gem walk on guys, which while rare has happened.

# 40 volwalker @ 06/21/12 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoes002
How does potential work now? Will a 5 star "bust" still progress at a very high rate, even with a big drop in ratings to begin with? Will a 2 star "gem" still progress slowly?
I figured that this would still depend on their potential rating or something to that effect.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.