Home
News Post

The day has arrived, we now know that College Football's National Champion will definitely be decided by a playoff for the first time ever for the 2014 season. The format seems simple enough: the top four teams as chosen by a selection committee.

The question of by what criteria will the teams be selected has not been finalized. It sounds like, on the surface, that the days of computers and polls deciding the National Champion might be a thing of the past.

So what do you think about the new college football playoff plan? Do you like it? Are you worried about the selection committee aspect?

Sound off!

Member Comments
# 41 lonewolf371 @ 06/23/12 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
The thing is, there are so many teams that have a chance to win it all from the huge conference. I know this is early, but let's take a look at some of the teams from this year and see who would make a hypothetical playoff (these predictions are based off of beyondthebets.com)

Atlantic Coast Champion: Florida State (11 wins)
Big Ten Champion: Ohio State (11 wins)
Big XII Champion: Oklahoma (11 wins)
Pacific Coast Champion: Southern California (11 wins)
Southeastern Conference Champion: Louisiana State (11 wins)
Mountain West Champion: Boise State (10 wins)
Conference USA Champion: Houston (10 wins)

Let's say that Boise State and Houston go above and beyond and win all of their games. If you're part of the selection committee, who do you pick? You go with the teams that draw fans and big ratings.

Right here, you have five teams that fit that bill (and number five is going to bitch about it too). There is no way in this scenario that an undefeated mid-major team is going to jump over a one or two loss team from a power conference. The schedules are in the big conference's favor, as well as the ratings and travel.

It's better to cut the mid-major teams off now and let them have a chance at their own playoff than to drag them along again and be upset about not being in a power conference.
Kinda funny seeing tOSU as Big Ten champs considering they aren't eligible for it.

# 42 coogrfan @ 06/23/12 03:33 PM
Quote:
It's better to cut the mid-major teams off now and let them have a chance at their own playoff than to drag them along again and be upset about not being in a power conference.

"Separate but equal" was BS 50 years ago, and it remains BS now.

# 43 DerkontheOS @ 06/24/12 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan

Best post I have seen on here in awhile. I'm a Boise fan and I get tired of hearing about the big conferences only deserve a bid in this playoff.

# 44 ubernoob @ 06/24/12 02:40 AM
They don't deserver a spot if they have the same record. It's just how it is. Go roll in a big boys conference if you wanna play like them.

I'd rather not see a playoff, and go back to bowls being conference-tied like they used to be. It's college football, who cares about a National Champion. Half of the fun is talking about the games that could have been.

4 teams is not enough if they are set on keeping this "playoff."

# 45 Rocky @ 06/24/12 10:46 AM
Quote:
The thing is, there are so many teams that have a chance to win it all from the huge conference. I know this is early, but let's take a look at some of the teams from this year and see who would make a hypothetical playoff (these predictions are based off of beyondthebets.com)

Atlantic Coast Champion: Florida State (11 wins)
Big Ten Champion: Ohio State (11 wins)
Big XII Champion: Oklahoma (11 wins)
Pacific Coast Champion: Southern California (11 wins)
Southeastern Conference Champion: Louisiana State (11 wins)
Mountain West Champion: Boise State (10 wins)
Conference USA Champion: Houston (10 wins)

Let's say that Boise State and Houston go above and beyond and win all of their games. If you're part of the selection committee, who do you pick? You go with the teams that draw fans and big ratings.

Right here, you have five teams that fit that bill (and number five is going to bitch about it too). There is no way in this scenario that an undefeated mid-major team is going to jump over a one or two loss team from a power conference. The schedules are in the big conference's favor, as well as the ratings and travel.

It depends on if Houston beat good teams along the way and how they played. Say Houston beats a decent big conference teams (say South Carolina and Baylor) and beat all the good in conference teams impressively. I would have no problem at all putting them over a 10-3 FSU or Oklahoma team.

# 46 Perfect Zero @ 06/24/12 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan

Comparing the segregation of human beings to the segregation of football teams is a stretch don't you think? If you want to be in a position to play for a championship, you need to play at your level. As long as the power conferences have the say, Houston doesn't have a chance in the four team playoff.

# 47 Perfect Zero @ 06/24/12 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
It depends on if Houston beat good teams along the way and how they played. Say Houston beats a decent big conference teams (say South Carolina and Baylor) and beat all the good in conference teams impressively. I would have no problem at all putting them over a 10-3 FSU or Oklahoma team.
That's the problem though. If you win the SEC, the B1G, the PAC-12 and the Big XII, you have faced tough opponents from the start, plus you had to win an extra championship game. It's great if a team like Boise beats the **** out of Miami of Ohio, but it doesn't compare to the ins and outs of the big conferences.

The playoff is made for these big conferences. That's why nobody cars about what the Big East or ACC think. That's why you are going to see a split between the teams of the upper division. That's why I made those comments. Either you pull the band aid off slowly or you rip it off.

# 48 Perfect Zero @ 06/24/12 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balcobomber25
Until they eliminate the BCS entirely from the equation nothing is going to change. "The top 4 teams as picked by a selection committee" which means if it comes down to a 12-0 Boise State or a 11-1 LSU the selections committee is going to pick LSU 10 times out of 10. Starting in 2014 we will be faced with a whole new end of year debate, how did "insert team name here" get left out of the playoff meanwhile "team with more losses got in". Amazingly every other level of college sports has been able to form a playoff system pitting all the individual conference champions against each other but it still eludes the highest level of play.
Once people get past the "mistique of the regular season," it will be what people want it to be. I used to be one of the biggest BCS defenders, but since people wanted all of this change, I've come full circle. If you want the change, you have to change it all.

# 49 Buckeyes_Doc @ 06/24/12 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernoob
They don't deserver a spot if they have the same record. It's just how it is. Go roll in a big boys conference if you wanna play like them.

I'd rather not see a playoff, and go back to bowls being conference-tied like they used to be. It's college football, who cares about a National Champion. Half of the fun is talking about the games that could have been.

4 teams is not enough if they are set on keeping this "playoff."
I think the majority of people who watch college football care about a National Champion.

# 50 Perfect Zero @ 06/24/12 03:06 PM
Quote:
Need to play at your level. Is LSU playing at their level by playing the power houses known as North Texas, Towson and Idaho or Auburn playing ULM, New Mexico State and Alabama A&M? This is the problem with the "play at your level" theory. Too many of these power house teams schedule cupcake games so they can blow them out and raise their BCS ratings.
It's a typo. I meant to say "play at their level."

# 51 rovert22044 @ 06/24/12 03:27 PM
Absolutely. I always wanted some sort of playoff format in the NCAA. I think this will give teams that had harder schedules a chance to get to the BCS National Championship.

For example, a team that has a decently tough schedule and goes undefeated, but one team has a very tough schedule loses two games, the better team has the chance to win. How good a team is not always based off record, it's based off performances against other top teams. So this plan will balance it out.

# 52 Rocky @ 06/24/12 04:12 PM
Quote:
That's the problem though. If you win the SEC, the B1G, the PAC-12 and the Big XII, you have faced tough opponents from the start, plus you had to win an extra championship game. It's great if a team like Boise beats the **** out of Miami of Ohio, but it doesn't compare to the ins and outs of the big conferences.
That would be true if you win the SEC, the B1G, the PAC-12 and the Big XII, you have faced tough opponents from the start. But I think we both know that it's not the case...especially when we have seen winners of these conferences and divisions of these conferences get blasted by great mid-major programs on a routine basis.

Are the opponents of BCS conference teams tougher from week to week? Absolutely....no doubt about it. Does that give a BCS champion that doesn't schedule tough OOC opponents, doesn't play anyone on the road, and STILL drops 2 or 3 games in their conference an advantage over an undefeated mid-major team who beats BCS teams on the road? Absolutely not....which is why we need trasparency with the selection committee so we can see the idiots who vote those BCS teams in.

# 53 tril @ 06/24/12 06:16 PM
since theres alwasy a debate as to who is the #1 #2 team in the country.
Id have a system where its a 6 team playoff system the #1 and #2 teams get a 1 week bye
and the
#3 team plays the #6 team
#4 team plays #5 team

then the #1 seed gets the lowest ranked tema left satnding
#2 team gets the other

Id also make the season a 10 or 11 game season, and strength of schedule would also be part of teh equation.

# 54 Perfect Zero @ 06/24/12 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
That would be true if you win the SEC, the B1G, the PAC-12 and the Big XII, you have faced tough opponents from the start. But I think we both know that it's not the case...especially when we have seen winners of these conferences and divisions of these conferences get blasted by great mid-major programs on a routine basis.

Are the opponents of BCS conference teams tougher from week to week? Absolutely....no doubt about it. Does that give a BCS champion that doesn't schedule tough OOC opponents, doesn't play anyone on the road, and STILL drops 2 or 3 games in their conference an advantage over an undefeated mid-major team who beats BCS teams on the road? Absolutely not....which is why we need trasparency with the selection committee so we can see the idiots who vote those BCS teams in.
If you get transparency, all you'll know year after year is that the same people who cash the checks are the same people who set up the system. If there is a top level team that has one or two losses in conference going up against an undefeated mid-major team, the top team is going to win out most if not all of the time. Teams from the top conferences pull in more money than Boise State or any other mid-major team will pull in. It's all about the money.

# 55 nick p @ 06/25/12 01:44 AM
If the BCS really wanted to make this 4 team playoff idea interesting, they would give the nation's top mid-major one of the 4 bids.

# 56 coogrfan @ 06/25/12 11:46 AM
Quote:
Comparing the segregation of human beings to the segregation of football teams is a stretch don't you think?
Perhaps, but the principal is the same. Jim Crow laws were intended to create and maintain a permanent underclass of citizens. The system you have repeatedly advocated in your posts would create a permanent underclass of cfb programs. What's worse, you would deny the have-nots any hope of ever improving themselves. That's fundamentally un-American.

Quote:
If you want to be in a position to play for a championship, you need to play at your level.

Or in other words "take whatever crumbs the self-annointed Big 4 see fit to throw your way". Screw that.

Quote:
As long as the power conferences have the say, Houston doesn't have a chance in the four team playoff.
I could say the same of Northwestern, Purdue, Minnesota, Indiana, Iowa State, Kansas, Vandy, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Oregon State, Arizona, Arizona State and Colorado.

For some reason you would let those schools enjoy the benefits of membership in your little club, while the likes of FSU, Va Tech, Clemson, GT, Miami, UNC, Louisville, Cinci, USF, Rutgers, Boise State, Nevada (and yes, Houston) get consigned to the scrap heap. Every one of these schools has more history, tradition and potential than the Big 4 lower class I described. Why should any of the left behinds accept for one second being consigned to cfb oblivion?

# 57 coogrfan @ 06/25/12 11:49 AM
Quote:
Once people get past the "mistique of the regular season," it will be what people want it to be. I used to be one of the biggest BCS defenders, but since people wanted all of this change, I've come full circle. If you want the change, you have to change it all.
Cfb has the best regular season in sports. Why would anyone in his right mind want to do anything that might diminish that?

# 58 seasprite @ 06/25/12 02:01 PM
Quote:
Need to play at your level. Is LSU playing at their level by playing the power houses known as North Texas, Towson and Idaho or Auburn playing ULM, New Mexico State and Alabama A&M? This is the problem with the "play at your level" theory. Too many of these power house teams schedule cupcake games so they can blow them out and raise their BCS ratings.
You seriously think that LSU, BAMA, or any other powerhouse team in the SEC gets a raise in their BCS ratings for beating New Mexico State type teams?

# 59 seasprite @ 06/25/12 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick p
If the BCS really wanted to make this 4 team playoff idea interesting, they would give the nation's top mid-major one of the 4 bids.
Why? To reward them for playing a pathetic schedule with the highest ranked opponent being in the 50-65 range? Thats a terrible idea imo

# 60 jmood88 @ 06/25/12 02:17 PM
The selection committee needs to go but I'm glad that they're taking steps to get to a post-season system that makes sense.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.