Home
NHL 13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Check out the new NHL 13 screenshots, featuring Claude Giroux, right here.

EA SPORTS AND NHL.COM ANNOUNCE CLAUDE GIROUX AS
FAN-SELECTED EA SPORTS NHL 13 COVER ATHLETE

Cover Athlete Unveiled During Live Broadcast of 2012 NHL Awards

Fans Cast Nearly 26 Million Votes In The First Ever
EA SPORTS NHL Cover Vote Campaign, Sponsored by BlackBerry

REDWOOD CITY, Calif., - June 20, 2012 - Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) and NHL.com announced today during the live broadcast of the 2012 NHL AwardsTM that Philadelphia Flyers forward Claude Giroux has been selected by fans as the EA SPORTS NHL®13 cover athlete. Giroux beat Nashville Predators goalie Pekka Rinne in the final of the first ever EA SPORTS NHL® Cover Vote campaign by less than a one percent margin, in what was the closest matchup of the entire campaign. NHL 13 will be available on September 11, 2012 in North America and September 14, 2012 in Europe.

“The support fans have given me throughout the campaign has been unbelievable,” said Flyers forward Claude Giroux. “I am very excited to be on the cover of NHL 13 and I want to thank everyone who campaigned and voted for me - especially my teammates, the Flyers organization, and of course all the NHL fans who voted and tweeted.”

Between March 29 and June 4, fans cast nearly 26 million votes on NHL.com throughout the campaign, which was sponsored by BlackBerry®. During the finals alone, more than two million votes were cast.

“The level of passion that the fans, players, and NHL teams have displayed throughout the first ever EA SPORTS NHL Cover Vote campaign has been overwhelming,” said Dean Richards, General Manager, NHL, EA SPORTS. “The EA SPORTS NHL Franchise has had a rich tradition of outstanding cover athletes and quality games, and we feel privileged to introduce Claude Giroux as the face of NHL 13 as selected by the fans. With Giroux on the cover and our revolutionary new True Performance Skating engine, we feel great about delivering our most innovative title yet with NHL 13.”

“The EA SPORTS NHL 13 Cover Vote campaign presented by BlackBerry was a success in every measurable way,” said Dave McCarthy, NHL Vice President of Consumer Products Marketing. “From nearly 26 million votes cast, to fan and player engagement across social media platforms, to the validation of NHL.com’s standing as the number one destination for hockey fans, the NHL 13 Cover Vote campaign exceeded our expectations.”

“Congratulations to Claude on being chosen by the fans as the EA SPORTS NHL 13 cover athlete,” said Adam Larry, NHLPA Director of Licensing and Associate Counsel. “We cannot say enough about the amazing job done by all those involved with the EA SPORTS NHL Cover Vote campaign. The terrific support that all 60 participating NHL players received from not only fans and gamers, but also other NHL players, the teams, teammates, friends and Twitter followers, drove the success of the campaign in its first year.”

The NHL 13 Cover Vote campaign gave fans the opportunity to select the face of the EA SPORTS NHL® franchise as they were able to vote for their favorite candidate at http://www.nhl.com/covervote. The campaign was embraced by NHL fans, teams and players who utilized social media platforms to campaign.

NHL 13 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 13 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 jesushaxyou @ 06/20/12 08:29 PM
Hell yea! I'm from Philly so this makes me so happy!

# 2 Flyermania @ 06/20/12 08:56 PM
The game is looking better already!

I guess odds are good they will finally have his correct cyberface in the game.

# 3 SinisterAlex @ 06/20/12 09:13 PM
Picture of the cover:

# 4 13whitebread @ 06/20/12 09:15 PM
I am really glad they picked the Flyers mostly because of there uniforms its better than the predators plus the Flyers have been in the league longer. That orange looks better than the yellow unless it was Boston yellow.

# 5 Garism @ 06/20/12 09:39 PM
Looks great!

Funny how i went on the site to check for some previous results cause i missed a lot but they had results prior to what i watched on CBC lol

# 6 Weapon X @ 06/20/12 09:47 PM
As you can see, I'm clearly happy with the winner.

WX

# 7 savoie2006 @ 06/20/12 09:56 PM
Yippie skippy give great gameplay and a game that's mostly bug free.

# 8 bwiggy33 @ 06/20/12 09:58 PM
Hate the Flyers with a passion and would have really preferred #hartnelldown instead of Giroux but I don't mind Giroux at all. However, I really would have liked Rinne to be on the cover to give the goalies a little love since none have been on since 97. It's only a cover though and honestly I couldn't give a crap because if the gameplay is bad, Giroux will not be in my XBOX.

# 9 savoie2006 @ 06/20/12 10:13 PM
Quote:

It's only a cover though and honestly I couldn't give a crap because if the
gameplay is bad, Giroux will not be in my XBOX.
Yep, the only time I'm gonna look at the cover is right before I open the game. After that, the game stays in my PS3 and the case goes on my DVD/Game stand.

# 10 gopher_guy @ 06/20/12 10:28 PM
Wayta go G!

# 11 Simple Mathematics @ 06/20/12 11:09 PM
Hell yes! Giroux!! Hopefully the game plays as beautiful as the cover looks.

# 12 gopher_guy @ 06/21/12 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
Yippie skippy give great gameplay and a game that's mostly bug free.
Don't understand the snark...

It's not like EA spent a bunch of man hours figuring out who the cover athlete is.

# 13 letsgopens66 @ 06/21/12 12:49 AM
Ugliest cover in the history of EA Sports NHL.

But seriously, I won't be able to look at it all season long, so I'll just use a custom one instead.

# 14 savoie2006 @ 06/21/12 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy

It's not like EA spent a bunch of man hours figuring out who the cover athlete is.
I don't understand the usual concern and or excitement over the cover either. Put a hot woman on the cover and I might care a bit more.

# 15 Vikes1 @ 06/21/12 02:08 AM
I'm just looking forward to putting my fingerprints all over that beautiful cover after I struggle [like every year] to rip the damn plastic wrap off.

# 16 bwiggy33 @ 06/21/12 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy

He's not snarking at all or saying it took man hours for EA. He's saying who really cares about the cover after the time you buy it. All that really matters is the gameplay. The cover isn't going to do anything about that. The cover unveiling really isn't huge news in terms of how this game will play out. Some people like to hear about the cover others don't. It's really just a way to get all of us suckered in to buying the game. They didn't have the cover vote for no reason. I for one can say the cover is in no way influencing me to buy this game, but I'm sure there are people out there who may just do it. I'm sure this works on kids who look at Giroux as an icon now.

# 17 Yeats @ 06/21/12 12:09 PM
Heh, CPU pressuring through the neutral zone and at their blue line is reason enough to buy this game. Finally!

EDIT: Oops, watched the wrong vid. Oh well... CPU defensive pressure finally!

# 18 KyleBucket @ 06/25/12 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgopens66
Ugliest cover in the history of EA Sports NHL.

But seriously, I won't be able to look at it all season long, so I'll just use a custom one instead.

...so what's your excuse to look at Malkin? Is it because you love The Goonies and his look-alike, One-Eyed Willy?

# 19 JezFranco @ 06/26/12 05:56 AM
I wonder who the swedish cover will feature this year. If any local cover available that is...

# 20 hawley088 @ 06/28/12 04:36 PM
still doesnt look like him hahaha, fail ea, fail

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.